Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Distance yourself from the Cayman S.

Quote from the 997 board.

"I dont really need satellite radio, bluetooth, and believe a 911 should be a stick, having said that i am sure the refresh will not disappoint anyone. I really wanted the extra 20 horsepower their predicting, After reading all the posts I realized its not all about the horsepower, but you do want to distance yourself from the Cayman S."

Is their a slight rift between the 911 owner and the Cayman S owner?
    Does the 911 feel a little threatened by the Cayman S?

Does the Ferrari Enzo owner want to distance himself from the F430 owner?

Re: Distance yourself from the Cayman S.

lets face it: there is a slight "snob" effect which helps structure a product range. BMW: 3 and 5 series: there isnt THAT much difference. So i guess yes, a 911 owner wants to distance himself from a Cayman S, and a Cayman S owner want to distance himself from a Boxter and so the list goes on..

Quote:
    mlin said:

I'd say there are SOME Carrera owners who will look down on a Cayman or a Boxster, but hey - you're not obliged to look up to these guys
    Like Nick said - it's not a specific Porsche thing. How many people are looking down on colleagues, just because they earn less (or looking down on their neighbours, because their house is smaller) - to me these snobs may have a rich bank account, but a poor mind
    Unfortunately this kind of poor thinking is widely spread especially when it comes to cars, as lot of people see their car as a status statement. For example due to the corporate car policy in the enterprise I'm working with, I could choose a bigger car, but I always take a smaller one because I just love the better agility of smaller cars. You can't imagine how much weird discussions have been triggered by my choice (does this guy have a problem ? what kind of statement does he wants to express by his car choice and so on...blablabla).
    Having said that my impression is that most (certainly not all) Rennteamers belong to the enthusiast camp, not the snob camp. Those who choose a Carrera over a Cayman (and vice versa) made their individual choice based on various good reasons (including but not limited to the $$$ question).
    I for one are happy everytime I see another Porsche on the road (whatever model or MY it may be) and it never comes to my mind to either look up or down on them.
    Bottom line: enjoy your Porsche, make friends with the enthusiasts and ignore the snobs and posers

I'be been snubbed by 2 911 owners recently while merging into traffic - both were rude and arrogant. Old 911's as well. Maybe they don't like the Box either! Drove a 997 for a week and got waves from loads of other 911's!!

Quote:
    Steve R said:
    I'be been snubbed by 2 911 owners recently while merging into traffic - both were rude and arrogant. Old 911's as well. Maybe they don't like the Box either! Drove a 997 for a week and got waves from loads of other 911's!!

I always wave to Caymans, Boxsters, 914's, 944's, etc. I've even grundgingly waved at Cayennes

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Steve R said:

I always wave to Caymans, Boxsters, 914's, 944's, etc. I've even grundgingly waved at Cayennes

Ditto....Porsches are Porsches.

I suppose you have enthusiasts and then people who buy Porsches as a status symbol.

I'm not sure if I would wave at a Cayenne - they wouldn't see me from down in my Box

I don't wave at Cayenne, most of them would not understand :-)
    Wave at everything else, with more enthusias towards the "oldies" :-)

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:

I'd say there are SOME Carrera owners who will look down on a Cayman or a Boxster, but hey - you're not obliged to look up to these guys
    Like Nick said - it's not a specific Porsche thing. How many people are looking down on colleagues, just because they earn less (or looking down on their neighbours, because their house is smaller) - to me these snobs may have a rich bank account, but a poor mind
    Unfortunately this kind of poor thinking is widely spread especially when it comes to cars, as lot of people see their car as a status statement. For example due to the corporate car policy in the enterprise I'm working with, I could choose a bigger car, but I always take a smaller one because I just love the better agility of smaller cars. You can't imagine how much weird discussions have been triggered by my choice (does this guy have a problem ? what kind of statement does he wants to express by his car choice and so on...blablabla).
    Having said that my impression is that most (certainly not all) Rennteamers belong to the enthusiast camp, not the snob camp. Those who choose a Carrera over a Cayman (and vice versa) made their individual choice based on various good reasons (including but not limited to the $$$ question).
    I for one are happy everytime I see another Porsche on the road (whatever model or MY it may be) and it never comes to my mind to either look up or down on them.
    Bottom line: enjoy your Porsche, make friends with the enthusiasts and ignore the snobs and posers

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    mlin said:

A Carrera owner should NEVER look down on a Cayman S, that's reserved for us 997TT owners. JK. Porsche is having a bit of trouble moving the Cayman S's because it is too close in $ to the 911s, hence the push for the non S Cayman. The Cayman S may have less power than the 997s, but handles noticeably better. I can't wait to try the six speed Cayman S in the coming weeks when the part for my shock tower comes in.
    I may be taking a Cayman GTR (3.8, X51, etc, etc.) out for a test ride next week. This should be very interesting because the hp/weight is just slightly less that the 997TT. Can you say Carrera Killer? Pics and a full report will follow.
    BTW, I always give a to any Porsche owner I meet up with on the highway. I may downshift and rocket away after though.

As a Boxster owner I hope I'm not offending anyone by an occasional "lurk" on the Boxster Coupe board. I am a little surprised that some would "look down" on those that don't own a 911. The simple fact is with what I spent on my new 987S, I could have bought a very nice low mileage 911. But for me, the Boxster was the better fit. My preference is for a mid-engine car versus a rear engine car. Being a ragtop person, the Cayman was of no interest to me. I think that a fair percentage of the people who buy models other than the 911, are similar to me. They could afford a 911, even if it was a used one, but for whatever reason(s) selected another model. I'd like to think that any real "car person" would not be so superficial as to "look down" on non-911 owners. After all, it's all about fun in my book. So, "can't we all just get along."

Had a Boxster for 7 years, loved it, upgraded to a C2S Cab, love it too, they're all great cars.

Exactly I agree 100% with Porsche-Jeck.

I feel sad when I come across people who regard themselves as being superior in some way. Often, they have formed this view based on a brief, superficial understanding of another person, their background, their property etc.

If a 911 owner is arrogant enough to look down on a Boxster or Cayman owner, I feel sorry for such a person who lacks humility. If their behaviour was justifiable, then they should hide from the owner of a Carrera GT out of pure shame!

On an analogous subject, I travel to the US on vacation every now and then. I really love visiting the US. Anyway, on one such visit I was in New York City walking along Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. I walked into Bergdorf Goodman and a member of staff started looking at me almost as if to question why I was there. (I was actually looking for a new pair of gloves for my wife). I was dressed just normally in a T-shirt and jeans. (I am quite dark skinned since my parents originate from India. I myself was born and raised in the UK). For some reason, this sales assistant looked at me disapprovingly and then came up to me and simply said "We have CCTV in this store". I was shocked. After a moment, I said "How dare you address me like that! Do you judge all your customers by how they look?" He realised the moment I opened my mouth and started talking in a British accent that he had got it badly wrong. He started apologising profusely. I didn't feel like buying anything there after that.

But it made me think, even if I were a person with the kind of background he had assumed me to have, that wouldn't at all excuse his behaviour. What kind of person would make so many ill-judged assumptions about another person just based on their appearance?

It never happens to me in London. It's just a much more tolerant, genuinely multi-cultural, cosmopolitan place. I had some similar experiences in Barcelona when I was there in February. Catalan people who thought it was okay to be impolite to me because they thought I was Indian.

I've had people in New York cross to the other side of the street from me because they thought I was of Hispanic origin and that somehow I looked 'unsafe'.

The funniest story was when I visited the NY Criminal Courts in Manhattan. I walked in (again wearing jeans and a T-shirt) and a middle-aged white woman at the reception looked at me and asked if I was there to attend before the court. I explained that I was an attorney from London and that I just wanted to sit in on a case or two just to see proceedings in the NY courts purely out of professional interest. Her whole demeanour towards me changed. I laughed about it on my way back home but there's a serious lesson to be drawn from it. We shouldn't judge others by their looks, their wallet, their clothes, their homes or anything else that is superficial. Education and life experience is what teaches people this.

I guess I now think twice about wearing jeans and a T-shirt!

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    We shouldn't judge others by their

Yet we do due to a combination of nature and nurture. Too much or too little judging seems to get us in trouble whereas striving for a sensible balance might be the key.

This is my quote which you have conviently taken out of context.

I did say that one does want to distance themselves from a Cayman S when buying a 997 but I was only referring to the difference in horsepower. I think it is reasonable to assume that when the Cayman S appeared Porsche gave it a better horsepower/$ ratio than the 911.

My statement was in the context of whether to purchase a 997 now or wait for the refresh, I decide to go ahead and purchase a car now.

Now you have used this quote and tried to label 911 owners as snobs and posers.

Listen you should be happy with your car and not care what anybody else thinks. If you are looking at performance versus money you should be satified that you're probably getting a better deal for your money than a 911 owner on a strict performance/horsepower/$ ratio.

Even Porsche knows this just as marketing strategy they will have to increase the horsepower of the 911 to create an appreciable difference in the product lines and to also justify the price difference, as well as not to affect the sales of each model.

I have driven the Cayman S, its a great car to drive its just not the car for me. Now that the Boxter has the same horspower rating and is $5000 cheaper its actually the better deal, but it also is not the car for me.

So to the person who started this forum, RELAX and don't be so sensitive and enjoy your ride.

Different people have different reasons for purchasing the car they have, please don't generalize or read into things that are simply not there.

Forum - a public meeting place for open discussion or voicing of ideas.
    I'm relaxed and do enjoy my ride thanks. Sincerely hope you enjoy yours.

Quote:
    mlin said:
    Forum - a public meeting place for open discussion or voicing of ideas.
    I'm relaxed and do enjoy my ride thanks. Sincerely hope you enjoy yours.

I love giving a wave to every P-car from young to old. My experience here in Germany/Luxembourg region is 50/50 so far with people waving or smiling back. Had a GT2 actually wave me first one day, hey a 25 yr old military guy in someone else's country it was a treat to have a local acknowledge

Having owned a Boxster and a 911, I don't think 911 owners want to distance themselves from the Cayman. But they feel threatened by the small hp difference. The 911/911S needed 30 more hp yesterday (ie 350/380), the debate would then be a moot point.

As a 997 C2S owner, I would love to get the Cayman... if I can afford more cars!!!

I just want to let the people on this forum know that not all 911 owners are snobs. When I was in the market for a 911, I drove all Porsches from the Boxster, Cayman, 997, 997S, and the 996TT. I just wanted a Porsche with the "best" feel. All I can say is Kudos to Porsche for building such great machinery. I ended up deciding between a Cayman S and a 997S. I ended up choosing the 997S because I've always wanted one. The Cayman had better initial turn in and agility, but I loved the interaction between driver and car and powering out of turns in the 997S . I always try to wave hi to another fellow Porsche owner no matter what they drive, but I do notice that there are Porsche snobs out there. Too bad for them I say. I just think to myself that maybe they just bought the car because they can afford it, whereas I bought my car because I WANTED it and am just fulfulling a dream.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    Steve R said:

Any Porsche owner is a lucky owner. Need to stick together with Ferrari and Aston Martin knocking on the door

I had a Boxter S and now a 997 C2S. Both cars are different and fun to drive in their own ways. I considered keeping both. The Boxter S was a blast to drive but a bit of a weekend car for my wife an myself. I haven't had a go in a Cayman but it looks a great car.

These last 2 posts have been on the the best so far. Share the spirit!

I wave at everyone.

Quote:
    Tour18 said:
    I wave at everyone.

Funny!

I'm intrigued with the Cayman. It took a little while to get used to the look but I'd buy one if I could fit in the thing...then put one of those aero kits on it.

I wave to guys driving Caymans when I see one.

I even wave to the girls in Boxters. Sorry...couldn't resist. I am truly only kidding.

The "problem" isn't the Cayman itself, it is a great car and definetely a true Porsche, same with the Boxster.
    The Cayman S is more Porsche than the Cayenne and this comes from a Cayenne owner.

So why do so many people have "issues" with the Cayman? The answer isn't too easy but I try to explain it from my point of view over here in Germany.

In my opinion, the Cayman product placement, marketing-wise, was a mistake.
    First, Porsche shouldn't have named the Cayman CAYMAN but Boxster Coupe or even Boxster RS.
    Second, Porsche shouldn't have placed, price-wise, the "Cayman" above the Boxster. The price tag should have been the same or even a tad lower.
    Then, the whole engine thing 15 HP more than in the Boxster S, ridiculous. Now the engine power is even the same.

With the right name and the right price, the Cayman would have been a success in Germany. Right now, people over here think of it more as of as 911-wannabee or some sort of "foreign object". You guys may not realize it because people are kind and nice and don't always tell others what they truely think or in your country, the Cayman is a success.

So how does the future of the Cayman look alike? I don't know. I just hope that Porsche corrects a few mistakes they made, I'm not sure however that it is going to be that easy. With the change to the next generation Boxster, the Cayman may just disappear and the Boxster Coupe may arise from the ashes. I just hope Porsche is clever enough to do that. For the same price tag as the Boxster.

Finally a word regarding power: Porsche should definetely overcome the 911-power thingie and offer more power in the Boxster. If this is a problem for marketing, give the 911 more power and then add some more horses to the Boxster too.
    330 HP in the Boxster or Cayman wouldn't "hurt" anybody, not even 911 sales in my opinion.

Please don't take this post as a provocation, I just told you what we're discussing among fellow Porschephiles over here in Germany. Since I also own a Cayenne Turbo and since my wife drives a Boxster S (which I drive too from time to time), I don't think I'm a 911 lover only.

RC, I think your comments are pretty spot on..

Quote:
    RC said:

With the right name and the right price, the Cayman would have been a success in Germany. Right now, people over here think of it more as of as 911-wannabee or some sort of "foreign object". You guys may not realize it because people are kind and nice and don't always tell others what they truely think or in your country, the Cayman is a success.

... If this is a problem for marketing, give the 911 more power and then add some more horses to the Boxster too.
    330 HP in the Boxster or Cayman wouldn't "hurt" anybody, not even 911 sales in my opinion.

Please don't take this post as a provocation, I just told you what we're discussing among fellow Porschephiles over here in Germany.

Where does Porsche make its money? German or the US? Who are they targeting sales at?

Unfortunately, your looking at it from inside a box and maybe not the entire sales pictures. In the US it seems to be a success. Sure, some people whine over the price but hey, its a couple of thousand here ... just enuff for people to whine but not enuff to make any real difference.

Why are twice as many Caymans sold than Boxsters?

I would agree about the HP thing but WHY does the 997 have to have more power ... I think just about everyone knows that given the 997S engine, the 997 would be in big trouble. What will the 998 or 999 look like? Mid-engined?

I think maybe if you look at the bigger picture of where Porsche makes its money ... it may be a different story.

The fact that the German 997 owners look down on the Cayman means absolutely nothing to owners on this side of the pond

Just curious but where do you get the figures that twice as many Caymans are sold as Boxsters? That doesn't sound quite right.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777297 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441721 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262788 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260963 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85233 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5582 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880660 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815978 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM