Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Leftlane News - Z06 beats 911 Turbo on road course

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/10/11/corvette-z06-beats-porsche-911-turbo-around-track/

The course was somewhere in Sweden. The Z06 finished 2.6 seconds ahead of the 911 TT. There is a PDS in Swedish, maybe someone could help translate

Re: Leftlane News - Z06 beats 911 Turbo on road course

Are you afraid to post this on the 997TT board
    Translation coming up....

I don't get why people keep comparing the Turbo to the Z06. The Z06 is chevy's track car, so compare it to the GT3 or GT2. And if people complain about the price difference, then they shouldn't be comparing a chevy to a Porsche, just my 2 cents.

The driver is Fredrik Ekblom (STCC driver, and champion)

Quote:

Turbo:

The 4wd and the heavy rear makes the 997tt hard to drift, and the car undsteers easily. But it is better suited for normal track driving.

It feels feminin compared to the Corvette, something I have never said about a Porsche before.

The Turbo turns in very nicely under braking, the balance is neutral with a slight tendency to oversteer. When I get back on the throttle there is a bit too much movement in the chassis and it wants to sit on its ass and understeer.
    If you deliberately give it more throttle you can keep it in oversteer and get a better line, but then you have to shift and it understeers again.

In 4th the Z06 needs 4,1 sec from 80-120 kph, the Turbo only 2,9. In sixth the Turbo crushes the Z06, 5,5 sec vs 11,1.

The Turbo engine does not feel like turbocharged engine, it likes to rev and pushes hard all the way to the redline.

The Turbo brakes doesn't fade and the feedback is perfect. These brakes could handle slicks.

The fastest lap so far is 1.30,4, quite impressive as I qualify the STCC Audi in 1.21,4.

- They then fill up the Turbo, all 67 litres, and it is 0.3 sec faster.

The car turns in better now, with a full tank you get the nose down a little and can keep the throttle on longer when exiting a corner.

- Then it's the Z06:

The gearbox is difficult, but even if I couldn't find third gear on the pitstraight, it still did 1.29,3, another lap and I think I can get down to 1.28

The interior sucks, when I brake my face almost hits the windscreen, the seats are loose and don't have enough sidebolstering for a car of this caliber.

The engine has a nice and even powercurve, but not a lot happens after 6500 rpm. Going all the way to the redline is pointless.

The gearbox needs a firm hand and the space between 3rd and 5th is very close.

The brakes are holding up very nicely, but I have been talking it rather easy.

You probably should put this in the magazine, but the Z06 walks all over (to use his correct term - pisses all over) the Porsche. The Z06 is a surprisingly good trackcar and it can take a lot of punishment. You only need a rollcage, slicks and a slight update of the brakes to go racing.

Quote:
    Grant S. said:
    I don't get why people keep comparing the Turbo to the Z06. The Z06 is chevy's track car, so compare it to the GT3 or GT2. And if people complain about the price difference, then they shouldn't be comparing a chevy to a Porsche, just my 2 cents.

Re: Leftlane News - Z06 beats 911 Turbo on road co

I would like to see a rematch on a wet track.

What are the aftermarket options for the Z06 seats and shifter?
    The side airbag is in the door, correct?

People make such a big deal over the Z06. It is great at what it was suppose to do, but it's not groundbreaking. The Dodge Viper, which is equally cheap and unrefined, is as fast. (after a gearing change.)

Same goes for a Noble M400, TVR Sagaris, etc.

No way...the 150kg lighter,30hp more powerful car was the fastest of the 2? I don't believe it.Impossible.

Quote:
    Grant S. said:

The 911 TT for years is/was the benchmark. I think the Z06 vs. 911 TT is a very valid comparison. However, it will be interesting to see how it will compare to GT2/3, or maybe that will be what the Blue Devil is for? Once the Blue Devil hits production, the comparison will probably be C6 vs. Carrera S, Z06 vs. 911TT, Blue Devil vs. McLaren.

Here let me get them all out of the way. It's still a Chevy, Sh!tty seats, cheap leather, plastic interior, rattles all the time, only good for drag rcacing, it's still a Chevy, flying roof, unrefined, rednecks, mullets, trailer park trash, women without all thier teeth, kids on the slow bus, knocked my my daughter up at 14 and it's still just a chevy. Ahhhhh now don't we all feel better.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Here let me get them all out of the way. It's still a Chevy, Sh!tty seats, cheap leather, plastic interior, rattles all the time, only good for drag rcacing, it's still a Chevy, flying roof, unrefined, rednecks, mullets, trailer park trash, women without all thier teeth, kids on the slow bus, knocked my my daughter up at 14 and it's still just a chevy. Ahhhhh now don't we all feel better.

Let's face it guys yes it's a fast car but it is a Chevy no matter what. The days that P-cars and Ferraris ruled the sports car market in terms of performance are over. The competition is catching up. No matter how fast of a car you drive, these days a punk a$$ kid in a Honda or Acura with that is tricked can keep up with many high performance cars at least from the dead stop. So it's time to make a choice, I would go with quality and not just quantity. IMHO Porcshe offers both. Chevy is a gr8 buy but quantity is all you get, it's fast and it's the best bang for the bucks but it just does not have the European feel and never will

I honestly feel that the 997TT and Z06 are so close, depending on the car and the driver, sometimes the Z06 wins and sometimes the 997tt wins.

edz61, I absolutely agree with your words, but, related to "....and never will", we don't know that. They already catched the performance under a very, very cheap price.

The exterior of the car is not tacky (the interior horrible). Chevys just need a quality interior (and a bit of exterior resyling)to really hit our souls. I think that they should consider this. They are capable to do it. Maybe with the "Blue"....

In any case, those are the reasons I have not purchased one, but, sincerely, under a european point of view, it's time forus, the europeans, should go over some of our prejudices towards Chevys....they are getting the gap....

A great car, and a great price. Maybe too cheap and fast to go under unexpirienced hands. It could be really dangerous.

BTW, thank you Jersey for the post, and Tenn for the translation! Indeed, impressive figures....The Z06 deserves a respect (at least)

Quote:
    355Spider said:

I don't think you can compare a $15k Chevy to a Corvette. Does one make fun of VW V12 Phaeton becuase they make a $14k Rabbit? So let me get this right, if I pulled up in a $15k VW, that is probably OK, but if I pull up in a $70 Corvette, I am trash? Very strange if you think about it, that thinking is very superficial, stereotypical.

Guys, I am not knocking the Z06, yes it deserves every praise it can get and it is still not a cheap car. And I don't think anyone here is knocking those people that are less fortunate and can not buy very expensive cars. Bottom line I see and know people that get as much pleausre out of a $20K car as we do in a $100K+ car. To me that's a gift; to be able to be happy and gr8ful for our lives no matter how much money we have, where we live and what we drive.
    When I drive an expensive car and nice sweet people look at me and smile in such a way that; they are happy for you and they only wish someday they could have one, I smile and pray to God that they have one even better mine someday. Cars don't make people, people make cars. And money does not give anyone more class and dignity but only deceives people. Nevertheless we all love money, we just have to know our limits and not become someone unknown to everyone because we have $$$$$

Quote:
    355Spider said:

Did the test driver actually say that the Z06 "pisses all over the Porsche?" That's funny stuff if he did.

Quote:
    Erik said:
    Did the test driver actually say that the Z06 "pisses all over the Porsche?" That's funny stuff if he did.

Could you please repeat this comment on the 997tt board?

Here's an interesting question to ponder:
    If a Z06 and 997TT both cost $75K, which one would you buy and conversely, if they both cost $125K, which would you buy?

Maverick,

There are options for aftermarket seats. Some use Sparcos and others use Carivaggio who recovers Porsche GT3 seats.
    Also, I have a Callaway aftermarket shifter. It really helps the shift action.

This comparison is good. They are very evenly matched cars. You'll never see me bash anyones car. I'm a car nut, not a particular brand. My dream car is a GT3RS. Someday, I'll be able to afford one. Right now, my Boxster and Z06 are at different ends of the spectrum, but they are both great in their own unique way.
    I think the bashing from some people is because they're scared. No, the interior isn't the greatest, but I only paid $70K for my car and the performance is incredible. If it's being compared to $100K+ cars, then that's great for my car! I can also go out and spend $10K on my interior if I so choose and have a custom interior.

I love it...competition will make everyone better...I love 355 spiders satirical comment...
    yes compared to Porsche it's like a chain saw vs a surgeons scalpel...but very impressive indeed

Quote:
    stubenhocker said:
    I love it...competition will make everyone better...I love 355 spiders satirical comment...
    yes compared to Porsche it's like a chain saw vs a surgeons scalpel...but very impressive indeed

Another comparison is the the Corvette is the big strong guy who always sat in the back of the classroom, while the Porsche is the the guy with glaces and a sweater his mom made and who sat in the front row. We all now who got his butt kicked during the brakes.....Who would you rather be?

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    stubenhocker said:

Another comparison is the the Corvette is the big strong guy who always sat in the back of the classroom, while the Porsche is the the guy with glaces and a sweater his mom made and who sat in the front row. We all now who got his butt kicked during the brakes.....Who would you rather be?

I'd rather be the nerd because the jock's going to be bagging my groceries, but I don't think this is a very cogent allegory...

I have to say that I think the Z06 V. 911 Turbo is a valid comparison. Because the Turbo is the Porsche people always talk about and is supposed to be so incredible. I think it is also good commentary on the price of Porsche cars.

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    stubenhocker said:

I'd rather be the nerd because the jock's going to be bagging my groceries, but I don't think this is a very cogent allegory...

But the chainsaw and surgeon is a fair allegory? Well, some of the Porsche owners are very quick to throw snoby judgements around but are very, very sensitive when they are met with the same rethoric....

Why are auto magazines comparing the Z06 with 997tt, Ferrari 430 and Gallardo even though the price of a Z06 is half or less compared to the other cars? Could it be because the Z06 is a trashy plastic car as some of the Porsche owners claim? If so they could just as well compare with a KIA or DAEWO....or could it be that the Z06 is considered to be a worthy rival to the Porsche and Ferrari? If so; why do the Porsche owner fell so intimidated by the Z06....could it be because they feel bad from the knowledge that they were overcharged?

I think people have this view of a 1976 oil crisis Corvette that their brother in law had that in the mid 80's that they could never get to run right. It's come a long way from how you remember it as a teenager...

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    Hurst said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Quote:
    stubenhocker said:

But the chainsaw and surgeon is a fair allegory? Well, some of the Porsche owners are very quick to throw snoby judgements around but are very, very sensitive when they are met with the same rethoric....

Why are auto magazines comparing the Z06 with 997tt, Ferrari 430 and Gallardo even though the price of a Z06 is half or less compared to the other cars? Could it be because the Z06 is a trashy plastic car as some of the Porsche owners claim? If so they could just as well compare with a KIA or DAEWO....or could it be that the Z06 is considered to be a worthy rival to the Porsche and Ferrari? If so; why do the Porsche owner fell so intimidated by the Z06....could it be because they feel bad from the knowledge that they were overcharged?

I didn't make that comparison. The only comparison that's needed is this:

The z06 is a better sportscar than the 911 Turbo. Period.

The 911 turbo is a more complete car than the z06. Period.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

I don't think you can compare a $15k Chevy to a Corvette. Does one make fun of VW V12 Phaeton becuase they make a $14k Rabbit? So let me get this right, if I pulled up in a $15k VW, that is probably OK, but if I pull up in a $70 Corvette, I am trash? Very strange if you think about it, that thinking is very superficial, stereotypical.

Yeah I was being sarcastic. I own a Z06.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

Yeah I was being sarcastic. I own a Z06.

I know, I was taking the opportunity to make an additional point

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Erik said:

Could you please repeat this comment on the 997tt board?

You know I actually think thats a good thing that the Chevy lol pisses all over the 911
    Porsche should learn their lesson and make a proper
    turbo. Meaning it should be what the ZO6 is today: Easily faster than it's competition.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752819 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430462 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258471 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255395 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5248 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868075 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801662 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM