Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New car collection checklist - Please advise! Thanks!

Hey guys,

2 weeks to go till I am due to pick up my car in Zuffenhausen but the waiting has become really really unbearable now. I am really dying here! I don't know how I'm surviving... I've been trying to organise myself before the big day so that, hopefully, everything goes smoothly ...so I've put together the following checklists. I'd appreciate your thoughts/advice!

Factory Collection:

- Arrive at 9am at Porsche New Car Delivery Reception & leave luggage with Reception
    - Visit Porsche museum
    - Visit Porsche Drivers Selection Shop
    - Complete Factory Collection paperwork
    - Factory tour in English at 10am till 11.30am (NB: no photos allowed during factory tour only)
    - 3 course lunch in restaurant
    - Collect car (with framed photo of collection) inc vehicle features explanation
    - Take lots of photos then collect luggage from Reception before leaving

Items which should be in the car:

- Keys (2 main, 1 spare)
    - Complimentary engraved key ring
    - Owner's manual (in English)
    - Service handbook (in English)
    - PCM manual (in English)
    - Quick reference guide (in English)
    - Warranty booklet (in English)
    - Worldwide Porsche dealership directory (in English)
    - Porsche Assistance booklet (in English)
    - Porsche Assistance card
    - Leather portfolio
    - DVD navigation disc for Europe (Latest version: May 2006)
    - Full tank of fuel
    - Locking wheel nut adapter should be in toolkit

Things to do before leaving the factory:

- Check VIN # correct
    - Check that pre-delivery inspection (PDI) is stamped in service handbook
    - Check that all standard specification & optional items are fitted using price list & my order sheet
    - Note which brand of Porsche N spec tyres fitted [Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (N1), Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position (N0), Pirelli PZero Rosso Asimmetrico (N1), Continental ContiSportContact 2 (N0)]
    - Check car very carefully (1) outside (esp body panels, wheels & windows) for dings, dents, scratches, rust or damage & (2) inside for interior imperfections (esp leather seats & trim)
    - Check (1) analogue speedometer in mph, (2) rear view mirror for left hand traffic, (3) one rear fog lamp on centre/offside of car, (4) headlamps (dipped beam) point left & (5) steering wheel on right (NB: UK requirements - I bought a C16 UK RHD car from a German dealer)
    - Check all electrics work e.g. lights (inside & outside), indicators, windows, sunroof, locks, alarm, wipers, PCM & CD player/radio. Any warning lights etc?
    - Learn how to programme satellite navigation system for journey home (I have a pdf of the US PCM manual already)
    - Take a tyre pressure reading & set for full load (front: 36 psi/2.5 bar, rear: 44 psi/3.0 bar)
    - Learn how to take an engine oil level reading & take one under supervision
    - On-board computer: (if not already done so) switch (1) digital speedometer from kph to mph, (2) TPM from bar to psi, (3) fuel consumption to mpg (UK), (4) temperature to Celsius, (5) distance from km to miles, (6) time to 24 hr mode, (7) language to English
    - Ask them to programme (1) type 1 automatic door locking when ignition switched on & (2) type 1 automatic door re-locking after 10 second interval
    - Check time set correctly
    - Reset average speed, average consumption & daily trip mileage to zero
    - Check mileage on odometer (Take photo of it)

I've used the 2006 US owners manual to come up with this. Hope I haven't missed anything!

Thanks again for your advice. I'm going mad with all this waiting It's driving me crazy...

Re: New car collection checklist?

I think you've got it just as bad as I do! My car is supposed to arrive any day now! I can't wait either!! Thanks for the comprehensive checklist! Mine was nowhere near yours.

1. make sure the car isn't damaged.
    2. no shipping blocks
    3. check to see everything is the way you wanted it
    4. pay/final paperwork
    5. set up insurance

small things:

1. have them set the door locks to your liking
    2. clear side markers (should be free)
    3. license plate frame to replace the dealer's (should be free)
    4. keychain (should be free)
    5. bumperplugs! (mine came with a set, if yours doesnt, bumperplugs.com)

Ask for a Vehicle Analysis log printout. This will more info than you know what to do with, expect 8 or 9 pages.
    Ask for a ECU print out to ensure that the engine has not been on the rev limiter in stage 1 and exceeded it in stage 2 before you take delivery.
    -Stage 1 is someone not shifting fast enough to avoid the rev limiter and encountering the fuel cutoff.
    -Stage 2 is someone downshifting to the wrong gear and physically over-reving the motor.

Leave the geometry until the car has a few miles on it to allow everything to settle.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:Ask for a Vehicle Analysis log printout. This will more info than you know what to do with, expect 8 or 9 pages.
    Ask for a ECU print out to ensure that the engine has not been on the rev limiter in stage 1 and exceeded it in stage 2 before you take delivery.
    -Stage 1 is someone not shifting fast enough to avoid the rev limiter and encountering the fuel cutoff.
    -Stage 2 is someone downshifting to the wrong gear and physically over-reving the motor.

Is it possible to get this at the factory? If not, I suppose I could get this from my Porsche dealer in London...

Thanks anyway! I am just trying to get through each day one at a time...

A few notes to your notes. The guy walking you through the car can quickly configure all the settings to Imperial,--just mention it to him. You can easily switch from kph to mph yourself when you hit the Channel,--so have them do that in kph initially.

They'll go ahead and drag your luggage upstairs when you head up there to get the briefing.

Take an extra quart of oil with you.

Get all the freebies you can from the ladies in the reception area. Things like the Zuffenhausen Porsche-dienst plate surround and Porsche windscreen scraper (integrated in with their German elapsed parking time placard), and remember to walk over to their boutique for even more Porsche stuff!

For your trip time in Europe know the city codes (numerics) of all your overnight stops. Will speed up putting in the data. If you have any geographical places on your itinerary, scope them out ahead of time with Google Earth and take those Lat Long numbers and copy them down. (The Porsche Nav system is a little wacko,--you input the Lat/Long as LONGITUDE first, and then LATITUDE. (Backwards of the rest of the civilized world).

Dan

Re: New car collection checklist - Please advise! Thanks!

Nice combo I will opt finally for arctic Silver with cocoa leather.

Enjoy and beware dont push the pedal to the metal to hard .....

I am for the 3. November to collect a Targa 4S midnight blue. The waiting makes me ill. I thaught I am crazy. As I read your post, I felt better. Thank you for this post.
    Carlos

You all really have OCD.

Easy,

Try to relax and enjoy the great experience, I'm sure your car will be perfect like mine was.

I was too tired/ overwhelmed to pay attention to several items you listed. It took me a few days to check everything out. The main things I was concerned with initially were to ensure there was no damage and that all my options were there. Luckily the only thing left off were my floor mats- easy fix. It's absurd the car wouldn't have mats included!

i would suggest taking your order with you and checking all the options with it. second: take your time while checking the vehicle. third:walk ouside YOUR car and check the surface and the edges (especially doors), check the gaps (!), then get in the car, and just try everything out (pcm, seat controls(!!!), lights, window controlls....).
    while this checklist might sound a bit "anal" it will ensure that you dont have one of those Homer Simpsons "DOH!" moments later....

are you going for a spin in Europe after the delivery?

nick

Quote:
    Scotty A said:You all really have OCD.

Thanks for the free psychiatric diagnosis. Any other profoundly earth-shattering observations you would care to share with us?

We're talking about carefully planning the collection of a car in a foreign country not about behaviour like washing my hands 50 times a day because somebody molested me as a child.

Oh I get it. You thought you were being funny. Bravo.

Thanks atomic80, Dan L & nick1 for your advice

@ SVNSVN: I'm in the home straight now. Hey, I definitely intend to enjoy the experience to the max!

Take a CD stuffed with MP3s :-)

Easy, Easy ... yes, it was my feeble attempt at humor. Obviously, I failed miserably. I'll try to do better next time.

That's okay man. My nerves are getting shredded so I've been a bit frazzled lately...

schedule 3m clearbra installation, brief delay put a slight kink in my schedule, but you only get one chance at having no annoying but inevidible rock chips if you don't use protection

Personally I wouldn't get too hung up over check lists, minutae etc etc. When you get to the factory just relax and enjoy the experience. Anything minor can be sorted when you get home by any Porsche dealer. We got our Porsche Assistance card with our travel tickets and documentation. Make sure you get the insurance green card from the Factory Collection, that IS important!!

The Porsche representative that hands over the car to you will take as much time as you want to explain every last detail of the car to you. You'd be better off jotting down a list of questions you may have for him. He will demonstrate whatever you ask of him. Check the tyre pressures are OK, mine were way out. (Wouldn't have noticed were it not for TPMS). Certainly have a good look round for dents and scratches, etc. My car was perfect. Why bother noting what make of tyre you have got before leaving the factory? They'll still be the same when you get home!

Oil level reading is straight forward. Just turn the ignition on and the display automatically shows the oil level. My car was set up for miles, but if I were you I'd set to km's, much easier for speed limits and directions to turns which are in km's in Germany. Setting the preferences for readings in metric / imperial is dead easy, RTFM, but the Porsche rep will show you how it's done if you ask. I think it will be fairly obvious if the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car, however . The time is set by satellite synchronisation if you have navigation, just the time zone may need to alter, again the rep will show you if you ask.

But the most important thing of all is to enjoy the experience.

Have a safe trip home!

Take the correct oil with you. (0-40).

Shove a CD in the CD player and make sure it works. I didn't bother; a day later and I discover the CD doesn't work. Took two or three weeks and same number of trips to get it right.

Consider buying a spare tire and jack/wrench; or will you need a satellite phone and a good book for initiating the probable 3-day repair/wait?

Before leaving the factory, call roadside assistance and check if they have you listed in their computer as the official owner. Otherwise, this may happen:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=283099&page=1&pp=15

When I pick up a new Porshe I always ask for a couple of quarts of oil. They should just give it to you free. Since it's likey the car will need some in the first 1000 miles or so it's nice to have handy and less stressful instead of having to go out and buy later. Good luck.

Re: New car collection checklist - UPDATE

A few amendments/corrections to this thread (since I have now learnt what actually happens at the factory when one goes there to collect a new car) (but much of the information contained here will also be useful to those collecting their new car from a dealer as well):

1) The Porsche Assistance Booklet and card are not provided by the factory. They need to be obtained from the supplying dealer. (NB: the card is not issued in every country).

2) The complimentary gift provided at the factory is actually a complimentary LED torch which can be engraved by the Porsche Design Drivers Selection shop. You will need to buy your own key-ring (unless the dealer provides you with one).

3) The PDI (pre-delivery inspection) stamp only applies if collecting from a dealer (since it shows that a series of checks were carried out following transportation of the vehicle from the factory to the dealer). It is not done if collecting from the factory (since no transportation is involved obviously). If collecting from the factory, it is recommended to get the Service and Warranty book stamped by the supplying dealer.

4) The automatic door locking and re-locking functions should be programmed by the dealer (not by the factory) since it requires the PIWIS terminal to be plugged into your car in order to programme these functions.

For those of you planning to collect your new car from the factory itself in Stuttgart, you may find the following thread describing my own factory collection experience helpful:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=290478&page=&fpart=all&vc=1

Lastly, for those of you importing your new car personally from one EU member state into the UK (or another EU member state), you may find some or all of the information contained in the following thread helpful:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...&PHPSESSID=

Best of luck with your new car collection and many congratulations on your new Porsche!

The wait is more then half the fun...breathe breathe and enjoy it all, everything. Looks like you got it down man and your list...Congrats, factory pickup is a gredat experience

Thanks - I've been enjoying my 997S for over 6 months now since I picked it up from the factory last November 2006. It's been a great choice for me.

did anyone get a free pen in the dashboard?

Not from the factory. All they give is a small LED torch.

You might get one from the dealer. But it's unlikely since Porsche Design Drivers Selection pens aren't that cheap!

Picking up a new Porsche at the factory is very exciting. I have done it several times ( Last time i picked up my GT3). They are really organized at the factory and believe me they will not forget to go over everything with you. Have a really great time and wfter you leave the factory head directly east and south and make sure you don't miss the alps and St. Moritz.

I order my my 997 4s cabrio 2 months ago and the delivery time it will be in the first days of febrouary and i worry a lot about the organise here in Greece.
    The order is:
    -WHITE/TERACOTTA AND COCOA TOP
    -TURBO WHEELS
    -ALLUMINIUM STEERING

Many congrats Ilias

Perhaps you could post another thread elsewhere on this board with details of your order.

If you're worried about your order being produced correctly, just ask your Porsche dealer for a IDCS printout. It's a printout showing what the Porsche computerised ordering system thinks your order should be. You can read much more about the ordering process on this webpage:

http://www.986faq.com/3-0/default.asp

It may relate to the 986 Boxster but the principles are still the same.

All the best,
    Easy

Enjoy your trip to Porsche.

Insurance question

I will be picking up a 997 turbo from a dealer in Chemnitz Germany. My insurance company will only insure the car when it hits UK ground.

What insurance options have you taken out? Have you got cover during the transit duration?

If so can you recommend the broker

Quote:
    BOBY1 said:
    Enjoy your trip to Porsche.

Insurance question

I will be picking up a 997 turbo from a dealer in Chemnitz Germany. My insurance company will only insure the car when it hits UK ground.

What insurance options have you taken out? Have you got cover during the transit duration?

If so can you recommend the broker

When i collected my car from the Factory, albeit arranged through a UK dealer, the package included temporary "zol" number plates and 9 days fully comprehensive insurance cover. Can your German dealer arrange this for you?

@BOBY1: everything I did when buying my 997S in Germany is set out in the following thread:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...&PHPSESSID=

Hope that helps Enjoy

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM