Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

POLL-RMS Leaks (Ignatio)

Ignatio asked me to start this poll for him, please answer the questions as precise as possible. Thank you.

Re: POLL-RMS Leaks (Ignatio)

There is a TSB on this issue.

If the crankshaft is out of round, Porsche will replace the motor.
    Some of the leaks in fact were mis diagnosed. If the intermediate seal is leaking, and not checked, you can replace the RMS, till the cows come home, and it wont make a bit of difference.

The poll that was done on rennlist, showed that most people DID NOT have an RMS leak. Further, those who did have an RMS leak, had the problem fixed, with no other issues. The case of people having serious problems with their RMS, is not as proflific as a barrage of rhetoric emails suggest. Making sweeping genralizations to feed "one man's army", is I think unfair and unfounded.

Renntech.org has also talked about this. To me (I might be wrong) but it seems those people who have had problems with their RMS, are people who have either purchased a used vehicle that wasn't maintained properly, or purchased a vehicle from a reseller who is not associated with Porsche - or both - thus making this "problem" a regional issue with an uncaring reseller being the cause of the heart ache , rather than the company.

My 2.

guess you know he already did the same poll at rennlist?

update poll on rms leaks--please report your current status--include model yr & miles

no rms leak 57.02%
    rms leak in first 2000 mi 0%
    rms leak in first 5000 mi 1.75%
    rms leak in first 10000 mi 10.53%
    rms leak in first 15000 mi 5.26%
    rms leak in first 20000 mi 1.75%
    rms leak in first 25000 mi 7.89%
    rms leak after 30000 mi 5.26%
    more than 1 rms leak 7.02%
    rms leak required engine replacement 3.51%
    Total: 105 votes 100%

Quote:
    RR4 said:

Some of the leaks in fact were mis diagnosed. If the intermediate seal is leaking, and not checked, you can replace the RMS, till the cows come home, and it wont make a bit of difference.

The poll that was done on rennlist, showed that most people DID NOT have an RMS leak. Further, those who did have an RMS leak, had the problem fixed, with no other issues. The case of people having serious problems with their RMS, is not as proflific as a barrage of rhetoric emails suggest. Making sweeping genralizations to feed "one man's army", is I think unfair and unfounded.

Renntech.org has also talked about this. To me (I might be wrong) but it seems those people who have had problems with their RMS, are people who have either purchased a used vehicle that wasn't maintained properly, or purchased a vehicle from a reseller who is not associated with Porsche - or both - thus making this "problem" a regional issue with an uncaring reseller being the cause of the heart ache , rather than the company.

My 2.

"showed that most people DID NOT have an RMS leak"... "those who did have an RMS leak, had the problem fixed, with no other issues"..."barrage of rhetoric emails"..."unfair and unfounded"...

I take it you are the same "RR" in rennlist who is obsesively trying to inmediately downplay and hide the issue on EVERY thread on RMS? You are on a mission due to some type of hidden agenda we don't know about and are not being sincere my friend.

I owned 3 996 (996 C2, 996 C4 and 996 Turbo) and never had RMS leaks. Relax.

I just started the poll because Ignatio asked for it and I wanted to do him a favor. Even if this issue has been discussed on other forums, it can't be wrong to discuss it here too.
    You said your opinion and I accept it. But if more than 40% of the 105 people participating in the poll on the "other" forum had RMS leaks, I guess this is an important issue which shouldn't be ignored. But I also agree that it is very likely that 90% of the total customer number probably never had a RMS leak problem.

One question, if we voted in the rennlist one should we vote in this one too or should this be completely separate? I haven't voted just in case.

Carlos,
    Where did you purchase your vehicle?

RR, at my local Porsche dealership, which BTW, you may be pleased to know called me this morning saying that the Euro 17 refund was a mistake (some sort of automated process) and they will call me back to tell me when they know what it really is. We will see.

Yes I am very pleased.
    What is your gripe then?
    You and a fellow rennlister have been going on and on about this RMS and this 17Euro refund, like 2 hens in a hen house. When in fact there may not be a problem at all.

Let's just have the right information here first, instead of using an online forum as your personal soap box. Unfounded issues, really scour the legitimate ones.

That's what I'm pissed about.

#1 The problem is still there, my warranty expired a while back and so will many other owner's as time goes by, and Porsche hasn't officially taken care of the problem, so you are basically depending of the diferrent countries Porsche importer's personal desition on wether they cover the expenses of a, sometimes 800$ job, sometimes engine replacement. And once fixed can happen all over again so you are never off the hook.

#2 If Porsche can't fix the problem over 7 years of production they should AT LEAST guarantee the reapairs warranty or not.

#3 Even if you don't get a leak during ownership, if Porsche doesn't give 996 owner's that security, when you sell your 996 will suffer from greater depreciation due to the risk of getting an RMS leak out of warranty (in my this last doesn't matter since I always trade my cars in for the next one and never sell privately but I also care about fellow owners who will).

#4 Don't reduce it to Scouser and me, read the threads again and you will see many other people, and tons of newby's or prospective buyers worried about the issue. However you are the only one holding this position of "hush hush" in detriment of your Porsche-peers for reasons I still don't know, instead of supporting and helping your fellows, you act selfishly against for some obscure reason. And Scouser as you know, is on his 4th consecutive RMS leak! so he has got a reason go on about it.

If they can't fix it and still sell these RMS prone leaking engines, which is obvious by now, the least thing they can do is officially extend warranty of RMS repairs, but I'm afraid the guys on the boxster forums have been trying and after letters and letters they haven't acomplished a thing... until the get hit with a class action suit. And if they carry this engine into the 997 they are going to miss out on many sales.

wait a moment!!! 100-57.02= decent sized issue!

even if the result only showed that 10% of all cars had a rms issue - it is still something that should be addressed by porsche, and an official "we'll fix it" policy implemented.

having each customer individually worry about it is a silly customer relations exercise!

porsche obviously know about the true scale of the problem - now, the customers will also know.

and 0% of those polled had a problem after it was rectified by Porsche.

I only know 1 person that frequents this board and another person on another board that continues to have a problem.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    and 0% of those polled had a problem after it was rectified by Porsche.

I only know 1 person that frequents this board and another person on another board that continues to have a problem.

Thats because most 996s are in warranty still, while in warranty its not a big problem (a neucense yes), but afterwards its up to their "benevolence and good will" to fix it since there is no guarantee they will take responsability of it. Thats all people are asking for, don't you get it yet?

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    When in fact there may not be a problem at all.

re: above quote: what planet are you on?

Jay, read my first post, instead of paraphrasing - stick with the facts, we can do without the rhetoric crap.
    Can you read?

Just in case you missed it, here it is.

My 2.

i asked rc to post this poll for me since many people here do not participate in rennlist where i posted a similiar poll.

i would suggest that everyone here participate even if they previously voted on rennlist in order to help determine the percentage of rms leaks on each board. i think the percentages are more important than the absolute #'s.

i also suspect that the problem is much more common than the 10% that rc has estimated. perhaps someone monitoring this board from pag could provide further information?

Quote:
    RR4 said:

RR, you are continuously trying to mislead by telling only "half truths" and trying to make them say something different. Do you even know what that means or what its for? All the Technical Service Bulletin does is tells the mechanics is that if the bore is not concentric, that the engine must be replaced and not just the crankshaft refastened. Thats all. It does not imply anything like Porsche recognised any responsability on the matter or that there is any problem with 996 and RMS leaks.

Quote:
    RR4 said:The poll that was done on rennlist, showed that most people DID NOT have an RMS leak

Again you try to mislead by saying "MOST people did not have a leak" but you purposedly avoid mentioning that actually42% DID have a leak which yields a completely different story.

Quote:
    RR4 said:To me (I might be wrong) but it seems those people who have had problems with their RMS, are people who have either purchased a used vehicle that wasn't maintained properly, or purchased a vehicle from a reseller who is not associated with Porsche

You KNOW you are wrong, and you are purposedly making false statements about other members to twist things (#1) you publicly acused Scouser of not doing proper maintenace on his car so the 4 RMS leaks must of been his fault without knowing anything about his case and he proved you wrong since his car was pampered and properly maintenaced by the official dealer.(#2) you publicly posted in another forum that I bought my car from a non-Porsche dealer without even asking me first, then I politely corrected you there and later in this forum you asked again like you didn't know so. Besides, those others who didn't buy from a dealer and had RMS leak have no rights? how does that change the situation? privetly sold porsches are worthless now?

You viscerally try to keep everyone quiet about the issue and misleadingly make it seem like its a conspiracy which yopu take very personally. You keep trying to blame the RMS issue on the 996 owners, which sounds very suspicious to me comming from a supposedly an ordinary unbiassed fellow porsche owner and enthusiast that comes to the forums to comunicate with other fellow porsche owners. At least thats what you portray yourself as. But tell us RR, do you have any association with Porsche in any way? why are you solely doing this and so actively? I get the feeling you are not being sincere. I doubt i'll get a sincere answer but, do you have any relation to Porsche? why are you acting out of personal interest against the rest of us? I would find it very hard to believe someone would do such a thing otherwise.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Jay, read my first post, instead of paraphrasing - stick with the facts, we can do without the rhetoric crap.
    Can you read?

Perhaps none of your p.car friends have an RMS issue because your sample size is too small. Ask your dealer (sales, or service) if its a 1% issue - you'll find it isn't. Whether it's a 10% issue or a 30% issue - that's what this poll will guesstimate. So as best, you are uninformed and your earlier comment:

Quote:
    RR4 said: When in fact there may not be a problem at all.

is unfounded.

Quote:
    RR4 said:Just in case you missed it, here it is.

Yes, both seals should be replaced (forget about checking it) at the same time as a matter of routine. I believe that both problems would manifest themselves in the same way, and the problem known as RMS also includes I.S. I think it's an extra $10, 10 minutes and 5 nuts?

Quote:
    RR4 said:The poll that was done on rennlist, showed that most people DID NOT have an RMS leak. Further, those who did have an RMS leak, had the problem fixed, with no other issues. The case of people having serious problems with their RMS, is not as proflific as a barrage of rhetoric emails suggest. Making sweeping genralizations to feed "one man's army", is I think unfair and unfounded.

100-57.02 = decent sized issue, there's no "rhetoric", apart from yours!

Quote:
    RR4 said:Renntech.org has also talked about this. To me (I might be wrong) but it seems those people who have had problems with their RMS, are people who have either purchased a used vehicle that wasn't maintained properly, or purchased a vehicle from a reseller who is not associated with Porsche - or both - thus making this "problem" a regional issue with an uncaring reseller being the cause of the heart ache , rather than the company.

Your comment "I might be wrong" is right. It's not a regional issue, it's international. Here, there is an RMS issue, and we have a closed market which means there are no sellers or (late model) service agencies that are not officially porsche authorised. Most used sales are via the same dealer network unless it's a private sale. And of course for all private sales (or used dealer buys) the buyer always verifies serivce records. Therefore, the only other "uncaring" possibility would be that of abuse (but that would show up as stage 1 or stage 2 over-revs), or vehicle modifications that caused other issues. I don't think that the latter is related to RMS issues as no one here modifies their (late model 986/996) cars.

This issue is not about a few people - that's what all the preliminary polls show!

Hmm let's see.

I know only 2 people that have had a recurring RMS issue.
    One of them from the rennlist board was so upset at having 2 leaks on his Boxster, he went out and bought a 996, and then again, found 2 leaks with his 996.

The poll at rennlist found that, AGAIN, only 2 people had RECURRING problems with the RMS. BUT if I didn't know any better and IF I frequented this and the rennlist board, I'd think that there was a serious problem with ALL of the 996's.
    I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY RMS, AS DONT TENS OF THOUSANDS OF 996 OWNERS FOR EFFS SAKE! Your poll is hardly statisically significant to begin with. If you had any experience with polling or taken the basic of statistics course you would know that people who had RMS leaks are more apt to participate in this poll than people that hadn't had an RMS leak - thus BIASING this "harmless poll" even further. This is so juvenile, it hurts.

The 40% that had a problem were CORRECTED by Porsche. I repeat the 40%, 40 percent that had an RMS were corrected by Porsche.

WHY WOULD I BE WILLING TO LOWER THE RESALE VALUE ON MY C2 WHEN ONLY 3 PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE A PROBLEM. DON'T MAKE A SWEEPING GENERALIZATION THAT LOWERS MY RESALE VALUES. You guys act like you are the only ones that own a 996.

CARLOS YOU ASKED WHAT KIND OF AFFILITATION I HAVE TO PORSCHE, NONE OTHER THAN THE $100,000 THAT'S SITTING IN MY GARAGE. Again, I'm sorry that you have a problem with your RMS BUT, as far as I know Porsche has a TSB for the problem.

What I don't appreciate is 3 guys willing to drag the whole ship down with them, WITHOUT qualification.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    CARLOS YOU ASKED WHAT KIND OF AFFILITATION I HAVE TO PORSCHE, NONE OTHER THAN THE $100,000 THAT'S SITTING IN MY GARAGE.

RR, thats even more sad than what I had thought, the only reason you want to keep things quiet is because you are afraid it will lower your re-sale value? pretty cheap and selfish if you ask me, and the only 996 owner in all the boards to be that way.

Besides if you had any common sense you would realise that the best thing that can happen to you is if Porsche extends the warranty of RMS for the life of the car if you want to sell your car in the future. Because RMS leaks are so common and have been happening for so many years that everybody knows about it already,even prospective buyers, time to fix the problem don't you think?

BTW please don't use capital letters... its not polite

If you think I am wrong about any points in my previous message please target them directly.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    The poll at rennlist found that, AGAIN, only 2 people had RECURRING problems with the RMS. BUT if I didn't know any better and IF I frequented this and the rennlist board, I'd think that there was a serious problem with ALL of the 996's.
    I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY RMS, AS DONT TENS OF THOUSANDS OF 996 OWNERS FOR EFFS SAKE!

The concern is with RMS/Seal events, with multiple events being a secondary issue.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Your poll is hardly statisically significant to begin with. If you had any experience with polling or taken the basic of statistics course you would know that people who had RMS leaks are more apt to participate in this poll than people that hadn't had an RMS leak - thus BIASING this "harmless poll" even further. This is so juvenile, it hurts.

There is no possible way of obtaining a suitable sample, hence, I've termed the poll a guesstimate. However, it is a good indication.

Yes, it has some degree of bias - however, the more the poll is publicised, the greater the reduction in bias.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    The 40% that had a problem were CORRECTED by Porsche. I repeat the 40%, 40 percent that had an RMS were corrected by Porsche.

Yes, and how about those out of warranty corrections. If PAG is going to pay for them anyway, why not just make it a policy.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    WHY WOULD I BE WILLING TO LOWER THE RESALE VALUE ON MY C2 WHEN ONLY 3 PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE A PROBLEM. DON'T MAKE A SWEEPING GENERALIZATION THAT LOWERS MY RESALE VALUES. You guys act like you are the only ones that own a 996.

As Carlos has said, this issue is known (in the p.car world). I would be surprised if a p.car enthusiast wasn't aware of it. But, the point I think you are making is noted; that a general buyer may, or may not, be aware of it.

I have discussed it offline with others months ago (not with any of the people currently discussing it) - and I obtained certain assurances from my dealer ... but now that it has come out in the open, it is a good chance to get it (the policy) rectified. I think, having a discussion about it, and if PAG issue a policy, then this would enhance values (in a very marginal way though). Ignoring the issue ... yes, can do, but why, and why let thousands of p.car owners worry about 'minor' things - when it could easly be 'fixed' by Porsche policy.

Quote:
    RR4 said:CARLOS YOU ASKED WHAT KIND OF AFFILITATION I HAVE TO PORSCHE, NONE OTHER THAN THE $100,000 THAT'S SITTING IN MY GARAGE. Again, I'm sorry that you have a problem with your RMS BUT, as far as I know Porsche has a TSB for the problem.

Issuing a TSB doesn't fix anything!

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    What I don't appreciate is 3 guys willing to drag the whole ship down with them, WITHOUT qualification.

No one's dragging anything anywhere! It's just a small 'bug' in an otherwise great package. Porsche has a great relationship with their clients and vice-versa. This RMS issue is a bug that has persisted longer than what anyone thought it would. It's frustrating for all parts of the Porsche family (clients, sales, service, manufacturing etc) ... but it is just something that needs to be worked through - that's all. If you think about the max depreciation effect, it can be no more than the repair cost, which in 95% of the cases probably ~USD1,000 = ~ 1% of what you have sitting in your garage. It's not a massive deal - but it is an issue caused via design faults, not customer faults, and for fussy p.car customers (like all of us), it is tedious.

I hope all of your points have been answered.

I worked for a large Porsche dealership for 7 years and sold them for over 20 years. There is a RMS problem and it is much larger than Porsche wants you to know. They would have 2 or 3 lifts that were occupied everyday for the first 3-4 years that the Boxster and 996 was out. Most of this started once Porsche installed new machines that cut the blocks. I know that they are still having the problem and they bought back many cars with less than 1500 miles on them. I had the problem on my 99 Boxster. This web site is only viewed by the real enthusiast, not the majority of Porsche owners. If it were then you would see much larger numbers complaining of this problem. Porsche is not the only manufactuer having this problem, Mercedes has had RMS leaks on most of their cars over a dozen years. I only write this so someone at Porsche will stand up and take responsabilty for the problem and solve it. Don't worry Ferrari has many more problems than this and it does not seem to be hurting their resale.

MY02 C4s @9k developed the RMS leak and I was told by my dealer that Porsche has developed a new seal to correct the problem. I will be having it repaired with in the month and will post the out come. Also, the nonscence about buying from a private non authorized dealer is BS. My car had 1300mi. on it and I bought from a P dealer.

Nice butt, Fred!

The problem occurs in flat 6 Porsches, it can occur in Porsche that has this engine no matter who sells it.

Dan,
    When a RMS is replaced, was it common practice to also replace the Intermediary Shaft Seal and check the clutch and flywheel for oil contamination?

No it wasn't.
    It is now though.

This fact will "alleviate" some RMS issues.
    How many, who knows.

Altough these polls can indeed be instructive I show some sympathy for RR's concerns. Before going for the 911 I set my mind on an E46 M3 yet renounced because of numerous 'rumours' coming to my attention via Email forums of enthusiasts airing fishy experiences on engine blow-ups. I admit I never had any assurance on the statistical reliability of these rumours yet it clearly did not comfort me in deciding to purchase the car. Eventually I renounced and went for a 2nd hand 996 C2 3.4.
    As regards RMS, I have the car 1 year now, drove 20.000 kms with it and NO oil leakage AT ALL. Total mileage of the engine is already 30.000 kms. The previous engine was replaced though by the previous owner, supposedly because of overreving while downshifting.

I asked because mine goes in on Monday for a RMS repair. '03 C4s with 4k miles. Bought brand new from the dealer. Broken in by the book and never hit readline.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Nice butt, Fred!

Does your wife read the board, carlos?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690753 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409932 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256123 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235358 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858679 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM