Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Japanese Grand Prix

I watched an old Top Gear episode on BBC today. It was a race between two Renault Espace vans, a Toyota Previa, another Toyota Star something, a Mitsubishi and a Nissan Serena. That was entertaining. F1 just isn't.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    I watched an old Top Gear episode on BBC today. It was a race between two Renault Espace vans, a Toyota Previa, another Toyota Star something, a Mitsubishi and a Nissan Serena. That was entertaining. F1 just isn't.

LOL

I realize that these conspiracy theories are both entertaining and perhaps even able to comfort fans of whoever driver isn't getting the results you hoped for.
    Maybe the F1 game is dirty and maybe the FIA and others are giving Alonso a hard time. I believe that is true. But I dont know.

But I'm pretty sure that Michael Schumacher and other world champions have faced the same opposition when THEY were struggling to win - be it unfair rulings by the FIA, competitors playing dirty tricks or whatever.
    MS has won SEVEN times, and unless he bought the FIA before his first championship, I really cant see why he (or Villeneuve or Hakkinen) would have had an easier time than Alonso.

It's as if Alonso is poor little Red riding Hood and everyone else is the big bad wolf.
    He got the title last year, and Im pretty sure he had an equally hard time then. He still managed to get the title.

Throughout last year Kimi was a victim of bad craftsmanship and bad luck.
    If anything, Alonso has been a victim of his own team's bad decisions and one strange FIA ruling.

So is Alonso a victim? Some of you seem to think so.
    As I see it he has chosen to drive in F1, and if he (or anyone else) thinks it sucks, he is welcome to leave or try to change it from within.

In my book, a victim is someone who lets others control them. Someone who keeps complaining about how it's always other people who are to blame for their own poor results. Someone who isn't poweful or able to change their own situation.

It's up to Alonso (and other drivers) if they wanna focus on what OTHERS are doing to them, or focus on what they THEMSELVES can do about a given situation.
    IMO the difference between Alonso and MS is the fact that MS is a winner by attitude and nature. He is entirely focused on HIS OWN agenda, and what HE can do to win.
    Alonso seems to spend a lot of time complaining and speculating about other drivers agendas etc.
    I believe this could very well cost Alonso the championship.

I'm happy to see someone voicing it out in the open, intead of shuting up and putting out. Some things have changed due to this in favout of the objectivety and fairness of the F1 sport... sorry, F1 business. If nobody brings it out and complains and speaks harsh words to the press, nothing will ever change, someone will take Schumi's place when he retires and things will continue the same. Alonso reminds me of Senna in that sense. Thats the reason Alonso has been named president of the driver's association by the drivers, and the main agenda is to take away power from people like Charlie Whiting and spread the power out so desitions are more democratic and less infuenciable by economic and private interests moving behind the scenes of F1. Yet Alonso when inside the track is a perfect gentlemen, you never see him doing unsportive maneuvers pushing other cars out like Schumi has, or stopping the car in qualifying in Monaco, or weaving ilegally from side to side several times on a GP start to prevent overtaking, etc, etc. Alonso has proven you can win without having to do that sort of stuff. Kimi is another driver that I like because of that, all his overtakes are beautifully clean, etc.

Its no personal conspiracy against Alonso, its just that Alonso is the only threat to the championship. If Kimi were in Alonsos place and were the one with the 116 points, he would of been the victim instead. Its just that Alonso is more hot headed outside then track and will not drop down his pants and bend over, even if its not in his best interests, since going against Charlie Whiting is not the helathiest thing for an F1 driver's career, nor critizising many time Ferrari's tactics and cheatings has blown him the posibility of a seat in Ferrari. But in the ends,we fans win with this. I'm sure there are other drivers who swim upstream in silence but Alonso is so important in F1 that he gets heard by all and can't be silenced, not even by his own team who has tried many times because it also does not help Renault.

Who knows, maybe they will even start to finally make modifications to the regulations that will allow the driver to be a mayor factor in the results, with more driver factor, overtaking, fightinmg, etc. intead of the boring parade that it is today. Ok, now I'm just dreaming

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Its no personal conspiracy against Alonso, its just that Alonso is the only threat to the championship. If Kimi were in Alonsos place and were the one with the 116 points, he would of been the victim instead.

So you mean that any driver who isnt's Schumi is a threat to the establishment?
    I.e. strong forces only want MS to win?

No doubt that big $$$ is involved here, but I can't see how the FIA would benefit more from MS winning than Alonso, Kimi or others winning the championship. AFAIK Renault is as wealthy a company as FIAT, so if corruption (bribes etc) control F1, I'd think Renault would be able to compete. Sure, that's not fair - but look at Tour De France. Seems everyone has decided that cheating is ok- as long as they dont get caught

I dunno who owns who or who is dirtier.
    For all I know, MS could be the victim and Renault the bad guys.
    It's all rumours, PR, spin, conspiracy theories etc...

I think it's good that Alonso speaks up - but I dont like the way he does it. He isnt mature enough as a spokesperson to deal with these issues, I believe.
    And eventually, people get tired of persons who always point fingers at others. The best Alonso can do for himself, his team and last but not least the sport/business of F1, is play it cool, focus on winning and change the system gradually and from within.
    Nothing says "winner" more than winning. Nothing says "loser" more than being a pi55ing and moaning number two.

Lets just say that one team has gotten too influential in F1 over the years becoming very important to the organisers and earnings of the sprot, Schumi has been Whiting's pet for years being ahead of the driver's asso. and playing to the FIA, and finally, lets not forget that Formula1 is a private owned sport. Mix all this together and you see were the chips may fall. I don't believe there is any direct bribing going on at all, if that wre the case, Toyota would be wining F1, then again I din't use to think so of Italian Soccer either

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Lets just say that one team has gotten too influential in F1 over the years becoming very important to the organisers and earnings of the sprot, Schumi has been Whiting's pet for years being ahead of the driver's asso. and playing to the FIA, and finally, lets not forget that Formula1 is a private owned sport. Mix all this together and you see were the chips may fall. I don't believe there is any direct bribing going on at all, if that wre the case, Toyota would be wining F1, then again I din't use to think so of Italian Soccer either

Yeah, sports are more rotten than we think. It's only sports to the spectators, but hardcore business to the participants.
    And Im sure Ferrari has a tad too much influence in F1 - but the same will happen if Alonso, Kimi or any other driver who becomes a multiple winner.
    The more success, the more audience they draw, the more influence they get on political decisions.
    MS and Ferrari have won more than anyone, hence they are listened more to than anyone else, and probably get off easily in some incidents, and influence other decisions too much at other times.

It's like any other aspect of business: If you are experienced, old, successful and have been an inportant part of a business for many years, people listen to you. More so than they listen to less successful, less experienced persons.

It may sometimes be too much, and cause conservative thinking, but I think that's simply the way things are.
    People arent equal. Power isnt evenly distributed and life isnt fair.
    Thats why its hard to become successful - in F1 or any other business.

Fact is, no matter who you like in F1: MS is bar none the most winning and successful person in F1. Hence he gets (to some degree) more influence than others.
    Im sure Alonso has more influence than, say, Kubica, but isnt that just ok?

The merit I give to MS is not that he is the fastest driver cause Alonso for example is showing more talent and statistics than MS ever did at this stage of his career, but driving fast in the track is not all there is to it in F1, lots of drivers can go very fast in an F1 but there a lot of work outside the Sunday race that makes you a 7 Time World Champion.

And that is were I credit MS, he "built" a winning team, Ferrai was nowere for many years before MS, Ferrari is Ferrari in F1 thanks to MS, his work methodology, his carisma and leadership in the team, his ability to prepare and develop the car, etc. this has lead to having an unbeatable combination; a very fast driver and the best team&car in F1 for years.

The downside is that MS has been one of the most un-sportive & dirtiest drivers in Formula One history, that is why I don't like him and even though I recognise what he has done, I can never cheer for him.

Eventhough McLaren seems in bad shape for the last two years, this years even worse than last, I like the idea tha Alonso is going to McLaren next year, precisely for the reason that I want to see if Alonso coming in can change things around and show those off-track talents that make you and your team a multi-time champion. Thats one of the things I don't see in Kimi, he is very fast but only when everything is 100% OK, and after two years in McLaren, they are worse than ever. Lest see what Alonso can do next year. And in turn Kimi is going to get a seat in Ferrari who has the best team in F1 for the last years and hopefully Kiimi will have a change in "luck".

alonso has no charisma what so ever....

looks like the standard madrileño.... not very fun to watch

Carlos,
    You think the race is pretty much over if the weather is dry?

The Renault team didn't seem too upset by their qualifying positions, but perhaps they were expecting such a result. I was hoping for a more competitive race and for Renault to have something up their sleeve, like a heavy fuel load, but we shall see.

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Carlos,
    You think the race is pretty much over if the weather is dry?

The Renault team didn't seem too upset by their qualifying positions, but perhaps they were expecting such a result. I was hoping for a more competitive race and for Renault to have something up their sleeve, like a heavy fuel load, but we shall see.

True, you never know but the diferences on the dry were so huge that I don't see it. Not only on the one-lap qualifying were the Michelins needed more warm up, but the problem is that in the warm up right before qualifying were they ran consecutive laps simulating race pace, the Bridgestones were far far superior, that is the worrying part because it reflects the race.

The only question I see is wether the Bridgestone will hold up the performance all the way through till the end of the tires lives, since thats Michelins only chance. We saw a glipse of that in China GP were the Michelin slicks after a while started to get some grip and Alonso managed to post the fastest laps, but was already too late. This is the only thing I see hapening in favour of the Michelins, but probably MS will be too far away by then again, we will see tomorrow.

Alonso needs to pass the Toyotas on the start, and keep up with MS on the first laps, if he does this he may have a chance. On the other hand if MS starts to break away from the group early on then its pretty much settled. And Massa is going to play a mayor role if he gets between MS and the rest in the first laps acting as a wall.

The hotter and drier the track is, the more it will favor the Bridgestones over the Michelins and the bigger the differences we will see.

Of course it could rain mid race and spice things up!

Quote:
    LB said:

LB, I take ofense to that statement, whats a standard madrileño? please clarify it.

BTW he is not even from Madrid, he is from Asturias, hence the blue flags you see everywere.

Carlos no need to take offense... By standard madrileño i refer to his look "pijo arrogant"

Quote:
    LB said:
    Carlos no need to take offense... By standard madrileño i refer to his look "pijo arrogant"

Ok, I see

Quote:
    LB said:
    alonso has no charisma what so ever....

It's late, Ijust arrived home..............but can not ressist my two cents, refered to your post: I care nothing if Alonso is "this" or "that" he is not my friend.............he is a GREAT pilot.........I care nothing if he is nice or not........HE does his job............any other considerations are just "Viennese Waaltzs"

By the way.

I AM AND ALLWAYS BE A "PIJO"........ pleaase don't force me about my "curriculum mortis" or about my garage..............please don't ..it's my private stuff............but yes, I am a "Pijo" From "La Bonanova", from Sant Ignacio School........(when a kid in England......Leicester.....Stoney Gate School.....in London Road).....this words are refered to those in Spain that can underst and them.........sorrry for the others.....I'm simply laughing.........

Geez you spanish dudes sure do support your country man! Conspiracy or not, there is no denying that Michael Schumacher is a champ. Put him in the same car as Alonso even today in the twilight of his career, and I have no doubt that he will beat Alonso. I truly believe that only 2 driver can truly match MS, and that is the late Senna.

IT'S ALL OVER.

Alonso will be World Champion again if Schumi doesn't win in Brazil or if Fernando scores just one point in the final race. I think it's virtually certain that Alonso will win again.

Alonso on course to win the Japanese GP with Schumi just spectating now following engine failure.

I still believe in the drivers championship,there are very few possibilites for Michael but still there are.
    however Michael is a great person, he said that for him the championship is closed but he will fight for the constructor's title and his aim is not that fernando will be out the race.
    I didn't like the dancing of fernando in the paddock
    We will see in Brasil, this is a championship full of surprises, maybe the weather maybe....we will see

However I say: grazie Michael!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    IT'S ALL OVER.

Alonso will be World Champion again if Schumi doesn't win in Brazil or if Fernando scores just one point in the final race. I think it's virtually certain that Alonso will win again.

Alonso on course to win the Japanese GP with Schumi just spectating now following engine failure.

Better get Massa to ram him off the track . That's the only way I see them winning. What a lousy way to end a championship .

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Geez you spanish dudes sure do support your country man! Conspiracy or not, there is no denying that Michael Schumacher is a champ. Put him in the same car as Alonso even today in the twilight of his career, and I have no doubt that he will beat Alonso. I truly believe that only 2 driver can truly match MS, and that is the late Senna.

Yes, life is so much easier when you are blinded by partriotism.
    Boring race today, and a sad outcome. Both for MS, Ferrari and people who like entertaining drivers.
    Again we will most likely see Alonso become champion by default, thru the misfortune of the better drivers.
    That's all totally part of F1, and some will claim that a win is a win, no matter how u get it.
    A friend of mine said after the race: "It's kinda disturbing, that I cant remember one single great move or maneuver by Alonso. It should be easy when someone is champion".

From F1.com:
    He (MS) must win, with Alonso failing to score, something Schumacher insists he is not even hoping for. "As for the drivers' (title) it is lost," said the German. "I don't want to head off for a race, hoping that my rival has to retire. That is not the way in which I want to win the title."

Yeah, right! I'm pretty sure he'd like Alonso to retire big time! LOL!
    He's just not as good at winning that way as Alonso is...

But facts are facts, so congratulations to those fans who support Alonso.

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    ... "It's kinda disturbing, that I cant remember one single great move or maneuver by Alonso. It should be easy when someone is champion".

Hm, the ones I do remember from MS is ramming others of the track or taking a shortcut. I am not defending or supporting anyone - just seeing the facts.

Alonso might not be on par with Schumacher - maybe he is. We won't find out until they are both driving the exact same car.

It really get's boring discussing the facts with some of you...

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    It really get's boring discussing the facts with some of you...

May I suggest you just don't, then?

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Yes, life is so much easier when you are blinded by partriotism.

So whats your excuse? you are the most blinded and obsessed person in this board but I don't see many danish drivers in F1, thats even worse

Quote:
    Dr. Phil said:
    Again we will most likely see Alonso become champion by default, thru the misfortune of the better drivers.

Hello?? BY DEFAULT? you mean because MS broke the engine today? seriously now, do you know how many non-finishes due to mechanical failure MS had this season? only ONE!. Alonso has had TWO of them. Would that have maid MS champion by default if he would of won?

Second, have you seen any of the Michelin driver's hang with Alonso of follow his pace today?

Like I said, please check the facts before you throw your anti-Alonso tantrums and base the on facts, like Ferdie says, it really gets tireing to correct you with the facts all the time.

All in all, except for MS' engine problem, the rest was predictable. The Birdgestones would escape, Massa in between, and the Michelins improved after they got quite a few laps in them allowing Alonso to recuperate lap by lap on MS thereafter.

I'm happy Alonso won. But unhappy because Shumi lost because a motor failure. I'd rather prefer to see Alonso beating Shumi in the track. In fact he was going faster than the Ferrari. And this fact has a clear reason: people at Ferrari knew they had a tired engine, and Michael was conservative.

I insist, not really happy. Michael's behavour after his motor crash was the behavour of a champion...very difficult moments for him...I almost could feel his pain. He did well. He did wath he had to do....as Fernando.

Two great pilots.

And refering to attitudes, I deslike Alonso's after winning. I can understand everything was againt him before Suzuka. Everything and almost everybody (Mr. Briatore was not really happy in spite Alonso won). But a moderate attitude is what a gentleman should consider. Sorry towards Fisichella. He was, in this time an example: as far as I know a close friend of him died very recently.that's why he was crying in the podium, and he did not even had the champain.....claps for him.

Once more, I have to say that feel happy because Alonso won, but Shumi went "Home" as a great winner, as a genleman he is. For me, together with Ayrton, the best in history (And Alonso can be the third in such "club").

What's happening with Mclaren and Williams?????

I feel very disappointed with them....they should be there, fighting for the poium!

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    So whats your excuse? you are the most blinded and obsessed person in this board but I don't see many danish drivers in F1, thats even worse

Considering the exclusivity of being Danish (population only 5 mio)it's not bad having 2 drivers in F1 the last 4 years. Besides, the most winning sportscar driver, 7-time Le Mans champion Tom Kristensen, is Danish.
    So speaking of facts and statistics, you may want to consider quoting almanacs and homepages that aren't written by a Spaniard. It may open you eyes to the fact that Alonso isnt the only driver out there.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Hello?? BY DEFAULT? you mean because MS broke the engine today? seriously now, do you know how many non-finishes due to mechanical failure MS had this season? only ONE!. Alonso has had TWO of them. Would that have maid MS champion by default if he would of won?

My dear Carla. You are all worked up. Take it easy
    I can see why you identify with Alonso and his "passionate" behaviour.

This is something we just have to agree to disagree on. Again, to you Alonso is a great driver who has fought his way to the top. To others he just isnt.
    I havent seen anything that qualifies his as champion. You seem to have. And I believe you wouldn't feel the same way if he were, say, Irish.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Second, have you seen any of the Michelin driver's hang with Alonso of follow his pace today?

Raikkonen actually gained more spots than Alonso today.
    But you are right. The Renaults are very fast cars.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Like I said, please check the facts before you throw your anti-Alonso tantrums and base the on facts, like Ferdie says, it really gets tireing to correct you with the facts all the time.

I know your mission in life is to preach the Alonso gospel to everyone, but please understand that not everyone will convert to Feminandoism.
    Like I said. You are blinded by your love for Spain and Alonso. Hence your own biased opinions become "facts".
    That's actually admirable. Too few people are really that patriotic these days

Quote:
    Byron said:
    I'm happy Alonso won. But unhappy because Shumi lost because a motor failure. I'd rather prefer to see Alonso beating Shumi in the track.

Yeah, that would be fun...and also pretty unrealistic. Alonso isn't exactly known for winning races by overtaking the tough competitors. But it doesnt seem he has to.
    If MS had stayed on the track w/o problems, he would have won without a doubt. But that's only of academic interest.

Quote:
    Byron said:
    In fact he was going faster than the Ferrari. And this fact has a clear reason: people at Ferrari knew they had a tired engine, and Michael was conservative.

Alonso was fast - but no doubt MS's problems didnt exactly make things harder for him.

Quote:
    Byron said:
    I insist, not really happy. Michael's behavour after his motor crash was the behavour of a champion...very difficult moments for him...I almost could feel his pain. He did well. He did wath he had to do....as Fernando.

Two great pilots.

And refering to attitudes, I deslike Alonso's after winning. I can understand everything was againt him before Suzuka. Everything and almost everybody (Mr. Briatore was not really happy in spite Alonso won). But a moderate attitude is what a gentleman should consider.
    Once more, I have to say that feel happy because Alonso won, but Shumi went "Home" as a great winner, as a genleman he is. For me, together with Ayrton, the best in history (And Alonso can be the third in such "club").

I couldn't agree more. This is exactly what I dislike about Alonso. He lacks class, style and gentlemanlike behaviour.
    He lacks what you refer to as "behaviour of a champion" and "moderate behaviour".
    Good post, Byron! I'm happy to see that you can be Spanish without being blinded by patriotism at the same time

There IS a god.

Dr. William:

I'm 200% Spanish, but I also LOVE UK, Italy, Germany, USA, China, Russia, etc. Including Denmark (As once said, my partner - a great person-is from Denmark)....but I feel that races have nothing to do with patriotism.

This should be a sport....and traditionally, a Gentlemen's sport. It should remain like this. Let me say it again, today Shumi was a gentleman. As JC Fisi.

But please don't be blind: Alonso is a GREAT pilot, and I agree with you that without the crash Dr. Shumi would win the race (Thus champion again)....but (I don't remember now, and I don't care) Alonso has made many memorable battles in the track....The same as Shumi...two winners...

Still, I don't feel happy....I can remember Michael's face....

Touchig, snif, snif... but Alonso is going to be world Champion again, for the second time in a row, at the youngest age ever in F1, so there goes your "luck" argument or any other denials,, face the facts and bow to the CHAMPION!
    Like I asked you last year, need a tissue?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753076 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258591 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255454 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79501 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868307 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801859 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM