Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

phone questions

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    As far a I can tell, no USA GSM carrier has this functionality. It would be nice if they did.

As it stands, the SIM card solution is very inconvenient since one has to remove the card from a phone to use it here.

I have a separate SIM card for my Carrera GT built-in phone and it is of much less use than I would like. I'd have to forward my regular number to the CGT number and then un-do it after I get out of the car. Also, the CGT phone doesn't seem to have the coverage in weak-signal areas that my belt-clipped GSM Motorola RAZR enjoys.

My understanding is that no North American (including Canada) GSM provider allows a mobile number to have more than one SIM card.

I believe the Porsche PCM phone operates on only the 1900 band (not the 850 band).

I also have a separate phone account for the Porsche and haven't figured out a way to store a 'pause' in the phonebook (for voice mail purposes), have you?

Re: phone questions

I tried seeing if I could get an extra SIM card copied but I gave up upon finding out that if you somehow had both in use at the same time, the system will automatically freeze both out. Not something I'd want to happen to me. I'll just stick my SIM card everytime I'm in the car or just get an extra account like some folks have been doing. I like the send/receive capabilities of the PCM system. Very cool if not a bit cumbersome to use.

Quote:
    W211 said:
    I believe the Porsche PCM phone operates on only the 1900 band (not the 850 band).

I also have a separate phone account for the Porsche and haven't figured out a way to store a 'pause' in the phonebook (for voice mail purposes), have you?

Ahh! I had forgotten the 900/1800/1900 setup in the Porsche built-in phones. Perfect for T-Mobile here, but can't use 850 towers on Cingular. Thanks for reminding me.

As to programming a pause, I simply used another phone to set up the SIM card before installing it in the CGT card slot. I copied all the phone book entries from the other phone memory onto the SIM card and set up the voice-mail, too.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    W211 said:

Ahh! I had forgotten the 900/1800/1900 setup in the Porsche built-in phones. Perfect for T-Mobile here, but can't use 850 towers on Cingular. Thanks for reminding me.

As to programming a pause, I simply used another phone to set up the SIM card before installing it in the CGT card slot. I copied all the phone book entries from the other phone memory onto the SIM card and set up the voice-mail, too.

Yes, I suspect the 850 will give better reception but as you said, unfortunately it's not supported by the PCM phone module.

Thanks for the smart idea I'll program the SIM card using another phone. It'll be just so much more convenient if I can do the pauses indeed.

I have two phones, one CDMA for US use, and one GSM for ROW. I have the CDMA phone permanently forwarded to my GSM phone whenever it doesn't answer - that's a carrier (Verizon) feature. With the P builtin phone, that would mean just turning off the portable phone whenever you get in the car, much easier than moving SIMs. And you'll probably eventually break the SIM, anyway.

But even better, I like the Bluetooth in my Lexus.

Re: I love my TT, but lets talk about any irritants..

I agree, Porsche should focus much more on the US market regarding their PCM development (speaking of Sat Radio, Bluetooth, iPod integration, etc.). The US is the most important market for Porsche but apparently Porsche has difficulties with modern entertainment/communications systems. I would love to be able to have a simple POP3 email client integrated into the PCM phone to be able to retrieve my mails while I'm in my car but apparently even this simple task is too difficult for the programmers of the PCM software.

Yes, a Porsche 911 is a sportscar, not a Mercedes S-class or BMW 7-series but still, a lot of people who like to drive fast cars, also enjoy a decent entertainment/communications system in the car. I'm much happier with the PCM system since it is able to play MP3/WMA files but still...not enough in my opinion.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    WetTT said:
    Although I have a stupid grin almost every time I start my baby, I have picked a few subtle irritants...
    1) Center armrest feels too low for me - and I'm by no means really tall - 6.0'.
    2) No BlueTooth - c'mon - my IS has it standard...I see this as a safety feature, especially driving a stick shift...
    3) Security system does not beep when locking/unlocking...
    4) Mistakedly opened trunk with remote a few times already.
    5) One would hope to have adaptive xenons at +-$140k.
    6) No LED tail lights/signals...
    7) No touch screen nav...

Please don't get me wrong - I love this car - just pointing out a few things that I would prefer...

1. center armrest too low? You're really "resting" your arm while driving???

2. Bluetooth is nice to have...if you want to hook up your portable phone to the system. Personally, I have a tri-card phone number, meaning that I have three SIM cards using the same number, so one of them is in my PCM system. No need for Bluetooth at all, maybe this is why Porsche never integrated Bluetooth.

3. the security system not beeping when closing the doors actually is something I don't like either. I programmed the system to beep on my Cayenne Turbo but I'm not sure this is possible on the 997 Turbo.

4. the car key design is a design flaw, I wonder why Porsche doesn't change this. Whoever wears tight jeans (I do and my wife too) has serious problems with this key design because as soon as the key is in the pocket, the buttons are pressed accidentally. Porsche seriously needs to fix this.

5. the Xenons are self-levelling. If you're referrin to the "curve light", I can tell you that this really isn't the greatest thing to have. I have it on my Cayenne and I can't tell much difference at night.

6. I already mentioned in my short review that I don't understand either why Porsche doesn't use LED rear lights.
    Maybe this is something they want to save up for the facelift.

7. I hate touch screen navs. Have you ever seen how the finger prints look at sunshine on those screens in a car? Horrible. The only thing I'm missing on the PCM system is an iPOD connectivity.

Agree, the alarm not beeping is an irritant. No big deal but I don't like having to look back at my car for the double flash of the lights. I would rather get out and walk without having to look back at the car, it's almost embarassing.

My mom just got a Lexus RX350. Nice car but the very first thing I noticed when I opened the door was the finger prints on the NAV. My mom is a neat freak like me so it struck me as very strange before I remembered that it was touch screen. It would drive me crazy if my NAV in the Porsche was touch screen.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Agree, the alarm not beeping is an irritant. No big deal but I don't like having to look back at my car for the double flash of the lights. I would rather get out and walk without having to look back at the car, it's almost embarassing.

I want it silent. I think it is very tacky when they beep - like, I'm here, look at me! I want it discreet! OK... make it programmable and each one takes his pick.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I want it silent. I think it is very tacky when they beep - like, I'm here, look at me! I want it discreet! OK... make it programmable and each one takes his pick.

Truthfully, I've never thought of it that way. Having the alarm beep would just make things ever so slightly easier for me, wasn't thinking about other people's thoughts about it. But honestly if you want to be 'discreate' a Porsche probably is not the right car.

My opinion - People/strangers are focused on THEMSELVES, they couldn't give a rats ass about me or my alarm.

ps: You know what I find irritating? The window buttons. For whatever reason I have to think about which button works which window. In my other cars they're laid out differently so you can use them without looking.

I could do without an audible beep, but at least have a seperate button for lock and unlock. I think that's why people want the beep, because when its really bright outside, its hard to see the flashes when locking the door. Has nothing to do with "stealth". If you want stealth, you can always go old school and lock and unlock your car via the key and lock in the door.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    WetTT said:
    Although I have a stupid grin almost every time I start my baby, I have picked a few subtle irritants...
    1) Center armrest feels too low for me - and I'm by no means really tall - 6.0'.
    2) No BlueTooth - c'mon - my IS has it standard...I see this as a safety feature, especially driving a stick shift...
    3) Security system does not beep when locking/unlocking...
    4) Mistakedly opened trunk with remote a few times already.
    5) One would hope to have adaptive xenons at +-$140k.
    6) No LED tail lights/signals...
    7) No touch screen nav...

Please don't get me wrong - I love this car - just pointing out a few things that I would prefer...

1. center armrest too low? You're really "resting" your arm while driving???

2. Bluetooth is nice to have...if you want to hook up your portable phone to the system. Personally, I have a tri-card phone number, meaning that I have three SIM cards using the same number, so one of them is in my PCM system. No need for Bluetooth at all, maybe this is why Porsche never integrated Bluetooth.

3. the security system not beeping when closing the doors actually is something I don't like either. I programmed the system to beep on my Cayenne Turbo but I'm not sure this is possible on the 997 Turbo.

4. the car key design is a design flaw, I wonder why Porsche doesn't change this. Whoever wears tight jeans (I do and my wife too) has serious problems with this key design because as soon as the key is in the pocket, the buttons are pressed accidentally. Porsche seriously needs to fix this.

5. the Xenons are self-levelling. If you're referrin to the "curve light", I can tell you that this really isn't the greatest thing to have. I have it on my Cayenne and I can't tell much difference at night.

6. I already mentioned in my short review that I don't understand either why Porsche doesn't use LED rear lights.
    Maybe this is something they want to save up for the facelift.

7. I hate touch screen navs. Have you ever seen how the finger prints look at sunshine on those screens in a car? Horrible. The only thing I'm missing on the PCM system is an iPOD connectivity.

My mom just got a Lexus RX350. Nice car but the very first thing I noticed when I opened the door was the finger prints on the NAV. My mom is a neat freak like me so it struck me as very strange before I remembered that it was touch screen. It would drive me crazy if my NAV in the Porsche was touch screen.

At what point does that desire to NOT look back wear off? If for some reason I actually have to leave my car....I'm going to walk backwards away from the car until I can't see it anymore.....

Geez, you only have 2 windows how difficult can that be?

I'm to old school for all this telephone, nav and alarm stuff. The car will be just fine when I ever get it. Next June! Yuk!
    Meanwhile I'll just pose in my old reliable 1991 Nissan Pick'em up.

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    I'm to old school for all this telephone, nav and alarm stuff. The car will be just fine when I ever get it. Next June! Yuk!
    Meanwhile I'll just pose in my old reliable 1991 Nissan Pick'em up.

I note that no mention is made of a supercharged M3! you poor man in a pick up - hey I'm taking the TT for a spin - wanna hook up?

A pair of beauties:

Have both 997TT Tip/PCCB and '07 SL65....after some 2K mis in each, I give nod to 65 over the brilliant 997TT for driving pleasure in both daily use and wkend twisties....997TT only wins in wet conds (which we only see seasonally in SF during winter)....and for its poss world's best brake pedal feel

Can't stand 997TT's Prius Turbo exhaust note, annoying turbo lag and lack of paddleshifters on the perf side....and on daily use side, can't deal w/997TT's <18gall fuel tank (and lim range), lack of Btooth and lack of usable trunk space (to even place wkly dry cleaning w/o being crumpled)....

Net, net, will use 997TT as my wet weather daily/wkend car during the often rainy SF winter...and trade in 997TT for CL63 in Spr07....and hopefully be able to spec an '08 997TT w/PDK, PK and PSE in time for winter '07-'08 use.....

I find the E55 lacking in traction in city driving, even in the dry. Can't imagine what the SL65 is like. Have not driven PCCB but the normal brakes on the 997TT feel much better to me than those fake brake feel MB put on the SL.

They're so bad they removed them from the E-class, the SL unfortunately are still stuck with them. The only model with the ill fated SBC.

Irritating? no screen wash for the rear screen wiper. Means you can't use the wiper unless the screen is wet, what about when it's dirty and dry? same on the 996TT.

here's my major irritant

at 4K miles, the glass on my windshield has a whole slew of tiny nicks in it from road debris. Also, wherever my 3M bra isn't, there are paint nicks. It drives me nuts that the paint and glass seem so soft. I'm sure that this is not just a Porsche problem

Quote:
    Over the Hill said:
    Geez, you only have 2 windows how difficult can that be?

Not in my Cabriolet I don't.

In the Cab there are 4 window buttons and they're stacked on top of one another. Like this:

- -
    - -

No biggy but the top buttons don't operate the drivers side front & back, they operate drivers side and passenger side. The bottom buttons operate the front or the rear windows. Yeah, exactly.

Quote:
    VKSF said:
    Have both 997TT Tip/PCCB and '07 SL65....after some 2K mis in each, I give nod to 65 over the brilliant 997TT for driving pleasure in both daily use and wkend twisties....997TT only wins in wet conds (which we only see seasonally in SF during winter)....and for its poss world's best brake pedal feel

Can't stand 997TT's Prius Turbo exhaust note, annoying turbo lag and lack of paddleshifters on the perf side....and on daily use side, can't deal w/997TT's <18gall fuel tank (and lim range), lack of Btooth and lack of usable trunk space (to even place wkly dry cleaning w/o being crumpled)....

Net, net, will use 997TT as my wet weather daily/wkend car during the often rainy SF winter...and trade in 997TT for CL63 in Spr07....and hopefully be able to spec an '08 997TT w/PDK, PK and PSE in time for winter '07-'08 use.....

PICS !

Jason,

Don't get me wrong. I like to look at pics of these cool cars. But whats with the steep angles? Got a vertigo problem? I'm ok with artsy poses, but i'm getting a kink in my neck from trying to check out your photos!

Quote:
    KJB said:
    Jason,

Don't get me wrong. I like to look at pics of these cool cars. But whats with the steep angles? Got a vertigo problem? I'm ok with artsy poses, but i'm getting a kink in my neck from trying to check out your photos!

Like this?

Quote:
    KJB said:
    Jason,

Sorry...

That's cool, Jason. Is your car here yet?

Keep taking pics, I'll have Sr. Dias do the rotation thing for me

Quote:
    KJB said:
    That's cool, Jason. Is your car here yet?

Keep taking pics, I'll have Sr. Dias do the rotation thing for me

Who is Sister Dias?

Quote:
    andrew34 said:
    Irritating? no screen wash for the rear screen wiper. Means you can't use the wiper unless the screen is wet, what about when it's dirty and dry? same on the 996TT.

Good point. Makes me glad I didn't opt for that useless eyesore hanging on the back of the car. Since I don't intend to drive in the rain I won't need it anyway

Re: here's my major irritant

Quote:
    Alan(NJ) said:
    at 4K miles, the glass on my windshield has a whole slew of tiny nicks in it from road debris. Also, wherever my 3M bra isn't, there are paint nicks. It drives me nuts that the paint and glass seem so soft. I'm sure that this is not just a Porsche problem

No it's not. I call those 100 mph chips. Solution: Slow Down. Answer: That's not an option! Bottom Line: You didn't buy a show car (did you?) so drive the wheels off it and repaint/reglaze it, or buy a new one. PS I'm on my third windshield/windscreen on the M3 and the clear bra is getting pitted.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    WetTT said:

It's a sports car not a mobile office or gadget den.

Quote:

untrue, it's not a sports car, it a chubby, heavy grand touring status symbol of questionable if not offensive appearance

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688716 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408777 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255555 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234815 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65403 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857649 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773495 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM