Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

R34 Skyline GTR, 0-320km/h in around 30s

VIDEO

Could have been faster without the two misshifts and an aggressive launch (word is that the car was launched as normally as possible). 320km/h was reached at the top of fifth gear before the shift to sixth.

Info about the car available HERE and HERE. LHD R34 Skyline GTR (converted from RHD). Running on pump gas (96 octane Petron Blaze).

AFAIK, the run was made on the elevated portion (aka "Skyway") of the South Luzon Expressway, complete with curves and elevation changes. This monster doesn't need an airstrip to show its power.

The driver and passenger were speaking in a mixture of Filipino and Chinese (Fukien dialect). The conversation went something like this (rough translation):

00:08: There's still one car ahead.
    00:11: Never mind that car, it's now possible.
    00:54: It can still do more!
    00:56: No more, it's already at 320km/h. It's enough.
    01:05: It can... (still do more!)

Kick-a*s!

Re: R34 Skyline GTR, 0-320km/h in around 30s

faster than enzo??

Quote:
    VGA18 said:
    faster than enzo??

320kph based on SPEEDO...

The Enzo is several seconds quicker - although it would be interesting to see how quick this Nissan could do 0-100 if pressed to the maximum. Very impressive 200-320kph acceleration indeed.

impressing vid..indeed from 200 to 320 its a bullet

The car is capable of so much more. From what I've read, it's currently tuned (detuned?) for street use, using fuel that's of lesser quality than what you guys get in Europe.

One thing's for sure though, the car needs a new speedo. Seems like it can go faster than 320km/h. Too bad we don't have our own Ehra-Lessien or Nardo here.

how much power does this have

Quote:
    VGA18 said:
    how much power does this have

700whp at 1.5 bar of boost, using pump gas (96 octane Petron Blaze). THREAD

Damn this thing is fast!!

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Damn this thing is fast!!

Useless in Europe for all intents and purposes. This thing would blow up after just a few minutes on the Autobahn. 2,6 litres and 850+ bhp don't mix. Not to mention that black hole of a turbo lag...

I have seen video of a tuned R32 doing the 0-300km/h in 13 seconds.

Quote:
    Walter said:
    I have seen video of a tuned R32 doing the 0-300km/h in 13 seconds.

Yes, the Veilslide car. 1300+ bhp and Veyron-beating performance, at least in short-term acceleration.

I think the car was standing still on a dyno or jack stands. Way too quick from 200 - 340 - no increased resistance of any kind and way too much continued pull way past redline. The vibration seemed to come only from the revs (spinning tires) and not from any road abnormality. Is it just me? I'm certain the car is fast but the video is suspect.

Hmm interesting point

And no steering input for the entire run. That would need to be one stable car on a 'flat as glass' surface. It also sounds like the guy speaking outside the car at the start is heard right after as well. Was he running along-side? What else do you notice which is not quite right?

Look the rpm @ 46th second... move bdown suddenly move up

I agree, first thing I thought while watching it was that this was on a dyno. The run-ups are just way too fast.

Given the fact that the start was very slow/hesitant, a rough timing revealed that the car would do 0-320 Km/h (speedo) in appr. 25 secs.
    I'm with Leawood here. Lack of windnoise and very even accel even above 250 km/h could mean it's on a dyno stand, and not on asphalt.
    700 BHP is not that much more than the CGT, and the accel is so much quicker.

You guys have no idea to how fast some of these modded cars are ...Some are easily faster than your Enzo's, CGT, Zonda's etc and the reliability of those made by the better tuners are better than you'd think. Off the top of my head I can only think of Veilside although their are a few others that can make huge power from these cars without the engine blowing out every mile.

BTW i've watched vids of cars running to 300 quite a bit faster than that...It's amazing.
    The Japanese REALLY know their way around their cars...

THE CAR WASN'T ON A DYNO! It was a legit run. As real as it gets.

Lack of windnoise? Turn up your speakers.

Guy speaking from outside the car? No such person. The first person you guys heard was the passenger.

No steering input? Check out the portion of the steering wheel peeking out from the bottom right corner, especially at 00:41.

Even acceleration above 250km/h? It just proves that the car is a beast.

Car horn at 01:02 was from another car. Dynos don't have horns, do they?

THIS is the local thread discussing the high speed run.

HERE'S a video of a Ford GT doing 200mph on the same stretch of highway. The guys all know each other.

THIS is how the Skyway looks like from inside a car. Onboard video shot from inside a Lamborghini Murcielago.

FULL VIDEO. Any more naysayers?

0 to 320km/h then down to 160km/h and up again to 300km/h. At the 02:00 mark, the car was steered to the side of the road. Can't do that on a dyno, can you?

Quote:
    Henjie said:
    THE CAR WASN'T ON A DYNO! It was a legit run. As real as it gets.

Lack of windnoise? Turn up your speakers.

Guy speaking from outside the car? No such person. The first person you guys heard was the passenger.

No steering input? Check out the portion of the steering wheel peeking out from the bottom right corner, especially at 00:41.

Even acceleration above 250km/h? It just proves that the car is a beast.

Car horn at 01:02 was from another car. Dynos don't have horns, do they?

THIS is the local thread discussing the high speed run.

HERE'S a video of a Ford GT doing 200mph on the same stretch of highway. The guys all know each other.

THIS is how the Skyway looks like from inside a car. Onboard video shot from inside a Lamborghini Murcielago.

Take it easy, my friend. No need to speak to us like we are morons.
    I wasnt saying anyone is lying or cheating here - simply pointing out that it looks like its on a dyno.

I am very much aware that cars can be this fast - it would just have been smarter to simply film the run so we wouldnt be questioning that it's legit (showing speedo + windscreen).

Ill check your video links. Thanks.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Take it easy, my friend. No need to speak to us like we are morons.
    I wasnt saying anyone is lying or cheating here - simply pointing out that it looks like its on a dyno.

I am very much aware that cars can be this fast - it would just have been smarter to simply film the run so we wouldnt be questioning that it's legit (showing speedo + windscreen).

Ill check your video links. Thanks.

Sorry if my post seemed argumentative and some of my statements sarcastic. Didn't mean for it to come off that way. I was just gobsmacked about all the negativity and speculations. Too much passion there for a moment.

Again, my sincerest apologies.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Useless in Europe for all intents and purposes. This thing would blow up after just a few minutes on the Autobahn. 2,6 litres and 850+ bhp don't mix. Not to mention that black hole of a turbo lag...

Well said...no wonder most japanese rice burners with more than 400 HP don't get a technical approval over here in Germany, meaning: a Skyline with 700 HP wouldn't be streetlegal here and one reason is because it would probably blow up if it is driven at top speed for a couple of minutes or even less. Not to speak about environmental issues, safety issues, etc.

Such a car is nice for car forums, for impressing "homies" and kids but for serious sportscar drivers, they're just funny toys for funny people, as arrogant this may sound.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Well said...no wonder most japanese rice burners with more than 400 HP don't get a technical approval over here in Germany, meaning: a Skyline with 700 HP wouldn't be streetlegal here and one reason is because it would probably blow up if it is driven at top speed for a couple of minutes or even less. Not to speak about environmental issues, safety issues, etc.

Such a car is nice for car forums, for impressing "homies" and kids but for serious sportscar drivers, they're just funny toys for funny people, as arrogant this may sound.

It isn't arrogant, it's exactly right. Lots of modified Japanese were removed from the streets here after the TüV certification system was adopted and rightly so.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I think the reason why most Japanese "rice burners" with more than 400hp don't get technical approval in Germany is because practically all 400+hp Japanese sports cars are built by tuners.

But things will be changing pretty soon (can't wait for the R35 Skyline GT-R with a rumored 400+hp under the hood). It's a fact that Japanese manufacturers have the capability to build sports cars that will match or exceed the best that Europe has to offer. It's just unfortunate that for so long, tradition (if you can call it that) and government regulations dictated that their cars stick to a 280hp limit. Serious sportscar drivers are already raving about the Honda/Acura NSX despite it having a lot less hp than most of its peers. Imagine how good a factory-produced 400+hp NSX would have been.

The Japanese manufacturers certainly have the technical and engineering know-how. A Lancer Evo is as quick as a 911 C4 around a track, at less than half the price. The R33 Skyline GT-R lapped the 'Ring in 7:59 despite having only approx. 300hp, 7:59.41 for an '04 Subaru Impreza STi spec C. If Nissan built 2,000 Skyline GT-R Z-Tunes instead of 20 and brought it to the European market, and Toyota's top brass suddenly realized that having a slice of the supercar market is a tempting proposition, there won't be any talk of Jap sports cars not being serious enough.

It's just a shame that to a lot of people, most Jap performance cars are similar to the cars on bad movies like The Fast and the Furious.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    It isn't arrogant, it's exactly right. Lots of modified Japanese were removed from the streets here after the TüV certification system was adopted and rightly so.

Keyword being "modified". If the Jap manufacturers decided to really get in the supercar market, we'd be seeing cars that will make great rivals to the best that Germany and Italy have to offer. Which will be a good thing for car enthusiasts wherever they may be.

Well, I am not that impressed with the "low speed" acceleration. I measured it from 80km/h to 200km/h several times and found it to take over 8 sec.. This number is in line with a z06 and my own tuned 997 TT. I expected more from 700 hp below 200km/h. Maybe I am wrong.

Quote:
    RC said:Well said...no wonder most japanese rice burners with more than 400 HP don't get a technical approval over here in Germany ...

... Such a car is nice for car forums, for impressing "homies" and kids but for serious sportscar drivers, they're just funny toys for funny people, as arrogant this may sound.

Don Sherman, former editor-in-chief of Car and Driver, used to be considered "unfriendly" to turbo tuners when he would review their tuned cars.

The reason? He used to drive them flat out for as long as he felt like it. More often than not, the cars would subsequently suffer a mechanical failure caused by the lack of thermal engineering which was embarrassingly common for "tuner" turbo installations.

That was 25 years ago.

Sounds like things haven't changed much

Quote:
    aah986 said:
    Well, I am not that impressed with the "low speed" acceleration. I measured it from 80km/h to 200km/h several times and found it to take over 8 sec.. This number is in line with a z06 and my own tuned 997 TT. I expected more from 700 hp below 200km/h. Maybe I am wrong.

I believe it would have been faster without the misshift. They were stuck at 120km/h for a second or two there. And remember that the run was made on a public highway, and the Skyway isn't straight at all. It would be interesting if they ran it on an airstrip.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Don Sherman, former editor-in-chief of Car and Driver, used to be considered "unfriendly" to turbo tuners when he would review their tuned cars.

The reason? He used to drive them flat out for as long as he felt like it. More often than not, the cars would subsequently suffer a mechanical failure caused by the lack of thermal engineering which was embarrassingly common for "tuner" turbo installations.

That was 25 years ago.

Sounds like things haven't changed much

Well, you certainly can't be sure that this particular Skyline is of the same variety. The weather here is hot, average temp of 32 deg C, sometimes hotter, and the car is tuned for local streets. There are lots of sloppy tuners but there are also a lot of top-notch tuners, and this Skyline was tuned by the latter breed.

A Skyline GT-R finished fifth overall (and 1st in its class) during the 2004 24 Hours of Nurburgring endurance race.

Quote:
    Henjie said:
    Well, you certainly can't be sure that this particular Skyline is of the same variety. The weather here is hot, average temp of 32 deg C, sometimes hotter, and the car is tuned for local streets. There are lots of sloppy tuners but there are also a lot of top-notch tuners, and this Skyline was tuned by the latter breed.

A Skyline GT-R finished fifth overall (and 1st in its class) during the 2004 24 Hours of Nurburgring endurance race.

We aren't talking about stock Skyline endurance, but about tuned Skylines and other detonation-prone japanese toys. The fact is that this car would blow up if driven hard at the track or on the Autobahn. There is no way to provide sufficient cooling to the engine at these power levels.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Henjie said:

We aren't talking about stock Skyline endurance, but about tuned Skylines and other detonation-prone japanese toys. The fact is that this car would blow up if driven hard at the track or on the Autobahn. There is no way to provide sufficient cooling to the engine at these power levels.

Pardon me but it's not a fact, it's just your assumption. It's kinda funny how you generalize and lump all tuned Japanese cars into the "unreliable" category. BTW, the Falken Tyres Skyline GT-R that placed fifth in Nurburgring is tuned and far from stock.

Admittedly, there are a lot of tuners specializing in Japanese cars whose products are of dubious quality. But it's also the same with Euro tuners working on Porsches. Some are excellent, some you'd avoid even if they offer their services for free. There's more to the world of motorsports than just European cars.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803868 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448706 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266302 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90154 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6732 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886030 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834105 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM