Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Color Decision... AHHHHHH!!!! help!

I go in tomorrow to make my final decisions on my TT order. Let me start by saying that my most recent infatuation with porsche is a result of a day of the track with my M3. If it werent for that day, I would not have a TT on order right now! It wasnt the TT that I got hooked on exactly, but some 996 GT3's that were running the track. so I started on my quest to track down a 997 GT3 spot. as we all know, thats nearly impossible. But what I did find was a 997TT April build, so I settled with that. So thats where I am today, and am very happy with my choice. so now its time to make the big decision. WHAT COLOR TO GO WITH!!! I have never ever ever wanted a white car. ever ever. HOWEVER, the car that I liked the most from that day at the track was a White GT3. I thought my decision was made: Cararra White. done deal. well now I am getting wishy washy on it. If you asked what color I liked most, it would be silver or a grey silver of some sort. my reasoning for not getting these colors is that they are simply too common. My M3 is Silver Grey, and Im getting an X5 that will be black or Silver Grey as well. and Im sure that 75% of the Porsches in Orange County are Black, Silver or somewhere in between. so can someone PLEASE convince me that I am going with the right choice with White?

Carrara White - Black Full Leather - Guards Red Instrument - Guards Red Seatbelts - Deviated Stitchin Guards Red (I am not going with PCCB so thats why I am picking Red) - and Ill be getting some Techart Formula wheels (black with chrome lip)

any thoughts? thanks!

Re: Color Decision... AHHHHHH!!!! help!

go with WHITE you don't regret it!! NEVER!!!!!!!!!!

i love my white Turbo!

I was in the same position some months ago. After much hand wringing, I went with Midnight Blue Metallic/Sand Beige. I felt this was somewhat different that the usual Silver/Black choices that most people make. My build date is in May (so I'm told). I have not seen another 997TT with this color combination. White is good, and is my first choice for a 997 GT3. I just don't like the white on a 997TT with its standard body work, as it just is not as exciting ans the nose and tail of the GT3, along with the rather large rear wing. I would get tired of white on a 997TT.

slate grey with PCCB - a combo to die for

You are making a good decision with white, especially in a generally sunny area. I have a white Carrera S as an interim car while I wait for my 997TT build slot, and have loved the clean look of the car in the Washington, DC area. I had a midnight blue 996TT (graphite interior), and ultimately tired of it because it was (a) hard to keep clean, and (b) looked hot in the summer. I have gotten so many more compliments on my white car, compared to the blue one, which I believe it due to the car's attractive presentation.

You might consider the model delete option on the rear lid--I think it gives the car a clean, elemental look...

I wold recommend you to go with meteor with 2 tone interior black-stone grey.

Slate grey is nice as well as atlas grey...

Good luck with your color decision, whatever the color you chose you'll the car!

hmmm, What I recommend is to ask yourself , what color is your favorite color for this car regardless of re-sale, or too many on the road, or too many grey/silver, black or too hard to keep clean, etc. If you go this route, you will never regret. It has worked for me everytime. Good luck

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    hmmm, What I recommend is to ask yourself , what color is your favorite color for this car regardless of re-sale, or too many on the road, or too many grey/silver, black or too hard to keep clean, etc. If you go this route, you will never regret. It has worked for me everytime. Good luck

And thats why Arctic Silver...has to be given utmost consideration

Darker colors are more under the radar. The lighter shades highlight all the vents, take away from the lines of the car imo.
    Midnight blue for me.

Quote:
    C4S Surgeon said:
    Darker colors are more under the radar. The lighter shades highlight all the vents, take away from the lines of the car imo.
    Midnight blue for me.

For me a sport car has to be a bright color ( White, Red, Yellow, maybe even silver...) You can see a white carrera from a mile away and hopefully you are not over the speed limit They look bigger than they really are . There is no substiutue for a white TT on the road. Everybody is different though!!!

Know this may be a little late but I think white looks stunning on the turbo and your specification sounds great- quite similar to my dad's in fact which arrives soon! You will not regret getting it in white!

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    For me a sport car has to be a bright color ( White, Red, Yellow, maybe even silver...)

Without a doubt.

I would add back-rest seats in exterior color, and cancel the red speedometer... hard to read with the needles in red/orange... but overall amazing choice... got a white C2S cab. myself :-)

I am not against unusual colors on a Porsche (my 996 was orange) and love white on cars as much as it's unpopular today (when I travelled to Dubai a few years ago, where white cars are very common, I was always amazed to see how well certain models looked in white although I had never seen them in the West). I hence admire those who can spec out a new Turbo like our Italian friend above. And remember, many say that white is the new silver ;-). However, consider that (in order of importance);
    a) the Turbo is a very old school styled car in terms of the dozens of bits and pieces Porsche didn't bother to paint. Just take a look at the pick above. This will make the car look less cohesive and modern as time goes by (and most importantly taller and less squat/low to the ground, particularly if you don't opt for the painted bottom). The car is also full of "holes" which are black by definition.
    b) also due to the above, the lighter the color the less aggressive and less supercar-like the car will look. Cosider the front lip (which must stay unpainted, believe me, or you'll scratch it into oblivion in three weeks) and how it doesn't even look like it's part of the car on lighter colors. This has the effect of making the car appear less sporty. Same for a number of other details.
    c) The gt3 looks good in white because it's a lot more fluid in terms of lines. Also it's a racer and as such white is appropriate but above all IT IS already slammed to the ground whereas a turbo looks like a jeep side by side and very unracy by comparison.
    d) The car screams for a sensuous but bad color that says I am a (practical) supercar. It really becomes way too ordinary in silver or gray BUT cheesy in red (because it doesn't have a supercar stance; there is a lot of metal above ground and it's not all painted, plust it's just plain bigger/taller than a true supercar). I truly loved the 993 tt in red, but this car looses in that color because it has too many black parts and holes. So you need a color that can make it aggressive without losing elegance, and that can only be Black. Blue would do the job, but it's too executive sedan like and hence doesn't push the sporty side enough. Black does the job and, amazingly, even accentuates the curves that need to stand out (the broad rear shoulders) while it hides the unsightly details Porsche was to cheap to integrate. And with a black interior (perhaps with grey stitches like mine) it becomes tenebrous and aggressive yet elegant (my neighbour has a black on beige interior and the car is a lot more ordinary in my view) because you can't see the inside and the whole ensemble is suddendly quite fluid and menacing (it's the fastest thing on the road don't forget, so it should make an effort to look the part).
    e) Even a gt3 is nice in white but stunning in black (or yellow for that matter).
    f) Even in the bay area you'll have a hard time selling a white turbo. If you gotta go for a bright light color think of yellow, which will have all of the problem as above but should sell ok in that part of the globe, and still screams supercar (although in a Gt2 or Gt3 kind of way and hence not right for the TT in my view).
    As I said, I got mine in black and.... never looked back. Every time I look I find a new angle to appreciate, something new to get a little excited about. Given this would otherwise not the best styled 997 in my view and I was originally quite critical of it, that's quite a testament to the goodness of this shade.
    And most people seem to agree; I live in an area with the highest concentration of supercars in the world, yet can't leave it parked 30 minutes without tourists starting to scramble for pics. Wouldn't be that way if it was silver I think.

Sports cars are sporty and as such, demand to be painted in something other than silver or whilte or black. Go out on a limb if you're bothering to order a car from scratch. Get something that you'll NEVER see opposite you at an intersection. I sure as hell never do.

Dan

totally agree... step out of the box with gt3rs green...or perhaps fly yellow with green or terracotta seats.

go for Whtie white white .........avi8tir

thanks for all of the input guys. I have settled on white. still working out the fine details on interior, but when I do Ill post my full list of option codes. Thanks!

Settled?....you mean you have "Chosen" white.....go for the black and sand interior.....it's yummy!

Quote:
    FSU-997TT said:
    Settled?....you mean you have "Chosen" white.....go for the black and sand interior.....it's yummy!

I like that interior, but Ive got Cinnamon on My M3. similar to that, but more of an orange. I really want an all black interior with certain "extra" touches (stitching and a few painted pieces)

Go for yellow, you'll never regret it!

White's not a color. It's a PRIMER!

Wish we were as brave as you to go with mexico blue but have to stick with the boaring PRIMER, no color white.

Thanks Porschist for this great insight. It's certainly one of the best posts to the topic of 911-color I've ever read.

Peter

Very interesting post.

Yes, if I were choosing a GT3 or a TT, I would choose black/black.

But for a Carrera S like mine, I went for a subtle colour combination which doesn't scream out for attention. That's one of the reason why I chose GT Silver/Cocoa. It has a beautifully sophisticated look with a deep lustre. The Cocoa looks and feels so warm to the eye. My wife says that when she sits in the car she feels like she is being hugged by dark chocolate!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777786 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441917 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262877 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261104 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85365 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880780 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816275 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM