Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Wave, no wave, dumb to wave, mean to not return waves?

More from the outline of _The Ethics of Waving 101_.

So I'm driving my M3 yesterday, the day before I spend the whole day in the 997s. So, coming my way is a 997 and I'm happy to see another Porsche and I wave slightly vigorously, not realizing I'm driving my BMW!!! (kinda sstupid I know).

BTW, I would NOT have waved to him had I realized I was NOT driving my Porsche.

Anyway the guy in the 997 stares and "refuses" to wave back.

Now that's not very nice! A Porsche 911 driver "refusing" to wave to a really cool looking BMW late model M3! WTF?

This is an issue for me (verrry small issue) especially because I "return wave" any "hot" car with a car guy driver that waves to me in the Carrera (Corvettes notwithstanding, every non-GM-type car guy loooooves the Porsches).

Oh, the situation was very obvious, several other cars, two lane straight road 25-30 mph, grasses and brush on each side, slow "boring" stretch of pavement.

Just reporting my most recent Porsche quandry.

Re: Wave, no wave, dumb to wave, mean to not return waves?

I wouldn't be ofended, neither have I ever waved at a BMW owner.

I think sometimes society brainwash you not to be nice to strangers you see on a road. You're not sure if the guy waving is gonna jack you, waving at someone else, flipping you off, confuse you with someone else, etc.

However I always wave back if a girl waves at me. Doesn't matter if she's driving, walking, sitting next to her boyfriend. Whatever.

I see the problem...I don't wave back at any guy if his wave could be described as slightly vigorous.

Thank goodness you were in the BMW!

MMD, don't worry. As GI doing my thing in Germany I wave to every kind of Porsche on the road here and I seldom get waves back.

Will point out my best waves would have came from a GT2(initiated) and a MB 300 SL. Other than that Germans either don't wave or think i'm a punk in a punk car.
    (25 year old in a 987S)

Oh well.

It would then be time to give the thumbs down and drive off. Its almost a conflict of interest to own both a Beamer and a glorious special sweet PORSCHE...MMD...;-)

Lets see there are a few universal signs drivers give other drivers while driving, lets review!!

1) thumbs up with a smile, nice ride
    2) Peace sign, its all good.
    3) Hang Loose sign, were cool
    4) and then there is the almighty 'BIRD' which can be given for many reasons...
    Hhmmm did I miss anything?
    Well, did the guy think you were flirting with him!!

Off-topic...

ResB - I don't mean to be rude, but do you think you could stop your 'signature' from spinning around? It's making me dizzy and gives me a headache!

Quote:
    John H said:
    Off-topic...

ResB - I don't mean to be rude, but do you think you could stop your 'signature' from spinning around? It's making me dizzy and gives me a headache!

Lol, funny that. It's doing my head in too. i'll do a new sig, just for you. Was getting bored of it anyhow.

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Well, did the guy think you were flirting with him!!

That'll be it, MMD.

The guy just didn't think you were his type!

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    Off-topic...

Lol, funny that. It's doing my head in too. i'll do a new sig, just for you. Was getting bored of it anyhow.

Thanks Res - you're a top man.

I wave at anyone who waves at me. I don't care what kind of car they are driving. I even wave at people who are not driving P-cars. I can't believe people only wave at other drivers based on the type of car they are driving. Seems kind of shallow to me but that is just my view of it.

I went through a phase as a youngster of waving at every car driving towards me.

Probably 80% wave back, assuming you know them. Most fun with couples.

"Who was that ??"
    "I... have no idea"
    "Then why was he waving at you ?
    "I.. just-"
    "WHY DID YOU WAVE AT HIM ?"

Heh.

If they wave back-- terrific, they probably appreciate the fact that you noticed their interesting car.

If they don't wave back, then they are probably clueless about car 'nut' culture... & you've lost nothing!

I'll flash the high beams to any restored American classic or Euro exotic... rare around here, even sight of another 997 is nearly akin to seeing a McLaren or CGT.

People never wave at people driving a Yugo...and it is so rare today...it just isn't fair. Next thing you will be hearing is a lawyer on TV saying "have you been unfairly snubbed by a Porsche driver when you wave at him while driving your Yugo? Call our law firm as you may join our class action law suit against Porsche. I am sure that has ruined your ability earn a gainful living. Fight back against defective product that has ruined your life!" ( PS if we win this suit we will give you one genuine US postage stamp but every lawyer in our law firm will buy a Porsche!!)

I have 3 "rules" for waving:
    1.) I wave at ALL P-cars,
    2.) I wave at most convertibles because I'm driving one, and
    3.) I wave at anyone who waved at me.
    BMWs get the one digit wave. Just kidding.

As a pedestrian I once gave the thumbs up to a passing 997 Carrera, and I got a reply.

I know had I been the driver I would appreciate such a sign of approval.

I wave at Porsche's while driving my Jeep. I once saw a Jeep driving that had a sticker reading "My other car is a Porsche". I proceeded to follow them and wave and then saw it was a very pretty woman. I was flustered and started to say something with little knowledge that her window was up. So all in all, I just looked like a pretty crazy motorist driving a Jeep wishing it could of been a Porsche.

I was also driving my Jeep once and I saw a nice 944 Turbo at a light and pulled up to him while the light was red. I proceeded to say "Nice 951!". He then told me "No, its a 944 Turbo." I promptly looked away in amazement.

I waved (through the rood) at a F360 spider who was following me after spirited driving...and waved back with plenty of enthusiasm...well, F or P car, it is nice to see there are enthusiasts out there...
    ...and I always wave back at pedestrians...usually teenage boys...Gosh how much I dreamt Porsche when I was their age...

All wonderful stuff but here in London, we're all so jaded, cynical and suspicious of everyone else that, if someone waved to us 'for no obvious reason', we'd just think there was something wrong with them! Sad but true...

I haven't gotten my P-car yet but it's good to know your "secrets" in advance! Almost time for me to join the elite "P-wave" club!

For reference, in the past, I've always made it a point to wave to anyone with the same car as me. A slight 2 finger salute.

Whenever I'm on my motorcycle, I always give the "keep the rubber side down" salute.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I haven't gotten my P-car yet but it's good to know your "secrets" in advance! Almost time for me to join the elite "P-wave" club!

For reference, in the past, I've always made it a point to wave to anyone with the same car as me. A slight 2 finger salute.

Whenever I'm on my motorcycle, I always give the "keep the rubber side down" salute.

What is the keep the rubber side down salute?

To keep the tires on the ground, not to crash, not to flip out, etc.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    To keep the tires on the ground, not to crash, not to flip out, etc.

I think the question was intended to mean: "What does the "Keep the rubber side down"-salute look like?

I'm also curious to know the answer to that question.

Oops...sorry. I should have figured that. Basically it looks like an upside down "peace" sign representing the two wheels on a motorcycle.

I bet it wasn't a matter of the guy 'refusing' to wave back you probably just caught him by surprise. I know it's happened to me where someone waves or gives thumbs up and by the time I realize it's too late. And as you said you were in a Bimmer, if you were in the Porsche maybe the guy would have realized why you were waving. You should see what happens on motorcycles. At least 50% of guys on bikes wave to other bikers. I took a bike trip this past Saturday to Bear Mountian and waved back at least 5 times and initiated the wave (lol) at least 3-4. Years ago I use to not wave back to guys on sport bikes but that's kinda dumb. (I was in my "Buy American" phase)......... Wave on!

Quote:
    luke said:
    As a pedestrian I once gave the thumbs up to a passing 997 Carrera, and I got a reply.

I know had I been the driver I would appreciate such a sign of approval.

I was happily toiling down the road when I notice a boy-racer Mazda coming up on me. Traffic was "tight" but moving along at about 65MPH. Traffic in the right lane exited at an off-ramp. I notice in my passenger side mirror that the Mazda was starting to drift to the right, switching into the right lane to over take me. Without downshifting, and I was in 5th gear as I was just crusing along, I pressed a bit more on the accelerator and drifted over along with him. I continued to press down on the accelerator as I watch him keep up, yet start to drop back some. Still without downshifting I notice that the gap is now widening between the two of us. I look down at the speedometer. 98MPH... 99MPH.. 100MPH (first time to break triple digits in my 997). I also mentally note that my exit is now less then 1/4 of a mile away. I begin to brake to get ready to negotiate my exit from the highway. Boy racer is now near me. I drift off the exit ramp, and reduce speed.

I look over to my left and he is smiling from ear to ear and giving me the thumbs up with his right hand. I smile big and give him the thumbs up with my left hand in return. It wasn't a wave, but it was one of the "official" signs noted in another post.

I kept that smile for the rest of the trip to the office.

:-)

I just wanted to share an experience I had last Sunday. I was driving with my girlfriend in my 997S and I see a brand new Boxster up ahead at the lights. I pull up to the left of him to say hi and this guy won't even turn to look at me. He knows that I am there, but he won't even turn to look at me. Funny thing is that I can see his eyes looking over at my car, but his head is facing straight forward

I was in traffic and saw a Corvette zig zagging behind me...All to get to me and my killer diller Porsche 997, funny thing, it was a chick and she thought I WOULD BE A DUDE, SO SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU SWEETIE, then she wouldnt look at me..in her crappy vette!!! LooL

Corvettes just dont intimidate me!!!
    I know Porsches rule!!!

No wave necessary today

My plates say 'Vik Eye', shouldnt that be a hint

Good for you! Perhaps that female Corvette owner will come over the the proper side, and leave her plastic car for Porsche!

Dan

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:
    Corvettes just dont intimidate me!!!
    I know Porsches rule!!!

What a gal!!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752785 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430440 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258453 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255388 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868045 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801639 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM