Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Factory Collection and my first impressions

Porsche Museum pic 17

Our hotel: the NH Hotel Hirschberg Heidelberg

The first night I have ever parked the new car out on the street...I parked down the side of the hotel away from the main road just to be safe.

Another front view outside the hotel

Visiting my German dealer...

Inside Porsche-Jeck's car park

Porsche-Jeck's Seal Grey & Cocoa 987S. What a beauty! Thanks again PJ for your kind hospitality.

Our hotel: the Holiday Inn in Aachen

Waiting at Calais to board the P&O ferry to Dover

Our ferry...

The English coast approaches in view...

The famous White Cliffs of Dover...nearly home!

Some adventure you had!

Out of curiosity, how much of the Pounds7k you saved on the car did you subsequently spend on the trip (incl. hotel, boats, petrol, etc)?

Parked safely in our underground car park at home in London...No cars allowed on the stacker above our car because of height restrictions...

Another car park view

A new Karcher high pressure washer.

@69bossnine, @stradale: being the 2 rennteam car washing gurus, can you tell me if I am doing something really harmful if I use one of these?

That's it guys for now. Hope you enjoy my photos and my write-up (as a first time Porsche owner). I plan to write some more thoughts once I have put some more miles on it and again after the engine running-in period is over. I also plan to post some more detailed pics of the various options etc...

Once again, enjoy!

Nice write-up and pictures...thanks

Congratulations! Now, wasn't that a lot of fun? It was worth the wait. Now go do some donuts at Picadilly.

Dan

Quote:
    Alex (UK) said:
    Nice job!!

You must be in 7th heaven right now. Lots of follow-up questions...

• How many miles did you put on your trip? ie. Are you nearing your break-in target already?
  • What is the Sports Suspension like around London roads, with speed bumps everywhere?
  • Have you hacked your PSE yet? HIGHLY recommended!
  • At some point, would you be able to list out all the steps you took to purchase your new Porsche in Germany and get it registered here in the UK? As saving approx. 10% retain price will certainly be a big interest to me once I decide to fork out for a new Turbo in a few years time.

Glad everything worked out so well. I think a lot of that is down to your thorough up front research you obviously did

• Thanks Alex (UK). I can't express how happy I am in words!

Re your questions:

1) There were 6 miles on the odometer when I left Stuttgart and 642 when we arrived home. Total 636 but this includes some miles finding Porsche-Jeck's home! I'm planning to run the car below 4000 rpm for the first 2000 miles then I will drive it harder.

2) The -20mm sports suspension is simply amazing. I am SO SO glad I didn't let the UK dealers put me off this. They are simply steering buyers to the 'safer' choice of PASM so that there is less chance of regret later if a buyer finds the -20mm too firm. Around London, I have put a further 70 or so miles on the car between Monday and Wednesday this week. It drives beautifully on London roads. You do have to take it dead slow over speed bumps (and even then you might still rub the plastic strip under the car) but this is fine. I have found the reaction of the people behind me (who are held up by me going slowly over the speed bumps) to be fine. They realise I have to take it slow. I used to get really angry reactions when I went slowly over the same speed bumps in my old BMW. The way people react is so different now. The difference is so easy to perceive. People treat me with much much more respect than before when I had a BMW. In fact, when I was boarding the ferry, the man in charge of on-loading the cars asked me to park the car on the same deck as the coaches. He knew I wouldn't want to go up the ramps like the other cars (without me even having to ask him for this). I've had plenty of other people already saying 'nice car' so it's a nice feeling not being a despised BMW driver in London.

3) I am doing the PSE hack today. Actually, the technician at the Porsche dealership I visited to get my PVTS device fitted even showed me how to do the PSE vacuum hose modification! He said it was perfectly safe PROVIDED THAT the ends are taped up to prevent an 'engine fault' being reported.

4) As for detailing all the steps from start to finish which I took to do the purchase, I will post these later some other time. It's a lot to explain!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    WOW!! What a car!!!! I have had it for 7 days now (sorry, I have not written this report earlier - things have been so busy!) and all I can say is that it is simply fantastic! I just love it!! (But more on that later...)

Having watched your love for the beautiful beast I thought this thread never would appear, unless PAG's exclusive department would make the PCM screen show the Rennteam site, because nothing could drag you off the driver's seat
    Wonderful write-up and great pics - just like the ultimate illustrated book for any first time P-car waiter
    PAG should have given you the car for free, as you're a priceless wandering live advertisement for them - great to see such level of enthusiasm
    The hours just flew by so quickly during our live P-chat
    And we're some lucky guys, as both our better halfs have been bitten by the P-bug also. They definitely know more about the cars than just colour choices (although they obviously have been the decisionmakers in this regard.. )
    Enjoy the Porsche Honeymoon to the max

Congrats on new 997S. Thanks for all the pictures.

I'm sure your underground parking spot is safe, but the "space" for the car is so tight. We certainly has too much room in North America in comparison.

Great story, thanks very much for sharing it with all of us.

What can I say but, CONGRATULATIONS Easy !!
    I'm so happy for you
    Oh and THANKS for the wonderful review of your tour and the amazing pictures
    Your car IS A BEAUTY, SHE really is

Congrats , you must be glad to have her home, it has been a long wait for you.

Great combo. Very classic.

I don't like your garage though. It must be a pain to park it there. It looks like the "thing" above it is goona fall on the roof of the car.

Again, congrats and drive safely

A big big applause for a beautiful combo (as i told before it was my first choice, but a bit too expensive for lady beltar )
    Enjoy your car !And i'm still sad we couldn't meet when you passed by going to Calais. When you ever plan to discover Flanders fields... give a buzz;

That must be the best write-up on a factory collection tour that ever appeared on Rennteam Thanks, man! It was a great pleasure reading it and comparing it to my own factory collection experience. Congratulations and now quickly pile up your miles to be able to enjoy the full >4000rpm experience Hmm, and PSE is getting better with more miles, too

Welcome home fella.

I'm so that in belgium we are deprived from factory collection by stupid rules of the govenment!
    The car must be "alive" in belgium before you get an immatriculation. When collecting a new car in germany, you have to put it on a german licenceplate first and then change it in belgium . You then have a secondhand car

That was a great read - thank you! Taking delivery of your first Porsche is one of life's special moments and you certainly did it the right way with the factory collection.
    Just one thing - you mentioned that it had 6 miles on the clock when you collected the car, but the photo of your speedometer looks as though it shows a mileage of 6 kilometres - not miles. Hope you changed the readouts to miles and mph or you could be getting some big speeding tickets in the uk!!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690535 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409793 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256044 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235283 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858465 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774749 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM