Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

High-Speed acceleration data of Z06

Just found this Z06 video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EiNFiLhV0&mode=related&search=

Based on a comparison of speedo based acceleration times and GPS-based (real) acceleration times in the sportscars magazin (issue 10, October 2006) I have derived the following data:

0-50 (real kph): 2s
    0-100: 4s
    0-200: 13s
    0-250: 20s
    0-260: 23s
    0-270: 28s
    0-280: 32s
    0-300: 39s

Compared to the Gallardo 520 performance (see my earlier post) the above data suggests:

- Up to 250kph the Z06 gains around 1.5 to 2 seconds on the Gallardo
    - The Gallardo catches up between 250kph and 280kph - both cars neeed around 32s up to 280kph
    - Unfortunately, 280kph was the maximum I could do with the Gallardo

Also, based on RC's 997TT Tip report and my test drive in the 997TT Manual the 997TT does 0-290 in around 35s. The Z06 does 0-290 in around 35s as well.

Thus, the above indicates that 997TT, Z06 and Gallardo have nearly identical 0-300kph performance. It is also true that the Z06 is slightly slower than Gallardo and 997TT above 250kph.

Re: High-Speed acceleration data of Z06

acceleration is wicked...that needle sweeps accros the guage with absolute ease...love it!

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Just found this Z06 video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EiNFiLhV0&mode=related&search=

Based on a comparison of speedo based acceleration times and GPS-based (real) acceleration times in the sportscars magazin (issue 10, October 2006) I have derived the following data:

0-50 (real kph): 2s
    0-100: 4s
    0-200: 13s
    0-250: 20s
    0-260: 23s
    0-270: 28s
    0-280: 32s
    0-300: 39s

Compared to the Gallardo 520 performance (see my earlier post) the above data suggests:

- Up to 250kph the Z06 gains around 1.5 to 2 seconds on the Gallardo
    - The Gallardo catches up between 250kph and 280kph - both cars neeed around 32s up to 280kph
    - Unfortunately, 280kph was the maximum I could do with the Gallardo

Also, based on RC's 997TT Tip report and my test drive in the 997TT Manual the 997TT does 0-290 in around 35s. The Z06 does 0-290 in around 35s as well.

Thus, the above indicates that 997TT, Z06 and Gallardo have nearly identical 0-300kph performance. It is also true that the Z06 is slightly slower than Gallardo and 997TT above 250kph.

It would seem that the missing gear does hurt the Z06 a bit. Looks like the car is ideally suited to the US - faster down low and a bit slower up top.

A shorter rear would improve that. Say...go from 3:42.1 to a 3:63.1 or even a 3:73.1 Most Ferrari's and Lambo's run this type of gearing (or more). You might loose a little top end (maybe down to 190'ish), but the acceleration in 4th and 5th would vastly improve. This car would be more of an animal with 3:73's, but traction might be unmanageable, and gas mileage would certainly go WAY down.

The gearing of the Z06 is totally ridiculous for performance - it's only to avoid gas guzzler tax. 6th gear is totally unusable except for cruising. Top speed happens in 5th gear...

To improve performance, changing the final drive ratio would not do enough. You would want to change the individual gear ratios to arrive at a close-ratio 6spd. Instead, we get a very wide ratio 5 spd with one more unusuable gear at the top...

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    The gearing of the Z06 is totally ridiculous for performance - it's only to avoid gas guzzler tax. 6th gear is totally unusable except for cruising. Top speed happens in 5th gear...

To improve performance, changing the final drive ratio would not do enough. You would want to change the individual gear ratios to arrive at a close-ratio 6spd. Instead, we get a very wide ratio 5 spd with one more unusuable gear at the top...

Another consideration is the following: in case of the 997TT the 6th gear of the manual version does not improve high-speed performance vs. the 5gear Tiptronic version. Thus, in the manual 997TT you can achieve the same 200-300kph performance with (i) starting in 5th, then switching to 6th and (ii) using the 6th gear only.

The reason must be the torque characteristic of the engine. A 6th gear does not always improve acceleration performance.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:Another consideration is the following: in case of the 997TT the 6th gear of the manual version does not improve high-speed performance vs. the 5gear Tiptronic version. Thus, in the manual 997TT you can achieve the same 200-300kph performance with (i) starting in 5th, then switching to 6th and (ii) using the 6th gear only.

The reason must be the torque characteristic of the engine. A 6th gear does not always improve acceleration performance.

That's not a fair comparison, since Porsche provides higher boost levels (with pre-boosting) in the Tiptronic to compensate for the slushbox and one fewer gear...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:Another consideration is the following: in case of the 997TT the 6th gear of the manual version does not improve high-speed performance vs. the 5gear Tiptronic version. Thus, in the manual 997TT you can achieve the same 200-300kph performance with (i) starting in 5th, then switching to 6th and (ii) using the 6th gear only.

That's not a fair comparison, since Porsche provides higher boost levels (with pre-boosting) in the Tiptronic to compensate for the slushbox and one fewer gear...

No, no I was talking about the Manual 997TT: You can do identical 200-300 times in 5th/6th and 6th gear only

That's the slowest Z06 I have ever heard of. For comparison sake. I took mine to the quarter mile track for the first time and ran 0-123 in 11.5 seconds. That was my very first pass ever on a 100 degree night with 80% humidity. Better drivers have run 0-127 in 11.3 flat. 13 seconds 0-200 is the slowest Z06 with the worst driver.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    That's the slowest Z06 I have ever heard of. For comparison sake. I took mine to the quarter mile track for the first time and ran 0-123 in 11.5 seconds. That was my very first pass ever on a 100 degree night with 80% humidity. Better drivers have run 0-127 in 11.3 flat. 13 seconds 0-200 is the slowest Z06 with the worst driver.

Nearly all German magazine tests of the Z06 came up with 0-125 times in the 12.5 to 13.0 range. The only test with a better result was around 11.9s.

Anyhow, a second more or less up to 125mph does not change the important point: the Z06 is very fast up to around 250kph. Beyond that point competing sports cars in the 500hp class seem to be a bit faster.

Quote:
    Grant said:

Also, take into consideration this is not an ultra high reving DOHC motor that requires revs to make power. Smaller displacement higher revving motors need tall gearing otherwise they would fall on their face, while the imense torque curve of a 427CI motor makes gearing less of an issue. Basically the massive torque will pull you out of any gear, hence the rolling start in 5th on the Top Gear video. Also, they wanted to car to hit 60mph in first gear, to give it awesome 0-60 times.

To be honest, in a torque oriented US pushrod V8, a close ratio 6 speed would be a waste. The negatives far outweight the positives (good gas mileage). To be honest, who uses 6th gear as a performance gear anyway? I would rather have a nice 5 speed with a deep overdrive for the highway. I personally see acceleration beyond 150 to be a waste, it's dangerous for one, and 98% of race tracks do not have enought room to hit those speeds anyway.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

Nearly all German magazine tests of the Z06 came up with 0-125 times in the 12.5 to 13.0 range. The only test with a better result was around 11.9s.

Anyhow, a second more or less up to 125mph does not change the important point: the Z06 is very fast up to around 250kph. Beyond that point competing sports cars in the 500hp class seem to be a bit faster.

Yeah that seems pretty convenient. All american mags show the Z06 to be in between 1-2 seconds faster. Gearing does kill it above 250 though.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

Also, take into consideration this is not an ultra high reving DOHC motor that requires revs to make power. Smaller displacement higher revving motors need tall gearing otherwise they would fall on their face, while the imense torque curve of a 427CI motor makes gearing less of an issue. Basically the massive torque will pull you out of any gear, hence the rolling start in 5th on the Top Gear video. Also, they wanted to car to hit 60mph in first gear, to give it awesome 0-60 times.

To be honest, in a torque oriented US pushrod V8, a close ratio 6 speed would be a waste. The negatives far outweight the positives (good gas mileage). To be honest, who uses 6th gear as a performance gear anyway? I would rather have a nice 5 speed with a deep overdrive for the highway. I personally see acceleration beyond 150 to be a waste, it's dangerous for one, and 98% of race tracks do not have enought room to hit those speeds anyway.

Good point. Who's going to be able to race from 120-190 anyway?

Quote:
    355Spider said:

Anyone who lives in Germany

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    355Spider said:

Anyone who lives in Germany

Don't we all wish. At least for the driving anyway.

Ha, ha those times for the Z06 are sooooo funnny. I have driven it on the Autobahn against Ferrari's and Porsche's.....Z06 kills them even in 5th gear...no problem.

Come on, prove your theory on the strip or the road. Not on the internet.....I'm still laughing!

Quote:
    Congaman said:
    Ha, ha those times for the Z06 are sooooo funnny. I have driven it on the Autobahn against Ferrari's and Porsche's.....Z06 kills them even in 5th gear...no problem.

Come on, prove your theory on the strip or the road. Not on the internet.....I'm still laughing!

How many Turbos and 430s did you meet? Carreras and 360s don't count, that's like slapping children with an anvil .

Quote:
    Congaman said:

We are laughing about you my friend Your car is not the fastest - annoyed But be assured: you have one of the cheapest fast cars

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:

We are laughing about you my friend Your car is not the fastest - annoyed But be assured: you have one of the cheapest fast cars

Now I'm laughing like crazy. I'm imagining MKSGR as an English gentleman, holding a cane and kicking Congaman on the floor: "Right, old chap! Off you go! Get that piece of plastic off my doorstep!"

Never would I do such a bad thing, never

Honestly, Congaman does not seem to know that the above data is not just based on theory...

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Honestly, Congaman does not seem to know that the above data is not just based on theory...

You have to forgive him, he's new and (rightfuly) proud of his car.

Congaman, MKSGR is a guy who regularly drives Murcielagos, Ferrari 599s and other exotics on the Autobahn and has vast experience, so don't discount him, because he could run laps around you and your Corvette with a Fiat Punto, using a pair of lethargic hamsters as an engine .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Congaman, MKSGR is a guy who regularly drives Murcielagos, Ferrari 599s and other exotics on the Autobahn and has vast experience, so don't discount him, because he could run laps around you and your Corvette with a Fiat Punto, using a pair of lethargic hamsters as an engine .

Now you are making fun of me

P.S.: Ooohhhh, appologies! Just noticed that I am talking with a "Rennteam VIP"

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Now you are making fun of me

P.S.: Ooohhhh, appologies! Just noticed that I am talking with a "Rennteam VIP"

Oooh, you're quite right. Careful now, or I'll turn on my snobby British accent .

I wasn't making fun of you, I just stated the facts as they stood. Congaman is a young enthusiast (like me), who can barely drive (like me) and is trying to talk smack to an older and much more experienced driver, namely you. I just told him that he picked the wrong person to try and scold (you're too experienced and too objective).

You are embarrassing me

If you could see me drive you would change your opinion within seconds

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    You are embarrassing me

If you could see me drive you would change your opinion within seconds

Don't push it! I said you were an excellent driver, not Michael Schumacher .

Although, I'm willing to take you up on that offer, should you ever want to meet .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:

How many Turbos and 430s did you meet? Carreras and 360s don't count, that's like slapping children with an anvil .

Well, only during my trip to the Nurburg ring I had an encounter with about 10 of the Ferrari 430's, a few Porsche GT3 RS and some other cars.

Here is a video I made: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7812469599992634578&q=Z06+Nurburg

And her is me Vs. a Ferrari 430 on the Koenigsegg track (I started from 2nd gear thus crippeling the Z06 in the start, still beat the 430)
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4422552883516340071

Something else you want to ask me? *jesus* You do know that both the Autobahn and the Nurburg Ring are located in Germany, don't you? I could also tell you that it is possible to race on both the Autobahn and the Nurburg Ring. So yes I've raced the cars you mention and in real life, not on the internet. Now, what is your experience, Crash? I want proof from a video!!

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Congaman said:

Nope, I'm not annoyed always glad if I can spread some hapiness. Still your data is not based on facts as you claim in one of your posts. I could post - and will do so if you still claim that your data should be considered as fact - lots of videos with stock Z06 doing the 1/4-mile in mid or low 11's with trap speeds over 124 Mph. If you are interested in facts go to www.corvetteforum.com and search for a member Ranger and see what he does with his stock Z06 then look for another member MyTopHat and see what he does. I could go on but I'm to tired.After doing your homework come back and tell me if you are still laughing at me.

Also I know that the Z06 isn't the fastest car in the world. Please show me a quote were I made this statement. I have never been anything than respectful towards the Porsches, Lamborghinis and Ferrari's. Thats why I'm so tired of trash talk about the Corvette.

I'm respectfuly waiting for your answer after you've done the homework.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760892 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434487 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260073 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257205 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80786 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871404 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806610 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM