Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

atomic80:

Oh right....I'm not really a regular anymore so I had forgotten about noone1.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions. :)

Smiley Smiley  

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Even apias was entitled his opinion although as time passes by, I think he was part of the vast Clinton camp in to infiltrate websites where you could participate and comment, influence people... He vanished the week of the election and never posted anything about cars. Since we have banned politics the problem wont happen again but we should all learn to be careful with people with a vast non car agenda on a car forum.

Carlos from Spain:
    atomic80:

Sorry it's not to your liking. Others seems to like my photos. :)

It's noone1, nevermind, he never has anything good to say about anything, he is our resident angrycat indecision

Try to shoot a black McLaren and we'll talk again... SmileySmiley

The farmer:

Must give Whoopsy some cred for his taste. Great looking car!kiss (exempt from the front plate that really sucks.... I use a "sticker" version that is smaller and aligned with the bumper. Not legal, but looks legal, so no worriesblush)

FYI, I just learnt that here where I live, the Police REALLY HATE a sticker version of a plate. So if they caught someone using one, they can be charged with forging an official government 'document'. 

A much worse offence than just a fine for missing a front plate.

--

Crushed blacks are crushed blacks. It is what it is. High contrast scenes (black cars on sunny backgrounds) are not easy to shoot and most likely cannot be accomplished with a single exposure without additional lighting or editing levels in post.

Whoopsy:
    The farmer:

Must give Whoopsy some cred for his taste. Great looking car!kiss (exempt from the front plate that really sucks.... I use a "sticker" version that is smaller and aligned with the bumper. Not legal, but looks legal, so no worriesblush)

FYI, I just learnt that here where I live, the Police REALLY HATE a sticker version of a plate. So if they caught someone using one, they can be charged with forging an official government 'document'. 

Funny: Same in Germany but the "trick" to avoid this, is very simple. You just need to use the sticker plate without the official "stamps". No "stamps", no forgery. Thus you only get a fine (and if the police officer really hates you, your car gets impounded and/or you have to walk).

There was a guy in Germany, a well known business man, who ignored this and added the stamps to the sticker plate. His fine was 150000 EUR...ouch.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Boyko23:
    Carlos from Spain:
    atomic80:

Sorry it's not to your liking. Others seems to like my photos. :)

It's noone1, nevermind, he never has anything good to say about anything, he is our resident angrycat indecision

Try to shoot a black McLaren and we'll talk again... SmileySmiley

--

Great PicsSmileySmileySmiley...I have a black 911 and know how difficult it is to take pictures of it. 

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

Whoopsy:
    The farmer:

Ok Nick, understand your choice nowSmileySmiley 

Easier here in Sweden, becourse we are actually not having that much manpower in our police force now a days. The force used to be about 50% compared to EU standard (don't now about Canada or US, but guess you don't have less than EU standardSmiley), but with low salaries, gangs, "nem swedes" shooting and a political forced reorganization, the policemen/women is leaving the force in a pace higher than the police academy can produce new "sheriffs"...Smiley Not much time for the remains to hassle me about a stickerSmileySmiley

Just a fantastic looking car!!!

noone1:

What, we can only tell Bluelines his photos are so-so?

Meh! Meh! Meeeh! Meh! Meh! Meeeeeh! Meh! Meh! Meeeh! Mmmeeeh!!!

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    noone1:

Smiley

--

atomic80:

Oh right....I'm not really a regular anymore so I had forgotten about noone1.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions. :)

indeed. 

Thanks for the awesome pics ! new wallpaper material ! 

Take the plate off for pictures?  Register your car in Kansas. Never need a front plate in Canada again. 

bluelines:
    noone1:

Little correction: Your (bluelines) photos were great, just a little bit over-processed. Nothing to be ashamed of.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Re the lack of police doing traffic enforcement, it is actually quite an interesting topic. In Europe it would seem the police are increasingly having to focus on other things ( Islamic terrorism, continually increasing crime from immigrant or transitory populations, etc [not a political statement, just the reality of the new Europe!]) and this seems anecdotally at least to be decreasing the police presence on the road. A week ago I drove from London to southern Switzerland in my 993 4S, about 11 hours of driving, and did not see a single police car on the way. I am ok with the no police cars btw and I must say the French auto routes are just wonderfully well sited and not busy at all so as long as you are reasonably watchful, you can keep speeds up at levels which gets you on an average basis above parts of Germany.

Whoopsy:
    The farmer:

just drill the damn bumper Smiley

if you feel sad doing it, then just get a technician to do it while you are half drunk joking with friends on the side, it will numb your sad feeling Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

996FourEss:

Re the lack of police doing traffic enforcement, it is actually quite an interesting topic. In Europe it would seem the police are increasingly having to focus on other things ( Islamic terrorism, continually increasing crime from immigrant or transitory populations, etc [not a political statement, just the reality of the new Europe!]) and this seems anecdotally at least to be decreasing the police presence on the road. A week ago I drove from London to southern Switzerland in my 993 4S, about 11 hours of driving, and did not see a single police car on the way. I am ok with the no police cars btw and I must say the French auto routes are just wonderfully well sited and not busy at all so as long as you are reasonably watchful, you can keep speeds up at levels which gets you on an average basis above parts of Germany.

I think you are wrong, you were just lucky. Speed controls have increased (at least in Germany) because private companies are permitted to do that as well and they make a lot of money off it. Be careful!

Also, there is a lot of unmarked police around...the fact that you didn't notice them doesn't mean they aren't around.

I got stopped twice by unmarked police cars in the past three months... Luckily, first time he couldn't prove anything and second time, they were mistaken (they thought I made some mods to my exhaust system but luckily, one of them was specialized on Audi R8...no kidding...he had some sort of "playbook" how to spot a modded exhaust system).

--

Europe sounds like a horrible place to drive or own a car.  I need to take a video of the drive to the lake on my Ozark roads.  The are like a roller coaster with no traffic and fewer cops.  Going the speed limit in some turns is insane. Having spent plenty of time in Austria and other part of Europe I know the scenery is not the same but the driving here is excellent.  Not been pulled over in years and no tickets in 30 years and you can assume I take no prisoners when I drive the Turbo. 

Leawood911:

Europe sounds like a horrible place to drive or own a car.  I need to take a video of the drive to the lake on my Ozark roads.  The are like a roller coaster with no traffic and fewer cops.  Going the speed limit in some turns is insane. Having spent plenty of time in Austria and other part of Europe I know the scenery is not the same but the driving here is excellent.  Not been pulled over in years and no tickets in 30 years and you can assume I take no prisoners when I drive the Turbo. 

I don't think so. If you know where to drive, how to spot speed traps and if you are reasonable (doing 200 kph on a country road is just dumb, not only from a getting caught perspective). To enjoy my car(s) on public roads, I am looking for deserted country roads with free visibility (not a friend of many trees along the road) and many many curves. On some of my favorite routes, it is a challenge to actually hit 100 kph because the straights aren't long enough. Smiley

In Austria, there are some very nice mountain roads you can enjoy. Same thing here, you do not have to break the law (at least not excessively Smiley) to enjoy the drive. 

Autobahn? Autobahn driving is seldom fun for me. Actually only when I am really in a hurry (Autobahn has the benefit of bringing me fast from A to B).

Hit 315 kph on the Autobahn last Saturday (we had around 32°C) when suddenly a warning and a loud sound appeared..."pressure loss in the left front tire". At 315 kph in a curve...real fun. Luckily, everything was OK. Apparently a malfunction of the tire sensor but it scared the sh.t out of me. No, not a fan of the Autobahn. Too stressful. Smiley

--

Private companies are allowed to write speeding tickets or just manage fixed speed cameras? I can't speak for Germany but it seems to me that there are a lot less French traffic police then there used to be. Did Zurich to Reims today and again not a whif! Cameras are sign posted (if you see a warning sign there is always a camera in the next km or so), and if you are vigilant you can see any mobile traps so it is pretty feasible to sit at 30 - 50 km/h over on the autoroutes which also tend to be not that dull!

Targa Tim:
    Whoopsy:
    The farmer:

if you feel sad doing it, then just get a technician to do it while you are half drunk joking with friends on the side, it will numb your sad feeling Smiley

For the price of a new bumper, I can afford to pay a no plate ticket each month for the next 35 years Smiley

--

996FourEss:

Private companies are allowed to write speeding tickets or just manage fixed speed cameras?

Private companies are allowed to operate(!) mobile speed traps. They do not write the speeding tickets, they just deliver the data to the authorities.

I can't speak for Germany but it seems to me that there are a lot less French traffic police then there used to be. Did Zurich to Reims today and again not a whif! Cameras are sign posted (if you see a warning sign there is always a camera in the next km or so), and if you are vigilant you can see any mobile traps so it is pretty feasible to sit at 30 - 50 km/h over on the autoroutes which also tend to be not that dull!

I cannot speak for France but I think you were just lucky (like I was while doing Munich - Nizza in 6 hours or so...or was it 4 1/2? Smiley  Smiley).

--

Whoopsy:
    Targa Tim:
    Whoopsy:
    The farmer:

For the price of a new bumper, I can afford to pay a no plate ticket each month for the next 35 years Smiley

I see quite a few cars on the island with sticker plates...

BTW, beautiful R and pix, basic black I assume? 

If someone wants a 918...the speedo says only 20 km. It was wonderful

IMG_9874.JPG

IMG_9872.JPG

IMG_9870.JPG

IMG_9869.JPG

Nacelle1:
    Whoopsy:
    Targa Tim:
    Whoopsy:
    The farmer:

I see quite a few cars on the island with sticker plates...

BTW, beautiful R and pix, basic black I assume? 

Jet black, non-metallic.

--

Enzo II:

If someone wants a 918...the speedo says only 20 km. It was wonderful

IMG_9874.JPG

IMG_9872.JPG

IMG_9870.JPG

IMG_9869.JPG

At 20 km I am assuming it has been through all the repairs and updates that whoopsy's 918 has suffered.   The parts have moved more than the car. 

I want one but my bank account (and my wife) say no. yes

--

Is the only one that came here. And I don't think they would sell it for less than 1.5

918 is definitely very desirable, but the cost of it can buy you a lot of other very nice cars...and real estates...

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM