Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Racing Experience

If you have 49.911 EUR left in your pocket (and a lot of spare time), this may be interesting for you: 

http://www.porsche.com/specials/en/international/porsche-racing-experience/

The price seems to be for level 1 only...so... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Re: Porsche Racing Experience

Bargain...;-)

I think Whoopsy has done it already ???

Blueflame

No, this is a brand new program, they have already reserved a spot for me.

Ater completely the whole 3 levels, a International C license will be issued.

--

but you are already in, no?

Ive also sent in an application👍😎😎 LeMans fever?!smiley Need to reschedule some things, but hopefully it will work out. Can't let Nick have all the fun by himself.....😂😂

Whoopsy:

And  the Clubsport will be replaced by a Cup Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Learnt about this Programm in Spielberg - they were listening to their gentlemen Drivers kiss

Whoopsy:

There are much cheaper ways to get one, if you need one. Smiley 

Probably not as much fun as with the Porsche Racing Experience though.

Great to hear that you are going to do this, should be a once in a lifetime experience. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

In Italy for example Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Probably not as much fun as with the Porsche Racing Experience though.

Great to hear that you are going to do this, should be a once in a lifetime experience. Smiley

Well yes, it would have been cheaper to get the international C via other venues.

I already did the Master RSR course, had I been a German citizen I would have gotten a race license already from DMSB, the equivalent in North America would be the SCCA regional license.

As my track's racing school is FIA accredited, I am already eligible for a historic license from FIA also.

After doing the level 1 in the Porsche racing school, a International D license will be issued. 

But the Porsche experience means factory drivers are on hand to coach one on one. When is the last time someone had one on one with a Le Mans winner? As in Timo Bernhard Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

But the Porsche experience means factory drivers are on hand to coach one on one. When is the last time someone had one on one with a Le Mans winner? As in Timo Bernhard Smiley

!!

(In case it's not clear, this is the new "jealous" smiley Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

!!

(In case it's not clear, this is the new "jealous" smiley Smiley

--

in that case : 

Started my "racing career" late, but love it. I'm not one of the gocart boys, since I've spent my youth playing tennis and when relaxing, doing other sports as much as possible. The part I like most with racing is that,since I started late on a very low level, my learning curve is quit steep. And even if I'm working hard and are committed, I have realized that there will be a lot of guys quicker then me around a track. (Including, I'm sure, a bunch of youkiss) but that is fine. I just want to explore my potential.

Some of the Porsche officials here in Sweden is trying to convince me that I should pursue this further and maybe start thinking about participating in the Swedish carrera cup. I don't at all feel confident about this, but rather a bit suspicious. I beat a couple of carrera cup drivers on a ice track,but that's not to be compared to racing in my world.

Not at all very experienced with slicks, just tryed it during my two RSR Ccourses. So, when at LM24, some of the instructors from Hockenheim jumped me and told me about this new thing and said I really should sign up, I told them that I wasn't sure I'm at that level yet, They then told me that the level 1 is a very perfect next step in order to find out exactly where I stand regarding driving skills with a racing car. And heck, they are right!

Can't think of a better way to really find out than to have the best guys (incl. Webber . I'm not sure about Timo, but I know MB is going to be thereangry) asses your skills?!

Thats why I signed up for this Expensive? Sure! Worth it? Let's find out!

And you know, when you at the end summarize your life, I fully believe that the things you might regret is the things you didn't do rather than the things you didsmiley 

kiss

The farmer:

Started my "racing career" late, but love it. I'm not one of the gocart boys, since I've spent my youth playing tennis and when relaxing, doing other sports as much as possible. The part I like most with racing is that,since I started late on a very low level, my learning curve is quit steep. And even if I'm working hard and are committed, I have realized that there will be a lot of guys quicker then me around a track. (Including, I'm sure, a bunch of youkiss) but that is fine. I just want to explore my potential.

Some of the Porsche officials here in Sweden is trying to convince me that I should pursue this further and maybe start thinking about participating in the Swedish carrera cup. I don't at all feel confident about this, but rather a bit suspicious. I beat a couple of carrera cup drivers on a ice track,but that's not to be compared to racing in my world.

Not at all very experienced with slicks, just tryed it during my two RSR Ccourses. So, when at LM24, some of the instructors from Hockenheim jumped me and told me about this new thing and said I really should sign up, I told them that I wasn't sure I'm at that level yet, They then told me that the level 1 is a very perfect next step in order to find out exactly where I stand regarding driving skills with a racing car. And heck, they are right!

Can't think of a better way to really find out than to have the best guys (incl. Webber . I'm not sure about Timo, but I know MB is going to be thereangry) asses your skills?!

And you know, when you at the end summarize your life, I fully believe that the things you might regret is the things you didn't do rather than the things you didsmiley 

Not bad for a farmer Smiley

For me the bottom line is to go and do it, irrespective of the level. With regards to whether this is a too high level, I believe that with the right mindset we can learn from even a level to high. It took me some years to find the courage, but since then I have had some fantastic experiences and frankly I have come further than I even dreamed about back then. 

I did not look at the Porsche program in details, but my view is that if you have the speed, you must go racing. Forget about trackdays etc, most of us can hit a good lap in such conditions, but with the competitors pushing around you, it is another game.

Keep the experience shared with us and enjoy !!!

tso:
    The farmer:

For me the bottom line is to go and do it, irrespective of the level. With regards to whether this is a too high level, I believe that with the right mindset we can learn from even a level to high. It took me some years to find the courage, but since then I have had some fantastic experiences and frankly I have come further than I even dreamed about back then. 

I did not look at the Porsche program in details, but my view is that if you have the speed, you must go racing. Forget about trackdays etc, most of us can hit a good lap in such conditions, but with the competitors pushing around you, it is another game.

Will do and thanksSmiley

tso:
    The farmer:

I can only confirm what TSO said. I started a long time ago with trackways, first with my Mitsubishi Evo VI TM then switching to RWD with my E46 M3. As I felt the M3 too soft and heavy, I was looking into getting a M3 CSL which I finally did. With that car I drove with Sportauto on the N'Ring, did the Swiss license course in Hockenheim and also did drift trainings. Back then I didn't have any coaching in the car, the first time was in 2010 with Frank Stippler at the Ring. That helped me a lot. Since I got to know the owner of Black Falcon personally while he was still competing in the VLN actively and winning more than 20 races, he convinced me to start racing. We agreed if I don't lose more than 30 seconds in my first RCN race in a lowly BMW 325 per lap, mind I never drove on slicks before, I would take it more seriously. I managed to do it and it was a great experience. As I suffered a disc prolapse (second one) in August 2010 I had to kind of restart and April 2011 we drove at Spa with a BMW 330i (V5 VLN car) and I only lost 2 seconds to him per lap so I competed the whole VLN and RCN after summer that year. Unfortunately (or not, depending on how you look at things) at the same time the VLN overall winner and V5 class winners were driving the same car in the same team. It really made me realize that I didn't have such a high risk appetite, especially on the Ring, neither the talent compared to them. They regularly fought for the wins whereas I drove around 5 places. With the benefit of hindsight that wasn't too shabby as the class was hotly contested. Nevertheless I kind of caused some frustration. After that season I only drove sporadically but this culminated in the overall victory 2012 at a RCN races with a BMW M3 CSL, first time a production car did the overall victory and not only class victory.

In 2011 I also bought my first Porsche, a 911 GT3RS Mk1, and at the beginning I really struggled with the driving dynamics coming from BMW. Also not having PSM/ESC kind of added to the cause. Through a lot of coaching with various drivers like Daniel Schwerfeld, Markus Geddlich and various Black Falcon drivers on various tracks like Spa, Hockenheim and RBR, using data recording I got the hang of it. I even renewed my racing license Int D and did the whole Porsche Sportscup event in Spa including Sprint and Endurance last year in a Cayman GT4 CS together with my mate and we got 3 times 6 place and once 4 places. I will do it again this year, again in the Cayman. I also regularly do a warmup in Portimao, this year I drove 3 full days there, with the Cayman as a warmup and then 991 Cups, last years and this years and also a SP7 Cup with wide body. We even had Christian Engelhardt, Gabriele Piana and Manuel Metzger as reference.

For me nowadays the biggest differences to the pros are the fast corners where I frankly don't have big enough balls. In the technical sections I'm almost as fast. 

It boils down to 3 things IMHO, it's proper coaching, a lot of seat time (also with different cards) and your own mental mindset, being relaxed and confident.

Just be aware, once the bugs bites there is no escape, only money and time is a limiting factor.

Enjoy

Mike

https://youtu.be/irjIb1L1Vjk

Nice, Mike!!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Thanks Mike👍 Sounds promising😎

M3ike:
    tso:
    The farmer:

It boils down to 3 things IMHO, it's proper coaching, a lot of seat time (also with different cards) and your own mental mindset, being relaxed and confident.

Right on, tnx for sharing

M3ike:

For me nowadays the biggest differences to the pros are the fast corners where I frankly don't have big enough balls. In the technical sections I'm almost as fast. 

Just be aware, once the bugs bites there is no escape, only money and time is a limiting factor.

Spot on. I can see that within the team (endurance, so 3-5 drivers) I can produce fastest sector times on certain tracks, but there are others where I am well behind our fastest driver. 

The 2 other items I can also subscribe to, though I have personally never had an instructor in the car, but I have used VBOX video/data with very capable drivers and we have slowly and with seat time build layers and layers onto my skills. 

The cost of this I am not even going to mention..Smiley

Got a call from the head coach, Sascha Maassen, today. Confirmed my participation in the first ever Porsche Racing Experience event. The first level in the three step program, the 5 days boot camp.

Will be fun. We will drive the new cup car and Webber is going to be there for one of the days and the hole set up sounds greatkisssmiley

But still many days (and trackdays) away and a lot of other fun stuff before it's time for this. Will however lighten up the dark, Swedish autumn for me with a trip to Rome in October. Keep you guys posted wink

And let's hope Whoopsy don't wait for the US version (will come, but when is still an open question) and join me for this. Would be great fun😀😎😎 

I am joining you!smiley

--

Whoopsy:

Are factory drivers the best teachers though? Often times pros aren't the best teachers for novices. I can only imagine that if you asked Fernando Alonso a driving question, he might just be like "Eh, I don't know, I just can see it and feel it and do it. I can't explain how to do it."

Whoopsy:

I am joining you!smiley

Great! SmileySmileySmileySmiley

Congrats, will surely be an experience that you will never forget. kiss

noone1:
    Whoopsy:

Are factory drivers the best teachers though? Often times pros aren't the best teachers for novices. I can only imagine that if you asked Fernando Alonso a driving question, he might just be like "Eh, I don't know, I just can see it and feel it and do it. I can't explain how to do it."

My experience is completely different, great instructors (no teachers though...a jerk will always stay a jerk, no way to teach him but if people have a good teaching base and experience, no problem). What always surprises me is how humble and nice these factory drivers instructors are, not arrogant, not distant, just nice guys who try to make you drive better. Yes, they are sometimes joking about certain driving styles and situations but in the end, they often enjoy this stuff as much as the "pupils". Smiley

--

Sounds like fun kiss

noone1:
    Whoopsy:

I've been taught in a few courses were one of the instructors was the several time spanish rallye champion (on a GT3) and he was absolutely great, but also non pro racing drivers had great input too. I think it depends more on the particular person and personality independently of their level, but high level pros when you watch how smooth they are with their inputs and make you see how far is the limit of the car actually is, make you really humble about your abilities which is a great thing. Also they don't tend to have any wrong habits that may transmit to pupils.

--

What I"ve always found with pros sitting in the passenger seat is that they are able to process what you are doing, the car is doing, where you are on the track and still have enough mental reserves to discuss all those facts while you're driving. Most people are driving so far below their limits that they only need partial focus for each of those parts of the whole without it being a risk. It's the difference between tunnel vision and taking everything in.

As an instructor I always practiced that skill (and just made me a better driver with more 'bandwidth' as a whole to deal with sensory inputs) by having a running out-loud commentary of what I was doing while driving, looking at, thinking of while I was on the track. "Going into Four, line up with wheel on seam, don't lift, look right on flag tower..." It makes everything harder, it's easier to get flustered when you're really busy going into a corner which means when you're NOT doing it it seems like you have all the time in the world and you can take more in from other stimuli. 

Of course pros and track rats also just love talking and using their hands to talk about every corner in existence. "Use this curb to help rotate the rear... etc." and you learn a lot just doing that as well.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689694 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409324 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255791 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235019 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65547 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858082 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774149 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM