Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Are Porsche selling many Caymans?

This is not trying to start any controversy.....but I noticed that there are a heap of Cayman and Cayman S's at my Porsche dealership that have now been sitting there for over a month. I'd be interested to hear from others if they have seen the same thing from their dealers.

BTW when I drove the 997S/997 back to back with the Cayman S I really enjoyed the Cayman....but i thought it was a little over priced.

Re: Are Porsche selling many Caymans?

Pricing seems to be the main sticking point for Cayman sales but my prediction is that sales will improve through the winter months and as prospective 997 buyers find out what an enjoyable car the Cayman S is to drive. That and then looking at how long waiting lists are for a new 997 - 997 TT model year '07 is already sold out in Europe and dealers are now taking orders for Model year '08!

I never really thought that the Cayman models would be a success, but I'm probably wrong..

Over here in Germany, the Cayman seems to sell very bad.
    You can get up to 10% and more rebate on a NEW car, something very surprising for a Porsche model over here.
    Most dealers have a couple of Cayman models available for immediate delivery, unfortunately nobody seems to want to buy them.

The Cayman has two "problems" in my opinion, although it is a very nice sportscar and a true Porsche:

1. the Cayman is too expensive compared to the Boxster, at the same price tag (choosing between a Coupe and Roadster for the same money), the chances would have been much better.

2. the Cayman isn't THE Porsche sports model some people love to see in it, the latest SPORT AUTO Supertest proved it very clear.

3. the Cayman didn't succeed as a "poor man's 911" because it doesn't have the heritage of the 911 and with the introduction of the 997 GT3 and Turbo, the Cayman lost even more "attraction" for those who can't afford a 911

Yes, I agree. With 50 horses more and a limited slip differential, the Cayman would be the hell of a car. However, Porsche could achieve the same results with a stripped-down version of a 997 Carrera, so there is no point in doing this.

The fate of the Cayman lies in the future sales figures over the next 12 months. If sales figures don't improve significantly, I doubt that the Cayman will make it into the next decade.

Like it or not, the Cayman never has been accepted by the Porsche "community" as a "true" Porsche. Porsche has chosen the name "Cayman" and made a huge mistake since the Boxster is well "accepted" by the Porsche community and the name Boxster Coupe would have been the better choice in my opinion, or even better: a number combination like 912 for example. In my opinion, Porsche was too greedy with the Cayman, they wanted to sell a Boxster with a fixed roof for more money and added a different name and more horses, which of course are now available in the Boxster too.

Bottom line is: the Cayman isn't the success Porsche seems to have hoped for and the fact that in Germany, the "classic" Porsche market and the second largest market worldwide for Porsche, the Cayman didn't succeed, is a clear indication for the missing acceptance of the Cayman.

Here are some HARD facts:

During FY 05-06 (Aug 05-July 06), Porsche sold (worldwide):
    Cayman : 14,002 units
    Boxster : 13,904 units

2 remarks:
    a) The Cayman S was introduced in November 05 in Europe and in January 06 in North America.
    b) The regular Cayman was launched in July 06 in Europe and in NA.

Bottom line the Cayman has been more or less only 6 month on the market in FY 05-06 and acheived sales equivalent to those of the Boxster.

North America (US + CAN)
    Jan 06: 1,048
    Feb 06: 566
    March 06: 592
    April 06: 699
    May 06: 587
    June 06 : 442
    July 06: 650 (incl 195 Regular Cayman)
    Aug 06: 548 (incl 181 Regular)
    Sept 06: 494 (incl 194 Regular)

Therefore I wouldn't say the Cayman is a slow seller ....

Quote:
    RC said:
    Like it or not, the Cayman never has been accepted by the Porsche "community" as a "true" Porsche. Porsche has chosen the name "Cayman" and made a huge mistake since the Boxster is well "accepted" by the Porsche community and the name Boxster Coupe would have been the better choice in my opinion, or even better: a number combination like 912 for example.

I thought the "Boxster SC" name which was rumoured prior to the introduction of the "Cayman" name was much better.
    Porsche tried to make it a completely new model, in fact to the point of denying all links to the Boxster...
    But a new name and funny price tag does not make for an entire product range to be recognized by such a difficult client base (US!)
    I am curious to see if the will be a "988" version of the Cayman...

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

2 remarks:
    a) The Cayman S was introduced in November 05 in Europe and in January 06 in North America.

Bottom line the Cayman has been more or less only 6 month on the market in FY 05-06 and acheived sales equivalent to those of the Boxster.

North America (US + CAN)

I'm afraid you're wrong. These statistics don't say anything about how many cars actually went to customers.
    Many Porsche dealers in Germany apparently were "forced" to get a couple of Caymans to be able to get a satisfying 997 Turbo, GT3, GT3RS quota. There is even more to it: those dealers who got so many Cayman added a license plate to them to "enhance" sales figures (cars registered to the dealership appear like regular sales in ordinary statistics).

Fact is: you can get a brandnew Cayman S with at least 10% rebate over here in Germany, even better deals. No other Porsche is sold with that much rebate and I'm pretty sure that Porsche doesn't like it at all.

My small dealer had three or four Cayman S available for immediate delivery, this is insane.

I can't speak for the US or other countries but I can tell you how the Cayman S sells in Germany and it sucks.
    Go to ANY german dealer and you'll realize very fast that I'm telling the truth. Not to speak about the reputation of the Cayman amongst "hardcore" Porsche lovers which would rather accept a Cayenne than a Cayman.

As far as North American sales are concerned, these are sales to the final customer not to dealers.

I'm not sure in Germany, Porsche is making some fake registrations ... what is the point .... you shoot yourself in the foot.

When it comes to inventories, it is true to say that they are a touch high ...

North America
    Feb 06: 828
    March 06: 1,009
    April 06: 1,056
    May 06: 952
    June 06: 1,049
    July 06: 1,527
    August 06: 1,541
    Sept 06: 1,593

This being said, Boxster and Cayman do share a lot of components and are very similar cars. It is therefore fair to aggregate Boxster + Cayman sales. By combining the 2, sales are extremely strong.

"Like it or not, the Cayman never has been accepted by the Porsche "community" as a "true" Porsche."

So, now you're the spokesperson for the "true" enthusiast? That is just hilarious. I always love when the old diehards declare a new model unfit for the glorious porsche name. The car, on its own merit is a fantastic automobile. There is not a single publication, that comes at it without an agenda, that has not declared the car to be fantastic. In fact, I do not believe there is a single publication that has found the car to be inferior to any car in its class.

FACT There are people who like coupes, and there are people who prefer cabriolets. Porsche offers a choice. If the buyer decides that they dont want to pay the premium for the coupe, they obviously have the option to buy a cab if it appeals to them. If they insist on a lower priced coupe, by all account, buying a car other than the cayman in its market segment will result in perhaps more "value" for your dollar/euro/peso but will also result in a lesser car dynamically. It really is as simple as that.

Do I wish the cayman was priced lower? Of course. But to beclare that the "true enthusiast" somehow know better, and will not accept the car is just laugh out loud funny. I mean seriously, what a rediculously pompous thing to say. God that is funny. And a little sad.

Michael

By the way, I'm an enthusiast, says so just below my name over there on the left. And I declare the car a "true" porsche. So I usurp your title as "Grand Master of Declarations on Porsche Model Acceptance" and pronounce the car fit for the Porsche Name.

There. That should settle it.

EricAlain,

I believe like anything else when a new model comes out people jump on the wagon right away which also was the case for the U.S..

However looking at just one of the smaller dealers in Houston it clearly shows that Caymans are not moving as well as they thought.

http://houston.porschedealer.com/new_cars/search.php?model=987c

I also tend to agree with RC regarding allocations. The sales manager told me himself few months back that if they wanted to get a single 997S (turbo and GT3 were not out yet)
    They had to take so many Cayennes and Caymans in order to get allocations for the 911.

RC makes some intersting points. I think they are valid and truthful.

The Caymans recent tested 'Ring lap times show it to not be the top uber handler model of the 987 Kingdom that Porsche and the media proclaimed. In that sense - it fails the "true" Porsche test that the Factory and press touted. It is not the 904 of the new millenium as they had implied -it is not a performance leap ahead of a Boxster - it is not more of a sportscar than a Boxster and offers nothing more than more noise and a small dose of relative claustophobia.

Look at any US dealer inventory and you will see many in stock. Early adaptors bought them on good faith - but now
    the Cayman has no sales legs,public cache or buzz. It is
    "just there" and dealers are being forced to buy them to get more popular models in stock.

On its own its a good sports car. But the Cayman compared to a Boxster makes no sense, especially if the Boxster has the optional hardtop. The value and performance are not in the Cayman for the extra money demanded.

If they had priced them like every other Company does Coupe vs. Cab, they would've sold quite a few at 5-10% less money than a Boxster...

To be annoyingly repetitious, what the Cayman needs to set itself apart is an LSD, a bit less weight, and a better suspension. Like many folks, I liked the Cayman I drove but like many others I could find very little different than the Boxster other than the noise and enclosed driving experience, as noted above. Now that the new Boxter S has the 3.4, it's just so much more appealing than the Cayman -- in its classic looks and top down possibilities. A Cayman RS would be another story entirely...

RC makes some interesting points. I think they are arrogant and insulting to Cayman owners.

Who decided the latest SPORT AUTO Supertest was going to be the definitive test for the Cayman? The test is a joke when you consider - "The article mentions, that test circumstances have been a bit worse compared to the Boxster S Supertest".
    However what about all the other tests by all the other magazines that rate the Cayman so highly, we'll ignore those because a "German publication" thinks otherwise. What nonsense.

"Like it or not, the Cayman never has been accepted by the Porsche "community" as a "true" Porsche."

Maybe in your little world.

As Rennteam editor you should be ashamed of yourself making sweeping statements like that.

Quote:
    mlin said:

...to claim the opposite after just over a year of introduction is just wishful thinking...
    Future will tell...

Porsche has a history of cars that were introduced but never made it to any status within the 'community'.
    Some other models made are now part of the cars mythology...

If you as a Cayman owner really wanted a car with heritage and 'acceptance' you would have gone for another model, so I guess this was not important to you anyway...

The Cayman is a great car at the wrong price. It's that simple. If it didn't make sense when it first came out, now that both Boxster and Cayman have the same engine and performance it definitely doesn't now. To justify the price difference it should have had at least 320bhp.

But to say that the Cayman is not a "proper" Porsche is wrong, IMO. It's just not as good as it should be for the money.

I think everyone will agree that "the Cayman is a great car at the wrong price", as Dreamcar said.

Porsche decided to sell the Cayman at a higher price than the Boxster because of the low value of the US dollar. Of course, customers want to hear none of this, so the real-world price of the Cayman (after dealer rebates) is about the same as the corresponding Boxster.

At the end of the day, when the music stops, dealers are left with the baby in their hands. For the time being, Porsche and customers win.
    But in the near future, Porsche might face a dealer revolt (and keep in mind many Porsche dealers also sell other brands), or have to raise the price of the Boxster (which is more likely).

Quote:
    RC said:

The Cayman has two "problems" in my opinion, although it is a very nice sportscar and a true Porsche:

... 3. the Cayman didn't succeed as a "poor man's 911" because it doesn't have the heritage of the 911 ...

... The fate of the Cayman lies in the future sales figures over the next 12 months. If sales figures don't improve significantly, I doubt that the Cayman will make it into the next decade.

Like it or not, the Cayman never has been accepted by the Porsche "community" as a "true" Porsche.

Well you not going to like this disagreement on your opinions ...

I was looking at Crocs and saw maybe 15 in three dealers. Maybe in Germany you can get 10% off but not here. Even so .... so what? At the end of ANY model year for ANY car dealers have left over inventory they need to dump. Take a look at Lotus ... Lotus said no 07 Elises until all 06s sold

First you say "its a true porsche" then you say "Like it or not, its not accepted as a true porsce"... Which is it? Sounds like a contradiction

Poor mans 911? Who wants a poor mans 911? What makes you think everyone wants a 911? Where is this arrogance coming from? We could have bought a new 997S and decided NOT to simply because it wasn't worth the additional money and the croc "felt" more like a true sports car (which is a personal choice) and YES ... we used to own, new at the time, a 911 Carrera. I've read many Croc owners "could" have bought a 997 and simply chose the croc over it.

As to future sales ... If the 998 or whatever its called doesn't come out as mid-engined, IMHO Porsche is making a huge mistake. Time for it to come out of the dark ages trying to make a lead weight on the rear of the car, by using technology, handle like a mid-engined car.

I think Porsche is going to sell where the money is and dont they sell more in the US than anywhere else?

I'm not trying to be contradictory but simply do not agree with your opinion

Quote:
    My small dealer had three or four Cayman S available for immediate delivery, this is insane.

... Not to speak about the reputation of the Cayman amongst "hardcore" Porsche lovers which would rather accept a Cayenne than a Cayman.

This might simply be a matter of perspective but your dealer must be REALLY small. I went to a dealer and talked about the cars in inventory. In this part of the country ... people do NOT want to special order whatever, wait six months, etc. Rather, they just go to the lot and pick out whatever.

The dealer has it down to a science ... they know exactly what colors and options sell and just order the cars for inventory. Its not uncommon to see 20 cars in a lot.

As to the last sentence ... this bit of snobbery, while I have seen it for many year including when I owned a 911 ... well I guess it will never end. But times are moving on and guess what ... few younger people care less what the "hardcore" ppl think.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

The Caymans recent tested 'Ring lap times show it to not be the top uber handler model of the 987 Kingdom that Porsche and the media proclaimed. In that sense - it fails the "true" Porsche test that the Factory and press touted. It is not the 904 of the new millenium as they had implied -it is not a performance leap ahead of a Boxster - it is not more of a sportscar than a Boxster and offers nothing more than more noise and a small dose of relative claustophobia.

Look at any US dealer inventory and you will see many in stock. Early adaptors bought them on good faith - but now
    "just there" and dealers are being forced to buy them to get more popular models in stock.

On its own its a good sports car. But the Cayman compared to a Boxster makes no sense, especially if the Boxster has the optional hardtop. The value and performance are not in the Cayman for the extra money demanded.

Some people just don't get it. That "noise" happens to come from a Porsche engine and that roof over your head is what we call a coupe.

A Boxster with an optional hardtop is not a coupe!

Quote:
    chows4us said:
    Quote:
    RC said:
    If the 998 or whatever its called doesn't come out as mid-engined, IMHO Porsche is making a huge mistake. Time for it to come out of the dark ages trying to make a lead weight on the rear of the car, by using technology, handle like a mid-engined car.

I could not agree more. Regardless of the "community", with the little mods I have my croc is able to match the performance of a carrera S o better, and the fun factor by having the mid engine configuration is fantastic. I do have to admit that I see the 911 as our big brother, someone that I must respect, be polite, kind and gentle, respect its age, but when its time to have some fun, I leave that to the crocscter crowd

Porsche will salvage the Cayman once they bump up the HP and reduce the weight a bit. This can only happen once the 997 mkII is out.

Furthermore, I clearly remember the days when the Boxster was not accepted by the press as a 'true' Porsche. After a bit of time, the Boxster got 'accepted' by the community as a real Porsche. I presume the Cayman is heading towards similar success. Just needs a bit of time.

Quote:
    mlin said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Some people just don't get it. That "noise" happens to come from a Porsche engine and that roof over your head is what we call a coupe.

1. The additional noise is just - more noise. It doesnt sound any better. The exhaust note is the same.

2. The Boxster with a detachable hard top costs less than a Cayman with no convertible option.

3. Porsche hyped the Cayman as the "true" sporting model of the 987 line. Its not.

4. Items 1-3 are all true. Please "get it."

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    Porsche will salvage the Cayman once they bump up the HP and reduce the weight a bit. This can only happen once the 997 mkII is out.

Furthermore, I clearly remember the days when the Boxster was not accepted by the press as a 'true' Porsche. After a bit of time, the Boxster got 'accepted' by the community as a real Porsche. I presume the Cayman is heading towards similar success. Just needs a bit of time.

I agree as intrinisically its a good car. If Porsche can equip it to justify its price above the Boxster then it has a long term chance. And getting some of the weight out of that monstrous hatch would be a good place to start.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

1. The additional noise is just - more noise. It doesnt sound any better. The exhaust note is the same.

2. The Boxster with a detachable hard top costs less than a Cayman with no convertible option.

3. Porsche hyped the Cayman as the "true" sporting model of the 987 line. Its not.

I'm afraid you're still not getting it. Ask some of RC's "hardcore" Porsche friends to explain the difference between a coupe and a convertible to you.
    By the way I'm fully aware that the Boxster is cheaper than the Cayman. So what? Some of us aren't interested in convertibles. And I'd go along with what Porsche say about the 987 line.

Quote:
    EricAlain said:

2 remarks:

North America (US + CAN)

Eric prior to the Cayman introduction what was the highest yearly sales total of Boxster's ?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    EricAlain said:

2 remarks:

North America (US + CAN)

Eric prior to the Cayman introduction what was the highest yearly sales total of Boxster's ?

That is absolutely correct... to compare the numbers of a car sales based on a vehicle that has been around for years is misguided.

Here in Los Angeles/BH/SM area, there are plenty of Caymans to pick up but little to no buyers.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

"A harmonious, polished package, it impresses on a cerebral level as much as an emotional one. Harder and sharper than the Boxster, yet more fluid and flattering than a 911, the Cayman is a subtle and addictively effective amalgam of everything Porsche does best." - EVO.

It seems not everyone would agree with you.

It is fair to say that Boxster+Cayman sales in North America are now more or less at par from what they were in 2002 (calendar) for the Boxster (986) alone ...

Please note that the red line is not collapsing ... it is just because we don't have the October, November and December figures yet ...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777031 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441639 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262749 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260911 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85168 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5547 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880612 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815817 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM