Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Followed by State Police at 55, what would you do?

Minding my own business i'm driving my 997S "race car for the streets" and State Trooper is following me. I put the cruise on at 55 and enjoy the scenery.

This went on for 15 miuntes and all but one of those minutes were comfortable driving.

What would you have done? I was thinking of just making a right turn and get him off my tail.

Then again I got nothing to hide so just keep cruise on and let him pass me if he's in a hurry.

Then again we both know the thing is a big charade so why don't I end it and turn right?

This is a rural area where cops don't see expensive fast cars very often.

What would you have done? What would have gone on in your mind?

BTW, I am an exemplary citizen (it just happened that way ) and I have absolutely nothing to hide. Except the fact that ten minutes before the cop showed up I was doing 102mph in a passing situation.

Re: Followed by State Police at 55, what would you do?

Keep your cool and let both of you cruise along at 55 and enjoy the scenery.

I'm reminded of the old adage: "just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

1.) Be grateful he didn't nab you moments earlier @ double digits.
    2.) Roscoe P. Coltrane was probably just checking out your (car's) as$.
    3.) Cut back on the caffeine/ + take your medication...

Don't cut and run

If this is your route home, then stick with it and stick with 55.

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago in deepest darkest Kentucky, whilst driving an M-B. I got the sense that he was testing me, so over the hills, down the dales, and through the swooping curves for close to 10 miles I left the cruise control set for 55 and just steered. It was obviously more of an effort for him in his Ford Whatever than it was for me, but still not easy for the M-B. Eventually he got tired, bored, or scared and turned off the road.

It took about 30 minutes before I stopped hearing the "Dualing Banjo's" theme tune...

Re: Don't cut and run

Quote:
    Le Chef said:
    ...It took about 30 minutes before I stopped hearing the "Dualing Banjo's" theme tune...

Lol!

Wiedeking would be proud..

Re: Don't cut and run

I dealt with something similar yesterday. Cop's tailling me, set the cruise 1 or 2 above the limit figuring i'd loose him by slowly sneeking a couple cars up once i got on the freeway. He didn't have his radar on so i was just patient and waited for the freeway. WRONG-freeway was a parking lot and he was right with me all the way til my exit.

Between the cop and the freeway i don't think i got over 80km/hr on that trip home.

Sometimes you just have to have patience and know there will be another time to be a bit more spirited. And hey, if you would have pulled off and let him pass the only thing you could do is catch up to him, and that can't look to good.

Re: Followed by State Police at 55, what would you

You do realize that they usually just write you a ticket if you are speeding.

It's not like you're gonna go to prison for speeding. Why not just enjoy your drive knowing that regardless of what he does, the officer can only cost you money. If your biggest concern is a marred driving record, you're in the wrong kind of car.

And, that whole duelling banjos thing is IMHO severely overblown. Most of those guys hate pig jokes. "Squeal for me boy!"

I have had this happen before as well. All I do is cruise and enjoy the ride. If you are doing nothing wrong don't sweat it.

You did the sensible thing - nuff said!

Just be glad you spotted him before you embarked on another overtaking episode.

Quote:
    jabo said:
    You do realize that they usually just write you a ticket if you are speeding.

It's not like you're gonna go to prison for speeding.

Omeko3 are you reading this?

These guys are doing their jobs. That's all. He could have been testing you to see if you were the rightful owner. Someone who had just stolen the car would have probably bolted,--punched it, and then the OJ would begin!

Many years ago I came upon a pack of cars southbound on I5 in California. They were stacking up behind a CHP car for miles. I slowly worked my way up the pack. Even went so far as to pull up even with him. Discovered that he had a sign in the left rear window,--"out of service."

In no time I was on my way again!. Interestingly, no one broke the code for another 15-20 minutes, when a BMW came screaming by.

Dan

I wonder if the Romans had speed limits.
    I mean, here you are, tearing along the Via Appia in your
    2 HP Convertible , minding your own business , when all of a sudden .....

I would have slowed down to 48mph and put the cruise on. You're not doing anything illegal and it would have annoyed the crap out of him. If he's going to annoy you, why not share the favor.

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    I would have slowed down to 48mph and put the cruise on. You're not doing anything illegal and it would have annoyed the crap out of him. If he's going to annoy you, why not share the favor.

I would have obeyed all applicable laws until he went on his way. Antagonizing him could bite you in the ass. For example, are front plates required in California? Are those clear side markers legal? A cop can always find a reason to pull you over and make you miserable for a while if he wants (even if that reason is inconsequential or imagined). Once on the side of the road, things can go bad fast: what is that residue in your ashtray, have you been drinking, mind if I look in you trunk, etc, etc.

Don't they have anything better to do? like fight crime or something?

I would of gone from 40mph gradually to 55mph then gradually to 40mph then back to 55mph and so on until it became so anoying to follow that he gave up, knowing all the time that I was doing it on purpose just to [beep] him off.

If he stopped me for it I could of said that I had an new part in the engine rchanged and I was gently breaking in the enfgine while attending in everyway to the traffic laws. Thank you very much.

Cant stand those tax-collectors with police badges that harass vehicle drivers for speeding fines instead of keeping the streets safe.

here's the opposite quandry.
    I'm behind a police car on a winding river road. only him and me on the road. he's now doing 60-70 mph in a 45. I give him a 100 yard head start and I pace behind him for 3 miles or so.
    since I never heard of a cop clocking you from his rearview mirror, I went along for the ride.

Did you make any lane changes or turns where he kept following you?? If not, then maybe he too was just driving along enjoying the scenery. You, like most all drivers, get a little paranoid when a cop gets behind you, whether your driving legal or not...

Being a retired city cop of over twenty years, I can tell you that you had only two choices. Well, actually three...the latter one would be to nail it and out run him, but that would most likely end in a less than fond memory. It's the State Police and the rural cops that are the worst threat. They aren't as busy as the the city cops, therefore, have more time to spend chasing speeders thus creating more revenue for the state or township.
    I have known a few people to get breaks for excessively speeding, when doing it in a controlled safe manner and then being polite to the police.

Quote:
    peecarfan said:
    I'm behind a police car on a winding river road. only him and me on the road. he's now doing 60-70 mph in a 45. I give him a 100 yard head start and I pace behind him for 3 miles or so.
    since I never heard of a cop clocking you from his rearview mirror, I went along for the ride.

FYI...The cops CAN cite you for speeding, pacing you from their rearview mirror.

"This is a rural area where cops don't see expensive fast cars very often."

Maybe he was just checking out a cool car? If I wasn't speeding I'd be more worried if I was in a Porsche and it was NOT a cop that was following me.

Quote:
    devo said:
    Quote:
    peecarfan said:

FYI...The cops CAN cite you for speeding, pacing you from their rearview mirror.

Reminds me of a story from a friend when he was young and got pulled over. He asked the cop how he knew how fast he was going. cop says that he read his speedometer while following him. being a smart-as he replies that "your speedometer tells you how fast YOU are going". He got in a bit of trouble for that

I'd set my cruise at 48-50 mph and the cop can fall asleep following me.
    I've actually done that before and they usually get annoyed quickly and go around and take off into the distance.

Quote:
    peecarfan said:

I once got pulled over for exactly this and was given a warning ticket.

This is why they invented cruise control.

It's clearly not worth while to play games with the Man. Most likely he's just doing his job and you're not a target, so why draw attention to yourself? If you are a target, you definitely don't want to provoke a response, because you'll get it. As Friscorays says, everyone is almost always guilty of something.

What a difference being a good looking female make

My wife was driving our red 997S alone on the freeway when two cops pulled beside her. One of the police officers had her roll down her window and told her she had permission to speed. One cop drove drove ahead and the other stayed behind as she drove about 100mph down the freeway.

I used to live in a country with a maximium speed limit of 100 kph that is rife with zealous radar-euipped traffic police (revenue collectors).

I moved to Germany a year ago, but I still get a huge rush every time I legally overtake a police car on an unrestricted autobahn at double or triple the draconian speed limits that the ROW has to endure.

Re: What a difference being a good looking female make

Quote:
    borninthewoods said:
    My wife was driving our red 997S alone on the freeway when two cops pulled beside her. One of the police officers had her roll down her window and told her she had permission to speed. One cop drove drove ahead and the other stayed behind as she drove about 100mph down the freeway.

If a cop said this to me, I would have explored the limits of my 997S. When it was all over, I would have just said "Well, you said I had permission to speed!"

Where are THOSE cops when you need them!!!

borninthewoods said:

What if he was just checking plate numbers to see if the car was stolen,which does take some time. In that case maybe it was good he followed for awhile.

Quote:
    fpb said:
    "This is a rural area where cops don't see expensive fast cars very often."

Maybe he was just checking out a cool car? If I wasn't speeding I'd be more worried if I was in a Porsche and it was NOT a cop that was following me.

Was going to say the same thing. Cops are allowed to admire nice cars also. I know it's un-nerving when they follow you like that, but before I took delivery of my C2S I would have quite happily sat behind you at 55 all day.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689549 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409227 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255735 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857969 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774025 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM