Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Factory Collection and my first impressions

Quote:
    Gnil said:I do not have to take the tour now, your photos were just so good

Thanks - I love the dry Swiss sense of humour!!

I hope I can take photos even 5% as stunning as all your mountain pics!

Quote:
    John H said:If you ever get fed up with the Law, there's a career waiting for you in journalism! I well remember your final agonising between Arctic and GT Silver (not to mention your brief passion for Slate). I think you changed your order several times. So what's the verdict? Did your wife make the right choice?

Thanks John. I've long wanted to become a writer. I'm just trapped in a lawyer's body!

As for colours, honestly, I settled on the right colour combination for me. I went full circle from GT Silver to Arctic to Slate Grey then back to GT Silver. I think the right colour is the one which first makes you want to get the car. All the rationalising about practicality etc just ties one up in knots. IMO subjective decisions like colour should only be made with the heart and never the head. I learnt that the hard way after a lot of agonising!

My wife chose Cocoa from the start and I knew from then that she was right!

Thanks to you all for your kind wishes. I am going to do a lot of driving this weekend. Back to work on Monday

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:I do not have to take the tour now, your photos were just so good

Thanks - I love the dry Swiss sense of humour!!

I hope I can take photos even 5% as stunning as all your mountain pics!

Easy, seriously, the photos are really good! I thought they were from the official brochure or something.
    That parking space does look quite scary - i don't think you can reverse in that space? The parkassist won't help you with that massive metal thing?

very nice, congrads

What an amazing thread !!!!, thanks for showing us stage by stage the factory delivery !, It has to be the best porsche experience ever, apart from tracking the car

May be one day we decide to do the factory experience !

I love the combination of your Carrera S, pse and manual tranny, and those sport design wheels, they are the best!!!!!....BIG CONGRATS EAASY!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, there was a black and red 997gt3 waiting for delivery right???.

Nice spec. Congrats! I love the color combo and all that cocoa leather.

But that parking spot...I'd bump my head on that lift when I finally squeezed out of the car. Also looks like you're sticking out pretty far for a corner spot. Can you lower the lift then park on it while keeping it on the floor? That may allow you to pull in more.

CONGRATS
    Beautiful car and a great experience

I'm glad to hear that you are happy with the -20mm sport chassie

Great report and also great pictures, thanks a lot for taking your time posting all this.

I must say I'm a little bit disappointed. Why didn't you send me a PM, I could have joined you in Zuffenhausen or at least we could have met for lunch.

RC, we'll have to do that when I come out next year for a visit.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    We'll all have to meet up soon in London and drag that hermit, throt, from his safe house!

I subscribe to that
    Easy, Dreamcar, you and me should form a Porsche S.W.A.T Team to solve this tricky case

Remember ,, your dealing with the ""throtternator""
    /uploads/291515-6847.jpg

Easy ,

Absolutely awesome report , so much so it was like being there with you ...

Congrats and enjoy in great shape....

throt..

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    A new Karcher high pressure washer.

@69bossnine, @stradale: being the 2 rennteam car washing gurus, can you tell me if I am doing something really harmful if I use one of these?

I'm not one of the gurus but i would definitely invest in some good quality products (good shampoo, wash mitts, drying/cleaning towels, and buckets with Grit Guards) as with a pressure washer that small (I have a similar sized unit) you won't be able to literally wash all the dirt off the car.

With the pressure washer itself it's mostly common sense. If it comes with a variable lance use a wider spray and try and keep it at angles to the paintwork, and if it's a variable lance face away from the car before you pull the trigger the first time incase it's been set to the finest needle spray.

What I do is to use the detergent gun that came with the pressure washer to soak the car body/wheels/arches in shampoo mix, then leave it to soak for five or so minutes, then I rinse it off and do a full "two bucket" car wash.

I suppose it depends how much time you have, but personally I enjoy spending an hour or so each week cleaning the car - it gives me a chance to stand and look at it without looking too weird to the neighbours

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    SVNSVN said:
    We'll all have to meet up soon in London and drag that hermit, throt, from his safe house!

I subscribe to that
    Easy, Dreamcar, you and me should form a Porsche S.W.A.T Team to solve this tricky case

Remember ,, your dealing with the ""throtternator""

That may be the case my friend, but you still don't stand a chance(you saw the picture PJ submitted). A fair warning to come out and join us w/o a fight!

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:BTW, there was a black and red 997gt3 waiting for delivery right???.

Yes, that's right. We saw lots of GT3s in production, parked outside, being collected. Some real hardcore customers out there!

Quote:
    GA997S said:But that parking spot...I'd bump my head on that lift when I finally squeezed out of the car. Also looks like you're sticking out pretty far for a corner spot. Can you lower the lift then park on it while keeping it on the floor? That may allow you to pull in more.

Good points. Actually, I have touched my shuoulders on the metal platform twice but I am used to it now so I remember to get out of the car more carefully now!

Yes, the rear right corner does stick out a little but, there is a speed limit of 5mph in our car park (which is adhered to by all) so the risk of someone grazing the rear bumper is minimised.

Lowering that metal platform makes matters worse. It may eliminate the risk of the metal platform doing some mischief from above but it narrows the width of the parking space by about half a foot each side. It's also less nice to drive on to since it has numerous grooves and ruts to keep cars parked on it in a certain position.

Yes - I can't reverse into the space under the metal platform of the stacker.

However, all in all, I am extremely happy with my parking arrangements.

Thanks again for the insightful observations!

Quote:
    RC said:I must say I'm a little bit disappointed. Why didn't you send me a PM, I could have joined you in Zuffenhausen or at least we could have met for lunch.

Thanks RC - so nice of you - but please do understand: the only time I was free was during Thursday afternoon/evening. Honestly, I knew I would have to get up at some uncivilised hour on Thursday (3am) in order to catch my flight at 8am. So when we arrived at our hotel in Stuttgart at around 1pm, the first thing we did was go straight to bed till about 4pm. We needed some rest to make sure we would be fresh and rested for the big day the next day.

But thanks once again...

Thanks so much for sharing so many great pics and that whole experience. Loved going through this thread.

One small point: the factory pics are of the assempbly of the 996, not 997. Too bad they haven't updated those.

Congratulations Easy!
    Finally after all this time, this beautiful car is now yours!
    Enjoy every minute in it!

Thanks Fanch! I owe my peace of mind in choosing -20mm to you for kindly taking me on that drive around Central London. Thanks for that.

Some further reflections...

Now that a few more days have gone by, I thought I would share a few more thoughts on my trip which I didn't mention before.

Driving through Germany and Belgium on the autobahns/motorways, I will never forget the beautiful colour of the autumn leaves on the trees along the side of the motorway. Every colour and shade of gold, orange, russet, green and yellow. Breathtaking...

Arriving in Calais, I will also never forget what I saw on the road approaching the Calais car ferry. It was a two lane road with lorries waiting in stationary traffic on the right hand lane. The left lane was empty so I drove gently past. As I drove on that 2 km stretch of road, all I could see were people who looked desperately poor trying to open the backs of the lorries in order to smuggle themselves onto a ferry to the UK. Some were clinging to the underside of those lorries. Dozens of people who looked like they were from somewhere like Albania, Romania or Bulgaria. I felt mixed emotions as I drove past. Angry that they were illegally trying to enter the UK. Sad at seeing their miserably poor situation. Worried in case they might accidentally fall before me as I was driving along.

Since then I have been driving my car around London doing various errands. It has been so refreshing to experience the completely way in which other drivers and pedestrians have reacted towards me and my new car. The hostility appears to have gone. Instead, there seems (so far) to be more respect and patience. I haven't had any angry drivers behind sounding their horns as I stall at a speed bump or at a traffic light...just patience and understanding (so far!).

Anyway, after I've put some more miles on it, I hope to post some more driving impressions with more detailed photos of the specs etc...

Thanks again guys for all your kind wishes!

Re: Some further reflections...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    It has been so refreshing to experience the completely way in which other drivers and pedestrians have reacted towards me and my new car. The hostility appears to have gone. Instead, there seems (so far) to be more respect and patience. I haven't had any angry drivers behind sounding their horns as I stall at a speed bump or at a traffic light...just patience and understanding (so far!).

Yes, the positive reaction I get when driving my 911 is great

I think that may be localized specifically to the 911 though (and I'm sure the Carrera GT). I had a Boxster OPC loan car for a day last summer and it suddenly felt like the whole world inexplicably hated me! Nobody would let me out of junctions, I got a few 'leers' from other road users, and some [beep] decided to park 1 inch away from the driver's door in an otherwise empty car park... all in the space of a few hours!

The 911 seems to command total respect wherever it goes. Love it

Disclaimer: you are always going to get a few total morons though that thinks it's clever to key your car or slash the tires or put a brick through your window. So of course never get lulled into a false sense of security, especially in London

Fantastic review easy_rider911! It is good and not surprising that you are 100% happy with YOUR choice of spec. You have got me thinking about purchasing my second Porsche from a German dealership to save a few GBP.

I have to add that I have already noticed that this car makes me drive differently. As if the car influences your driving style and begs to be driven a certain way. I used to be much more aggressive when I had a BMW.

Last night another driver in a BMW 3 series was in the wrong lane at the traffic lights. He darted off when they turned yellow (before they even turned green!) in order to jump in front of me and enter the right lane....hmm...I used to drive like that when I had a BMW. I just don't feel the need to do things like that anymore.

I find myself (automatically) driving in a much more precise, careful manner. I've found that I have not needed to exceed speed limits to inject some excitement into the driving experience (like I had to with the BMW). The experience of driving a Porsche 911 is so involving that it is immensely satisfying even without breaking the limits.

Somehow, this car just feels so special every time I turn the key and fire up the engine. I just love it!!

Brilliant account of your entire experience mate, really enjoyed reading it. If I wore one, I'd take my hat off to you

Dear Easy rider,

I wish you all the best with your brand new beast!!
    I actually asked my dealer to go for factory collection but he said it was impossible due to Greece's stupid taxation system over new cars. The car must come here.

I am glad you opted for the 20'' sports suspention. So did I but with artic silver and cocoa. Self diming mirrors plus parktronic and bose soun system. Add to this short shift and PSE ....

I will be receiving mine on February... I just cant wait.

Long live the 911,

Enjoy your car to all its extent!
    Florent

Easy

Just went through your sequence of posts before, during and after your factory collection. Mine is scheduled for late Feb. Reading your posts helps calming the increasing tensions. Cheers.

Most of fun with you car.

Merry X-mas.
    Stefan

Thanks Stefan. I'm glad you found my posts useful. I'm a first time Porsche owner going through the same emotions and experiences as so many others have done before me so, while I am going through it all, if I can be helpful to others, why not?

Those pics were just outstanding!

Dear Easy Rider,
    I see you imported your car 911. I imported a merc once from Holland and I had to wait about 18 months. How long was your wait? Please let me know the contact no. and person at the dealership. I will give them a call.
    Have you had any niggles yet and if so did you get a proper service from the UK dealer??
    If you have any more photos, I would love to see them.
    Thanks and best Regagards. Lu

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763775 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436132 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260877 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257836 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82575 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876459 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808495 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM