Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The Cayman and the others....

Looking these days in various magazines like EVO, Top Gear, 911&PW.... so on ..... everyone thinks about the price of the base Cayman that the car it is too expensive. Nobody argues about the handling, chassis, steering so on. I didn't drove yet the car so I have no idea how it goes. The main problem for all of them is the power. Almost every driver thinks that the car has to be really worked hard to obtain something that feels "fast" from it, and even in those circumstances the car feels... well not fast, or better, not fast for the price of 47.647,00 Euro. One of them even says that the Focus ST feels faster than the Cayman. Looking at the price of the car and comparing it with other cars like the BMW Z4 Coupe that has 20 hp more, but feels a lot faster and cheaper, and the Nissan 350Z that has a lot more power, even the Mazda RX8 can be a threat... what do you think about it? Has Porsche lost the edge with this car? Why the entry level of a coupe in the Porsche range has to feel so underpowered? Also the Boxster S is just 53.099,00 Euro that being less than 6000 euro the difference..... and has the 295 hp engine.... I mean yes many times you hear that Porsche it is not looking to the numbers but the experience of driving. But for a marque that in its blood should be also the fast thing isn't it a little bit embarrassing or so unporsche to say that the car is underpowered? I mean is it more important to buy Porsche and be slow or buy something less noble and be fast?

Re: The Cayman and the others....

A company that won't listen to its customers won't last long.

Welcome to the 21st century. Diversify, expand, attract new customers.

Cayman will satisfy a certain buyer. He wont want a Boxster, because he'll want a coupe. He's not comfortable or unable to spend the extra cash for a Cayman S or a 911. He wants a Porsche. Cayman suddenly makes sense.

Or maybe word will spread and people will boycott the underpowered overpriced Cayman and Porsche will be forced to modify their product line to give the Cayman more power and price it lower than the convertible. The consumer does have the final say here.

Quote:
    mlin said:

Cayman will satisfy a certain buyer. He wont want a Boxster, because he'll want a coupe. He's not comfortable or unable to spend the extra cash for a Cayman S or a 911. He wants a Porsche. Cayman suddenly makes sense.

pretty close! thats roughly why i got a Cayman S. + the 911 has been around for a while and you see so many around, while the Cayman is pretty new.

Quote:
    mlin said:

I couldn't have said it any better

He's talking about why to buy a base non-S Cayman instead of a Cayman S (or a 911), which obviously doesn't apply different from to guys who bought a Cayman S.

Quote:
    mlin said:

Yes exactly. If the base Cayman existed 6 years ago I would've bought it instead of my base Boxster. It's funny to me these "experts" second guessing Porsche's marketing and development strategy and proclaiming Porsche is headed for trouble. Fact is, Porsche spends millions researching and developing cars and the cars we see now and what we'll see in the next 10 years is no accident but the result of careful research and thought. Porsche has people making these decisions such as the different models that are smarter and have more insight and foresight than any of us. People forget Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world. Gee, I wonder why.

David

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    He's talking about why to buy a base non-S Cayman instead of a Cayman S (or a 911), which obviously doesn't apply different from to guys who bought a Cayman S.

Same principle applies for Cayman S. 911 was only option for entry into the Porsche brand coupes. With the Cayman S launch there is a lower cost coupe option. And bonus, its a winner.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:

Yes exactly. If the base Cayman existed 6 years ago I would've bought it instead of my base Boxster. It's funny to me these "experts" second guessing Porsche's marketing and development strategy and proclaiming Porsche is headed for trouble. Fact is, Porsche spends millions researching and developing cars and the cars we see now and what we'll see in the next 10 years is no accident but the result of careful research and thought. Porsche has people making these decisions such as the different models that are smarter and have more insight and foresight than any of us. People forget Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world. Gee, I wonder why.

David

Well, let's never forget they went almost belly up in the 1990s...the boxster saved Porsche...

Quote:
    wushuhsu said:
    Or maybe word will spread and people will boycott the underpowered overpriced Cayman and Porsche will be forced to modify their product line to give the Cayman more power and price it lower than the convertible. The consumer does have the final say here.

What he said

Quote:
    polo said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:

Anyone in their right mind would get the Boxster and save 5K...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    polo said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:

Anyone in their right mind would get the Boxster and save 5K...

SciFrog, some people think a car should have a roof, others obviously prefer convertibles. It is an aesthetic choice. I personally don't like open top motoring, so, if I'm shopping for a Cayman and you offer me a Boxter for 5K less, I'm not interested. I wouldn't buy (if I was in my right mind) a car I inherently don't like to save 5K.

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Looking these days in various magazines like EVO, Top Gear, 911&PW.... so on ..... everyone thinks about the price of the base Cayman that the car it is too expensive. Nobody argues about the handling, chassis, steering so on. I didn't drove yet the car so I have no idea how it goes. The main problem for all of them is the power. Almost every driver thinks that the car has to be really worked hard to obtain something that feels "fast" from it, and even in those circumstances the car feels... well not fast, or better, not fast for the price of 47.647,00 Euro. One of them even says that the Focus ST feels faster than the Cayman. Looking at the price of the car and comparing it with other cars like the BMW Z4 Coupe that has 20 hp more, but feels a lot faster and cheaper, and the Nissan 350Z that has a lot more power, even the Mazda RX8 can be a threat... what do you think about it? Has Porsche lost the edge with this car? Why the entry level of a coupe in the Porsche range has to feel so underpowered? Also the Boxster S is just 53.099,00 Euro that being less than 6000 euro the difference..... and has the 295 hp engine.... I mean yes many times you hear that Porsche it is not looking to the numbers but the experience of driving. But for a marque that in its blood should be also the fast thing isn't it a little bit embarrassing or so unporsche to say that the car is underpowered? I mean is it more important to buy Porsche and be slow or buy something less noble and be fast?

girls, thats another market. Hope I dont get wacked by HP loving girls on this forum, but a fair amount of ladies want a porsche without all the vroom vroom..the base Cayman suddenly makes sense.

Quote:
    need_cayman said:

girls, thats another market. Hope I dont get wacked by HP loving girls on this forum, but a fair amount of ladies want a porsche without all the vroom vroom..the base Cayman suddenly makes sense.

Guess you already read the latest Christophorus issue with an article written by a girl praising the Cayman as the ultimate shopping vehicle

Actually I have not yet read it.
    I guess I was right huh. Haha

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    an article written by a girl praising the Cayman as the ultimate shopping vehicle

IMHO, still a better confession than saying that a [insert SUV name] is the ultimate shopping vehicle...At least the girl has taste

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755083 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431512 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258858 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255864 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79857 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868889 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802883 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM