Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

How does the 360 compare to the Gallardo?

the prices seem similar, do they "sound" similar and drive similar or what?

Re: How does the 360 compare to the Gallardo?

imo, the 360 motor is higher in pitch than the lambo's

Quote:
    Rabeeh said:
    the prices seem similar, do they "sound" similar and drive similar or what?

Two different manufacturers (Ferrari is owned by Fiat, Lamborghini is owned by Audi), two different beasts.
    The Gallardo has 4WD.

Let the numbers speak (Nuerburgring Nordschleife):
    1. Ferrari 360 Modena: 8 min. 09 sec. (street tires)
    2. Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale: 7 min. 56 sec. (semi slicks)
    3. Lamborghini Gallardo: 7 min. 52 sec. (street tires)
    4. Porsche 996 Turbo: 7 min. 56 sec. (street tires)

Impressive Gallardo performance.

how do they "spund" in person via engine noise and exhaust?

It all depends on what you like. At this price range, so much is about how big your smile is when you drive it. I was in the market a few months ago, had been on the 360 list for a while, and drove a Gallardo for an hour or so. Prices are similar enough to be called equal. When the call came from Ferrari that my 360 was ready I took it instead of the Gallardo. Why? Bigger smile with the 360, just a more visceral car, even if it is slower around the Ring. It felt a lot smaller and lighter. I have a hunch, just a guess, that resale will be stronger with the 360, since there is still a waiting list, while the Gallardo is immediately available, perhaps even below MSRP. I also prefer the looks of the 360, which is entirely personal.

Gary

Quote:
    RC said:Let the numbers speak (Nuerburgring Nordschleife):
    1. Ferrari 360 Modena: 8 min. 09 sec. (street tires)
    2. Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale: 7 min. 56 sec. (semi slicks)
    3. Lamborghini Gallardo: 7 min. 52 sec. (street tires)
    4. Porsche 996 Turbo: 7 min. 56 sec. (street tires)

Off topic, but these numbers again put the claimed 997S into perspective (7:56 on street tires) - that's the same as the 996TT - they must've really made some big improvements somewhere (in the chassis or...)

Indeed they have.
    Now imagine a 997 Turbo.

You forgot to add that the 360 cs was driven on a freezing wet track.

Quote:
    CF said:
    Now imagine a 997 Turbo.

Or a lightweight 997 Turbo... (no sunroof, no backseats, no/less sound insulation, etc...) Wouldn't that be cool?

Greetings,
    --Pierre

Quote:
    arakis said:
    You forgot to add that the 360 cs was driven on a freezing wet track.

Track was dry, asphalt temperature 17*C and air temperature 19*C. Where did you hear that "freezing wet" story from?
    Porsche GT3 MKII Test: asphalt temperature 16*C and air temperature 14*C.

RC RC thats the Hokenhaim temp, not nirburgring, About the wetnes I am not sure, but the temp in the mag was from hokenhaim

I dont know the distance between the 2 tracks but it doesent mater since Nirburgring is so big it probably has 5 diferent temprature zones around the track here is the info from the sport auto

The 360 from what I've heard and seen (i know, just hear a kid out)is a very lightweight and well balanced car. It will grip around some corners, and can be EASILY powerslided, and all the while the controls are easily putting the car where you want it to. Around some sharp corners it will grip, but the slightest steering turn or throttle can turn it into a GT3/M3 powerslide, its very well balanced, because it never seems oversteery? or slight understeer like turbo. Its straight line speed is quite good to say the least. The 3.6 V8 is a great sounding engine, but very loud (good) and very untorquey, it really needs to be revved hard to get the performance out of it. The controls are all light, steering especially so, lighter than the 996 turbo, but has great feedback and makes the car have pinpoint accuracy while turning. The car overall is built questionably though, and some examples with high mileages seem to rattle and squeak. For me this is a big no no in a car. SO you really have to love the 360 to put these quirks out of your head. Overall, a fast car, a fun car, an involving car, and most important, its a Ferrari, babes are guranteed.

Gallardo, well this car simply put is the bridging of the 911T and the 360. Whereas the turbo is a well built solid 4wd grippy car, and the 360 is a oversteering light and fun car, the Gallardo is the gap between. Its very well built, German quality obviously, and its a much more tighter car than the 360M. The 911T with its shorter gearing and huge mid range pull seems very quick and its engine is never stressed to the limit to access its performance, unlike 360M which can feel like a bike engine at times The Gallardo has the best of both, it revs to near 8000rpm to produce its 500hp, and has a decent 510Nm in the midranges. While the 911 will feel quick or very quick in the mid ranges, the Gallardo with its questionable gearing feels as quick but slightly lacking in some gears/revs. For example 62 is achieved in 1st gear, while 90 in second, and the rest of the 4 gears are divided over a speed of 100mph. Goodness knows the performance this car could have achieved with 911T gearing (as in very short 1st gear and equally spaced ratios ro provide ample pull throughout all speed ranges). Throttle response is instantaneous as it is with the other cars but the handling is the best part. I don't need to stress the importance of 7.52 on the Nordschliefe. The thing is, with ESP off, the Gallardo and like all 4wd lambos can be tempted to oversteer. And this is great sometimes, but slightly disconcerting at others. You see with the Turbo and its 4wd and wider tyres, its just grips and goes, no fuss, no mess. With the 360 you get a very manageable and oversteering car which is fun to say the least but just has that grip at times that you need to get you on track. The Gallardo on the otherhand, does and at times, does not have the same grip and poise of the turbo through corners, and when you get oversteer on a 4wd car, its slightly worrying, just a small quirk that will probably be never encountered on normal roads. Th steering of the Gallardo is accurate but lacks feedback like the turbo and the 360, blame the Audi development here, for me feedback steering is most important in a supercar.

As a summary, The Gallardo gies you the best choice and the best specs. You have hugely torquey engine with a refined but at times "playful" noise, with good handling and soild build quality. A perfect car BUT you will miss the direct and light responses of the 360 which needs to be revved and revved hard to get 400bhp, but which I think is still slightly better than the Turbo which is very quiet but well built, its just grips and goes, sometimes this is VERY effective but slightly boring? I dare say..

Ride wise, adn practicality, they're all the same, 996 has slightly smoother ride than the others, but they're all firm and rewarding. The 360M is least practical because of NVH. The turbo is too sedate, while the Lambo is the best of both worlds, quiet and torquey when you just want to cruise, and savage in an Audi way when you want it to. The thing is, when you buy any of the three here, what are you going to worry about,insurance, fuel consumption or practicality? NO. The most important aspect is feel and the feeling you just want to drive all day one Sunday morning. And personally, it has to look the part, IMO, one word... Ferrari

For me personally, the Gallardo is not hugely faster than the 996 with 450hp powerkit. Its is however miles faster and better built than the Modena. I find the 911 too sedate and too sophisticated? Its very effective and a good chocie but with the 997 coming lets reserve final judgement until then.. The 360 is left behind largely due to the engine and build quality for me otherwise its just perfect. It has the handling, the noise, the badge, the looks. This is why I love the Monza, it should address all the problems with a bigger V8 and better handling and quality. A Ferrari will always be a Ferrari, and for some it stirs emotions more than the "German built" Lambo and the all too familiar 911.

My choice couldn't be more naive:

420 Monza.

Feel free to comment, and don't forget thats my fun car choice, I have no problems with an AMG as my daily driver.

What do you guys think?

I forgot to add, the PERFECT combo if I could take the best of the best from each of these cars would be the build quality of the Gallardo, the 5.0 V10 from it, but with the sound of the Ferrari, the look and feel of the Ferrari, with the gearing of the 911. I still prefer the controllable oversteer chracteristics of RWD and 500+bhp

Of course let me revise what I said about one choice. I could not choose between any car when its comes to sportscars, simply because you have so much choice, Each car has a certain discernible quality that makes it greater than the others, but you could not choose one car and say its the best, I think thats being not only unfair but also naive. We must thank Lamborghini, ferrari and Porsche for giving us the finest sportscars in the world, they each are special in their own way and I'm glad we have some choice. True, I would like to mix and match to make my perfect car, but in life, you can't always have your cake and eat it, no matter what anyone says..

One final thing and no-one please get offended because its Mr. Clarkson's views here... he said the Murcie was the best Lambo ever, the problem with the Gallardo is, (it goes something like this):

"When you go on a picnic, you want the Germans to make the picnic basket so the handle doesn't break, but you want the Italians to make the food. With the Gallardo, the Germans have made zee food"

I'll let you all ponder that one

All in all I'd choose the Monza with a bigger engine, but I'll always respect the runners up, because they truly are "Supercars".

If you had not indicated otherwise I would have assumed that you have driven the 360:-)

Only two complementary comments on your statements regarding the 360. Compared to the 996tt the modena is much more inclined to understeer under certain conditions. This, unfortunately, makes it less efficient to drive.

Regarding build quality I would say that the visible build quality (interior) is not inferior to a 996tt. Rattle and squeak noises are not more frequent, based on my personal experience.

Also I would say that the 996tt with powerkit should offer at least the same performance as a gallardo.

For me the perfect combo is 996tt and modena. The Gallardo, I think, is too much of a compromise. If possible, however, a murcielago would be nice... But only if one can live with the extreme looks

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Compared to the 996tt the modena is much more inclined to understeer under certain conditions. This, unfortunately, makes it less efficient to drive.

Interesting. I've driven both on track days and think the opposite is true.

Gary

Agree - I think - with TDF. My 360 Challenge car, at least as set up when I had it, tended to a high speed oversteer.

Unfortunately. I have never driver the challenge version. However, the standard setup produces a somehow tricky lightness at the front axle, particularly in high-speed bends. That is why I would say that the 996tt is much easier to drive fast

I have a 996TTX50. I was all set to get the Gallardo also, but after my test drive for 80 mile I got out and felt is was just like my turbo. Sllightly different in the power delivery of course, but an amasingly similar experience. I then test drove the 360M. It certainly is not as fast as my turbo or the Gallardo, but boy was it fun to drive. After all that is what is all about for us isn't it? Lap times mean nothing. Show me anywhere in the U.S that you can extract over 85% of the potential of any of these cars. In the end I decided to keep my turbo and get the 360 Challenge stradale. The perfect compliment to the turbo. Order placed and the next 3 mos. will be a tough wait. Happy driving.

Quote:
    jdcohenmd said:
    I then test drove the 360M. It certainly is not as fast as my turbo or the Gallardo, but boy was it fun to drive. After all that is what is all about for us isn't it?

Yes, my point exactly! The 360 is the most engaging and rewarding car to drive I've encountered, and the CS is even better. Enjoy your new ride.

Gary

I hate to just bring up this point, but my account of how the cars drive was suffice to say pretty accurate since you people who have driven all these cars have indicated also their characteristics. No?

Quote:
    ///AMG Mercedes said:
    I hate to just bring up this point, but my account of how the cars drive was suffice to say pretty accurate since you people who have driven all these cars have indicated also their characteristics. No?

I'm not positive what you're asking, but I own a 360 and have driven the Gallardo and CS, not extensively, but enough to get a good feel.

Gary

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762210 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435224 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260451 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257510 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80925 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872109 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807495 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM