Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Driving Targa 4S-Sportscar or "911SL"?

Hello rennteamers,

First of all, I would like to say that a car is not a sportscar because it looks like one, but because you can have fun on the track. You need to feel your car with the ass and the hands to have fun. This feeling is only possible with track compatible cars. With a SL, you may feel comfortable on a highway (I had a CL 55), but it is impossible to drive it on the track and you will not have fun to drive it on curvy roads.
    So, is the Targa a sportscar?

I think everybody on this forum will agree with me that C2's and C4's are real sportscars. So what are the differences with them and the consequences on the driving fun:

On public roads, I repeat on public roads:
    1) The very large panorama roof gives an amazing feeling of freedom. Everybody who likes large windows at home will like it.
    2) The AWD changes the targa from a summer compromise between coupe and cab to a new concept of whole year daily all weather sportscar. On curvy public roads, I repeat on public roads, you can drive this car much faster and safer than a C2.
    3) I did not notice any rattle, but I heard a rumor before ordering that some 996 targas had to be modified. Two reliable sources told me that there is no risk of rattle with the 997 targa, so I ordered. You will find some threads about this issue on this forum.
    4) The car is very stiff, light-years stiffer than a F360 berlinetta for example (I called mine ). But the reinforcements of the chassis and the roof have a cost: some more weight (60 kg). Compared to a C4, I could not feel any difference in the handling on public roads.
    5) I tried some emergency stops. The improved brake system of the C4S and T4S is fantastic. The readying of the brakes when the system detects the probability of an emergency stop and the break assist function are not only life saving, but probably time saving on the track (braking later).

On the track:
    We see here the fundamental problem of all sportcars: How much grip are you willing to loose, especially on the track, because of the weight you create by improving the fun you want to have on the road. In case of the targa, we are speaking here of the weight of the retractable roof and the AWD, which add a tremendous comfort to the car on the road.

First of all, I could not drive on a track because the car is not totally broken in (2200 km), but tested it quite hard on public roads with good visibility. So all what you read here is "feeling" that will have to be proven once on the track:
    6) The car has a light oversteering tendency that is announced very early. It is easy to (is that the good word?) and you can push very early on the throttle.
    7) In steep turns, you can swing the targa in a light sliding at the beginning of the corner and keep her with the throttle until the exit of the turn.
    8) At the exit of the corners, the traction is so fantastic and the adrenaline shots so intense that only orgasm is better....
    9) Because of the slightly softer coil springs and dampers, you will, compared to a C4S, loose some grip on the track, but the difference in lap times will not be significant (I think less than 1s/km). On the other hand, the car will your ass and hands the proximity of the limit much earlier. So, if you are a beginner or you go on the track only once or twice a year, you will have more fun with an easy to drive targa than with a hardcore GT3.
    10)The targa is not a race car, because you cannot add a cage without loosing the benefit of the panorama roof. Never race without a cage!!!

11) And, if you are a very very lucky hardcore track oriented driver, buy a targa for the road, a cup for the track and a cayenne to tow the trailer of the cup. Please no
    Now lets talk about elegance, what is a matter of taste.
    12) The stripe is polarizing, but IMO it gives an amazing upper line to the car.
    13) IMO, because of the quite dark roof, light body colors are less elegant than dark ones. This is especially noticeable from a front view of the car (look at the front window).
    14) IMO, in the interior of the car, the feeling of freedom is more intense with light leather colors.
    15) I cannot tell about the opening rear window, because I do not play golf.
    16) I hate that bloody key...In my house, each time something pushes against the key in my pocket, it opens the front panel or the rear window of my parked car. At each following push, the car is beeping...and each time my wife says ..."Your toy is crying" !!!
    Summary:
    17) The targa 4s is the best and most elegant daily driver I ever had.

And at the end of my speeches, I like to add a provocative statement: "Chicks like targas more than all other cars...."
    I like you rennteamers...hope you understood my "frenglish"

Carlos

Re: Driving Targa 4S-Sportscar or "911SL"?

Very amusing and informative. Thanks CarlosF!

Thanks for the write up! Any comments about the added weight compromising performance? Porsche lists the Targa 4s as a tick slower than the 4s...

Quote:
    vantage78 said:
    Thanks for the write up! Any comments about the added weight compromising performance? Porsche lists the Targa 4s as a tick slower than the 4s...

Sorry but I was not clear enough in my comment : Because of the added weight and the softer suspension, I think that the targa 4S will be slower than a C4S less than 1 second per kilometer on the track. Only the track will give a real answer.

Carlos

I think the 911SL is any equipped with Tiptro

Quote:
    Jeannot said:

I hear you but what a politically incorrect statement!

Carlos

Quote:
    CarlosF said:
    Quote:
    Jeannot said:

I hear you but what a politically incorrect statement!

Carlos

It is not my fault if Porsche cannot get its act together to release the PDK

Carlos - I agree wih (13), was amazed that Porsche chose red and silver for the majority of the promo photos.

Have you used the PASM Sport setting much yet? I'm curious to hear if the softening of the suspension settings compared to the coupe has made the stiffer PASM setting more usable on normal roads.

Quote:
    hellgelb said:
    Carlos - I agree wih (13), was amazed that Porsche chose red and silver for the majority of the promo photos.

Have you used the PASM Sport setting much yet? I'm curious to hear if the softening of the suspension settings compared to the coupe has made the stiffer PASM setting more usable on normal roads.

Good morning Hellgelb,
    If I am alone and not in a stop and go situation, I always drive with sport button (because of the throttle mapping), but I push always on the PASM button to avoid the stiffer suspension. I have not tested it on the track.

Carlos

Thank you Carlos, very informative

Quote:
    Jeannot said:

Me too, I guess that makes the 997 Turbo Tip the 911SL55

Carlos said : ...13) IMO, because of the quite dark roof, light body colors are less elegant than dark ones. This is especially noticeable from a front view of the car (look at the front window)....

Quote:
    hellgelb said:

Carlos - I agree wih (13), was amazed that Porsche chose red and silver for the majority of the promo photos...

Of course, it is a matter of taste, but both types of Targas have such a different look that potential customers should be aware of it...

Carlos

I drove a targa 4 for a short stint on my PDE day yesterday and was very impressed. I wanted more time to evaluate it better. I was also impressed with the basic set up 3.6 engine with tiptronic, no PASM and 4wd all seemed to work together beautifully. In the short time I had I was unable to put my finger on what I liked as there were so many differences to my C4S manual cab. I liked the way the tip used the full rev range to exploit the 3.6 engine. The 3.6 sounded very sweet indeed. Sweeter than the 3.8.

The roof was a revelation. Even when closed it felt so airy.

I did not expect to be so impressed. Mmmmm, thinks....

@CarlosF,

thanks - nice write up

@Pink Panther,

wow - your comments are making me think. I'm a beloved Convertible driver. But reading this and seeing the fact that the Targa has this huge trunk door in the back I'm starting thinking if I should test drive a Targa, too.

For me the Targa was always a shadow exist. It was no bread nor butter. Means - was for me I didnt accept it the full way as it was not light as an Coupe and not wide open like a Convertible. Also in sell and resell they are not doing that good.

I think I have to testdrive it! Thanks again for your impressions!

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    wow - your comments are making me think. I'm a beloved Convertible driver. But reading this and seeing the fact that the Targa has this huge trunk door in the back I'm starting thinking if I should test drive a Targa, too.

For me the Targa was always a shadow exist. It was no bread nor butter. Means - was for me I didnt accept it the full way as it was not light as an Coupe and not wide open like a Convertible. Also in sell and resell they are not doing that good.

For the Targe there exist exactly two ways to look at this model:

1) Neither fish nor flesh, as it is no cab and no coupé
    2) Best of both worlds, since it combines the advantages of cab and coupé

I tend towards perception No. 2.

Carlos - how do you like the black-beige two tone interior in your Targa? do you wish you had gone with all beige or some other color?

Golfers - curious if putting a stand bag in and out of the hatchback is doable...i'd be afraid to scratch the paint with my golf bag..but i'd do it anyway.

Quote:
    jjl said:
    Carlos - how do you like the black-beige two tone interior in your Targa? do you wish you had gone with all beige or some other color?

Golfers - curious if putting a stand bag in and out of the hatchback is doable...i'd be afraid to scratch the paint with my golf bag..but i'd do it anyway.

Hi JJL
    I like the bi-color black-tan leather option. You will find on this forum a lot of discussions why dark leather is better near the front window. About opinions of bi-color leather outfit in the targa, have a look at page 9 of this rennteam thread HERE.
    About pics of golfbags in the targa, have a look at this rennteam thread HERE.
    Carlos

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777956 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441983 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262919 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261156 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85405 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5681 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880830 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816374 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM