Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cayenne V6 Turbo?

I just heard a strong rumor that Porsche wants to add a turbo charger (only one!) to the Cayenne V6 engine due to complaints that the engine is too weak for a Porsche.
    Estimated power output would be around 280-300 HP, top speed around 230 kph.
    The V6 Turbo could replace the current V6 by MY 2006.
    Again: just a rumor!

Re: Cayenne V6 Turbo?

thus the Naturally aspirated V6 cayenne shall become a much desired collectors porsche due to its limited production run of 1 year.

bwahahahahahaha

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    thus the Naturally aspirated V6 cayenne shall become a much desired collectors porsche due to its limited production run of 1 year.

bwahahahahahaha

Or you could just buy a VW Golf VR6/R32 and get the same engine.

Interesting rumor RC. I would guess the price will also have to go up as a result, probably several thousand US $.

Funny thing about Cayennes is that I expect them to depreciate significantly. With the intro of the regular Cayenne, the values on used S models should continue to drop over the next several years.

Quote:
    swilsonator said:

Or you could just buy a VW Golf VR6/R32 and get the same engine.

no kiddin? wow that sucks.

Not quite.

Porsche did a number of mods to the VW engine (also used in the Audi range for the 3.2TT with DSG), mainly to 'tune' it to the Cayenne's torque and power output requirements. As a result, despite having the same block, all three (VW, Audi and Porsche) have different output characteristics.

My view (biased as I have a V6 Pepper on order) is that the S and Turbo will depreciate more than the V6, but since that is the base model in a desireable product range it should hold out relatively well, percentage-wise. At least I hope it will.

But then again, I just needed a truck to transport my family and our growing collection of chaff around in, and I didn't want a BMW/Volvo/Lexus...

I don't know, I think depreciation is related to how much the particular model is desired and not wether if its the base model of the model range. And in that point of view I think the V6 Cayenne is going to suffer more because its the least "Cayenne" with its low output engine, which is generally regarded insufficient for a SUV of that weight, and its is regarged to low range for a brand like Porsche (more so by other Porsche owners and especially by the other Cayenne S and TT owners). And its also least "Porsche" of the range with its VW engine which is by some disliked since at least the other models have a genuine Porsche engine after the VW-Porsche chasis colaboration. And depreciation will rise even more so in the future if Porsche adds a Turbo to the engine which will lower the appeal of the n/a V6's even more.

I could be wrong, I'm not expert, but if I had to choose one I think its the Cayenne TT who will hold its value the best, partly due to the prestigious aurea that sorrounds the "king of the hill" Porsche SUV model and partly due to the potential for upgrade and tunning of the engine compared to the others. But there could be a difference in depreciation in US vs Europe since the milage that the TT yields is a handicap here in Europe and could favor the in the Cayenne S model as the most desired in the 2nd hand market being in between the practicality of the V6 Cayenne and the perfromance and attractiveness of the Cayenne TT.

The V6 as it is should actually fare pretty well in terms of future values. The dealers aren't discounting the vehicle, so a "used" V6 doesn't have to be priced too much lower than dealer invoice.

Hi Carlos,

I understand what you are saying, but I think your view will be held more widely amongst 'enthusiasts', who will as you say regard the V6 as a lesser vehicle. And I think that, unfortunately, this is the minority of prospective Cayenne owners.

In the UK I suspect that there are far more people buying the Cayenne 'because it's a Porsche'... but not because of the racing heritage or performance aspects of the marque, but because it's a 'more upmarket' brand than the competition (BMW, Volvo, etc.) I hear this all the time amongst some friends and people buying/looking at the Cayenne when I am loitering around my local dealership! Badge snobbery, as opposed to performance, seems to be quite a large reason for a lot of Cayenne sales.

Furthermore, if you look at X5 sales in the UK, the biggest seller is the 3.0i (base model), as it allows people to have an X5 but for less money than the 4.4i or 4.6i model. Most of these buyers don't care about performance, they just want the "facility" of the car at the lowest possible price. As a result, resale values of the 3.0i are higher (percentage wise) than the 4.4i or 4.6i, since there is demand for the car, not the 'performance version' of the car.

My reasoning for the V6 was based on similar thinking. I could well be wrong, and only time will tell, but I am hoping that (like the X5) the 'entry cost' to Cayenne ownership will remain high because of the demand for Cayenne ownership rather than the demand for a performance Cayenne.

Then again, as I said, I am biased and could well just be trying to convince myself that I am being smart in ordering a V6!

Cheers,
    Gary D.

RC, is this a response to the VW move to a 270 hp 3.6ltr V6

Quote:
    Mick said:

For reference (from Autoweek:link)

Quote:
    Trouble is brewing between VW and Porsche, according to reports in Germany. The media there say VW wants to update its base Touareg in late 2005 with a 270-hp 3.6-liter V6 running FSI direct-injection, replacing the 220-hp 3.2-liter V6. Porsche, which has a deal with VW for 3.2-liter V6 engines for its mechanically identical base Cayenne, was caught unaware of its four-wheel-drive partner's plans for the new V6. VW chairman Bernd Pischetsreider recently approved those plans without the knowledge of Porsche boss Wendelin Wiedeking.

This isn't the first time the partnership has had trouble either. Personally I would like to see Porsche try to go it alone, but it may not be possible. I don't think they would have any problems getting ThyssenKrupp to deliver a body-in-white directly to Leipzig. They may have more trouble finding replacements for all the more mundane VW parts that have been used.

Quote:
    Mick said:

Good question, Mick. I have to admit I didn't know that VW plans to offer a 270 HP engine in the Touareg. This could be the reason, you're right.

Another problem could create the upcoming VW Touareg W12 with 450 HP. It plays in the same league as the Cayenne Turbo and I even heard it is a few Euros cheaper than the CT.
    Although top speed will be limited at 250 kph, performance is rumored to be in the CT range.

Quote:
    GaryD (UK) said:
    Hi Carlos,

I understand what you are saying, but I think your view will be held more widely amongst 'enthusiasts', who will as you say regard the V6 as a lesser vehicle. And I think that, unfortunately, this is the minority of prospective Cayenne owners.

In the UK I suspect that there are far more people buying the Cayenne 'because it's a Porsche'... but not because of the racing heritage or performance aspects of the marque, but because it's a 'more upmarket' brand than the competition (BMW, Volvo, etc.) I hear this all the time amongst some friends and people buying/looking at the Cayenne when I am loitering around my local dealership! Badge snobbery, as opposed to performance, seems to be quite a large reason for a lot of Cayenne sales.

Furthermore, if you look at X5 sales in the UK, the biggest seller is the 3.0i (base model), as it allows people to have an X5 but for less money than the 4.4i or 4.6i model. Most of these buyers don't care about performance, they just want the "facility" of the car at the lowest possible price. As a result, resale values of the 3.0i are higher (percentage wise) than the 4.4i or 4.6i, since there is demand for the car, not the 'performance version' of the car.

My reasoning for the V6 was based on similar thinking. I could well be wrong, and only time will tell, but I am hoping that (like the X5) the 'entry cost' to Cayenne ownership will remain high because of the demand for Cayenne ownership rather than the demand for a performance Cayenne.

Then again, as I said, I am biased and could well just be trying to convince myself that I am being smart in ordering a V6!

Cheers,
    Gary D.

You make some good points Gary, and you may be right, but right now its time to enjoy the car and worry about depreciation later

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    You make some good points Gary, and you may be right, but right now its time to enjoy the car and worry about depreciation later

Depreciation? What's that? I never buy a car based on resale value. I'd end up with a BMW 3 series or Mercedes C-class Turbodiesel.
    When I choose a car, I choose it based on two things:
    1. do I like the car?
    2. can I afford it?
    I don't need more.

Good points Carlos and RC! I can't wait for it to arrive now... hopefully there's just about 6 weeks to go!

We ordered the V6 Pepper as a second car (other is a 996C4S) and mainly as a 'utility' vehicle, rather than as a fun car, but on a recent test drive I was VERY pleasantly surprised as to how much fun it actually was to drive! I'm not so struck on the looks, but I do like it overall.

Cheers,
    Gary D.

depreciation

Agree with RC - I purchased my Cayenne S because it did what I wanted it to and I liked it and I could afford it. end of story.
    If you do look at the costs though the V6 will cost the least to run; even if the V6 is unpopular (unlikely see arguements re X5 3.0) and it held only 40% of its value at three yrs then you would loose 60% of Pounds34350 = Pounds20610 and if the TT beat all the odds and retained a massive 60% of its value after 3 yrs you would loose Pounds27412 ... My guess would be V6 62% S 58% TT 55% at three yrs...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765297 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437212 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261393 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258194 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877483 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809734 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM