Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Car For The Mrs

I went to the OPC today and ordered a new car for the wife!

She gets a Porsche Boxster S with the following specs:

Meteor Grey
    Sandbeige Interior With Partial Leather
    Cocoa Top

Tiptronic (I know but she doesn't like manual transmission)
    PASM
    Sports Chrono (I will drive it sometimes)
    Wind Deflector
    Xenon's
    Seat Heater
    and a few other things which I can't remember to be honest with you.

February manufacture with April delivery.

By the way, the wife doesn't know about the order yet. If she for some reason doesn't want it we can cancel the purschase - the dealer is confident he can sell it easily anyways.

Anything else you guys recommend? I can still add other options etc. I was considering 19" alloys (carrera S) so it would look like my 997 but I have been told the ride is a bit rough....Any experiences opinions would be appreciated!

Re: New Car For The Mrs

hey Porky Tokyo your wife is lucky !
    meteor with sandbeige leather sounds great

regarding the specs did you think of the bose surround system ? it is really great if you enjoy listenning to music while driving... otherwise I would advise you to go for the 19" wheels, it is not really more unconfortable and they look even better

good luck !

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

Anything else you guys recommend? I can still add other options etc. I was considering 19" alloys (carrera S) so it would look like my 997 but I have been told the ride is a bit rough....Any experiences opinions would be appreciated!

Ride with 19" wheels and PASM is perfectly fine, not at all hard (other than in "sport" setting). Go for sports steering wheel, sound package plus (Bose is wasted in a sports car), autodim mirrors + rain sensing wipers.

Believe me, you want full leather with the beige...

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Believe me, you want full leather with the beige...

Yes, definitely agree with that. Also, the rear section of centre console in exterior colour would make a nice highlight.

Quote:
    matdaytona said:
    hey Porky Tokyo your wife is lucky !
    meteor with sandbeige leather sounds great

regarding the specs did you think of the bose surround system ? it is really great if you enjoy listenning to music while driving... otherwise I would advise you to go for the 19" wheels, it is not really more unconfortable and they look even better

good luck !

Hey! Thanks for the reply. Not convinced about the Bose but will try and drive a 19" wheeled car before the final decision. I was thinking the Sports Design might look good.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

Ride with 19" wheels and PASM is perfectly fine, not at all hard (other than in "sport" setting). Go for sports steering wheel, sound package plus (Bose is wasted in a sports car), autodim mirrors + rain sensing wipers.

Dreamcar, loved your write up on your factory collection, your car looks fantastic!

Sound package plus is standard on the Boxster S in Japan, not sure about the sports steering wheel, my wife is a very petit Japanese - will try and get her opinion without letting her know that she is getting a new car by getting her to sit in my mates 987 - he has the sports steering wheel. Autodim mirrors + rain sensing wipers - a must! Forgot about them! Thanks.

you might also like to consider rear park assist for those tight parking garages.

i would say for the strrets of Tokyo that 19s without PASM would be pretty hard and crashy on the ride, PASM will do a good job of smoothing some of the ruts. You migth be ebtter to consider 18s and use the savings for full leather instead.

Quote:
    percymon said:
    you might also like to consider rear park assist for those tight parking garages.

Seconded. Definitely.

Quote:
    percymon said:

i would say for the strrets of Tokyo that 19s without PASM would be pretty hard and crashy on the ride, PASM will do a good job of smoothing some of the ruts. You migth be ebtter to consider 18s and use the savings for full leather instead.

Might be an idea. The Mrs is an excellent driver and can park my 997 in most machine parking spots - average width in japan is abot 185cm (tread) so you only get a couple of centimetres on either side.

See my car park. We had a 997 C4 Cab for a while as well as the black 997.

Lovely collection, I drive a 987 with 18" wheels which I think are perfect, it is a nice soft drive - although hit the "Dr Jekkyl" button i.e. Sport, and it gets significantly harder and sportier. The point is that you get the best of both worlds, I have a colleague who drove a 987 with the 19" wheels and he mentioned that it was a bit hard. So with the 18" "Dr Jekkyl" combo you get the best of both worlds. With respect to the sound system, I have the sound package plus and it works great for me, the added advantage of not having the BOSE system is that you get to keep the storage space behind you, eventough this is a small space it does come in handy.
    Good luck

18"wheels get you the comfort but 19" look much better, is a big gap between so make the 18" look like 17", beware.
    Meteror Grey with Cocoa Top, are you sure about it? Cocoa is good match for your interior but hard to said with Grey body.

Good advise Rory, I think she will prefer the extra storage space rather than the Bose.

In regards to the wheels, I guess 18's are going to be better for her - besides it will save me a bit of cash : )

In regards to the cocoa, I have seen it on seal grey and atlas and it looks fantastic - I was very sceptical at first but having seen it in the flesh I think it will be great!

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    In regards to the cocoa, I have seen it on seal grey and atlas and it looks fantastic - I was very sceptical at first but having seen it in the flesh I think it will be great!

Perhaps it might be an idea to also go for the Cocoa interior (I know I'm biased)
    Here is a pic of my Seal/Cocoa with the top up to give you an impression (Meteor will be slightly darker compared to Seal)

And another one with my Sealgrey and a friend's Slate Boxey (both Cocoa) with their tops down (Meteor should be inbetween Seal/Slate)

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:

Perhaps it might be an idea to also go for the Cocoa interior (I know I'm biased)
    Here is a pic of my Seal/Cocoa with the top up to give you an impression (Meteor will be slightly darker compared to Seal)

Hey Porsche Jeck
    You car looks great! The cocoa interior is very nice, my wife did say she liked it too BUT to be honest with you we both like the roomy feeling of sandbeige.

In fact, on my daily driver (997) she really wanted me to get sandbeige and I am very glad I did - I was going to get black on black again!

Does anyone have a snap of a meteor Boxster?

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    Does anyone have a snap of a meteor Boxster?

I'll see if I can take some snaps tomorrow but given the current weather here in the UK they might be a bit dull and lifeless to show off the metallic.

If you do a search here there is a thread on one of the 911 forums named "997 TURBO arrived... " that shows the colour very well.

I had mine in Meteor with the Grey roof and IMHO (and everyone I know seems to agree) it is a stunning combination.

Thanks for the reply Paul, let's hope you have a nice sunny weekend for some top down driving! Will check on the 997 Turbo thread!

I'd go with the Bose. I have it in my 997 Cab, and the sound is (relatively) great ... you can hear and appreciate the music, including lows and highs. In my older 986 the music sounded tinny and miserable.

I wouldn't miss the small cubbies in the back.

Actually, I have requested the bose now, its only cheap here anyway and the basic sound system in the 987 ain't too hot.

The only thing is now, the Mrs and I saw a Meteor car the other day and she said she didn't like it at all in the flesh (lucky I can still change the order!!) My mate got his atlas / sand 997 and she didn't like that either - she commented on how much better basalt black is or midnight blue - guess I will end up buying her bb or mb. Only thing is, I have had 2 basalt black cars on the row and just cannot stand having to wash them all the time!!!! Great when they are clean but a PAIN when not!!!

You have left hand drive Porsche in Japan? How does that work out?

dan

Midnight blue is very classy, albeit as bad to look after as black.

What about cobalt - nice colour, rain or shine ??

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    You have left hand drive Porsche in Japan? How does that work out?

dan

Dan, this is one of the strange things about Japan.A lot European or American cars only come to Japan in LHD. In fact, Porsche only sells RHD cars with Tiptronic. Manual RHD cars are special order, no discount and take approximately 12 months for delivery!

The even stranger thing is, Japan - especially Tokyo is completely geared up for LHD! The parking ticket machines, the toll booths etc all have LHD and RHD machines. And unlike other countries, a lof motorway exits and on ramps are on the "wrong side" thus, it can be better to have a LHD. Then there is the actual parking - we use this weird and wonderful machines, my home and office parking is way better for LHD. How stupid is that???? I would rather have RHD and my old 996 was a RHD (had to wait 6 months for it - tiptronic box) but the current 997 is LHD and the wifes car (tip) will be RHD.

Althought I am from the UK and grew up with RHD cars, I personally prefer LHD now. No A pillar to block your view of the road and a few more inches of space in the footwell and your clutch foot has a lot more space to rest - even the footrest is bigger. The other weird thing is I cannot reverse so well in RHD cars now!!!! Strange I know.

If ever I go back to the UK (one day soon hopefully) I will keep a LHD car for definite! Perfect for going into Europe!

By the way Dan, she wants your car! When you were in Germany and posted those lovely shots in rennlist we say it and she loves the colour and has been raving about it, no offense mate, but I haven't the b**ls to drive around in such a bright colour although it does look fantastic in the shots.

Quote:
    percymon said:
    Midnight blue is very classy, albeit as bad to look after as black.

What about cobalt - nice colour, rain or shine ??

Cobalt is a nice colour - my mate has one and I never tire of it....Could be an option. I think I might as well tell her I am getting a car for her and let her decide! I will loose the surprise factor though....what to do!!!!

Quote:
    Porky Tokyo said:
    The even stranger thing is, Japan - especially Tokyo is completely geared up for LHD!

Strange indeed - I actually never observed this during my frequent trips to Tokyo and Osaka (but then, I never drove a car myself in Japan). Maybe it's just another element of the generally user friendly attitude in Japan. It's always impressive to see how courteous the Japanese drivers are: I never will forget a scene where I (as a pedestrian) have been waiting with a colleague at the median strip of one of the major roads in downton Tokyo. An ambulance car with flashing lights and sirene approached and stopped the car to let us cross the road.
    As for the colour question: I understand it's hard to keep up the surprise factor and ensure to please the Mrs. with the "right" choice of colour at the same time
    I have the impression that the Japanese are extremely conservative with their choices of cars' colours. Tokyo seems to be a sea of silver and white cars. So it maybe nice to have something more colourful. But then I don't know whether your neighbours might be "disturbed" by a "longnose" with a (what they'd judge as) flashy coloured car

Porsche-Jeck

Japan is pretty good to drive in compared to other Asian countries I guess.

Flashy colours are not too popular here, white, silver or black are the main - kind of boring I guess but I live in Omotesando - its the Rodeo Drive of Tokyo, Aston's, Lambo's, Ferrari's (612, Enzo's, F50 and a F40) are all parked with walking distance from home. Porsches - a dime a dozen - they are every where - I counted 15 porsches in a 3 km drive once.

I second that motion go with 18"s

Handling isn't any better with the 19"s - Walter Rohl prefers the 18"s - so if that isn't a point, then I don't know what is. 18" inch rims will give your rims better protection against pot holes too.

Re: I second that motion go with 18"s

I had a chat with the Mrs without letting her know that I am ordering her a car and it turns out the order has to completely change!!!

Midnight Blue
    Sand Beige Leather
    Blue Top
    Sports Design Alloys
    and the other options remain - she definitely hates the sports chrono!

This was after a meteor car was parked behind mine - it looked to bland to her.... no offence to anyone. My mate bought an atlas and it looked too brown - girls can be very very specific can't they! Oh well, Midnight / beige is a time old classic.

Blue / Blue / Beige ... I'm on my second in that combination!

Quote:
    Scotty A said:
    Blue / Blue / Beige ... I'm on my second in that combination!

Cool - how about a few snaps!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777031 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441639 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262749 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260911 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85168 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5547 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880612 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815817 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM