Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Looking for 997s feedback

Before I put this on order I wanted to get some feedback from the experts known as Rennteam posters

2007 Carrera S Coupe
    A1 - Black
    P77 - Black Sport Seats
    M6A - Black matts
    403 - 19" Carrera S Wheels - w/ wheel cap color crest
    OR
    404 - 19" Turbo Wheels (I can't make up my mind on the wheels!)
    XAA - Aerokit
    XCZ - Sportshifter
    640 - Sport Chrono package plus
    672 - Extended Nav Module
    680 - Bose high end sound package

Really want some feedback on this:

Do I go with XLF - Sport exhaust system or do I go with the AWE tunning 997s exhaust system (headers, HF cats, mufflers)
    If anyone has the setup and has some feedback that would be great!

Last but not least anyone out there have a black 997s with an aerokit they would want to post pictures of?

Thanks in advance -

Re: Looking for 997s feedback

Don't forget dimming mirrors

Also, if you decide to go with XLF, you better do the mod to keep PSE switched on permanently

Can't figure out why I'd want the extended Nav. I love the Bose. I love the Turbo wheels, which I didn't get, but the Carrera wheels have grown on me.

Well-known adage: "Black isn't a color Black is a job."

Get heated seats: chicks looooove them.

Aero Kit looks goofy if you're over 30 and not driving in LA.

Go with PSE so the fake quad exhaust tips will NOT be fake. At least there'll be a "reason" to have four pipes back there other than for show.

Forget wheel aesthetics, thery're all nice looking, GET the ones that are EASIEST to clean. A couple years from now you'll wake up to "WTF did I get the wheels that are hardest to clean?"

Sport shifter for 997S seems unnecessary since stock shifter on the S has been labelled "perfection" by more than a few mag reviews. (The 996 shifter sucked and therefore lots of guys went for the sport shifter).

all of the above: IMHO. (IOW, we're just talking, no big deal... .)

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Well-known adage: "Black isn't a color Black is a job."

True...but it looks so damn good when it's clean!

forget the turbo wheels, and add the X51 power kit... expensive, but worth it... even if you'll have to drop some other options such as the Area Kit...

Congrats, you're going to love your 997S and especially the anticipation of waiting for it.

I agree with above. You're in Boston, you'll love the heated seats.
    Consider TPMS, remember there is no spare. Its told me about a slow leak from a nail that I did not notice in the ride feel.
    And the dimming mirrors are a must, imho.

Here's my config... I wish I had put in the dimming mirrors:

2006 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
    Midnight Blue Metallic
    Cabriolet roof in Metropol Blue
    Sand Beige Standard Leather
    19″ Carrera S wheel
    Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
    Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
    Heated Seats
    Power Seat Package
    Three-Spoke Multi-function Steering Wheel
    Navigation Module for PCM
    BOSE High End Sound Package

Updated -

2007 Carrera S Coupe
    A1 - Black
    P77 - Black Sport Seats
    M6A - Black matts
    OR
    404 - 19" Turbo Wheels (I can't make up my mind on the wheels!)
    XAA - Aerokit
    XCZ - Sportshifter
    672 - Extended Nav Module
    267 - Self dimming mirrors
    342 - Heated seats

I'd think about the sport shifter here in Boston. I'm getting ready to spec my 997 and, although I'd like to have it, I'm going to pass.

Driving my 996 from April thru November up here means that I start out on some pretty cold mornings (like today). From what I hear, the sportshifter will be very, very difficult until it warms up.

btw, I'm going for black over cocoa and the Turbo wheels.

IMHO, sport chrono is a must have. On black, I think the coloured crest on the wheels looks sharp. Porsche crest on the seats is a nice touch and not too expensive. Heated seats is nice to have as well. Wheel options are individual preference. I like the lobster forks or classics. PSE is great, and Bose is necessary if you like to listen to music but don't want to tear up the car to go aftermarket. Overall, Bose is not that good, but better than nothing. I'm not a big fan of the aerokit but again, personal preference.

Add the auto-dimming mirrors. They make a very big difference if you do any night driving on the freeway.

The Sports Chrono, in my opinion, is useless most of the time. But I would purchase it again. Turning it on changes the car and gives it a completely different personality. For the few times that I use it, I must say I am glad I have it.

The Sports seats are good, but the adaptive sports seats are excellent. Living in Boston, it would be a good idea to make them heated as well. On cold mornings it makes life that much more enjoyable.

The standard shifter is very good, except when it is cold. It takes a bit of time before the shifter warms up and shifts perfectly. On a cold morning the sports shifter maybe a pain to shift into first gear.

I do not have the PSE yet. If it had been available I would have ordered it. It sounds great.

Personally I would skip the Aerokit. It would be better to invest in full leather. The full leather interior is a joy each and every day. I can see it, smell it and touch it. The aerokit is a personal taste issue.

The Navigation system is a toss up. My dealer recommended that I do not take it and use a portable system instead. The unit I purchased is a Garmin C330 and I love it. I think it works better than the Porsche unit, has better coverage, more points of interest and is a lot cheaper.

Good luck on your purchase. You will love the car.

Quote:
    Hocus said:
    Before I put this on order I wanted to get some feedback from the experts known as Rennteam posters

Really want some feedback on this:

2007 Carrera S Coupe
    A1 - Black
    P77 - Black Sport Seats
    M6A - Black matts
    OR LOOK AT CARRERA SPORTS AS WELL
    404 - 19" Turbo Wheels (I can't make up my mind on the wheels!) TRYING TOO HARD
    XAA - Aerokit BOY RACER - NEEDS NEON RUNNING LIGHTS AND A FART CAN
    XCZ - Sportshifter YES, BUT TRY BEFORE YOU BUY
    640 - Sport Chrono package plus DEBATABLE VALUE - IT'S MOSTLY PLACEBO
    672 - Extended Nav Module - RAND MCNALLY...
    680 - Bose high end sound package - NOT BAD...

ADD HEATED SEATS
    ADD SELF DIMMING MIRRORS
    CONSIDER SPORTS ADAPTIVES

Personally I would favor XRR Carrera Sport wheels over S wheels or Turbo wheels. If I had to select between S wheels or Turbo wheels, I would go with the S wheels + 5mm spacer option.

I agree with Le Chef about skipping the AeroKit. For the combined cost of AeroKit ($6990) plus Sport Exhaust ($2400), you are only $7K shy of getting the complete X51 option.

Maybe you've seen these already on the web-- both cars a little too bling-bling for my taste personally in a 997, but definitely unique combo's:

LINK-C4S Coupe: Basalt black metallic w/Aero Kit & w/XRR Carrera Sport wheels painted in exterior color-

LINK-C2S Coupe: Slate grey metallic w/Aero Kit & w/19" Turbo wheels-

Hocus,
    Porsche Nav isn't very good. There's not much map data. I have the Nav. If I had to spend that money again I would put towards PCCB. Consider this. Aerokit and Nav can be installed at the dealer for about the same price as factory install. PCCB are almost three times more expensive as a retrofit. Once the car leaves the assembly line you won't be able to get PCCB for 8K again. Same goes for Porsche wheels. Get the Turbo wheels from the assembly line. I have the S wheel. I looked into the XRR's from the dealer, insanely expensive. Carrera S wheels are a dime a dozen on e-bay. Get the turbo wheels and sell them if you change your mind. You can always pick up a pair of used Carrera S wheels cheap. You'll probably even make some money on the Turbo wheel sale.

Hocus,
    One more thing. I have adaptive seats. I went to PDE and drove the sport seats. They are just as good. Unless you have some unusual back requirement and need the extra adjustments in the adaptive seats, I'd spend that money elsewhere. I think you can get heated sport seats.

Nav system isn't part of Porsche's promise of total dedication to "Excellence." I figure I should just blow $2000 for something that isn't really great, isn't easy to use, doesn't look very good in the car. BUT if you pass on it you wind up with even more USELESS excessive button-age. Might as well get it for the gadget amusemenmt factor.

2007 Carrera S Coupe
    A1 - Black - I know its a tough color to keep up but don't want to pay 3k for the GT silver - considering the Basalt Black as another option.
    P77 - Black Sport Seats
    M6A - Black matts
    OR
    404 - 19" Turbo Wheels - agree its pushing it but not warming up to the others so far.
    XCZ - Sportshifter - -will make sure to test before ordering good feedback Theoldman .
    670 - Nav Module - changed to basic played with one on Sunday and agree not even close to the BMW Nav system I'm using .

Added

267 - Self dimming mirrors
    342 - Heated seats
    431 - 3 spoke steering wheel w/ multi function

Really want some feedback on this: PSE might be the way to go based on inital feedback

Do I go with XLF - Sport exhaust system or do I go with the AWE tunning 997s exhaust system (headers, HF cats, mufflers)
    If anyone has the setup and has some feedback that would be great!

Deleted -

XAA - Aerokit - the more i see pictures the more i agree with you MMD

Some great feedback from everyone - thanks a ton and feel free to feedback on the revised setup!

Big advice... having done this the hard way...

Go for the powerkit as a factory install, because it works out almost half the cost of a retro fit. IMO the standard car is lacking in torque, and this looks like fixing it (although I won't know till later in the week when I get my car back). The powerkit includes the PSE.

Also go for the TPM because to retro fit it means changing the fuckin wheels.

The sports seats are good, but with hindsight I'd have gone for the adaptive sports seats because the provide more lateral support.

I'm an audiofile, I actually own a sound system worth Pounds150K believe it or not. But I wouldn't bother with the BOSE sound package it's not worth the extra. The standard system is decent, and once the cars moving road noise, wind noise, engine noise, and exhaust noise are all detracting from your listening experience. Same reason I don't mind MP3 players in a car. If the car was a convertable then my advice would be different, but only cause you could use the extra power.

I have basalt black paint. Try and check out a black car sitting next to a basalt black car. The basalt balck really helps to bring out the conours of the bodywork much better. You lose a lot with standard black. But if I had the choice again I'd go for yellow LMAO! Black is waaay too hard to keep clean.

The standard gearchange is really good, and not a particularily long throw. Not sure the sportshifter could improve on it.

The nav module is missing a few tricks, but at least it's very accurate compared with most others I've tried. Postcode entry would be nice though...

Usually I try to keep my big mouth shut when it comes to aero kit discussions, as it IS just a taste issue... But since you are tip-toe-ing the fence a bit, and since it does represent a pile of cash that could be diverted toward other potentially more desirable options, I'll go ahead and toss my opinion into the ring...

I like the front end treatment in the aero package. I like the side alright too..... Unfortunately, the only way you can get it, is with that goofball wing slapped on the rear....

It's kinda like landing a date with a to-die-for 21 year old blonde, only to find out she'll only go if her snotty, obnoxious and bratty little 10 year old brother can tag along too.

I find the basic shape of the 997, especially in "S" form with the hot wheel-tire combo filling-out the wheel arches so athletically, to be enormously visceral and pure. In some respect, I view the aero kit kinda like taking a highly trained and fit athlete, and dressing him/her in a professional wrestling outfit, complete with a cape. Considering the price-tag, it seems like you're paying alot of money to cheapen the appearance of the car.

Likewise, I've seen a couple 997TT's roaming around our relatively small town of Ocala, and while I admire their performance, and I'm jealous that I don't have the horsepower under-bonnet, looks-wise I don't know if I could take the hokey-factor, it distracts from the beauty of the 997 shape that I've always admired since my youth. You've got to give a little to gain a little, I know those turbos need to breath. I understand the function aspect. But there's a point that I don't understand lopping off my nose despite my face.

Well regarding the aerokit..., it's time to drag out and post this picture shown below.

Again, it's about your age, who you hang with in your local car culture etc.

For example, if I showed up with an aerokit on mine I'd lose respect at the office.

If my son drove the car with an aerokit he might get a few more dates with it.

sorry..., just talking, no big deal.

Bothers me that Porsche supposed to mean "excellence" and "form follows function" and yet they sell all these ways to decorate and embellish their product.

If you plan to sell the car in 4-6 years consider who will be buying these used. It will be the middle aged man who certainly doesn't need any of the 'hey look at me" options like the aero kit.

After spending a very long time monitoring and asking opinions on the Rennlist and Rennteam this is how I ordered my car:

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
    98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (3AS Blue Turquoise)(Türkis-Blau)
    06 Natural Leather Brown
    V9 Black Top
    CDZ Gear Lever Trim Leather
    CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
    CUV Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo
    CZD Interior Light Cover Leather
    M6H Brown Floor Mats
    P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
    XCZ Sport Shifter
    XLF Sport Exhaust System
    XMP Lthr Sun Visors Lighted Mirror
    XMZ Rear Center Console - Leather
    XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheel
    XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
    XTV Door Finishers Lthr
    267 Self Dimming Mirrors
    342 Heated Front Seats
    446 Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
    450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
    451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
    482 TPMS
    498 Delete Model Designation
    509 Fire Extinguisher
    550 Hard Top
    640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
    672 Extended Nav Module
    680 Bose High End Sound Package
    692 Remote CD Changer
    801 Makassar Package
    TD5 Tourist Delivery

When you get up into that sort of money you have to consider the comfort mods more. I highly recommend the PCCB brakes. Little dust comes off them compared to the others. This impacts your ability to keep the wheels clean. Also, by reducing unsprung weight, makes the handling that much more precise.

The X51 option is quite expensive, and if I had another $20K sitting around might have considered it. I would say down the road that option will keep an extra $10K on the used value of the car,--and certainly will be a tie breaker for those in the know.

Good luck with your ordering efforts. I changed my order at least 4 times and can't think of anything I missed out on.

Dan

MMD classic picture had me laughing out loud in the office - not a good thing

Quote:
    Hocus said:
    MMD classic picture had me laughing out loud in the office - not a good thing

I'm chuckling now too. Damn..., I wish I saw and bought that toy when it was on the retail shelves back in the 80s.

I have owned my 997S for about three months (black/black) and it has the following spec: Sport Crono, Power Seat package, Heated seats, Basic Nav, Colored Crest, Self-dimming mirrors, BOSE, and Sport Wheels.

I love the black when it is clean but it requires constant care and attention to keep it that way. If you want your car to look perfect or near perfect most of the time, you have to be prepared to spend a lot of time cleaning it. I know I am stating the obvious but it is something you have to come to terms with before you go with black. Bassalt Black, does seem to appear shinier since it is metalic but I personally prefer basic black.

MMD: I loved your comment: "Black isn't a color Black is a job." Soooo true!!!

I am personally very happy with the car's power but this is my first 911 so the powerkit did not really interest me, especially considering the price tag. If this had been my second 911 then maybe the powerkit might have been more attractive so it would have more power than it's predecessor. I am considering adding PSE or another exhaust system in the future but I am in the process of researching it. I think the car sounds OK stock though.

I like the NAV system. I also own a Garmin hand-held unit but I really like having an installed unit. It great to be able to enter an address and to drive right to it. Plus if you don't have it, there are even more buttons on the PCM that will have not a function (like the phone buttons).

The BOSE was a must for me--also the self dimming mirrors. I like having the power and added speakers and it will be good for resale.

The power memory seats are great too--especially if it will be driven by more than one person. I got the heated seats too but have not had the opportunity to use them yet.

I would definately consider the Sport Wheels. They look great with black. IMO

OK, what would I have done differently. I might have special ordered an '07 Artic Silver instead of buying this black one off of the lot (at a substantial discount). But color is a personal choice. Some people would only consider black as the only option. At the moment, I don't mind keeping it clean but it might get old after a few years. I would also have gone with the full leather interior instead of the standard partial leather. The smell and feel would probably be worth the price tag. I would definately want the TPMS (which I understand is now standard on the '07s). I also would order the alluminum foot rest--my plastic one is already showing wear--scratches. This way it will match the other petals. I would probably not order the Sports Crono again. My personal experience with it combined with veiwpoints I have read on this forum (which I mostly agree with) have convinced me that it is not worth the expense.

Overall, I am thrilled with my 911S! Good luck with your decisions!!!

Quote:
    planenuts4speed said:

MMD: I loved your comment: "Black isn't a color Black is a job." Soooo true!!!

I'm glad. Not mine though; just repeating what I heard. Definitely SAD but true too... .

Great spec. You'll love your car. Might I suggest a few things to consider:

* We get full leather as standard in the UK (extra PoundsPoundsPounds of course) and I think it's worth getting that. Just makes the car look/feel so much classier, particularly with the stitching.

* Sports Chrono is worth it, for the sports mode. Much more responsive throttle etc etc.

* Nav just about worth getting - a bit behind the curve in features of the after market systems though. You eventually get to like it - not sure what the enhanced system involves though.

* Bose. I ordered it with my car and like it. But worth the price? Not sure. Suggest you listen to it first.

* X51. Probably well worth getting if you can afford it - but this is only from reading the comments on this and other boards. Of course more revs = more power on a non-X51'd 997 so you can always keep the sport button on/run it harder for a similar effect (at mid range revs anyway).

* I have the MF wheel. Found I don't use the buttons much apart from very long journeys when I use the phone and so on, but I like the look.

* Definitely recommend the TPMS. I noticed as soon as I got in my car that I had a flat and then pumped up the tyre to avoid any damage to the sidewalls before going to my local repair shop (without the gunk - don't use if you can possibly help it!). Also if you're a skinflint like me, you can save $$$ on gas by keeping your tyres pumped up to the right levels.

* I think you should try the sports shifter before you get it if you can - as many have said, even the standard can be quite notchy when cold.

* If you're driving in the winter in Boston you may want to consider ordering winter tyres now, as (certainly in the EU) they only produce short runs of them from the plant. Of course if you drive a lot in snow perhaps a 4S would be safer (although you pay with handling characteristics, weight, boot space etc).

* No need for the CD changer. Just burn lots of MP3 albums onto a CD - quality fine and you get 10 or more albums at once.

* Pity you're in the US, as the other thing I would recommend considering is the -20mm sports suspension with locking diff. Really annoyed I didn't get that myself...

* Oh yes, consider the clear bra. For some reason P-Cars seem to attract stones from truck tyres like magnets.

Just some ideas - hope they're useful. Good luck with your order. Amazing machines - hard core racing heritage which you can drive to the office every day.

SoS.

you won't find a single person with the short shift that would give it up.
    it's not expensive and should be standard on the S..but then a lot of things should be standard
    the 997 stock shifter is indeed an improvement over the 996 stock shifter, but still behind the short shift for fun and driving enjoyment.
    do it.

On the TPS...

I don't have TPS, but do have 19" wheels. With the low profile tyres it's often hard to tell if they are flat. One morning got in the car, started driving to work, and heard a strange rumbling which I intially thought was the road surface. Then realised it wasn't. Checked the tyres and one was flat. And I mean TOTALLY flat. Had gone <2 miles at this point. Car handled fine LOL. Got the inflator out and pumped it up, then went straight to tyre merchant. There was a screw in the tyre, so would normally have been fixable but the 2 miles on flat had damaged the sidewall. Tyre merchant recokoned that much further and the tyre would have sheared off the rim!!! Because the remaining tyres were half worn I had to buy a whole new set. Tyre merchant was a friend so he did them cost which still came to Pounds1,000. Given they were only part worn that probably cost me Pounds500 in real terms.

In order to retro fit TPS it is necessary to change ALL FOUR WHEELS!!! So very expensive retro fit

But how much to factory fit? Well a lot less than one puncture. So yes strongly recommend you factory fit TPS.

There's a lot of discussion about the usefulness of TPMS, but there's really no need to talk much. For MY07, it's standard equipment in the US.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775360 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440684 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262241 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260454 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84908 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879732 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814643 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM