Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

'More or less Super Car' poll

Thanks for all the interesting replies to the super car poll. The Carrera GT is the clear winner!

Here's a new one which is about 'almost super cars'.
    Once again, if you could explain the reason behind your choice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Scenario: Money is still not an issue (wish it was true in real life ). Let the games begin!

Re: 'More or less Super Car' poll

Cant get a ferrari for sticker price

I myself choose the Gallardo. It is and has always been an easy choice for me. Even when the Gallardo "only" had 500 HP and a strange gearing, I loved it from the first time I saw it. Beautiful, aggressive yet smooth and fairly "politically correct" design. Short, small and wide. Perfect!

With the latest version with 520 HP and different gearing and setup, I am even more in love. Actually like the Gallardo's design much more than that of the Murciélago.
    That it is fractionally slower than the 430, doesn't bother me at all.

Besides, I still don't like the design of the 430. The 360 was so much more smooth and clean. The 430 is a great car, but I do not like the air inlets, etc. which almost look aftermarket (IMO).

Anyways... long story short: Gallardo by a long shot, followed by the 997TT, because the 997TT just like the 996TT is a driving machine that does what it is supposed to, without too much fuss. Don't want the rear wing though, but I could live with that

997TT, because its the best all round performer, its the benchmark in that nitch, and has been for decades, its as fast as the fastest in the list, it handles as well as the best handlers in the list, yet ist practical and reliable, viable as a dayily driver so you are not condemed to only enjoy it on weekends, its amongs the safest to drive and also top ranks in active and passive safety, its got the most heritage and history, its the only one that is an icon for generations of drivers, it delivers a unique experience that no other can, its got top build quality and elegance, its... its... OK I think that will do

My second choice would be a Gallardo. And last would be the Z06.

Gallardo first because of looks and the feeling it bring up in me, horsepower bragging rights (just kidding, or am I? ) and the German influence.
    997TT second. It's a Porsche, enough said. Just not very good looking. But looks the business, i.e. people can see that this car can do some serious damage.
    430 third. Never been a big fan of Ferraris. Think they are to flashy and flamboyant. Besides I don't like the looks of the 430. Reminds me a bit of a Toyota Celica
    Z06 last. It's fast and it performs - but not exotic or even close to being exclusive compared to the rest of the bunch. It's American, enough said. No offence to the US Rennteamers

I'm surprised how people on this site seem to be not very keen on the 430. Can someone whos driven the gallardo and 430 describe the difference in driving experience perhaps?
    Thanks

The 430 is impossible to get, thats its biggest let down imo. Ferrari seems capable of selling anything based on its name rather then what it creates.

997TT - No. Its sound doesnt match its performance. Even though it has more power than ever and steam roller size
    tires it seems more SL like than any Porsche yet.

M6 - No.Looks awful. 7 input commands needed to get max power seems makes it more Sega than supercar.

Z06 - No. Special when running. But reallt looks like any
    other C6 vette.

F430 - No. Production is ending. Silly Anime nose spoils its looks.

Gallardo - Yes. Amazing because it is the first RELIABLE
    Lambo. Just don't try to pick up anyone and their luggage at
    the airport with one.

Poll lacks MB SL55 and/or SL65... Although they both have more bhp than the cars mentioned in the poll, they'd still be the same category.

You may have a point Martin regarding including them, but I chose not to. To be honest I see these 2 fast cars as being very fast GTs but not in the same league track wise. The M6 is not the best handling car either, but from what I've heard and read better than the SL55.
    Btw, the SL55 (latest version with 500 hp) does not have more hp than the cars mentioned in the poll. More than the 997TT (480 hp) and the 430 (490) yes, but the M6 has 507 hp, the Z06 has 505 hp and the Gallardo has 520 hp.

1. F430- passion, exhilaration, and biggest wow factor.

2. Gallardo - 90% of what a f430 is...

3. Turbo - reliable and efficient

Quote:
    LL said:
    You may have a point Martin regarding including them, but I chose not to. To be honest I see these 2 fast cars as being very fast GTs but not in the same league track wise. The M6 is not the best handling car either, but from what I've heard and read better than the SL55.
    Btw, the SL55 (latest version with 500 hp) does not have more hp than the cars mentioned in the poll. More than the 997TT (480 hp) and the 430 (490) yes, but the M6 has 507 hp, the Z06 has 505 hp and the Gallardo has 520 hp.

Current SL 55 has 517 hp...

And about track times: According to German car magazine "Sport Auto", the SL55 track time on the Nurburgring is 8.06 min. (faster than eg a Ferrari 360 or a 996 Carrera), which is incredible for a GT car like the SL.

Anyway, I agree... it's more of a GT, than the cars mentioned in your poll.

My bad. Didn't know the SL55 was upped to 517 hp. Not updated on MB. Still 3 hp less than the Gallardo though!
    In any case, horsepower or torque isn't everything, especially not on the twisties. Nice car you have though

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    997TT, because its the best all round performer, its the benchmark in that nitch, and has been for decades, its as fast as the fastest in the list, it handles as well as the best handlers in the list, yet ist practical and reliable, viable as a dayily driver so you are not condemed to only enjoy it on weekends, its amongs the safest to drive and also top ranks in active and passive safety, its got the most heritage and history, its the only one that is an icon for generations of drivers, it delivers a unique experience that no other can, its got top build quality and elegance, its... its... OK I think that will do

My second choice would be a Gallardo. And last would be the Z06.

Although I don't question your choice, your reasoning is dubious. The Z06 thoroughly outperforms the 997TT. Saying that it doesn't would be sheer denial...

The 430 is the pick of this group, easily. It's not even close from a performance and polished product standpoint, and I think it is the best looking to boot. If it had to be a daily driver I'd go for the Porsche.

Gary

Wow i'm suprised at how many love the Gallardo. I'm not to keen on the lines. Ugly rear end. Spiders look very good though.

I'd chose the Gallardo too, but only a spider or an SE. ....
    second choice would be the 997TT.

Quote:
    JP66 said:
    I'd chose the Gallardo

2006 Gallardo.

4 Reasons:

1) When Evo magazine did a back-to-back drive against the 997TT and F430, they said the '06 Gallardo was significantly more confidence inspiring on British B-roads than the other two. A Lamborghini-Audi better than a Porsche and Ferrari in handling?!

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaeuB-i9G6s&mode=related&search=

3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4-QjcddHg

4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tek4p7jYSA

Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:
    Poll lacks MB SL55 and/or SL65... Although they both have more bhp than the cars mentioned in the poll, they'd still be the same category.

The SL65 is a pig around corners, not im the same league handling wise.

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Although I don't question your choice, your reasoning is dubious. The Z06 thoroughly outperforms the 997TT. Saying that it doesn't would be sheer denial...

Don't see any doubiousness in the reasoning, the Z06 outperforms the 997TT is not only too broad of a stament, but even if for the discusion's sake we take it as so, the problem is that for the Z06, thats all it does , in everything else it ranks right at the bottom, hence my its last choice. Horrible pimp image here, cheap made, impractical for all year daily driver, not the best for all weather sport driving, no sophistication in the package or experience, etc. The Z06 only advantage is that its the cheapest but the poll ask if money is no object.

As to "it outperforms" the 997TT I take it you mean at a track under profesional hands and only just marginally, because street driving by street drivers is a different matter. What happens when the roads are damp or wet? which is easier to extract the max potential by a normal driver and less raw? so in many situations in "real world" driving you will find that the AWD, more sofisticated chasis, will out outperform the other.

And the Gallardo has many of the qualities that the 997TT therefore its clearly my second choice.

I guess, you are one of the selected few who are "allowed" to say so Mike

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:

I voted F430, so I could sell it and buy 3 Z06's.

Quote:
    95jersey said:

............... no comment..............

Quote:
    95jersey said:

Money is no object here and you'd rather be seen in a chevy than a Ferrari?? To each his own I guess. I chose the Turbo because it is not only a great daily driver, it's a track toy, and a legend.

I chose the Z06. It is a blast to drive. Like a rocket. Problem is on public roads you are driving dangerously by 3rd gear. Also, I cannot afford the other cars. But even if I could, being a numbers guy I would be a little pissed if I bought one of the other choices knowing that the Z06 would spank me on the street or track.(OK maybe not in the wet, but who really cars.) Also, for me the looks of the Z06 are better than the others. And I have seen all of them.(this is key)
    Gallardo is just off in the looks dept.
    F430 is cool, but dosnt have then same wow as the 360. Car just dosnt sit right. Probably second choice though.
    997TT - Like the looks, but dont like turbo lag.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Martin J.S. said:

That's why I prefer the SL55 over the 65. The 55 has a much better weight distribution and way less traction problems.

However, I really think that the M6, the 997 Turbo and the SL55 are all GTs rather than track cars. I always hate it when the mighty SL 55 is left out in polls like this.

If this was my poll then I would have added SL55, SL65, AM DB9 and the new Jag XKR.

Porsche is really moving the classic GT way with the 996 and the 997 TT. BMW M6 is a GT (no matter what BMW marketing says).

F430 to me is a good way to show that a car can become more comfortable AND a better track car (since the non-CS 360 really wasn't comfy and not really good on tracks neither). A good lesson they could teach to Porsche, since their standard road cars primarily become more comfortable and thereby get closer to the GT car range (AM DB9, SL etc.).

The Gallardo really gets my pick in that poll for being a relatively tough-minded sports-car. However... I'd never buy one for myself (too small and too uncomfortable).

I'll take a gallardo spider in some obnoxiously bright color please (or white)

If money isn't an object the F430 would be the obvious choice. On the other hand, can I aonly afford one sports car then the 997 would be the pick of the day.

Quote:
    ocnatv said:
    Also, for me the looks of the Z06 are better than the others.And I have seen all of them.(this is key)

are you serious? over the 6 billion inhabitant of this planet , you may be the only one with this opinion...

Quote:
    ocnatv said:
    Gallardo is just off in the looks dept.

Quote:
    ocnatv said:
    F430 is cool, but dosnt have then same wow as the 360.

Quote:
    95jersey said:

: And money left over for some cheap cologne

1.F430- more emotional, rear wheel drive, best poise, involvment

2.997 TT - remains an all weather monster, very practical, everyday king

3.GALLARDO - exotic looks, best sounstrack, don' like the Audi interior, too safe

4.M6 - best engine, awfull looks, bigger and heavier than a proper sports car

5.Z6 - fast but no refinement in handling terms

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777363 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441743 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262798 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260982 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85255 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5588 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880669 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816013 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM