Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AUDI R8 U.S. Pricing

Quote:
    EricAlain said:
    I suspect the bulk of sales will be in Europe and just a few will go to the US because brand image is still rather poor over there.

This is no longer true and hasn't been true since the mid-90s. Audi is now viewed very favorably here in the US. My dad just picked up an S4 cab and he loves it. 20 years ago he owned (I think it was) a Quattro, which was a total piece of junk that he got rid of within a year.

For $130K I will have a discounted C4S and an Audi TT for the wife.

In the US, Audis are still selling at a significant discount to their MBs and BMWs counterparts ....

I owned 2 A6 and I loved them ....

By the way, in the US, Audi is now just back to the level they were prior to their PR disaster ... it says it all !!!

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Quote:
    EricAlain said:
    I suspect the bulk of sales will be in Europe and just a few will go to the US because brand image is still rather poor over there.

This is no longer true and hasn't been true since the mid-90s. Audi is now viewed very favorably here in the US. My dad just picked up an S4 cab and he loves it. 20 years ago he owned (I think it was) a Quattro, which was a total piece of junk that he got rid of within a year.

The new Audis are quality through and through, but I still think that the US market doesn't view them as favorably as MB or BMW (although Audis are arguably better cars than their counterparts). The US is such a big and self-absorbed country, that things take time to change, I guess.

Audi have taken quite an upturn in their reputation. This is possible thanks to MB merger with Chrysler which resulted in MB reliability taking a nosedive. Many of my friends had MB most of thier lives have sworn off the model because the last couple they owned spent so much time in the shop. BMW hurt thier reputation with the first X5, they took back so many of these. The X5's rep was not the worst as the 740 took this spot over. I-drive right on to the back of the wrecker and into the shop. Audi has been steady improving and also winning in races = new image for many in the US.

Quality yes, but that's not the point.

Midrange luxury quality is a given for Audi. It can be seen in their success with S4, A6, A8, A8L. However, R8 is pushing into a different stratosphere, one that will compete with 911 Turbo, upcomming Ferrari Dino, SL55, AMV8.

I think Audi is on the short end of this stick in terms of brand recognition...

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Quality yes, but that's not the point.

Midrange luxury quality is a given for Audi. It can be seen in their success with S4, A6, A8, A8L. However, R8 is pushing into a different stratosphere, one that will compete with 911 Turbo, upcomming Ferrari Dino, SL55, AMV8.

I think Audi is on the short end of this stick in terms of brand recognition...

Like many have said, it may be an attempt to raise the brand image to near-Porsche level. I don't think any sane board of executives would approve this for any other reason.

Quote:
    elysium said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Valid point. Their economies of scale will definitely change their pricing as well as the percieved exclusivity it garners. Perhaps its a technique for increasing their brand images for their other cars...

Regardless, at this bracket, it will not do well in the US, I'm with VKSF on this one...

It would be strange if the R8 was not meant as a brand builder for their bread and butter business. I see it as a way for Audi to generate some more publicity from their successfull R8 and R10 racecar program, as people generally tend to pay for that kind of emotional connection to their own cars. And that is also why I really understand the Exclusivity program with the R8 just for spesial dealers, and also why I think they will be trying to sell a significacnt amount of cars to the US. It has to be seen to have an influence on the brand.

And Pounds75000 will usually mean something like 90-100k in the USA for most cars (Porsches..), so the 130 USD figure sounds a bit to high. Though that's my (limited) logic at work, Audi might of course have figured it out differently

I called this one 100%.

So basically the car is a show piece for their brand rather than something we will get to drive or own in the real world. Again, very typical of Euro car manufacturers. Build 1 or 2 good sports cars at some unreasonable price that only 2% of the population can afford, and stick the rest of us with a bunch of underperforming, obese, luxury laden, ugly, dime a dozen 4 door "sport" sedans that we are suppose to be proud off simply becuase the manufacturer makes a couple exotic cars (deep breath). I don't want to bond with a car simply because the manufacturer happens to make a $150 super car somewhere in their line up, and maybe I get the shifter or guage cluster (oooh).

Just another disapointment to add the already overly crowded super car market. This car might as well go for $500 for what it's worth. I just don't see how ANYONE can be impressed by a car that costs $130k or more. Of COURSE anyone can build a great car for that price. As far as I am concerned, AUDI has not accomplished any great engineering feat of any kind with this car. ANY manufacturer in the world could have built this car as good or BETTER for the same price.

I would imagine that someone who can afford a $130k car could probably afford most any car up to $200. I know if I was buying a car in the $100-$200k mark, this one would be SO LAST place on my list. For $130, I'd throw in a few more and get a Ford GT and be in a class 10 times higher than this overprice leather seat.

I think the R8 is a grat looking car but extremely overpriced. I realy can't see a market for this car....who will buy an Audi instead of a Porsche Turbo or Ferrari.....?

Also in Sweden at least....Audi has a poor quality reputation and the dealerships are catastrophic........In november 2005 I went to an Audi dealer with the intent to order the new RS4....at first no one had the time to talk to me but after waiting for 30 minutes I got hold of a salesperson....it was obvious that I was disturbing him but I still asked him to give me written offer for a RS4....he promised to do so.....after a few weeks I still had heard nothing so I called them....again new promises.....now it is October 2006....a year has gone and I still haven't got any offer from the Audi dealer....and this is not an isolated event with the custom care from Audi dealers in Sweden...

Now, will this kind of behaviour attract customers willing to pay $ 130.000 for a car?

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    I think the R8 is a grat looking car but extremely overpriced. I realy can't see a market for this car....who will buy an Audi instead of a Porsche Turbo or Ferrari.....?

Also in Sweden at least....Audi has a poor quality reputation and the dealerships are catastrophic........In november 2005 I went to an Audi dealer with the intent to order the new RS4....at first no one had the time to talk to me but after waiting for 30 minutes I got hold of a salesperson....it was obvious that I was disturbing him but I still asked him to give me written offer for a RS4....he promised to do so.....after a few weeks I still had heard nothing so I called them....again new promises.....now it is October 2006....a year has gone and I still haven't got any offer from the Audi dealer....and this is not an isolated event with the custom care from Audi dealers in Sweden...

Now, will this kind of behaviour attract customers willing to pay $ 130.000 for a car?

This is something you should take up with Audi AG directly, by sending them a letter, titled "Why I will not buy an RS4". The dealers here are extremely courteous and treat customers extremely fairly, whether it's an A3 or an A8. Not the company's fault. Regarding reliability, I doubt they break down any more than the other brands (never had a bad experience with an Audi).

I stopped at a nearby Audi dealership just to let them know that I was interested in the car. The salesman did not know much beyond what is readily available on the Internet. The consensus seems to be that price for standard transmission will be mid to high 90s. I'd assume it will be relatively easy to option it up by at least 10K with carbon fiber, upgraded stereo, wheels, LED lights, etc. At around 110K, I don't regret the 120K I recently shelled out for a heavily optioned V8 Vantage. I still want to see the R8 in the flesh, but it will have to really wow me in order to seriously consider purchasing one at this price point. I think a base price in the low 80s would be more reasonable for this car.

Quote:
    Friscorays said:
    I stopped at a nearby Audi dealership just to let them know that I was interested in the car. The salesman did not know much beyond what is readily available on the Internet. The consensus seems to be that price for standard transmission will be mid to high 90s. I'd assume it will be relatively easy to option it up by at least 10K with carbon fiber, upgraded stereo, wheels, LED lights, etc. At around 110K, I don't regret the 120K I recently shelled out for a heavily optioned V8 Vantage. I still want to see the R8 in the flesh, but it will have to really wow me in order to seriously consider purchasing one at this price point. I think a base price in the low 80s would be more reasonable for this car.

With better performance than a C4S w/ X51, I don't see it as priced too high at 110k, with all the optional equipment.

well with such pricing policy they will really need luck to sell their cars, thats simply sick...

Quote:
    Crash said:
    With better performance than a C4S w/ X51, I don't see it as priced too high at 110k, with all the optional equipment.

That's not logic I agree with. If a Z06 performs better than a Ferrari F599, should it cost $300k?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

That's not logic I agree with. If a Z06 performs better than a Ferrari F599, should it cost $300k?

Audi has much better image than Chevy, that's the difference and with Porsche churning out new SUVs and sedans all the time, their image will soon be equal . Also, try speccing out a C4S X51 w/ full options. I suspect it would be priced higher than the R8.

I wouldnt get too excited about the R8. It probably handles like a softened up Gallardo and sounds like a Hoover with a silencer.

I dont think that Audi intended to make the R8 sharper handling than a 997, but I do think they intended to make it more profitable.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    I wouldnt get too excited about the R8. It probably handles like a softened up Gallardo and sounds like a Hoover with a silencer.

I dont think that Audi intended to make the R8 sharper handling than a 997, but I do think they intended to make it more profitable.

Doubt it. I think it will handle excellently, with a great engine sound. Also, performance might only be inferior to the Gallardo on paper.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    well with such pricing policy they will really need luck to sell their cars, thats simply sick...

I sometimes wonder if this is not done on purpose. Maybe they don't want to actually sell as many R8 as they could build, but just to make a point that an Audi is worth more than a Mercedes-Benz or a BMW.

As you are certainly aware after reading posts from our US members, the reputation of Audi in the US is far from what it is in Europe (I don't know about the Middle East). Setting a very high price point might go a long way towards giving the brand the respect it deserves.

That, and getting the tens of billions those lying CBS b******* owe them.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778105 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442042 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262948 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261200 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85464 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5701 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880866 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    816466 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM