Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2016 Bahrain F1 Grand Prix at Sakhir

Bahrain next

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2016 Bahrain F1 Grand Prix at Sakhir

Go Kimi and Seb. 

Would love to see Ferrari put Merc under pressure and think they will this season. Lets hope Kimi has better luck too.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

He really has had the worst luck the last couple of seasons.

apias:

He really has had the worst luck the last couple of seasons.

+1. Especially with Ferrari. He tends to do better with other teams. 

Whatever happened to the credo that 'you make your own luck'...

--

"Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Somehow, I'm not sure that applies when your car catches on fire, unless you are Michael Wekerle.

Who???

--

What's the verdict about the halo models with regards to Alonso's scary crash? I read somewhere, I lost the link, today that they were saying it would make things more dangerous potentially for the drivers in certain crashes.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Oh, god, the elimination qualifying is back on for Bahrain. They want to see just how much of a disaster it really is. The drivers are right, the governance of F1 is so screwed up that it's becoming a clown show.

I think that there is so much panic in Bernie that it looks like it is a last remedy cure for the f1....they don't know what and how to do  to bring the real F1 back....at least give them how many tyres the pilots wants....

--

993 c2

As anyone who has read any of my posts on the subject knows, I'm not a huge Lewis Hamilton fan. That being said, he seems to be the only one talking sense about next years proposed cars:

"It's not our job to come up with ideas and we all have different opinions anyway," [Hamilton] said. "But personally, I think we need more mechanical grip and less aero wake coming off the back of the cars so we can get close and overtake. Give us five seconds' worth of lap time from aero and nothing will change - we'll just be driving faster."

How is this not completely obvious to anyone else in the sport? Less aero, more mechanical grip is exactly one of the things the sport desperately needs. The modern aero era has been the worst thing that ever happened, would be one of the easiest problems in the sport to fix, and would go a long way toward the cost containment they are always looking for since aero development is one of the more expensive areas of R&D.

What is wrong with the people running F1? I assume that many people in F1 are smarter than me, particularly in the area of motorsport, but this just seems so basic and so obvious that I cannot begin to understand why they are doing the exact opposite of this.

+1 

--

Alonso out of Bahrain GP...surprise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35934347

--

Disappointing to hear, but not altogether surprising, that he had some injury we hadn't heard about. He's very lucky it was only as bad as that, that could have been a life threatening injury.

Wow, they really have to kill this new qualifying format and revert to the previous format for the next race. Again, what a yawner. Every bit of excitement and tension of the previous format wiped out of it. Q3 was marginally less bad, and only because Hamilton lost it on the last turn on his first lap, but Q1 & Q2 were as boring as anything I've ever seen, in or out of F1. Like watching golf, with the cameras on someone with no chance to win.

If they don't revert qualifying to the previous format, there will be very few spectators in attendance at the next event - or watching on TV for that matter...mail

--

An interesting race back in the pack. Great result for Haas, although only half so. Bad day for Williams after a great start (sort of), and a bad day for Ferrari/Vettel. Maybe this is the season we see what Hamilton is made of: Two bad starts, the frustration will set in if this repeats in China, how will he handle it from here on out? Congratulations to Rosberg, five in a row.

Oh, and now talk of a completely different new qualifying format, aggregate times, or something like that. (I guess that's to punish mistakes like Hamilton's in his first Q3 lap, and maybe force the cars to do multiple laps and stay out on track.) It's hard to imagine that it could be worse than what we've seen, but I think they had a really good, suspenseful format with the previous, so it's hard to see how this will be much of an improvement if they stick with aspects of the current format. The elimination aspect is really the problem, so it would be a huge mistake to cling to that in Q1 & Q2.

+1... A great result for Haas and also for Max in 6th place...

--

apias:

An interesting race back in the pack. Great result for Haas, although only half so. Bad day for Williams after a great start (sort of), and a bad day for Ferrari/Vettel. Maybe this is the season we see what Hamilton is made of: Two bad starts, the frustration will set in if this repeats in China, how will he handle it from here on out? Congratulations to Rosberg, five in a row.

Oh, and now talk of a completely different new qualifying format, aggregate times, or something like that. (I guess that's to punish mistakes like Hamilton's in his first Q3 lap, and maybe force the cars to do multiple laps and stay out on track.) It's hard to imagine that it could be worse than what we've seen, but I think they had a really good, suspenseful format with the previous, so it's hard to see how this will be much of an improvement if they stick with aspects of the current format. The elimination aspect is really the problem, so it would be a huge mistake to cling to that in Q1 & Q2.

I think we saw what HAM was capable of in 2014 crawling his way back to win the title after many setbacks.

Congrats to fellow Belgian Vandoorne as well, what a great 1st drive! Smiley

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Porker:

I think we saw what HAM was capable of in 2014 crawling his way back to win the title after many setbacks.

If I correctly recall it, a lot of that, "crawling his way back," consisted of Rosberg's car's unreliability in the second half of the season. In fairness, a lot of the hole he "crawled" out of was dug by the unreliability of his own car early in the season. But he was whiney through most of the season.

So far, this season, he seems a bit different. No complaining that I've heard of, no berating the team over the radio that I've heard, and taking the initiative to congratulate Rosberg after each race. I take all that as positive signs that we might see a different, more mature Hamilton this year. I hope so.

Definitely a more mature Hamilton this year. No doubt whatsoever. 

I enjoyed last night's race, but most of all I felt sorry for button. I reckon he could have scored some serious points had the car lasted!

So, here's how I think the teams should handle the current qualifying disaster:

Apparently, Ecclestone and Todt are refusing to revert to the previous format. (I think this is primarily ego driven, as they don't want to now admit that the previous format was actually pretty good and should have been left alone.) My understanding is that they can't make a change without all parties agreeing. However, the teams want to revert to the previous format, which isn't being allowed for consideration. Since none of the options that are being floated for consideration seem very good, the teams should simply stand firm on their demand of returning to the previous format.

What this will mean is that the current elimination format will remain in effect. But, as this becomes more and more a disaster for race promoters and broadcasters, the firestorm of pressure on Ecclestone and Todt to "fix qualifying" will continue to build as the season progresses. I think eventually the disaster will build to such proportions that Ecclestone and Todt will have to drop their ridiculous ideas and revert to the previous format as the teams, and pretty much everyone else with an interest in the sport, including the ever decreasing number of fans, want them to do.

Why should the teams be willing to do this? Well, frankly, I don't see the current qualifying format hurting them directly. It's hurting the sport, yes, but it's not really affecting race outcomes; the cars are more or less lining up on the grid where they did last year and where we'd expect them to based on the quality of the car they bring to the race -- i.e., the new format has not achieved its questionable goal of mixing things up on the grid and has basically had no effect on the results. It's hurting F1 and race promoters much more, and F1 are the ones creating the problem, so let them suffer this problem of their own making.

The teams don't really have much to lose at this point by digging in and just saying no to another bad plan just to get out of the disaster that is qualifying today. The old qualifying system did what it was supposed to do very well, and was actually pretty suspenseful right down to the checkered flag (and beyond for flying laps) in all sessions. Unless someone can come up with a new plan that is, on analysis, better than the old, why agree to change to some new bad plan?

apias:
    Porker:

If I correctly recall it, a lot of that, "crawling his way back," consisted of Rosberg's car's unreliability in the second half of the season. In fairness, a lot of the hole he "crawled" out of was dug by the unreliability of his own car early in the season. But he was whiney through most of the season.

So far, this season, he seems a bit different. No complaining that I've heard of, no berating the team over the radio that I've heard, and taking the initiative to congratulate Rosberg after each race. I take all that as positive signs that we might see a different, more mature Hamilton this year. I hope so.

I agree to a point, I'm not always a fan of his behaviour, but I've always been a supporter of his driving. Whining is something most F1 drivers appear to have in common when times are bad but I agree HAM is acting differently this season, at ease with himself.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760864 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434465 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260059 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257193 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80778 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871379 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806585 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM