Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bose system

How do you guys think about the Bose audio system? How do you rate it?

Re: Bose system

Love it. It's not real living room-audiophile quality, but then again, you're listening in a really noisy environment. Sounds good even in my Cab.

Easily the best stock car stereo I've heard.

I would prefer an option to remove the Bose in a TT order. It adds weight and robs shelf space in the back.

Quote:
    notgood said:
    Easily the best stock car stereo I've heard.

I definitely agree..

In audiophile terms it does sounds a little dry and clinical but this system has a very high degree of resolution in the midrange and top end for a factory system. The bass response of this system is deep and very tight. To get the tight bass you must leave the rear seats "up" and locked in position. Otherwise the bass gets loose and sloppy, very evident on plucked acoustic bass instruments. Also, to get the best clarity from this system you must turn off ALL the digital circuitry like the "Surround-Stage processing" and "Autopilot". If you listen carfully you can hear more resolution of the instruments and a more natural sound with them turned off. To the systems' credit the surround circuit does provide a more expansive sound but at the expense of some clarity & fidelity.

Hope this helps.

I should add that the sense of a sound-stage is better than any car I've had, including other Bose systems.

Not be best stock system I've had, but not the worst either, definitely won't be pleasing any audiophiles. But it is a better option than having aftermarket rip your car apart.

Don't know why Porsche aligns with Bose as they are now known as a marketing company rather than an audio research company that originally made them famous. There is a phrase in audio circles that says "No highs no lows... must be Bose".

Oh God here we go again with the Bose system comparisons

Quote:
    JuanCarlos said:

Sorry ;-) We can go back to comparing the Z06 to the TT

I love it, its great for what it is, a stock system that's integrated into fragile electronics in the car. Not audiophile but then again, do you need audiophile quality in a loud sportscar? Leave it for the house.

I'm definitely not an audio expert but the Bose system is find by me. Bass seems a little over powering at times but overall no complaints.

100x better than the old Becker system in my old '00 996. Not as good as the HK in my 04 E55, and questionably better than the Premium Audio on my 04 Touareg. As others have said, Bose is more marketing than quality, and that is coming from a former student of Amar.

Considering Bose uses paper as their cone material in almost all their speakers...it's definitely all about the marketing with them. But hey, it sounds decent at best.

Definitely not audiophile, but very correct and enjoyable for sports car standards. Overall balanced of the system is good but sometimes bass are too present while medium and highs are not.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    100x better than the old Becker system in my old '00 996. Not as good as the HK in my 04 E55, and questionably better than the Premium Audio on my 04 Touareg. As others have said, Bose is more marketing than quality, and that is coming from a former student of Amar.

The HK Logic 7 upgrade is awesome, that and the Levinson system in Lexus I think are the two best OEM systems.

Quote:
    thuggy said:
    Quote:
    JuanCarlos said:

Sorry ;-) We can go back to comparing the Z06 to the TT

No, lets do the tip vs. manual.....

Actually, being a brand new TT owner, I find myself turning the radio off to hear the real music.....I do think the Bose system does sound pretty decent though.

How 'bout getting Nick to discuss the merits of Ferrari versus Porsche? ;

It's all academic to me. My ears are shot from to much loud music in my younger years, loud chain saw and motorcycle exhausts. I just listen to the ringing in my ears now. Something many of you young whipper snappers can look forward to.

I drove over 2000 miles in the past 5 days up and down the left coast alone with nothing between me and the road except the music coming from the Bose stereo system. I find it to be a good OEM system for the most part. Not as good as the Harmon Logic 7 in my Rover but good otherwise. It gives a fair amount of detailed sounds ranging from lows to highs despite the "loud" cruising noise at speed. I'm deaf but can hear to an extent with my hearing aids so I depend on a system that's specifically tuned to my purpose. I was able to tweak the system to suit my needs by fiddling with the bass/treble along with the "surround sound" properties. Works great for my purpoes. I'm also still hoping to upgrade to the Dension Ice-link soon. I found the 6+1 CD setup to be a bit too limiting especially for such a long road trip.

My hearing isn't very good and have lost much of the "highs" over the years to similar reasons as Over The Hill. Even with my limited hearing I find the Bose system far ahead of the system in my 97 993. Very happy with the stock OEM system.

Mike

I'm not an audio fanatic but find the Bose system quite reasonable. Of course, I have a cabriolet so maybe that would eliminate the need for anything too exotic in the audio department.

Dan

Quote:
    atomic80 said:I'm also still hoping to upgrade to the Dension Ice-link soon. I found the 6+1 CD setup to be a bit too limiting especially for such a long road trip.

Jason, try the single CD with an MP3 CD, it works quite well and makes me wonder why I ordered the changer. At least until I can look into an Ipod kit.

Tony,

Is this about a MP3 recorded CD, one that you could make on your computer? If so, is the compression good enough for multiple standard recorded CDs on a single MP3 recorded CD?

TIA,

Mike

Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    ... is the compression good enough for multiple standard recorded CDs on a single MP3 recorded CD?

Mike,

Yes, indeed.

I just burned a test MP3 disc to try out the concept and 22 songs took only 165 MB out of the ~700 MB available. I had previously ripped the songs from their CDs at a bit rate of 256 Kb/sec.

Of course, a lower bit rate for ripping the songs will allow even more MP3 songs to fit in a given data space.

If one were to drop to 192 Kb/s rip-rate, over 100 songs should fit comfortably on a single CD-R.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    [I just burned a test MP3 disc to try out the concept and 22 songs took only 165 MB out of the ~700 MB available. I had previously ripped the songs from their CDs at a bit rate of 256 Kb/sec.

Of course, a lower bit rate for ripping the songs will allow even more MP3 songs to fit in a given data space.

If one were to drop to 192 Kb/s rip-rate, over 100 songs should fit comfortably on a single CD-R.

And as for sound quality compared to CD:

My very unscientific tests on various car stereo systems indicate that 320 Kb/s or 226 VBR Kb/s is quite enough in car stereo use to replace CDs. With lower bitrates you sometimes can hear the difference between MP3 and CD. Unless you're a professional musician or a HiFi-nut..

Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    Tony,

Is this about a MP3 recorded CD, one that you could make on your computer? If so, is the compression good enough for multiple standard recorded CDs on a single MP3 recorded CD?

TIA,

Mike

Mike, I am by no means an expert at this but yes this is an MP3 CD burned on a PC. What ever software you are using has multiple setting to control what info is written, you just need to make sure that you are making an MP3 CD otherwise you will get very few files on the CD. On the first CD I made, I was able to store 81 songs, some of those were lengthy Rush and Pink Floyd tracks so I'm sure more songs could have been stored. I placed a master CD in the changer and played the same song from both the changer and the single CD and could not really tell any diference. It worked really well and all the track and CD info is displayed in the PCM. I think it worked great... at least until I can get the Ipod connected.

Thanks. I'm going to try and make a custom MP3 CD woth my favorite titles.

Mike

In my 996TSCab, the stock system is fine, although it has to "compete" with my power and exhaust upgrades.

One problem, though, is that when I hit peak boost (over 1.2BAR), my Metallica CD's keep skipping. Too much G-force, I guess....

Anyone know if the anti-skip program on the 997TT CD system is an improvement over the 996TT's?

I use the windows media to burn mine, although the real player allowed you to record cd's into the pc at higher compression rates, but this does come at a cost sound quality.

I have noticed anything above 192 kbps is what they say is cd quality, but when you go at 160 or below the sound starts to go, although if you have 128 kbps track you may find that you need to turn up the volume abit more..

when i burn my cds i never compress them to fit more on, i like the best sound quality as possible.

I dont know anything about the bose cd system, maybe if you have a manual for it, it may give you the specification for the cd system.

I use to think car cd players were amasing as to not to skip when you hit bumps, as one whos owned a discman will know that a slight horizontal shock would make the cd skip, although if applied the same force but virticaly it doesnt skip!

Reason is the horizontal shock forces move the lasers lens side to side making it lose focus on the cd and interupting sound.

Where as a virtical force only makes the laser go closer to the disc or further away, and this doesnt affect sound not unless you really shake it, this is why they created a memory buffer for discmans..

Cd players also have error correction program this is made to stop the cd from skipping because of dirt or scratches on the cd, this may also help to correct any errors caused by shock.. Or by you doing to many drop starts

so this brings us back to car cd players and they seem to have better anti vibration bits on the laser / laser lens mechanism.

But when your pulling off fast your applying more horizontal forces on the player so its not supprising it skips

Also car cd players could include memory buffer but i've never heard of a car cd incorperating one.

I took a few cd players apart as a kid..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779565 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442305 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263143 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85667 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5832 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881137 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817784 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM