Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

A short Cayenne Turbo owner report

I thought I write down a few points since I own the Cayenne Turbo for two days now:

Pros
    1. Cayenne Turbo feels rock solid, almost as a "tank"
    2. Quality feel/look is superb, I'd give it a 9 on a scale from 1 to 10 (10=highest)
    3. engine feels very strong, I already saw boost pressure values of up to 0.8 bar on the boost gauge
    4. the speedo cluster incl. TFT screen looks great and is fun to look at, very stylish, informative and ergonomics are good too
    5. the heat insulated windows are a great thing to have, they're a bit darker as the normally tinted glass and even the privacy glass in the rear seems to be darker (if you worry about garage door openers or automatic pay pass systems, the glass has a non-insulated area above the interior rear mirror)
    6. air suspension is absolutely fantastic, it works great and being able to change the stiffness of the dampers and the ride height is a treat, I just love it
    7. the 20'' Sport Techno wheels look much better in reality than on pictures, the ride is stiff (especially with SPORT suspension setting), direct but also very sporty and they show almost no problems with wet pavement (like wide wheels on sportscars).
    8. steering feel is very direct, especially in curves
    9. sport seats are a MUST have, very good side grip but still comfy
    10. the PCM 2 works great, the CD player even shows CD Text and you can use all kind of self-burned CD-Rs.
    11. BOSE sound system sounds great
    12. Bi-Xenon lights provide great light at night, they look absolutely marvelous and they are a MUST have
    13. front and rear leg room is much better than on our ML55
    14. the tilt-down compartment for sunglasses near the sunroof button is a great solution for us sunglass addicts
    15. brakes are pretty good, very stiff and spontaneous brake feel with no real fading

Cons
    1. exhaust sound is horrible, no V8 growl
    2. throttle/shifting response with PSM activated is horrible and very annoying, especially for fast maneuvers (passing other cars, etc.)
    3. car feels very heavy on the straight line (but surprisingly not in curves)
    4. acceleration from standstill in auto mode unsatisfactory (it takes a second or two until full acceleration is established, even with PSM off)
    5. PCM 2 TFT screen quality not that good (if you look straight at it, it is good but not from a driver or co-driver angle), not many possibilities to adapt color and contrast
    6. Tiptronic shift buttons not well positioned (rear buttons would be better)
    7. CD changer has only space for 6 CDs (10 should be minimum)
    8. no MP3 jukebox available as an addition to the CD changer
    9. low profile 20'' tires very likely to be sensitive to damage (boardwalks, potholes, etc.)
    10. no digital boost pressure readout
    11. no digital oil level readout
    12. TFT screen (speedo) doesn't memorize last setting
    13. steering wheel too large (diameter) and especially too thin
    14. central locking system needs a honk signal (for example when doors are closed)
    15. key too bulky and especially too heavy

Just my first impressions, I might add a few things later on.
    Overall, the Cayenne Turbo is an impressive piece of SUV but it still needs some refinement here and there.
    I can't hide the feeling that apparently the Cayenne has been developped by several different development teams and some did it right, some not.

I'd love to hear your comments on my Pros and Cons and maybe suggestions of what could be improved.

Re: A short Cayenne Turbo owner report

I agree with everything you say, though I have the S.

more to go

Cons:

1. Noisy seat when I hit a very small pothole
    2. Side mirror problem, my right side mirror moves when I adjust the left (driver) side mirror (is there a way to fix it?)
    3. Rear window makes rattle noise when I slam it
    4. It had speedometer problem (fixed it and never happen again)
    5. Its not a TURBO! I want one
    6. Why didn't they paint the lower valance to match the body color -_-
    7. The transmission sux, it goes to D5 / D6 so quickly, so I have to use the tips
    8. Exhaust doesn't sound good (agree with you RC, its time to get Techart exhaust system )
    9. Agree with you again regarding the steering wheel, hopefully Techart makes a bigger one
    10. I don't have the PASM
    11. I don't have PDC

Pros:

same as RC, he said it all

My dad is interested in getting a Turbo in Indonesia probably I can print all the Pros to show him how good the car is :P
    neglect all the cons ^^

RC

14. you can set the "honk on lock" from the stalk control

I just picked up a black/black Cayenne Turbo a day ago, so I have a few impressions.

First, in regards to DEETZ's side mirror problem - there's an option to synchronize mirrors in the on-board computer that is enabled by default. Disable that and you'll be fine. I don't remember off the top of my head how to get to it (Main Menu > Settings > Comfort > Mirrors maybe?) but I know it's there.

What was most surprising to me is how light the steering felt; Porsche did everything possible to make the Cayenne drive like a sedan and not a SUV.

Interestingly enough, I had the lurching/throttle response problem on a Cayenne S I drove. It was so bad that the car was almost completely stopped even though I had my foot on the gas attempting to accelerate onto an on-ramp.

My Turbo doesn't seem to have the problem nearly as bad as the S I drove, but I have encountered it a handful of times. The only times I've encountered it are when I'm trying to be very light on the throttle, but other than that I've seen no problems.

The tiptronic takes forever to shift, a real disappointment - but then again I didn't have high expectations for the system going into it.

I really like the build quality of the Cayenne, it is significantly better than any other Porsche I've ever owned (I've had 4 others, still have the 4th one - Turbo Cab). That being said, there are still some switches and covers in the Cayenne that just feel cheap. For example the silver cover for the additional A/C controls (ECON, REST, etc...) feels like it could break at any moment. I enjoy the power folding mirrors but that knob feels like it doesn't have much life left in it either. I have a feeling a mid-model update of the Cayenne will fix these issues (much like how some similar issues were fixed with the '02 996s), but it's just a shame that they exist now.

The car is surprisingly fun; definitely not a handler like a 996/996TT, but still enjoyable. I'm enamored with all of the little toys and gadgets on the interior RC is right though, although the on-board computer's LCD display is excellent, the NAV display is horrendous. I have a smaller version of the Cayenne's NAV display on my Turbo Cab and it looks infinitely better, it seems that Porsche didn't want to spring for a higher resolution for the larger display on the Cayenne

If you all want I'll post pictures/more experiences later.

Thanks man, I was looking at that synch thing and I made some changes and I haven't tried it yet, I'll do it later ^^

When I use the tips, and I slow down, the gear goes down by itself, is it meant to do that?

I feeel like swapping it with a turbo, but my dad won't let me because of the word "turbo"

Quote:
    DEETZ said:

I feeel like swapping it with a turbo, but my dad won't let me because of the word "turbo"

Hey DEETZ,

Just tell him it's spelled turbot, and it's just an European name for a type of flatfish. It should make it sound much more harmless.

He might fall for it, unless he thinks your story is a little too fishy.

fritz

Hey RC,

Do you realize that your choice of header will probably start new rumors about Porsche developing a short version of the Cayenne?

fritz

Quote:
    Mick said:
    RC

14. you can set the "honk on lock" from the stalk control

Not on a german Cayenne. But you gave me a good hint...I might be able to change that in the PST2.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Hey RC,

Do you realize that your choice of header will probably start new rumors about Porsche developing a short version of the Cayenne?

fritz

Well...I guess this is just destiny then...

Hi RC,
    what about fuel consumption ? Are you shocked or does it not matter to you ? I am considering a CT as my daily car but hesitent because of the low mileage. On the other hand a CS has not the punch of the turbo. What do you think ?
    Cheers
    Tom911
    C4S

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Hey RC,

fritz

Well...I guess this is just destiny then...

Well RC,

Some people might deliberately start rumors in the hope that they will become self-fulfilling prophecies. As your family grows, you should consider writing a "Long Cayenne Turbo owner report"!

fritz

Quote:
    tom911 said:
    Hi RC,
    what about fuel consumption ? Are you shocked or does it not matter to you ? I am considering a CT as my daily car but hesitent because of the low mileage. On the other hand a CS has not the punch of the turbo. What do you think ?
    Cheers
    Tom911
    C4S

Goshhh, I knew I forgot something.
    Well, fuel consumption...there is nothing really to talk about.
    Every time I think about it, I start crying.
    After the first 100 km, my Cayenne Turbo ate around 26 litres. And I drove mainly in the city and pretty slowly. OUCH. I know that fuel consumption will get better after a few thousand kms but I still expect something around 20-25 litres/100 km. But the Turbo is fun and talking to various "S" owners, I think 2-3 litres less/100 km aren't worth going for the "weaker" car. Anyway: if you testdrive the Turbo, you'll never gonna buy the "S". Caution.

I am very interested in getting a Turbo, and I just did a quick test drive. The one thing I am disappointed in is inspite of the full leather of the Turbo, alcantara, etc it still feels kind of cheap. The plastics and switches don't look and feel high quality. It is a far cry from Range Rover's luxury interior (or Aston Martin at the higher end of the scale).

That said, I will probably get one. It does drive nicely, much nicer than my X5 4.6 (who's interior I also think is sub-luxury).

Quote:
    RC said:
    Well, fuel consumption...there is nothing really to talk about.
    Every time I think about it, I start crying.

RC,

I wouldn't cry about it yet.

The price of crude oil went up again today, so it could get even worse in the future!

fritz

RC don't make me disappointed for owning the S I want the turbo one now and my dad will kill me if I ask for it... This car has 5.5k miles on it and I want a new one?

I wish I wish my dad didn't understand what turbo means when he picked it up

Quote:
    GoPlay said:
    I am very interested in getting a Turbo, and I just did a quick test drive. The one thing I am disappointed in is inspite of the full leather of the Turbo, alcantara, etc it still feels kind of cheap. The plastics and switches don't look and feel high quality. It is a far cry from Range Rover's luxury interior (or Aston Martin at the higher end of the scale).

Well, it depends what you want. Get a Cayenne with a full wood package and you'll love it but unfortunately I'm more the aluminium/carbon type of guy.
    I don't know if you own another Porsche but the Cayenne definetely has a better interior quality than the 996 and Boxster. And compared to my former Mercedes E55, it is slightly better (not by much though...) regarding quality feel and look.

RC

Congrats on your Turbo man!

have a question.

What petrol consumption do you get with your ML55, and your former E55? Just curous?

Thanks

Re: RC

Quote:
    vladimir said:
    Congrats on your Turbo man!

have a question.

What petrol consumption do you get with your ML55, and your former E55? Just curous?

Thanks

ML55: 16-18 litres, sometimes up to 24 (when driving top speed)
    E55: 16-20 litres, up to 22 litres during top speed driving

I'd say that the Cayenne Turbo eats at least 5-8 litres/100km more but my car is only three days old and the fuel consumption might drop a little bit.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Well, it depends what you want. Get a Cayenne with a full wood package and you'll love it but unfortunately I'm more the aluminium/carbon type of guy.
    I don't know if you own another Porsche but the Cayenne definetely has a better interior quality than the 996 and Boxster. And compared to my former Mercedes E55, it is slightly better (not by much though...) regarding quality feel and look.

I don't agree that the Cayenne's interior is better. I think the base 996 interior is bad, but equipped like the Turbo's it is fine. I find the switches and other plastic parts in the center console of the Cayenne really quite flimsy. The ceiling console with the sunglasses holder is really cheap. I could go on, but you get the point.

RC, you're correct about the wimpy exhaust sound...

...but all you have to do is have the muffler removed and replaced with S-pipes that reconnect to the tailpipes. See mine here.

It now sounds like the powerful V8 it is.

Re: RC, you're correct about the wimpy exhaust sound...

Quote:
    Jeffrey Behr said:
    ...but all you have to do is have the muffler removed and replaced with S-pipes that reconnect to the tailpipes. See mine here.

It now sounds like the powerful V8 it is.

Thanks for the hint, Jeffrey. I'm sure your CT sounds like the CT should sound.
    The problem is: your "solution" wouldn't be street legal in Germany. Not to speak about the likely power/torque loss without ECU remapping.
    I guess I install a sport muffler (didn't decide which product yet) and see what happens. The problem is: a Tuner who's a friend tested 3 different street legal mufflers on the Cayenne Turbo and two had a minor drop in power (although torque was slightly higher in a certain range) and one exhaust had a 3 HP gain which is ridiculous. Of course I don't expect to gain power from exchanging the muffler only but I don't want to loose power.

Tough decision. I also don't want it to be too loud in the interior because of the kids. Now this is what I call REAL problems in life...

BTW: a Porsche Tech told me that the engine/exhaust sound on the Cayenne Turbo is really only created by the muffler.
    If you exchange it, you get a completely different sound. Removing the cats for example (and leaving the muffler in place) doesn't do much about sound on the CT. I was surprised to hear that.

Quote:
    I can't hide the feeling that apparently the Cayenne has been developped by several different development teams and some did it right, some not.

I think I may have said something like this before myself.

I agree with most of your comments RC ... really all of you comments about the performance and mechanical character of the car. I think you will find ways to compensate for the throttle response and shifting problems. The thing is, we shouldn't have to!

About the exhaust sound, I think US users at least can probably get away with removing the exhaust on the Turbo without too much problem. It may be that the catalytic converters upstream provide sufficient backpressure so that removing the muffler doesn't really upset the fuel metering. See this quote from Peter Smith, Cayenne technical advisor at Porsche Club of America (link)

Quote:
    I would like more exhaust noise. Can I replace the cats with a fewer cell cat and achieve this or does it require an entire exhaust change?

I would leave the cats alone and change out the exhaust behind the cats. If you take off the rear mufflers right behind the cats, the car sounds nasty. They easily slip off for any kind of update to go on. I don't know of any aftermarket exhaust yet, but I am sure you could get most muffler shops to put a custom exhaust on it for you.

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 8/23/2003

Quote:
    GoPlay said:
    I don't agree that the Cayenne's interior is better. I think the base 996 interior is bad, but equipped like the Turbo's it is fine. I find the switches and other plastic parts in the center console of the Cayenne really quite flimsy. The ceiling console with the sunglasses holder is really cheap. I could go on, but you get the point.

I don't know, I can't say I can agree but such things usually always lie in the eye of the beholder.
    I remember my 996 Turbo and I just sat in a 996 C2 (40 Years Anniv. 911) a few days ago and I really would say the quality of the Cayenne is better.
    Maybe Porsche improved quality from MY 2003 to MY 2004? What Cayenne MY did you testdrive?
    The sunglass holder is made from plastic but it doesn't look that cheap and it works flawless.
    I didn't say the Cayenne interior is perfect but I really like it.

RC,

I was thinking about your point of exhaust sound in Cayenne Turbo and how it disappointed you despite Porsche was highlighting this "sound" with journalists making Cayenne Turbo reviews apparently with "exhaust modified" cars.

Anyway just wanted to add a funny point to this story. Here in North America we have Cayenne advertisement that I saw couple of times (Bloomberg) where a guy starts his Cayenne Turbo (that he just bought) in the morning and calls a friend then leaves the phone near the exhaust, goes and makes some heavy rpm then goes back to the phone and asks - so how was it.

So apparently Porsche advertised this little bit more that you thought, I just hope you are not the guy he called to :-)

I have a stupid question but does the Cayenne S exhaust sounds better than the Turbo? because the V6 sounds better than the S

DEETZ,

Our Cayenne S exhaust doesnt sound at all or sounds as regular SUV especially if you compare it to my 996 Turbo Evo Motorsport sport exhaust :-)

We had ML500 before and I find Cayenne the best and beating anything I could buy and checked (RangeRover, X5, ML etc.).

Anyway you have a point about V6, its not really different than S and actually being lighter it has some nice/faster handling. I really liked it. For me Porsche is handing first than acceleration :-) anyway I wanted V6 but we got a great deal for S/ML500 trade in plus my wife really doesnt care :-)

cool, guys maybe its time for us to get a new exhaust, if you stay in the US, I may be able to get you a good price for Techart exhaust system and tips. Once the product comes out, I will get the group buy going

I like the V6 because it doesn't look any different from the S while V6 owner can just use Cayenne S badge to pose... and I don't understand it, why do people do that? Even V6 and S owners bought turbo hood, paint the silver caliper, turbo tips, rear valance and turbo front bumper to pose, this is sick!

I think my decision to get a sport exhaust is almost at 90%...

Here's a "symbolic" picture: my Cayenne Turbo with the golden Porsche crest wheel caps from my 3 older 996s (ALL of them carried them...I guess they provide luck. ). I bought them in 1997.

very nice RC, are you going with the Techart exhaust? I know the price estimate I want to get that too, the Sport version and the double tips...

Do you like the gold crest more than the silver crest? I think the silver one looks awesome on the titanium color

Very clean wheel and I love it, I wish they have the 22". I love your red caliper too

I don't think I go with Techart but who knows...
    Right now I'm trying to find out who has a good quality and who's not asking a fortune for it. Prices in Germany vary from 1400 Euro to over 4000 Euro for a sport exhaust and I have to figure out why.

The golden Crest is embossed and of high quality, it actually looks pretty good in reality. I try to take a picture or two of the car outside the garage and you might like it then.
    22'' wheels aren't for me, today I had to worry twice about my 20'' when I parked the Cayenne and when I entered a pretty bad street. No thanks, no 22'' for me.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759973 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433992 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259822 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256966 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80638 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870870 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805964 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM