Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Got an invitation....

..from my local P pusher.
    They also import other premium brands like Bentley, Lotus, Lambo etc, and 10 days from now they have a customer-come-try-to-look-rich-and-eat-our-oh-so-trendy-hors d'oeuvres-and-listen-to-lounge-music-so-we-can-sell-u-some-overpriced-statement-on-wheels-party...
    Apart from the mundane glass-plinging and backrubbing they have a couple of good reasons for showing up.
    Presentation of the new Bentley Continental GT cab, Lambo Murcielago LP640, Lotus Europa S, P 911 Targa and the 911 GT3 RS.

Unfortunately the cars will just sit there and look pretty - no driving

If someone is interested in particular pictures or info on any of the cars, lemme know and Ill do what I can

Re: Got an invitation....

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    ... Presentation of the new Bentley Continental GT cab ...

Sorry you won't be able to drive all the nice hardware.

I've been invited to my favorite (and 2-hour distant) Bentley emporium on Saturday for a test drive in the new Continental GT Cabriolet. I don't think the event will involve any Brie or white Bordeaux, but the hardware is the reason to go.

I'll snap some pix.

I was at a Party last night with the intro of the Targa PCNA CEO was there. The night before that went to look at the new 599. What in the world do I do tonight?!

Dr. Pimp Diddy Philly ,

Please keep us posted. I am curious how it goes as well as your own "objective" impressions.

LL

I got an invitation this week as well (which Dr Phil might be interested in): Spyker party with test drive next week Should be a lot of fun.

Had a nice drive in a GTC pre-production car.

There were two to drive. This one below in Moonbeam with Portofino interior and the Silver Lake with Magnolia interior car that is featured in most of the advertising photos. My wife and I took turns driving the Moonbeam car.

Here it is with the top down:

Top up:

Interior shot (I think it would look better in a lighter tone):

Quote:
    LL said:
    Dr. Pimp Diddy Philly ,

Please keep us posted. I am curious how it goes as well as your own "objective" impressions.

LL

Do I sense a little sarchasm in that post?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Interior shot (I think it would look better in a lighter tone):

Mike, thanks for upstaging my measely "you can watch but not touch" happening!
    Beautiful car, I must say. If I had the $$, I'd get a Rolls, tho.
    Think the Bentley has gotten too gangsta-hiphop-ish lately, altho that's nothing to do with the car - only it's more flamboyant owners.
    Have u tried a similar RR?
    ...and when will u get this car delivered?

Sarchasm? Why... what makes you think that?

Anyways, please give us (me) a full review of the dealer event. I assume we are talking about the MLA group in Copenhagen?

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Quote:
    LL said:
    Dr. Pimp Diddy Philly ,

LL

Do I sense a little sarchasm in that post?

Quote:
    LL said:
    Sarchasm? Why... what makes you think that?

Anyways, please give us (me) a full review of the dealer event. I assume we are talking about the MLA group in Copenhagen?

Yup. that's the one.
    If you wanna spend your last dime making someone else rich and paying overprice that's where u buy your new car

I already paid ridiculous amounts of $$ for their services, so I think I deserve both a ride in the GT3RS and a room full of amazingly serviceminded female salespersons

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:Think the Bentley has gotten too gangsta-hiphop-ish lately, altho that's nothing to do with the car - only it's more flamboyant owners.
    Have u tried a similar RR?
    ...and when will u get this car delivered?

There is no "similar" Rolls anywhere near this price point.

I consider the car a very good value for what one gets. The GTC avoids being a member of the perceived "cheaper luxury car" set, yet is priced just barely above them. It's not so far above a Porsche Turbo cabriolet w/PCCB and power kit.

Here's an interesting article from Newsweek (click me) on the market position and the buyer pool for the modern Bentley (GT, Spur, GTC) <$200K cars.

If I can get official confirmation of the absence of IR-rejecting (metallic coated ) glass all the way around, my ordered GTC might be produced in late 2Q to 3Q 2007.

European manufacturers can be so arrogant when serving a market amounting to half their sales when they take a "let them eat cake" attitude about technical specifications that limit a vehicle's desirability in that market.

1) The USA simply does not have a universal GSM phone system standard with SIM-access-profile phones everywhere. Their metallic IR glass blocks pocket/purse/belt-mounted cell phone signals and their only solution to the problem is to force the customer to use a GSM carrier and a peculiar SAP-equipped phone. Dumb.

2) The USA doesn't have autobahns, therefore some good radar protection is required to occasionally enjoy a wee bit of their marque's performance potential. Metallic glass doesn't help this aspect at all.

3) Apparently non-metallic, non-IR glass is a Bentley standard in some other markets, but not available in the USA.

When I asked the Bentley-USA event rep "wazzup with dat?", he said that the English (Germans, too?) at Bentley are all mouth and no ears.

So, we'll see how this develops. My dealer is investigating whether the international parts system can find some non-IR (non-metallic-coated) spare parts glass from "foreign" markets to swap for the mandatory USA-market set-up after the fact.

The dealer is somewhat hopeful since Bentley did remove the IR coating from only the windshield in late-model USA production to reduce complaints from EZ-pass electronic toll transponder users, cell phone users, and radar detector users that found the IR coating to be a major life-style hassle. I'd like to see it go away in the side windows and the back light, as well.

I find this dismissive behavior so strange from a company that heretofore prided itself on the custom "commissioning" treatment that was so evident when I specified my Arnage, including my trip to the Crewe factory. Then, anything I wanted was available for a price.

With the newer cars, nothing can be changed apart from the pre-planned choices. Just like Honda and Toyota

Very weird

Mike,
    I understand your concerns with the glass. I had a Audi A8 that had the special glass and could not get cell phone reception unless I opened the sunroof or put a side window down. I hated that. I also noticed the problems with radar detectors, garage door openers, gate openers. I know that there could be a professional hardship case for you in the radar department( ) but beyond that I saw no reason to have this glass. I hope you can get it the way you want and if they say no, just let your wallet do the talking and walk away. They are doing so well they won't miss your sale, but you sent a message. I may do this with Porsche next time around if the Audi R8 comes out at a decent price.

Dr. Phil, what happened to the pictures and the write-up? Hurry up already, will ya?

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    ..from my local P pusher.
    They also import other premium brands like Bentley, Lotus, Lambo etc, and 10 days from now they have a customer-come-try-to-look-rich-and-eat-our-oh-so-trendy-hors d'oeuvres-and-listen-to-lounge-music-so-we-can-sell-u-some-overpriced-statement-on-wheels-party...
    Apart from the mundane glass-plinging and backrubbing they have a couple of good reasons for showing up.
    Presentation of the new Bentley Continental GT cab, Lambo Murcielago LP640, Lotus Europa S, P 911 Targa and the 911 GT3 RS.

If someone is interested in particular pictures or info on any of the cars, lemme know and Ill do what I can

im especially keen to hear about the LP640

thanks in advance

Dr. Phil, come on already I am impatiently waiting and counting the seconds.

Sorry, guys.
    I never went. Came home after a week's seminar and was simply too busted for canapés and cars
    OK, you may kill me now...

How can anyone be too tired for canapes and cars?

It's all good Some day I'll tell you why I was interested in your impressions.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Sorry, guys.
    I never went. Came home after a week's seminar and was simply too busted for canapés and cars

Quote:
    LL said:

How can anyone be too tired for canapes and cars?

It's all good Some day I'll tell you why I was interested in your impressions.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Sorry, guys.

Sorry m8
    My batteries were simply flat.
    ...and if you live nearby you can always come by me and show me why you asked

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778548 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442133 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263004 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261293 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85542 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5760 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880969 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816849 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM