Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Front boot: how to stop damage from contents?

When using the front boot in a 997, based on your experience, how do you prevent damage to the contents and to the boot lid and what things should one bear in mind?

E.g. driving fast over a slightly bumpier road? Has anyone had some internal damage?

You can tell this is my first 911....grateful for your advice...

Re: Front boot: how to stop damage from contents?

If you're concerned here's a link to a porsche trunk liner & organiser product....I have one, it takes about 1 min to install

http://www.dasschild.com/default.htm

I use my front 'boot' all the time without any problems. When it is loaded with luggage, I make sure that what is on top is soft and that there is minimal amount of clearance. So far there has been no issues.

You can buy small luggage nets from your Mercedes dealer - about 20 inches by 8 inches (C class passneger footwell net).
    Only costs about $20

This can be attached to the vertical front 'wall' to retain small items such as a first aid kit, or loose items.

I also put other loose items into the plastic store bins of the bulkhead, but then i don;t have the CD changer or navigation taking up space there.

Got pics of the footwell net?

My Das Schild:

Why do you need that shield??

It helps reduce the possibility of denting the hood from the inside out with boot cargo. Apparently this can happen on all 911s fairl easily. In my case, I carry a collapsible spare and some tools up front so I wanted the extra protection.

Coochas - is that a spare wheel/tyre you have in your boot ? Is it Porsche OEM and fitted - what size is the spare plz ? Thanks...

Hi 360...
    Yep, that's one of the OEM spares. I have all the info in a thread I posted on Rennlist: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=279371&highlight=spare+tire

Quote:
    Coochas said:
    It helps reduce the possibility of denting the hood from the inside out with boot cargo. Apparently this can happen on all 911s fairly easily. In my case, I carry a collapsible spare and some tools up front so I wanted the extra protection.

With all due respect, for normal stuff one puts in the trunk - luggage and such, I think that liner is overkill. I have never seen a 911 from 63 till today with a dented front hood, caused by something inside the trunk, unless one over stuffs the trunk and forces closure. In your case, with an unbolted spare in there that is a different matter. I would not drive with one like that, as I suspect lateral mass motion can upset the car balance, but you decide. While others lighten up doors and hoods (like the 997TT Al hood/doors) you are adding extra weight to the hood.

One question: Now that you have a collapsible spare, where do you think you are going to store a punctured tire/wheel if you decide to replace it with that spare? A 19" tire-fitted wheel will not fit in the trunk or inside the car. Or do you run 18" or 17" wheels?

Quote:
    Weasel said:
    Got pics of the footwell net?

was hoping you wouldn't ask - i did hae pics of it installed in my old 986, but can't find them now

Part number was Part No. B6 765 0000 Pounds8.25 or about $15, includes all fittings.

Dave thats awesome, never seen that before for protection
    Hey, now that you have a spare, you wont ever get a flat...Right? lol ;-)

Quote:
    ADias said:
    One question: Now that you have a collapsible spare, where do you think you are going to store a punctured tire/wheel if you decide to replace it with that spare? A 19" tire-fitted wheel will not fit in the trunk or inside the car. Or do you run 18" or 17" wheels?

Do you know that for a fact or is it speculation? I have basically the same kit as Dave but must confess that I have not tried fitting a flat 19 inch 305mm into the car yet. I just assumed it would go in the rear one way or another.

Quote:
    snarf said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:

Do you know that for a fact or is it speculation? I have basically the same kit as Dave but must confess that I have not tried fitting a flat 19 inch 305mm into the car yet. I just assumed it would go in the rear one way or another.

My dealer told me it would not fit. I assume he meant the rear seat area. It may fit on the front seat - but I can see many situations where that would be impractical.

A possible solution might be to attach it to a roof system if PAG could design some roof rails that could be stowed in the car somehow.

I know that a FLAT rear wheel/tire from a 99 986 will fit in the front boot of the 986, but the REPAIRED one won't.

From personal experience.

Don't know about 997/987. The front trunk is smaller.

And I've never noticed any problem with denting the lid due to luggage. The same problem would occur in the (normal) rear boot of a (normal) car as well, and I've never noticed that, either.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Coochas said:
    It helps reduce the possibility of denting the hood from the inside out with boot cargo. Apparently this can happen on all 911s fairly easily. In my case, I carry a collapsible spare and some tools up front so I wanted the extra protection.

With all due respect, for normal stuff one puts in the trunk - luggage and such, I think that liner is overkill. I have never seen a 911 from 63 till today with a dented front hood, caused by something inside the trunk, unless one over stuffs the trunk and forces closure. In your case, with an unbolted spare in there that is a different matter. I would not drive with one like that, as I suspect lateral mass motion can upset the car balance, but you decide. While others lighten up doors and hoods (like the 997TT Al hood/doors) you are adding extra weight to the hood.

You obviously haven't seen a Das Schild in person...it probably weighs about a pound. My hood can live with that extra weight. It's made of plastic and is about 1.5 mm thick.
    As for lateral motion, the spare is always dead center when I open the boot,...I kind of doubt it magically shifts back to the center position...i.e. there's no friggin way the thing moves around.
    Also, a 305 tire will just barely get into the back seat of a C4S with the passenger seat slid all the way forward for loading - this has been proven by a number of people on various forums.
    Some people (such as myself), prefer the security of having something other than fix-a-flat and 1-800-Porsche. I am presently in the midst of a long vacay road trip in rural Vermont...I'm happy to have this option....and I've been having a blast the past few days both on and off-road.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Coochas said:

With respect to your comment about denting a hood--never observed since 1963--the 997 hood is now aluminum. That is new with the 997s. You have to be that much more careful. The plastic liner is VERY light,--and will not impact the hood strut's effort in the slightest. I put one in my trunk because of the aluminum hoods.

Dan

Dan:

The 997 TT has an aluminum hood, but I think that the 997s does not. In any case, I would not worry about the hood. People dent the hood from the inside when they overstuff the trunk and force-close the hood. Besides, it escapes me how a thin plastic liner will act as a significant shield, should some pointed object press from within.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Dan:

The 997 TT has an aluminum hood, but I think that the 997s does not. In any case, I would not worry about the hood. People dent the hood from the inside when they overstuff the trunk and force-close the hood. Besides, it escapes me how a thin plastic liner will act as a significant shield, should some pointed object press from within.

Sounds like famous last words to me.
    How does that old saying go - prevention is better than cure.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Dan:

The 997 TT has an aluminum hood, but I think that the 997s does not.

997 hoods are aluminum as well.

Actually, only the 997TT and I believe the GT3/RS have aluminum hoods/doors. The rest are all steel.

Just to set the record straight, all the 997 bodies have aluminum hoods. The 997T also has aluminum doors.

Dan

Ah, okay thanks for clearing things up, Dan. Is it just the portion that opens or the entire front end that's aluminum?

Quote:
    Dan L said:
    Just to set the record straight, all the 997 bodies have aluminum hoods. The 997T also has aluminum doors.

Dan

Thanks Dan for clarifying that. But on the topic of a soft plastic inner shield... do you really think that shield will protect anything? A shield only protects the hood if the shield is more rigid and less deformable than the hood itself, not the other way around, it seems to me.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Dan:

The dents (from the inside) have happened not just because people "overstuff" the trunk but the oppposite. People will put a hard item in there without securing it and when you hit a really bad bump in the road(granted it has to be a severe bump) it's possible the item in the trunk can fly up and hit the hood causing damage. I have seen it happen. Or if you put something hard in there like a folding beachchair that is only an inch or 2 from the hood it can shift or bounce also damaging the hood. The shield is designed to prevent a direct hit onto the unprotected metal. I don't have one now but will get one when I buy my next Porsche. For now I make sure everything that would be capable of causing damage is stored in a soft carry bag instead. As w/ the case of carrying a beach chair which I often do, I put 2 or 3 beach towels on top, wrapping the chair which kinda secures it, limiting it's motion and potential to bang the inside of the hood.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:...I make sure everything that would be capable of causing damage is stored in a soft carry bag instead. As w/ the case of carrying a beach chair which I often do, I put 2 or 3 beach towels on top, wrapping the chair which kinda secures it, limiting it's motion and potential to bang the inside of the hood.

Of course... that is just common sense. On the plastic shield though... I think it is useless. You still need to pack with common sense.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Ah, okay thanks for clearing things up, Dan. Is it just the portion that opens or the entire front end that's aluminum?

Just the "bonnet!"

Of course, careful packing is the most important rule first of all. The shield gives some degree of protect, costs little, and weights virtually nothing.

And if you bend your 997 hood,--go find a 68 Ghia hood for a replacement!

Dan

Thanks guys - yes, careful packing is the biggest protection of all.

My wife and I use our new 997S to do the weekly grocery shopping at our local supermarket. It's amazing - everything fits so easily! We shop systematically though - at the checkout in the grocery store, we put harder items on the conveyor belt first before soft items. The harder items get packed together first then the softer ones. When we load the front boot, the harder items go in first to form a bottom layer then the softer stuff goes in on top. Easy!

The best thing I love about having a tall but narrow front boot is that I can still corner quickly even with a full week's food in the front boot! With a wide boot, I used to have to take corners so slowly and carefully to stop grocery bags from falling over and emptying their contents all over the boot. Bliss!

It makes me laugh to look at our local Tesco supermarket car park. Families parking their MPVs (people carriers) and 4x4s (SUVs) and in amongst them is this cute little GT Silver and Cocoa 997S!

You should see the looks we get when people see us loading grocery bags into the front boot - where they expect the engine to be! You'd think that after 43 years making the 911, people would know by now that the engine is in the back!

Damn - I thought the one in the back was a spare.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777237 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441702 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262780 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260956 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85224 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5571 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880656 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815959 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM