Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Finally...Cargraphic is releasing 997 Turbo Sport Exhaus

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Yes, you could say that tuner "A" has extensively tested their products and they have a long history of racing expertise or you could say that tuner "B" is not good because they haven't done extensive testing. There are just so many variables to think about when looking for a good tuner. I'm just surprised to hear you tell us that it's okay to use the system from RS-Tuning after sharing with us your opinions earlier, "Wait with ANY aftermarket mods until the car is on the street for a couple of months, better 12 months." It hasn't even been 12 months yet. So when is it okay to take a "leap of faith" in choosing a system for your car? I'm playing the "waiting" game myself.

Yes, I agree. This is why I'm still waiting...especially when it comes to engine mods. Even if RS-Tuning comes up with a ready-to-go kit tomorrow, I would still wait another 6 months or so until I would go for it. Let other owners be the guinea pig, sh.t ALWAYS happens with tuned cars and luckily, RS-Tuning is learning fast and Mr. Reinhold Schmirler, the "brain" behind the tuning is a real genius and figures out possible problems very very fast.
    Even better: RS-Tuning is only 40 km away from my home.
    I can't always recommend them to customers who live far away, simply because the brother of Mr. Reinhold Schmirler, Gerhard, is a little bit "difficult" to deal with from time to time. On the other hand, RS-Tuning is the first address when it comes to first class tuning. They don't have a fancy company building like Techart or Gemballa and they surely don't know to make friendship and talk you into something like Alois Ruf but they deliver first class quality and I will NEVER understand why they never tried to make more out of it like companies like Gemballa or Techart did for example. You should see Reinhold Schmirler in his office...the workshop. Dirty with oil with a smile on his face and always very fascinated by every car entering his workshop. I really like this guy, he has fuel in his blood, like in those classic car racing movies. You rarely see such people anymore.

To get back to the Cargraphic exhaust: Cargraphic is "only" a dealer in Germany, they're not really a tuner like Gemballa or Techart. They sell very good products and they always seem to choose first class manufacturers. Cargraphic also sells RS-Tuning engine kits and H&R coilover kits, so Cargraphic, RS-Tuning and H&R are actually THE players regarding the 911 Turbo. Mr. Remmen, one of the owners of H&R, actually owns and owned various tuned 911 Turbo, so the kits from H&R are always topnotch stuff.
    Unfortunately these are things known only to "insiders" and freaks over here in Germany, very sad.

The Cargraphic exhaust has been developed together with RS-Tuning and is manufactured by the UK company Phoenix as far as I remember, a company which manufactures the Cup exhaust systems for Porsche. Of course I don't know if it won't "harm" my 997 Turbo but since I know RS-Tuning and Cargraphic very well, I highly doubt it and I'm willing to take the risk. The exhaust incl. the double exhaust pipes is around 5000 Euro plus install, quality doesn't come cheap.
    Regarding the engine tuning, I repeat it again: even if RS-Tuning would be ready with their kit, I wouldn't do it yet because I don't have 30000 Euro for a new engine.

Am I taking a risk regarding the exhaust from Cargraphic? Definetely yes, I'm not naive. Is the risk very high? I don't think so. Despite the good reputation of Cargraphic and RS-Tuning, Cargraphic provides a LIFETIME warranty for the exhaust, two years for the catalytic converters and I know that if something goes wrong, I have somebody I can talk to (this of course is only an advantage for ME since I live only 40 km away from RS-Tuning).

For those who don't know who RS-Tuning is, they're practically one of the best racing engine builders for "classic" 911 engines (964, 993, 996 GT3/GT2/Turbo, 997 GT3/Turbo/GT3RS) along with Manthey maybe.

Gemballa, Techart, Ruf and all these nice names don't do professional racing like the one RS-Tuning and Manthey are involved with. I actually never heard that Ruf or Gemballa did ANY professional racing at all. Like I said before: I'm not talking about Formula One racing but about racing with modded 911 cars, so RS-Tuning and Manthey definetely have a HUGE experience with these engines.

yes Christian, Rs-tuning and Nordschleife 24h winner 2006 Manthey are the best

Quote:
    RC said:
    [...] one of the owners of H&R, actually owns and owned various tuned 911 Turbo, so the kits from H&R are always topnotch stuff. [...]

Interesting, I didn't know that! Great explanation by the way, I totally agree with your point of view. It just brings up the question if 6000 bucks and all the hassle is worth the spiced-up engine sound.

So what are the rumours about Porsche introducing their own sportexhaust? Any chances that one'd show up?
    I assume this could be possible within the launch period of the GT2, if at all.

Re: Finally...Cargraphic is releasing 997 Turbo Sport Exhaust

Quote:
    Crash said:
    ... Just wondering, how do the round tips go with the somewhat trapezoid exhaust cutouts? Can you change those too?

The Cargraphic exhaust, as RC says is made by Phoenix a UK based company who are owned by Cargraphic - A prototype of this exhaust was used on a stock 997tt by UK company Tech 9 Motorsport at a recent vmax event where people run their cars along a ~1.4mile runway for fun and cross a timing beam to see how fast they can do.
    The 997tt with exhaust did 189mph !!
    RS Tuning have since tested the system on their engine dyno - what sets RS apart from others is as RC says, the main man is a complete petrol head if you turn up there you will see his head buried inside the back of a 20 year old carrera or designing some new intake system or a new cup car, he is unbelievably thorough, on an engine he recently built for me he had made and tested 3 different camshafts before he was happy with th ecomplete torque curve ! - He works to the early hours in the morning testing components to the limit on his engine dyno - this needs a special mention, it is from the company Borghi & Saveri -this company makes expensive engine braking systems, as used by Ferrari Formula 1 !!!

Quote:
    Nick_Athens said:
    Come on. You dont insert anything into the engine...
    It is just an exhaust.. I believe it wont have any problems..

If you use a quality cat this statement is 100% correct.
    On a Turbo you want to reduce the back pressure , this is achieved by increasing flow. Tests show that increasing flow lowers the temp behind the turbo's.
    Less back pressure will make the turbo's spool up more freely. The exhaust gasses are less "trapped" between the turbo exhaust side and the cat. Makes a big difference.
    The problem in any modern system is not the piping but the cat. A good system depends on a good cat. Of course the rest of the system has to be equally made of quality materials to avoid drone and leaks. But I am convinced (a) quality exhaust(s) for the 997 turbo is(are) already available in the market without any danger of compromising the turbo's or the engine itself. Once the exhaust gasses reach the parts you have replaced they have no impact whatsoever on the engine.

Is it true that changing exhaust will make the check engine light come on?
    If so, does it mean I need to change the computer as well? I don't really wanna change the brain of my car. But does this mean I need to buy also the RS tuning computer?

Quote:
    Initiald.com said:
    If so, does it mean I need to change the computer as well? I don't really wanna change the brain of my car. But does this mean I need to buy also the RS tuning computer?

The check engine light will only come on if you have a cat which is not doing its job , so if you have a good exhaust system including a quality cat you will not have any issues at all. The light will NOT come on.
    Porsche uses a Lambda sensor before and after each cat to measure how well it works. If the ECU does not detect a predetermined amount of variation in the sensor before and after the cat it will turn on a check engine light indicating an error. This happens if you remove the cat all together or have a cat that is not doing what it is supposed to do : clean the exhaust gasses.

Quote:
    Initiald.com said:

This happened in the past with 996 Turbo sport exhaust systems which weren't OBD compliant or which weren't to well designed. It shouldn't happen with the Cargraphic exhaust since it is OBD2 compliant and my experience with Cargraphic and RS-Tuning has been pretty good in the past.

Here's another picture of the sport exhaust.
    Copyright by Cargraphic.

Another picture.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Initiald.com said:

This happened in the past with 996 Turbo sport exhaust systems which weren't OBD compliant or which weren't to well designed. It shouldn't happen with the Cargraphic exhaust since it is OBD2 compliant and my experience with Cargraphic and RS-Tuning has been pretty good in the past.

Here's another picture of the sport exhaust.
    Copyright by Cargraphic.

this in the pic is my car

Looks good, esp interesting is the heat shields they use around the superior aspect of the muffler and the 200 cell cats. Probably one of the better systems out there, personally I'm going with the fabspeed setup. I've worked with him in the past, I'm close, etc. The exhaust temps with the fabspeed setup are actually lower and the backpressure markedly reduced( as was a lot of the turbo lag). My only concern is the 100cell cats on the fab system.

Cargraphic is one of the best in the market right now...I had it on both my GT3 and my brothers GT3RS, and I tried several 996Turbo and GT2 equipped with their exhaust system.

I have to say that on both GT3 and GT3RS I didn't find any big increase in term of power...only good quality sound! On turbo equipped engines the difference is noticeable but this have something to do with the sportier cat converters.

So...for N/A engines if you are looking ONLY for SOUND you can go for Cargraphic mufflers (best value for money); if you are looking for Sound and Power you have to go for full Cargraphic system or full Europipe Exhaust system (better quality but also more expensive). For Turbo Engines I only tried Cargraphic so my only feedback is the one at the beginning of thi post.

Cheers,
    Max

Quote:
    C4S Surgeon said:
    Looks good, esp interesting is the heat shields they use around the superior aspect of the muffler and the 200 cell cats. Probably one of the better systems out there, personally I'm going with the fabspeed setup. I've worked with him in the past, I'm close, etc. The exhaust temps with the fabspeed setup are actually lower and the backpressure markedly reduced( as was a lot of the turbo lag). My only concern is the 100cell cats on the fab system.

I like the Fabspeed a lot because it is so modular. Would be great to be able to take of the mufflers and run straight pipes. Just on those days when you feel a little crazy.
    But my BIG concern is the same as you. They use 100 cell cats. That's asking for a CEL in the future I think.
    EVERY other tuner so far uses 200 , the ones offering 100 clearly state that the ECU needs to be reprogrammed. I am not willing to take that risk so I think I will settle for Cargraphic.

Here is one example :
    http://9ff.de/en/products/details.php?n3id=4&artID=349&n2id=34&relID=2858
    they offer 100/200/300cell cats , the 100 NEEDS a modified ECU.

I'm afraid sport exhaust systems using 100 cell cats are NOT OBD2 compliant, something which may cause problems with the software mapping (engine control light flashing up, even entering emergency mode). Not to speak about the fact that most of these system are very likely NOT streetlegal in most countries.

Well since on the topic of 997TT exhaust thought i would throw this into the mix. With sound and video clips on later pages...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=310490

Me likes! I might go with these systems when they become available. Any ideas when that will be?

Quote:
    harryo2b said:
    Well since on the topic of 997TT exhaust thought i would throw this into the mix. With sound and video clips on later pages...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=310490

Again , going with 100 cell cats is asking for (future) problems. As long as Fabspeed does not offer a 200 cell cat system it is a no go for me. It's impossible that his 100cell cats would work without a ECU mod and the ones form for example 9ff wouldn't. :
    taken directly from the 9ff website ,
    100 cell Sport metal catalytic converter
    OBD II suitable only with modified ECU

I also don't like manufacturers who come up with weird hp gain claims, simply by adding an exhaust only.
    If I remember right, I had my issues with Joe a couple of years ago in another forum. This doesn't mean his systems are bad, don't get me wrong.

Btw: here's another system offered by german company Speedart, available with 100 cell or 200 cell cats.
    There are many systems out there already but don't forget that we're talking about a Turbo engine here and any change to the backpressure, has influence on power and torque.
    In my opinion, one can be happy if there isn't a power LOSS if the system is designed the right way. Unless of course it is a system with 100 cell cats or with bypass pipes and I'm really not sure such a system would work right with the 997 Turbo, not to speak about the fact that it would be completely street ILlegal in most countries.

Mounted on car.

Interesting to note that just about every tuner out there are going with dual circular tip outlets. All of them look similiar. Only TechArt has a different type.

Does anyone have the link for RS tuning? Thanks

THanks RC and TB993tt for the great photos and info about RS Tuning. RS Tuning seems like my kind of dedicated perfectionist, a real gearhead!
    I really appreciate your insight into this company and its people and products!

Techart wants $1200 for their exhaust tips!

http://www.cecwheels.com/images/medialibrary/tat_997_turbo_pg_rev1.pdf

$1280 for chrome and $1410 for black chrome. Bloody expensive if you ask me.

Thanks for the pdf eclou!

I think you can probably get away with 100 cells on a 996TT, but my understanding is that the ECU on the 997TT is completely different. Will wait and see I guess. I know Stephen at IA Motorsports has run them for yrs on a 996TT and he has about 2k miles on his 997TT with the fab system, no problems yet.
    What do the CG's run anyway($)?

On the PDF listed above, they are close to $6k! By RC's standards, that makes them extra great! For that much $$, I understand that it cures cancer too!

Sound clips can be found on the lower right section of this website:

http://www.cargraphic.com/index.php?/s,6,7,18,717,735/

I heard them...and WOW! Now I'm ordering these.

Atomic, where did you find the 997 tt clips? the ones I found on that website are the 996tt clips.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777847 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441947 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262896 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261119 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85385 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5652 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880800 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816311 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM