Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 911 R (2016)

my dealer told me I won't get one even before it was made official laugh

wouldn't even take my deposit.....

I am probably # 55 on their secret VIP list....

no big deal. enjoying my GT4 all the same and will order a .2 GT3 manual when it comes 

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

That's only in the US cause of the VIP program.

Not the same everywhere else in the world. In Canada not all the 918 owners will get one, and we have more Rs allocations than 918 owners. I believe the number is just under 50 cars.

My own dealer sold 5 918s but only 3 Rs, but they are all for the 1st 3 918 owners. 

In NA does the R go through the VIP program and the 918 owners get first dibs on the R or do the dealers get the allocations and they carry their own priority lists and decide who gets one like in RoW? (though if its the latter I would imagine that because of the VIP program the 918 owners would find out about the R before anyone else and be able to get themselves signed up on the dealers lists first anyways)

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Only PCNA for the USA has the 918 VIP program. Porsche Canada doesn't. But Porsche Canada do selectively ask some 918 owners and other VIPs if they want first dibs. But since there are more Rs than 918 owners, I had to imagine some dealers will get their own allocations for their own selected local VIPs. My own dealer 'might' get a 4th car that's not part of the initial 3 sold to 918 buyers.

--

derder:

my dealer told me I won't get one even before it was made official laugh

wouldn't even take my deposit.....

I am probably # 55 on their secret VIP list....

no big deal. enjoying my GT4 all the same and will order a .2 GT3 manual when it comes 

55? Nah, I'm probably at 55 even with my history lol. Let's go down next week to order a GT3?

I think you guys mean, you can't get one at window, Sun has them readily available 200 over in USA, and...... Elsewhere 100 over.  But an RS 50 over in USA much better idea.   money talks, nobody walks.

Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

Not the same everywhere else in the world. In Canada not all the 918 owners will get one, and we have more Rs allocations than 918 owners. I believe the number is just under 50 cars.

My own dealer sold 5 918s but only 3 Rs, but they are all for the 1st 3 918 owners. 

In NA does the R go through the VIP program and the 918 owners get first dibs on the R or do the dealers get the allocations and they carry their own priority lists and decide who gets one like in RoW? (though if its the latter I would imagine that because of the VIP program the 918 owners would find out about the R before anyone else and be able to get themselves signed up on the dealers lists first anyways)

--

Only PCNA for the USA has the 918 VIP program. Porsche Canada doesn't. But Porsche Canada do selectively ask some 918 owners and other VIPs if they want first dibs. But since there are more Rs than 918 owners, I had to imagine some dealers will get their own allocations for their own selected local VIPs. My own dealer 'might' get a 4th car that's not part of the initial 3 sold to 918 buyers.

My dealer said that there was non chance of getting an R, so I opted to put my order in for 1 991.2 GT3 which I will do a PTS

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

bobr:
    Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

--

My dealer said that there was non chance of getting an R, so I opted to put my order in for 1 991.2 GT3 which I will do a PTS

Wise decision. Most folks going crazy about the R only sees the appreciation potential. Which it is happening and they are just jealous that they cannot cash in on the car. 

The 991.2 GT3 will be better than the R in every way outside of the limited production factor. 

--

Whoopsy:

Wise decision. Most folks going crazy about the R only sees the appreciation potential. Which it is happening and they are just jealous that they cannot cash in on the car. 

The 991.2 GT3 will be better than the R in every way outside of the limited production factor. 

Which begs the question "Why is the limited production even a "factor"?".  Smiley

--

fritz

Parts supply. Plain and simple. 

The RS engine is in limited supply.

The magnesium roof from the RS is not a high volume production item.

The carbon fibre fenders is also hard to mass produced. 

Then there is the time factor, Porsche simply don't have time to make a lot of the Rs to keep it as a model year 2016. 

--

Think of it as a preview of the next GT3. There will be plenty of those.

Whoopsy:

Parts supply. Plain and simple. 

The RS engine is in limited supply.

The magnesium roof from the RS is not a high volume production item.

The carbon fibre fenders is also hard to mass produced. 

Then there is the time factor, Porsche simply don't have time to make a lot of the Rs to keep it as a model year 2016. 

I didn't mean "why is production limited?", but "why do people think that a limited series product is so special if the product itself is not really special?". 

--

fritz

Fritz, how many would be buying the R if it was unlimited production car? At that price, its limited performance parameters compared to other Porsche models and no appreciation, I doubt very many would pony up $200,000 for a marginally better run of the mill Porsche.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Besides the power and the improved gearbox and linkage, the R has to handle better than other 991s. The lighter roof and body panels not only reduce weight but lower its center of gravity and roll center. If those are all not something you can feel and appreciate, then just get a plain Jane 991. R stands for Right Now for those who can't wait for the next GT 3 of for those wanting big factory applied decals.

Whoopsy:

Won't be as light or as clean looking, but I am also hoping it's as good or better in most ways for less money.

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Whoopsy:
    bobr:
    Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

--

Sorry but most folks don't extend to a few of us here who would have been genuine buyers and users of this car had we managed to get one. Like I said a long time ago, I wouldn't care if this car depreciates like a Turbo. I've always wanted a wingless GT3, (and preferably with rear seat but we can't have it all), so I'm willing to pay for it. The Sport Classic was priced ridiculously for what is essentially a GTS, this on the other hand isn't priced badly at all against a GT3 and GT3 RS.

Repeating myself but the R looks stunning in real, way better than the GT3 (regular or RS). If they added PDK they would sell more R than all variants of GT3s if priced close to the regular GT3. And if they add rear seats forget it, they will sell tons.

SciFrog:

Repeating myself but the R looks stunning in real, way better than the GT3 (regular or RS). If they added PDK they would sell more R than all variants of GT3s if priced close to the regular GT3. And if they add rear seats forget it, they will sell tons.

Totally agree. But i can't see why they would still have a GTS if that is the case. 

SciFrog:

well, to me the R just looks plain carrera-boring. the only reason why i sort of like the looks of my RS is the big wing and the aero parts which move it away from the standard totally undistinguished squashed beetle look to a different level. anyway, ferrari and lambo rule as far as looks go but mid-engined lay-outs give a lot of creative room to car designers. but, i need to add, even after 750km in the RS only i got to appreciate certain dynamic features of rear-engined cars (exit stability) and the additional room in the rear (without the torture seats of course).

i am sure the R will handle very nicely but the looks.....???

peter

For me the understated looks which hide the monster performance is exactly the reason to buy it.

Each to their own!

David

--

pmarkow:
    SciFrog:

well, to me the R just looks plain carrera-boring. the only reason why i sort of like the looks of my RS is the big wing and the aero parts which move it away from the standard totally undistinguished squashed beetle look to a different level. anyway, ferrari and lambo rule as far as looks go but mid-engined lay-outs give a lot of creative room to car designers. but, i need to add, even after 750km in the RS only i got to appreciate certain dynamic features of rear-engined cars (exit stability) and the additional room in the rear (without the torture seats of course).

i am sure the R will handle very nicely but the looks.....???

peter

Ferrari and Lambo rules as looks go...when I was 6 to 35. Since then I would take a 911 of any variant over a Lambo or Ferrari any day! The only Ferrari I would drive regularly is a FF. Understated cars are better than outrages looking cars, for me. 

WAY:

Ferrari and Lambo rules as looks go...when I was 6 to 35. Since then I would take a 911 of any variant over a Lambo or Ferrari any day! The only Ferrari I would drive regularly is a FF. Understated cars are better than outrages looking cars, for me. 

I'm the same as you. Also, the more understated, the more you can enjoy the driving aspect of the car on the road because you don't get as much attention.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    WAY:

I'm the same as you. Also, the more understated, the more you can enjoy the driving aspect of the car on the road because you don't get as much attention.

--

speed cams work equal for all cars, don't they:::))))

pmarkow:
    Carlos from Spain:
    WAY:

--

I don't think he is talking just about attention from the police. Whenever I am in my friend's Aventador or Speciale for example, we get mobbed everywhere we go and people take photos of us as we drive along anywhere. Never happens when I'm in a 911 turbo. Surely it's not enjoyable having all that attention wherever you go?! I reckon part of the reason why Lambo and Ferrari owners don't use their cars as daily drivers is because of all the attention!

agree..... but the 911R with red/green stripes isn't exactly subtle.....  maybe to the mums and dads but certainly not to car spotters.  and most (incl myself) will want the "free" stripes.

my GT4 is such an attention magnet it's ridiculous. i don't drive with the windows down for that reason.....not that I am ugly. 

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

911R - GT Silver - no stripes.

99.9% of the population will be completely unaware.

Perfect!

--

WAY:
    pmarkow:
    Carlos from Spain:
    WAY:

--

I don't think he is talking just about attention from the police. Whenever I am in my friend's Aventador or Speciale for example, we get mobbed everywhere we go and people take photos of us as we drive along anywhere. Never happens when I'm in a 911 turbo. Surely it's not enjoyable having all that attention wherever you go?! I reckon part of the reason why Lambo and Ferrari owners don't use their cars as daily drivers is because of all the attention!

i agree that attention can be disturbing but i do understand why nobody is interested in taking pictures of a 991 turbo. just not 'speciale' enough::::))))

however, going from a black 458 italia to a white 991 GT3 RS the amount of attention i get in the streets has only increased. for me there is no comparison in terms of esthetics (the 458 wins the contest by a wide margin) but probably people are drawn in by the wing. 

anyway, who cares, let them take as many pics as they like.....

peter

pmarkow:
    WAY:
    pmarkow:
    Carlos from Spain:
    WAY:

--

i agree that attention can be disturbing but i do understand why nobody is interested in taking pictures of a 991 turbo. just not 'speciale' enough::::))))

however, going from a black 458 italia to a white 991 GT3 RS the amount of attention i get in the streets has only increased. for me there is no comparison in terms of esthetics (the 458 wins the contest by a wide margin) but probably people are drawn in by the wing. 

anyway, who cares, let them take as many pics as they like.....

peter

Right, its what WAY mentioned but also not only the people looking at you as you drive by, or when its parked, etc (don't like to be bothered with that kind attention personally), its also that when you are actually driving, drivers too will react differntly to you if the car is very flashy... if you accelerate a bit hard then they think you are tearing up the street when in reality you are not, they will hog the left left more if they see behind a flashy car, they will stick close to your rear bumper to get a better look at the car, and of course the racers that want to race a flashy car with their TDI, etc...

It just gets more in the way of enjoying actually driving the car, specially if your are doing some sppirited driving which is what I want a sportscar for. For me its a huge handicap. I already complain that my red GTS gets too much attention for a 911, more than I would of expected... and it doesn't even have big wings, or such.

--

DJM48:

For me the understated looks which hide the monster performance is exactly the reason to buy it.

Each to their own!

David

Monster performance?Smiley

It is behind other Porsche models like the Porsche Turbo and Turbo S, the RS and GT3 and of course the 918. To be fifth in performance is not exactly a performance monster.Smiley

My dealer, a large one, is getting three and they are going to 918 owners. NO doubt they will flip the car to defray the cost of the 918 and RS.Smiley

--

Nick,

Hoehn Porsche?

I think I know the 3 918 owners you were talking about :)

They are keeping the cars, actually they are getting super excited about the car as we speak.

--

Porsche of San Diego.

Is there going to be a 991.2 RS?

--

No 991.2 gt3 Rs...I think porsche make the GT2RS for RSR Turbo homologation (2017) and after introduce the "992"

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 991 GT3 RS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688126 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408523 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255466 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234688 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65316 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857424 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773096 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM