Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Price of 996TT sport suspension (-2cm)

In Germany, the official 996TT sport suspension which will be offered starting in January 2003 will cost EUR 1,700 plus VAT.

Re: Price of 996TT sport suspension (-2cm)

Retrofit possible too?

Sorry, don't know (nt)

nt

Got some info...

...indicating that on the 996 Turbo and C4 S, a retrofit will be possible. This info isn't officially confirmed yet.

good news!!! (nt)

Re: Price of 996TT sport suspension (-2cm)

What do you get with the sport suspension?

No details yet but...

...as far as I heard: shocks, springs, front swaybar.

Re: Details...

I hear the Sport Suspension will be offered through the Exclusive Department and that it will lower the car 20mm.

It won't be offered in the U.S. due to compliance issues.

Dock, you should...

...visit Rennteam.com more often, my friend.

Check this old link on our forum:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=996turbo&Number=2347&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Re: I agree.

At least my source has the same information (except for the U.S. availability).

GT2 settings?

Hi Christian,
    It sounds like the Turbo will get the GT2 suspension right?
    I haven't had the C4C for a year yet that I alreadt want to replace, cabriolet is fun but noisy on the motorway and I travel a lot so..
    Obviously, the turbo is my firts choice, and as you know, I've always thought that the lower a car, the better it looks.
    Do you think it will lose a lot of its comfort? and most of all, will it be difficult to drive in town with it.
    How do you cope GT3 and GT2 owners?
    Thanks for the replies,
    Fanch.

Ear plugs

Hi Fanch,

The road noise on the Turbo is terrible -- probably worse than what you've already got. And I would guess that the sports suspension would make matters worse still. The noise it tyre noise.

Lately I have taken to wearing ear plugs when driving the Turbo fast. It makes a very big difference to my comfort level while driving. I have also noticed ringing in my ears after a long trip so obviously the noise level is high enough to cause hearing loss. I highly recommend wearing ear plugs!

S.

Re: Ear plugs

Waoh!
    Sorry to hear that.
    I think you're the fist man I meet who complains that the turbo makes too much noise, usually, owners complains that it sounds too quiet.
    Maybe you should change tyres, I don't know?
    Fanch.

Re: Ear plugs

Most people are are looking for exhaust noise and not tyre noise. Tyre noise is unpleasant however you look at it. Yes, the Pirellis are noiser than most but what choices do I have???

To their defence I should add that I am often driving on concrete highways which can be especially unpleasant.

As a pilot, I'm well aware of the noise issue. High levels of low frequency noise is a big problem in general aviation aircraft. We have some very nice solutions in aviation. I just bought these for that purpose:

http://www.telex.com/aircraft/products.nsf/allpages/E51D4700AE05E38386256BDE00720496

Very nice!!! I even used them on my last trans-Atlantic flight with Air France. Incredible! All of the sudden the in-flight movie sounded the way it should and you could hear all of the conversations going on throughout the aircraft. Just don't do it on a domestic USA flight else your fellow passengers will execute you as a terrorist provention measure.

S.

Re: GT2 settings?

No, the suspension setup on the GT2 is completely different. The GT2 is suspension-wise based on the GT3. The 996 Turbo's suspension is based on the 996 C4.
    The sport suspension kit for the 996 Turbo will NOT be hight adjustable as far as I heard.

Regarding FixedWing and his tire noise: my Turbo is VERY loud and not because of the tires. It doesn't bother me much and it gets much better at high speeds because the wind noise covers the engine and tire noise.
    On the OEM setup, the Turbo is actually a pretty quiet car. I suspect that something is wrong with FixedWing's car. I don't think that the tires alone cause that noise, especially over 200 kph the tire noise is negligable.

Sensitive ears

Guess my ears are getting more sensitive in my old age.

Seriously, the tyre noise I hear has been present since the car was new and through a few sets of tyres. I cannot say that you are wrong though. Wish I had something to compare.

Remember, I did say on concrete highways... The noise is especially loud on those types of roads. On blacktop it isn't nearly as bad. Though now I prefer earplugs even then. Yes, I really do think I'm growing old and sensitive.

RC: on your German language forum there is something about the Pirelli Corsa which lists the Turbo. What is that about??

S.

CORSA

Our user friend pierre was so kind to post a list with recommended tire pressures for the CORSA on different Porsche models.
    The left column shows the pressure on cold tires, the right column shows the pressure on hot tires.
    Pirelli also gives some interesting (and important) advise regarding "burn-in" on new CORSA tires, how to treat them and when to check tire pressure, especially after track racing and before street driving.
    It is also very interesting, that Pirelli recommends the hot tire pressure on cold tires for streetdriving.
    To say it in a few words: never drive with track recommended tire pressures on the street.

If more people are interested, I could try to translate it.

Re: CORSA

So if Pirelli is publishing this info, does this also mean that the Corsa is approved on the 996 Turbo?

Also, I've heard recently that the Michelin Sport Cup tyre is now being made in the Turbo size. Do you know anything about this??

I'm thinking of getting a set for my extra rims. I prefer the Cup tyre if I can get it. The Corsa if not.

S.

No, Porsche does not officially approve the CORSA for the 996 Turbo. Only N-rated tires are approved because N-rated tires always have the same compound, same tread, etc.
    This is very important because of the rear engine setup and top speed certification.

Pirelli states that the CORSA is streetlegal in Europe (I don't know about the US) but on the other hand I heard that the CORSA has a Pirelli certification for a top speed of 290 kph (181 mph) only. If true, this would make the CORSA illegal on the 996 Turbo/GT2 and GT3 for streetdriving in some EC countries, especially in Germany.

I don't know much about the new Michelin Cup tire but I heard some bad things about the Dunlop Supersport on the 996 Turbo and GT3. But I think it also depends a lot on the driver.

According to the Perilli information, the Corsa is rated for 340 kph.

I'm running the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on my 02 Turbo. 225/40's on front and 285/30's on rear. This has proven an excellent combination on the track and the road. The rolling diameter's are equal and therefore are not an issue for PSM. The tires have tons of stick on the track (compared to Pirelli C's - but I haven't tried Corsa's yet). Also, I've found the slightly smaller rears help balance the car's understeer tendency.

Best of all they are quieter and were balanced properly the first time and have stayed balanced so far. I ran 3 complete sets of Pirelli's before the Michelins and despite numerous re-balancings, the car was never vibration free during the entire first 23,000 km's.

Just a guess, but you may be experiencing a low level drone that you are equating to loud tires. This is a result of unbalanced tire/wheel vibration as opposed to tire/ road noise. This was what I heard most of the first 23K's and it drove me nuts! I do not think my car will see Pirelli's again.

One additional consideration in case you haven't run "R compound" tires. They wear 3 to 4 times quicker than regular tires and although they are suprisingly grippy in the wet, they are downright scary in heavy rain due to aquaplaning

Very interesting Steve ...

Yes I have the droaning sound (especially under braking). This is in addition to the tyre noise I hear. And in addition to the various vibrations. And yes I do think it is the Pirellis. I'm getting to really not like Pirellis on this car.

I think the wear you mention might be correct for the street but I've heard that "R" tyres might last longer than regular street tyres if used exclusively on the track. They are better fomulated for the heat whereas street tyres tend to overheat and then wear quickly.

I have two sets of rims and I'm considering installing a set of Corsa or Cup tyres on one set of rims and leaving regular street tyres on the other.

Do you have the problem of the sticky Cup tyres picking up stones and pebbles and chipping the paint??

S.

In reply to:
    I heard some bad things about the Dunlop Supersport on the 996 Turbo and GT3.

Funny, I heard exactly the opposite 10 days ago!... Someone told me the new Dunlop (is it the Supersport?) is as good as the P-Zero Corsa on the dry, and much better on the wet and in heavy rain...
    I personnally had a set of Corsa for a 4-days training at the Nordschleife, and was totally happy with them. I'm going to Hockenheim next week, so I kept the Corsa for the meantime. They're impressive, that's for sure. But don't expect to have a quiet drive with them!...

Greetings,
    --Pierre

Steve, what is the approximate width difference between the 285 vs 295 Sport Cups?

Re: GT2 settings?

Your turbo is very loud?
    What modifications did you do to it?
    Did you put a different exhaust than stock?

Can this be a multiple choice question? How about approximately 10 mm?

I get your point. I guess it is that Turbo owners get hammered into them that Porsche has chosen this unusual tyre size for a reason and therefore nothing else can be substituted. But maybe this isn't so reasonable after all?

S.

cjv

Do you have any official info on this (booklet, website, any official document, etc.)? It would be very important for us to have a precise speed certification for the CORSA because the information I got is pretty confusing.

Today I talked to a well known Tuner over here in Germany and he has the same info, 290 kph top speed certification for the Corsa.

BTW: 340 kph sounds way too high for a "semi-slick". But of course I can't exclude it as long as I don't have any official info on this.
    The "C" had a certification below 300 kph as far as I remember.

Oh boy...

...one can't rely on things people tell.

One observation I made over the past few years is the following: some people buy a certain product. This product proves to be inferior or not what they expected. Now me, you and maybe others would say "what a crap, let's get rid of it". These people usually try it again and again and again because they can't believe they spent so much money for...crap.

I didn't drive the Dunlop Super Sport personally, so I can't say much about it. I did drive the P-Zero Corsa for a short period of time and I liked it, although I hadn't the chance to drive it on wet pavement.
    I did drive the P-Zero C a few times and I liked it too but on the wet, this tire is horror.

A last thought: some people blame the tires for their inferior driving skills. It is sometimes funny to see how people on OEM factory tires outrun cars with "C"s and Corsas, talking about the same car.
    The two people I talked to about the Dunlop Super Sport drove it on the GT3 and both are very good and experienced drivers. They ordered now the Corsa but didn't get it yet.
    As soon as they drove it, I'll post their personal experience.
    Right now, the Corsa is VERY hard to get in Germany and this is one reason why a lot of track addicts switch to the Super Sport or the Michelin.

Re: Paint Chips from sticky tires

Fixed Wing, there is no doubt that when you get off the track after some hot laps, pebbles stick to the tires and get thrown about which can cause paint chips. I find that during road driving, they do not get hot enough to become sticky.

Also I would not advocate "R" compound tires like Corsas or Sport Cups unless you spend the majority of time on the track. Many people have two sets of rims with the appropriate tires for each, one for track and one for street. I drive mine almost exclusively for track days, so I just use the Sport Cups.

Right, Steve!

Two sets of rims/tires (one for the track, one for the street) are highly recommended.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779565 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442305 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263143 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85667 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5832 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881137 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817784 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM