Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Distance yourself from the Cayman S.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/pressreleases/pag/?pool=international-de&id=2006-11-02

" In October 2006, the Boxster model series accelerated strongly to 875 vehicles (previous year: 571), with the new Cayman and the Cayman S selling 580 units."

571 Cayman, 295 boxster

Not 2:1 ratio but 1.9:1 ratio

close enuff

Quote:
    chows4us said:
    http://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/pressreleases/pag/?pool=international-de&id=2006-11-02

" In October 2006, the Boxster model series accelerated strongly to 875 vehicles (previous year: 571), with the new Cayman and the Cayman S selling 580 units."

571 Cayman, 295 boxster

Not 2:1 ratio but 1.9:1 ratio

close enuff

This includes cars which have been registered to dealerships, incl. the introduction of the new Cayman (not S).
    Regarding markets: Porsche's most important market is indeed the USA but looking at sales figures, I suppose Germany is second regarding sales. So even if the USA is the most important market, Porsche can't forget about the second important market, including the fact that the Euro/USD exchange rate is pretty bad right now for them, even if it may not have an immediate impact.

Maybe I should turn back the clock a little bit and remember you guys of the Porsche 924, 944 and 968. Huge success in the US, pretty bad in Germany. Result: Porsche stopped producing them.

It is always dangerous to put your cards on one single market only, even if sales figures are good. However: I still doubt that the Cayman is a huge success in the US and if, maybe it is one because a lot of buyers don't know what they bought or don't understand what lies behind the Cayman marketing strategy.

Is the Cayman a fine sportscar? You bet it is. Would I buy one? Never. The reason is simple: it is too expensive, you can get a slightly used 911 for the same money, a car which is a 911...even if some of you may not realize what this means. Second, the Cayman isn't that fantastic as many people may think. It is at par with the Boxster and before I spend more money for a Coupe, I prefer spending less money for the same car and get a free retractable top. Especially now with the Boxster S having the same power, there is no reason to buy a Cayman. Unless somebody really believes the Porsche marketing hype or that gossip spreaded by Cayman owners and lovers. Hate to hear the truth? Same story always.

FYI about the 944. PCNA ended up with so many unsold 944's at the end of the final 944 model run that they literally had to auction them off in batches from PCNA HQ for 30% or less of MSRP.

The 968 and 964's were simulutaneous sales and warranty nightmares. Both launched during a real estate recession and both had major engineering flaws - the 964's lack of head gaskets(!)and distributer venting - and for the 968 many had defective transaxles and also water pump failures.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    FYI about the 944. PCNA ended up with so many unsold 944's at the end of the final 944 model run that they literally had to auction them off in batches from PCNA HQ for 30% or less of MSRP.

Might yet get a Cayman coupe for the same price (or less) than the Cayman roadster. Which is where it should have been priced all along. Or at the price it is now with 320bhp.

Dreamcar - A Cayman roadster is a good idea! Price it above the Cayman coupe so buyers will feel they are getting more.

Add different springs, the Cayman side intake grills and a special Cayman Roadster trunk badge. Voila! another $10,000 additional factory profit justified.

Hell, give all Cayman S Roadsters GREEEN brake calipers to really show the money!

Of course the Cayman roadster will handle better than the Boxster roadster, no doubt about it!

Porsche should at least make a limited run of Cayman S roadsters and make the first batch only available to Cayman coupe owners who desire a more exclusive Porsche.

The people demand Cayman Roadsters

Great! I'd order one tomorrow were it available. Just think how much of an improvement it would be over my mere Boxster S 3.4

Quote:
    RC said:

Regarding markets: Porsche's most important market is indeed the USA but looking at sales figures, I suppose Germany is second regarding sales.

Is the Cayman a fine sportscar? You bet it is. Would I buy one? Never. The reason is simple: it is too expensive, you can get a slightly used 911 for the same money, a car which is a 911...even if some of you may not realize what this means. Second, the Cayman isn't that fantastic as many people may think.

Of course its not wise to put all your eggs in one basket. I only pointed that out that maybe in Germany they dont sell, but they do in the US ... for whatever reason. The fact that dealers have them as inventory means little. US dealer of all cars have hundreds of cars in inventory. Many Americans have little patience for waiting 6 months to special order a car. They want the car ... NOW ... and hence dealers MUST have inventory to stay in business. Otherwise the sale is lost to the dealer down the street who does have inventory.

As to buying a 997, Yes I do know what it mean. Years ago we used to have a 911 Carrera (long gone). This time around we "were" going to buy a 997S. That was the plan. There was no point in buying a 997 since it appears that the CS was 4 secs off the 997 at the ring. Close enuff. After looking at both cars ... the CS "felt" like a real sports car.

Quick and easy mods ... catback, CAI are yielding 20 hp at the wheels. I'd bet there are a whole bunch of CS out there right now with just as much bhp as the 997. The car is so new, aftermarket companies are just starting to come out with parts.

Why not buy the 997S? Yes, its quicker, but the fact is, too many ... its antiquated rear-end that keeps trying to use technology to keep that mass from coming around.

Our 911 had lots of understeer ... thing was dangerous in the wrong hand. Times change ... technology changes ... yet Porsche keeps insisting to keep the 911 rear-engined. The CS "feels" like a real sports car. With its rear-engine and those silly back seats, the 997 keeps looking bloated and it turns off many people. To some, its more of a GT than a traditional sports car. Yeah, its an Icon but icons get old.

As to "Cayman isn't that fantastic as many people may think", its apparant to many that Porsche crippled the power output so as to now embarras the base 997. There are lots of dyno sheets showing large HP gains from simple Catbacks never mind anything more. Some ppl are dropping the X51 engine into it. Lots of aftermarket places offering to do that.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I'm not trying to change yours.

If the german 911 owners dont think of it as a real porsche ... I really dont need validation from anyone. I know I can easily get just as much HP as a 997 and have a mid-engined car that the 997 should have been

And BTW, as a former 911 owners, I would never look back knowing I consciously chose NOT to buy a 997.

That all said ... I think the REAL marketing problem is simple this constant "protecting" of the 911 icon from the cheaper siblings. IMHO, dump the 997 and 997S ... increase the HP in the CS to the 997S level, and start calling the GT3 and its variations as the 911. Porsche has way too many varations of the 911 out there right now ... IMO, the 911 starts at the GT3.

Then, someday ... I would hope to own one

If the 998 or 999 turns out to be mid-engined, then Porsche will be admitting the CS was the best platform (well the Carrera GT was mid-engined so they already know).

Since all of this is just opinions ... there is no right or wrong answer ... but many of us don't need validation from 911 owners, in fact, I kind of feel sorry they threw away $20K and got very little extra for it

Please dont take this as 911 bashing because its not. We're talking money and marketing and what you get for the money. $20K more for a few tenths of a second faster isn't worth $20K.

And one day ... I can think about that GT3

Quote:
    chows4us said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Regarding markets: Porsche's most important market is indeed the USA but looking at sales figures, I suppose Germany is second regarding sales.

Is the Cayman a fine sportscar? You bet it is. Would I buy one? Never. The reason is simple: it is too expensive, you can get a slightly used 911 for the same money, a car which is a 911...even if some of you may not realize what this means. Second, the Cayman isn't that fantastic as many people may think.

Of course its not wise to put all your eggs in one basket. I only pointed that out that maybe in Germany they dont sell, but they do in the US ... for whatever reason. The fact that dealers have them as inventory means little. US dealer of all cars have hundreds of cars in inventory. Many Americans have little patience for waiting 6 months to special order a car. They want the car ... NOW ... and hence dealers MUST have inventory to stay in business. Otherwise the sale is lost to the dealer down the street who does have inventory.

As to buying a 997, Yes I do know what it mean. Years ago we used to have a 911 Carrera (long gone). This time around we "were" going to buy a 997S. That was the plan. There was no point in buying a 997 since it appears that the CS was 4 secs off the 997 at the ring. Close enuff. After looking at both cars ... the CS "felt" like a real sports car.

Quick and easy mods ... catback, CAI are yielding 20 hp at the wheels. I'd bet there are a whole bunch of CS out there right now with just as much bhp as the 997. The car is so new, aftermarket companies are just starting to come out with parts.

Why not buy the 997S? Yes, its quicker, but the fact is, too many ... its antiquated rear-end that keeps trying to use technology to keep that mass from coming around.

Our 911 had lots of understeer ... thing was dangerous in the wrong hand. Times change ... technology changes ... yet Porsche keeps insisting to keep the 911 rear-engined. The CS "feels" like a real sports car. With its rear-engine and those silly back seats, the 997 keeps looking bloated and it turns off many people. To some, its more of a GT than a traditional sports car. Yeah, its an Icon but icons get old.

As to "Cayman isn't that fantastic as many people may think", its apparant to many that Porsche crippled the power output so as to now embarras the base 997. There are lots of dyno sheets showing large HP gains from simple Catbacks never mind anything more. Some ppl are dropping the X51 engine into it. Lots of aftermarket places offering to do that.

If the german 911 owners dont think of it as a real porsche ... I really dont need validation from anyone. I know I can easily get just as much HP as a 997 and have a mid-engined car that the 997 should have been

And BTW, as a former 911 owners, I would never look back knowing I consciously chose NOT to buy a 997.

That all said ... I think the REAL marketing problem is simple this constant "protecting" of the 911 icon from the cheaper siblings. IMHO, dump the 997 and 997S ... increase the HP in the CS to the 997S level, and start calling the GT3 and its variations as the 911. Porsche has way too many varations of the 911 out there right now ... IMO, the 911 starts at the GT3.

If the 998 or 999 turns out to be mid-engined, then Porsche will be admitting the CS was the best platform (well the Carrera GT was mid-engined so they already know).

Since all of this is just opinions ... there is no right or wrong answer ... but many of us don't need validation from 911 owners, in fact, I kind of feel sorry they threw away $20K and got very little extra for it

Please dont take this as 911 bashing because its not. We're talking money and marketing and what you get for the money. $20K more for a few tenths of a second faster isn't worth $20K.

Your money must a different value than mine.

The 997S is a far superior car, you've admitted that by wanting a GT3.

However, if you chose not to spend the extra, the Cayman is a great choice, but it doesn't make it better than the 997 platform.

Quote:
    cnc said:
    Quote:
    chows4us said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

Your money must a different value than mine.

The 997S is a far superior car, you've admitted that by wanting a GT3.

However, if you chose not to spend the extra, the Cayman is a great choice, but it doesn't make it better than the 997 platform.

LOL.....if you put the 997S engine in the Cayman along with the limited slip.....it would kill the 997S in every catagory. As far as platforms are concerned....mid-engined is far better. The 911 is simply a protected species....due to its image, rather than its layout.

When's the last time you saw a Ferrari, Lambo, etc., with the engine hanging out the back?? Hell, even Porsche got it correct with the CGT.

The GT3 could be considered a better car simply because it is more focused on raw performance with even more HP to justify its layout shortcoming. I concur....it would at least take GT3 like performance out of a 911 to get me out of my CS.....and I could have easily purchased a 997S

Quote:
    MikeN said:LOL.....if you put the 997S engine in the Cayman along with the limited slip.....it would kill the 997S in every catagory. As far as platforms are concerned....mid-engined is far better. The 911 is simply a protected species....due to its image, rather than its layout.

When's the last time you saw a Ferrari, Lambo, etc., with the engine hanging out the back??

Good point, but then why does the GT3 (with its misplaced motor) beat all those cars around a racetrack, despite its power deficit?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:LOL.....if you put the 997S engine in the Cayman along with the limited slip.....it would kill the 997S in every catagory. As far as platforms are concerned....mid-engined is far better. The 911 is simply a protected species....due to its image, rather than its layout.

When's the last time you saw a Ferrari, Lambo, etc., with the engine hanging out the back??

Good point, but then why does the GT3 (with its misplaced motor) beat all those cars around a racetrack, despite its power deficit?

True, but a Cayman with a GT3 motor would be even better......that is if it was "allowed" by Porsche....too bad it isn't.

Quote:
    MikeN said:

True, but a Cayman with a GT3 motor would be even better......that is if it was "allowed" by Porsche....too bad it isn't.

Actually there are at least two private race teams in Germany trying to transform the Cayman S into a proper racecar, because they prefer the Cayman's handling over that of the Carrera. They have to fight one big issue due to the midengined layout: thermal problems (especially true for endurance racing like 24h NBR etc.). One solution is a wider body allowing for bigger air intakes, but of course the wider body is a disadvantage in terms of aerodynamic efficiency. As these private teams (with limited financial and R&D resources) do not receive any support from Porsche it will take some time to solve the problems.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site...amp;newsLang=en

Porsche Reports November Results

November Sales

Boxster (combined) 234
    Cayman (combined) 552
    911 non-4wd/turbo 576

Yeah, Cayman sales are pretty bad

Quote:
    RC said:
    Second, the Cayman isn't that fantastic as many people may think. It is at par with the Boxster and before I spend more money for a Coupe, I prefer spending less money for the same car and get a free retractable top. Especially now with the Boxster S having the same power, there is no reason to buy a Cayman. Unless somebody really believes the Porsche marketing hype or that gossip spreaded by Cayman owners and lovers. Hate to hear the truth? Same story always.

I quote http://www.automobilemag.com/features/awards/2007_all_stars/0612_2007_porsche_cayman/

"Of course, the Cayman isn't perfect. A base Cayman costs almost four grand more than a base Boxster, yet it feels little different in day-to-day driving. Which leads us to one inevitable conclusion: where the Cayman is concerned, thousands of people will never, ever see the point. Poor them."

I think that somes it up ... If you can't see the difference, ..... , with all due respect ... Poor you.

Then again, its just another magazine article with all the other awards the Cayman has won so what do all the auto journalists know? They are just doing their jobs.

Quote:
    chows4us said:
    If you can't see the difference, ..... , with all due respect ... Poor you.

So what is the difference - same basic car, same drivetrain, one is a coupe one a roadster. Some people just don't get it, you are right, the Cayman is a Boxster Coupe, nothing more, nothing less. Nothing to be ashamed of, surely? Unless, as RC has said, you swallow the marketing or caymanclub BS hook, line and sinker.

Read the article.

I dont see any 911 selected

Thanks for the article Chows4us. Sums it up pretty well I agree.
    Don't worry about dweebcar, he'd never disagree with anything RC said.

Quote:
    mlin said:
    Thanks for the article Chows4us. Sums it up pretty well I agree.

dweebcar.....

As more and more time goes by, and the Cayman continues to rack up awards....more than any recent 911 or Boxster....it only confirms my thoughts and decision to buy one,....and man am I glad I did.

Quote:
    mlin said:

au contraire I've had several disagreements with RC. As per the usual Cayman discussions here, childish name calling persists. I feel sure that caymanclub kindergarten is where you would feel much happier, because no one disputes the Cayman hype there. Face facts guys, whether you like it or not the Cayman IS a Boxster Coupe, in the same way that the 911 cabrio is still a 911, and none the worse for it.
    I can hardly be insulting the Cayman surely as I spent a lot of my hard earned cash on the Boxster, or should I say Cayman roadster now that it is identical apart from the fixed roof (and the price tag, of course).

Quote:
    chows4us said:
    Read the article.

I repeat my question, in your own words please, what is the difference in the real world between a Boxster S 3.4 and a Cayman S 3.4(apart from the roof)?

Sigh

Read the article

If I have to explain it to you ... then you don't get it.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    chows4us said:
    Read the article.

I repeat my question, in your own words please, what is the difference in the real world between a Boxster S 3.4 and a Cayman S 3.4(apart from the roof)?

The foglights and the net to hold luggage in the trunk

Porsche reduced Boxster production and compelled dealers in the US to buy lots of non S Caymans. Those non S Caymans have spiked the sales figures - wich do not reflect cars sold to consumers, but cars sold to dealers to floor on their lots.

The increase of Cayman "sales" is not the result of vox populi - its the intended action of Porsche HQ to make more money from their dealers!

When it comes to the 987 series, Porsche would rather sell Caymans than Boxsters. So now they force the issue on the dealers wich has really pi$$ed them off, because its easier for dealers to sell a Porsche convertible for 5K less than a Cayman when it comes to a 987.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    chows4us said:
    Read the article.

Of course I forgot those - now I can understand why some Cayman owners apparently consider the car to be as different from the Boxster as the Carrera GT is to a 911. Especially when you add the bespoke cowl above the instrument cluster. Many thanks for explaining.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Porsche reduced Boxster production and compelled dealers in the US to buy lots of non S Caymans. Those non S Caymans have spiked the sales figures - wich do not reflect cars sold to consumers, but cars sold to dealers to floor on their lots.

The increase of Cayman "sales" is not the result of vox populi - its the intended action of Porsche HQ to make more money from their dealers!

When it comes to the 987 series, Porsche would rather sell Caymans than Boxsters. So now they force the issue on the dealers wich has really pi$$ed them off, because its easier for dealers to sell a Porsche convertible for 5K less than a Cayman when it comes to a 987.

You are probably right on some points......however myself and MANY others included would not buy a Boxster at any price. I waited years for the Cayman when I could of had a loaded to the max Boxster.....nope, not in my lifetime...don't like the looks or the body stucture. It may be easier to sell, but that's because many people just want the cheapest Porsche available, not necessarily the best one....

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    chows4us said:
    Read the article.

Of course I forgot those - now I can understand why some Cayman owners apparently consider the car to be as different from the Boxster as the Carrera GT is to a 911. Especially when you add the bespoke cowl above the instrument cluster. Many thanks for explaining.

I'd also like to know what's so bloody different in the Cayman as compared to the Boxster, besides the Cayman being heavier than the Boxster.

Quote:
    MikeN said:......however myself and MANY others included would not buy a Boxster at any price. I waited years for the Cayman when I could of had a loaded to the max Boxster.....nope, not in my lifetime...don't like the looks or the body stucture. It may be easier to sell, but that's because many people just want the cheapest Porsche available, not necessarily the best one....

So, you chose a Cayman beacuse you don't like the look of the Boxster. A preference based largely on visual aspects... I guess you don't like the look of a 997, seeing as money is no object.

Interestingly, AutoCar magazine in the UK (6 Dec issue) has just re-tested the 3.4 Boxster, and felt that Porsche have tweaked the suspension as well as the engine for the new model. This implies (if correct) that the two cars have been rationalised further now, meaning there is even less to differentiate. The test car did have PCCB though.

As a side comment, a dealer once metionned to me that the S-bend in the body over the rear arches of the Cayman was difficult to do, requiring specialised manufacturing technique. I'm open to debate, but is it possible that this is a factor in the higher cost? (Probably not, but interesting?)

Both cars are good. Lets not argue.

Mike theres nothing "wrong" with offering a hardtop or convertible models of the same car car. Its a good idea to give buyers choices. But Porsche augered in and took a big dirtnap to some people about the Cayman.

Porsche tried to present it as a entirely new model when it is just a variant of the 987.

Porsche demands more retail money for it when it costs less to produce. They cleverly contravened buyers acceptance of paying more for a cab and less for a hardtop.

They gave it a "special" motor - then put the same motor into the Boxster.

They gave the Cayman wierd gearing to slow it down.

They put a ridiculous name on it that is a linquistic double entendre name in some cultures.

Tried to tell everyone it handles better than the cab version when the numbers proved otherwise at the Ring.

I think it looks better from the back 3/4 than a Boxster and looks tons better than a Audi TT or R8. But it also appears to be a cynical marketing ploy to extend the life and optimize the profit of the Boxster at their dealers expense.

Porsche could have reached higher and given customers more for the same costs. They chose not to. Joy!

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Interestingly, AutoCar magazine in the UK (6 Dec issue) has just re-tested the 3.4 Boxster, and felt that Porsche have tweaked the suspension as well as the engine for the new model.

I missed that - any chance of a scan, please?

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:......however myself and MANY others included would not buy a Boxster at any price. I waited years for the Cayman when I could of had a loaded to the max Boxster.....nope, not in my lifetime...don't like the looks or the body stucture. It may be easier to sell, but that's because many people just want the cheapest Porsche available, not necessarily the best one....

So, you chose a Cayman beacuse you don't like the look of the Boxster. A preference based largely on visual aspects... I guess you don't like the look of a 997, seeing as money is no object.

Yes, I chose the Cayman over both the Boxster (looks and stiffness) and 911 (love the looks, don't like the drive). I had no problem with paying a premium for the Cayman....nada, not one bit.

The problem here is that some people refuse to accept the fact that many potential Porsche owners don't want a Boxster....at any price advantage. Judging by Cayman sales numbers there are many of us.....even more so than potential would be Boxster owners.

I agree....both cars are great, but the Boxster being cheaper does not make it a better buy if you can't stand looking at it or want to drive it. That would be just plain stupid.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776814 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441560 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262698 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260842 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85113 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5519 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815709 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM