Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi says its sensational R8 will win..

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Typical Euro car...overweight, underpowered, and most unfortunately way overpriced. Interesting how all these companies keep going after the same group of people ($85k-120k 911 buyer).

nicely said

This portion of the market in my opinion is already flooded with too many choices. First off, you are going after a group of buyers that are as dedicated to their Porsche as a body guard to Osama Bin Ladin. Why can't a Euro manufacturer make an honest 400hp sports car for $55k. They couldn't keep up with production, it would sell more in the first year than 911's are sold in 5 years. They make tens of thousands of Corvettes in the US every year that meets this criteria and no one wants a peice of that market?

No, they spend all this money to get maybe 25%-35% (at best) of an already small nitch deidicated market. As stated above, leave the Porsche fans alone and let them continue paying $85k+ for their 911's. Why don't you build us a 400hp sports car and slap the competition directly in the face with a kick @ss car at a realistic price! The world doesn't need another $100k car.

As a very discerning sports car buyer, looking in the $55k range, I still have no other choice for a REAL performance car other than a Corvette. I need some real choices, not bedroom poster cars.

You could buy a Boxster S. Sure it doesn't have the HP you want, but it still is great to drive and handles great.

The problem with building what you want is that you can't do it with the quality standards the european brands want to meet.

Imagine they build a low quality car, even if it is only one model in their whole lineup, the reputation would tarnish the whole company. Not good.

Of course GM doesn't have a reputation for quality, so they don't care, and actually going solely after performance is the only choice they have.

Looks like they are building the perfect car for you, but don't expect all other manufacturers to do the same.

400hp at 55K? I suspect the margins will not resemble Louis Vuitton's.

The new M3 should fall somewhat closer to that realm. I believe the thought is... Why sell two to make the same profit you can make from selling one?

I imagine this train of thought greatly benefits their service/warranties.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    You could buy a Boxster S. Sure it doesn't have the HP you want, but it still is great to drive and handles great.

The problem with building what you want is that you can't do it with the quality standards the european brands want to meet.

Imagine they build a low quality car, even if it is only one model in their whole lineup, the reputation would tarnish the whole company. Not good.

Of course GM doesn't have a reputation for quality, so they don't care, and actually going solely after performance is the only choice they have.

Looks like they are building the perfect car for you, but don't expect all other manufacturers to do the same.

LOL... so it looks like the Euros have pulled the wool over some of the buying public. Hey SciFrog... take a look at Mercedes track record and then get back to us with your kool-aid theories.

Sure MB had some issues, especially with the first generation ML. But seriously do you think EU manufacturers could actually sell any car in the US if they were not perceived as better quality, considering they are more expensive?

The pocketbook is always the last driving force.

No argument with the Big 3 and poor cars/quality...
    However... let's take a closer look at Toyota/Lexus.

See how many cars they can sell based on quality vehicles. Can they charge the same price as their European brethren? Absolutely not. Why? To be very blunt... there is less snob appeal. If you can afford something more exlusive then you will look to avenues less travelled.
    Are the Euros making cars with higher standards than the Japanese or Koreans? Nope.
    Ask yourself if you will ever buy a 100K Lexus or Toyota that will outperform the 997TT. If you answered NO, ask yourself if you will be able to use the same argument you have with GM & the Z06.
    Ironically it is those same Japanese that were hired by Porsche to fix their broken company and help it sell mass amounts of cars.

Porsche is using their past glory days in motorsports to make the current customer think they are getting something truly special. Sorry my friend... those days are over.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Boxster S is totally lame. I have driven one and they are nice car, and good around town, especially for pulling up to the night club, but for a REAL sports car enthusiast, it doesn't meet the taste test. I posted a video of me easily passing a Ferrari Challenge car on this forum, and you think a Boxster would make me happy. So, by this reasoning, I have to lower my performance standards by a magnatude of 10, to obtain a nicer interior by the order of maybe a 3?

Also, regarding quality, don't confuse fit and finish, with longevity or mechanical durability. Everyone I know with BMW has 10 times the amount of problems, that I have with my Corvette. Quality is important which is why I don't own a Euro car Does BMW, Porsche, Audi have a 100k mile warranty? I have never meet an Audi owner that hasn't complained about problems left and right.

With a little know how, a wrench, and a few thousand dollars, I paid less than $50k total for a car that will walk a 911TT on a road course. Obviously that is not the only criteria of buying a sports car, and HP is NOT everything. But I just can't walk into a dealership and pay $80k knowing the car I just traded in will decimate what I have just purchased.

I think the Japenese will be the first to challenge the US in this market, and if they are going to step up, then so be it! I guarantee they can make a car with a great interior and 400hp for around $55k.

I've driven many cars recently including the new Jaguar XK and Lotus Exige and not to mention the Caterham 7 at Silverstone last weekend. No car I have driven compares to a Porsche. I have been trying to find one and I just can't. The mid-engined layout of the Box is sublime, the 997 and 996 feel as close to perfection as you can get in a car. US cars are great for the US, here in the UK I wouldn't think they would compare around bends. Great looks, great performance but no comparison to a decent German or Italian sports car for handling. That's where it counts. Just my opinion!

Still wouldn't buy the Audi R8 - looks just like a posh TT

Quote:
    Steve R said:
    I've driven many cars recently including the new Jaguar XK and Lotus Exige and not to mention the Caterham 7 at Silverstone last weekend. No car I have driven compares to a Porsche. I have been trying to find one and I just can't. The mid-engined layout of the Box is sublime, the 997 and 996 feel as close to perfection as you can get in a car. US cars are great for the US, here in the UK I wouldn't think they would compare around bends. Great looks, great performance but no comparison to a decent German or Italian sports car for handling. That's where it counts. Just my opinion!

We all have our preferences and get "accustomed" to a certain feel. But fast is fast. Also, you assume that your 911 is faster around a turn than my Corvette and that is simply not the case. This is a standard case of being misinformed.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Steve R said:

We all have our preferences and get "accustomed" to a certain feel. But fast is fast. Also, you assume that your 911 is faster around a turn than my Corvette and that is simply not the case. This is a standard case of being misinformed.

I would wager my Boxster 987 is quicker round a corner.... Being mid-engined and faster than a 997 round a track - EVO Mag 2005!

Each to their own though and if we all liked the same thing life would be boring!

Quote:
    Steve R said:
    Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Steve R said:

I would wager my Boxster 987 is quicker round a corner.... Being mid-engined and faster than a 997 round a track - EVO Mag 2005!

Each to their own though and if we all liked the same thing life would be boring!

I have much footage of myself passing multiple ferrari's, 911GT3's, Porsche club race cars, tubbed 911's race cars and such. I know standard global marketing has tought you that your car is fast (around corners), and that not being the case is a hard pill to swallow, but the truth isn't always good news!

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

Boxster S is totally lame. I have driven one and they are nice car, and good around town, especially for pulling up to the night club, but for a REAL sports car enthusiast, it doesn't meet the taste test. I posted a video of me easily passing a Ferrari Challenge car on this forum, and you think a Boxster would make me happy. So, by this reasoning, I have to lower my performance standards by a magnatude of 10, to obtain a nicer interior by the order of maybe a 3?

Also, regarding quality, don't confuse fit and finish, with longevity or mechanical durability. Everyone I know with BMW has 10 times the amount of problems, that I have with my Corvette. Quality is important which is why I don't own a Euro car Does BMW, Porsche, Audi have a 100k mile warranty? I have never meet an Audi owner that hasn't complained about problems left and right.

With a little know how, a wrench, and a few thousand dollars, I paid less than $50k total for a car that will walk a 911TT on a road course. Obviously that is not the only criteria of buying a sports car, and HP is NOT everything. But I just can't walk into a dealership and pay $80k knowing the car I just traded in will decimate what I have just purchased.

I think the Japenese will be the first to challenge the US in this market, and if they are going to step up, then so be it! I guarantee they can make a car with a great interior and 400hp for around $55k.

I don't know what kind of Euro cars they sell in the US, but low quality? OK, BMW and Mercedes have had DRAMATIC reductions in quality in the last few years, but Audi? Our family has owned several, as do many of our friends and the cars seem to be bulletproof. As an example, the first Audi my father ever bought, a 1991 Audi 100 2.8E with aftermarket suspension and brakes, is still driving around happily. I had an opportunity to drive it a few months ago, upon meeting the current owner. The car still happily reaches its top speed, handles great and looks and feels as good as new. If that's not quality, I don't know what is.

It's not the marketing it's the driving. Used to be a marketing consultant so can see through the mire!

Any car will be fast given the right driver, maybe that's why you've passed the others. If it's on the road and not on the track it wouldn't be a fair comparison as nobody in their right mind would use these cars to their full performance there as I'm sure you would agree 95Jersey.

I have driven many cars, including quite a few US brands. I personally don't like the Porsche image, I've had a lot of problems with reliability but still adore the car and how it drives. I drove 152 miles today round trip from Edinburgh to the Highlands. There are no better roads I have ever experienced to test a car's handling. The car was phenomenal and the roads spectacular. If you can show me that a Corvette has the same sensation through the wheel and other controls, and that it can drive as my car drove today I would happily swap out. If the Lotus Exige S I drove 2 weeks ago can't get me out of the Porsche I don't know what can.

Check out JD Power. Do a compare on new cars (Z06, BMW 325, Audi A6, Land Rover) and see how they compare on quality. They Chevy ranks higher in all categories except interior fit and finish. This fits in line with everyone's perceived quality of Euro cars based on fit and finish, not necessarily true mechanical quality. I will put up an argument, but at least I will back it up with facts.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/compare.asp

Quote:
    Steve R said:
    It's not the marketing it's the driving. Used to be a marketing consultant so can see through the mire!

Any car will be fast given the right driver, maybe that's why you've passed the others. If it's on the road and not on the track it wouldn't be a fair comparison as nobody in their right mind would use these cars to their full performance there as I'm sure you would agree 95Jersey.

I have driven many cars, including quite a few US brands. I personally don't like the Porsche image, I've had a lot of problems with reliability but still adore the car and how it drives. I drove 152 miles today round trip from Edinburgh to the Highlands. There are no better roads I have ever experienced to test a car's handling. The car was phenomenal and the roads spectacular. If you can show me that a Corvette has the same sensation through the wheel and other controls, and that it can drive as my car drove today I would happily swap out. If the Lotus Exige S I drove 2 weeks ago can't get me out of the Porsche I don't know what can.

100% agree with you. Again, I love Porsches and have driven in and against too many to count. Actually, out of all the cars we talk about on this forum, I hold Porsche's and their drivers in the highest regards. I do pass many cars at the track, but will say the Porsche guys are generally the real deal compared to drivers of other marques. I am simply stating that the $50k market is being completely ignored by Euro Manufactueres, and are only providing 2nd hand me downs for sports cars.

Getting back to the point of the post, for a moment I though this could be the car that could change this stigma, but to my dissapointment, the song remains the same.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Check out JD Power. Do a compare on new cars (Z06, BMW 325, Audi A6, Land Rover) and see how they compare on quality. They Chevy ranks higher in all categories except interior fit and finish. This fits in line with everyone's perceived quality of Euro cars based on fit and finish, not necessarily true mechanical quality. I will put up an argument, but at least I will back it up with facts.

JD Power rates the begining of the life of the car. Heck, I got a JD Power survey two weeks after getting my Q7 asking for problems. I honestly don't care if a couple of small things need to be fixed in the first year under warranty. What I care about is how the car will hold up in the 2-6 years period, the real test to quality. Rattles and big $ items are the most important with the degradation of handling. Sadly no survey will capture that, maybe some magazine will long term surveys...

For example I had many small problems with the 05 Cayenne in the first year and a half. They were all handled very professionally by the dealer and everything was fixed/changed without questions. Does this mean that the car is bad quality? Absolutely not, the car has the same peepy interior after 3 years, not a rattle to be heard and handling/feel is as good as its ever beeen. You couldn't say that for any GM cars.

I think they will pitch the R8 at 70k UK Pounds Sterling here in the UK as far as I've heard but I'm not sure what their US level would be. At todays rate that's around $130k. That would seem a lot. The Audi brand is great quality but who would buy a BMW at that price (Z8 didn't last that long although I think it is an amazing car if not better than the 507 original).

It does look very unique but it doesn't stir the soul for me. Maybe that would change if I drove it....

Quote:
    Steve R said:
    I think they will pitch the R8 at 70k UK Pounds Sterling here in the UK as far as I've heard but I'm not sure what their US level would be. At todays rate that's around $130k.

Typicall, a car selling for 70k Pounds in the UK would sell for $85-$95k here in the US - currency conversion is very deceptive...

bugg3r Must move to the US

I think its silly for Audi to say this with the close Porsche association to VW/AUDI. I doubt Audi is trying to crush Porsche competitively like a Ferrari or Aston Maritn would like to.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    The price...

Expected price was 95.000 Euros, which in the end turned out to be 104.000 Euros - still a good deal. You guys will just need to get used to a weaker dollar. It will cost you the same as us, but of course will seem much more expensive to you. You're probably right about the sales, though

Manual 6 speed: 104.400 Euro
    R Tronic : 111.790 Euro

After that, add some "extras", and you'll jump verry quickly to 130.000 Euro. In this point there are five ways to follow:

a) Go to a Corvette for far less money, and you get a fantastic car.

b) Buy an R8 or.......a GT2!

c) Spend a "bit" more and go one step beyond : Lambo

d) Keep your car, and wait (once more) to see something really attractive.

e) Buy a real performer and enjoy it in the track: Atom, Radical, Gardner Douglas, Caterham, etc....(Can you imagine a Gardner Douglas -Cobra- with the Z06 engine?. Well, this is possible for a fraction of the cost of any "supercar"). Still, forget about a daily car, air condition, comodity, usability, etc., and be sure your driving skills are highly developed.

This said, I think we have to be patient until see the actual performance of the R8. I hope it will surprise us. If not, very difficult that it will take Carrera's costumers.

I want to be surprised at once!!!!....without having to spend a fortune in a car (GT, Murci)...., but once, and once again, car manufacturers, in general, fall in the topic: a bit more HP and "more or less" facelifts (this does not apply on the R8, of course).

PD :"......I can get no......" (Mick Jagger)

Quote:
    95jersey said:

Like another poster stated, they rate the beginning of the car's life cycle. However, that's beside the point. What bothers me is that they don't categorize the malfunctions. This would be VERY important, especially with demanding (or should I say downright whiney) US customers. What bothers somebody who buys a $65.000 BMW might not bother another person, who bought a $20.000 Honda Accord. I don't put much faith into these studies but instead rely on my experiences, ehere I can and at least in one case, it tells me that this survey is nonsense. Why they don't track the entire life-cycle of the car (to get a real description of the vehicle's reliability, not newborn-diseases) and categorize the malfunctions is incomprehensible to me.

Quote:
    SoCalHoosier said:
    No argument with the Big 3 and poor cars/quality...
    However... let's take a closer look at Toyota/Lexus.

See how many cars they can sell based on quality vehicles. Can they charge the same price as their European brethren? Absolutely not. Why? To be very blunt... there is less snob appeal. If you can afford something more exlusive then you will look to avenues less travelled.
    Are the Euros making cars with higher standards than the Japanese or Koreans? Nope.
    Ask yourself if you will ever buy a 100K Lexus or Toyota that will outperform the 997TT. If you answered NO, ask yourself if you will be able to use the same argument you have with GM & the Z06.
    Ironically it is those same Japanese that were hired by Porsche to fix their broken company and help it sell mass amounts of cars.

Porsche is using their past glory days in motorsports to make the current customer think they are getting something truly special. Sorry my friend... those days are over.

Lexus probably has standards at least as high as european manufacturers. If only they could sort out their designs (BMW also)

At US $90K the R8 interests me....at $120K + , no way.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    What I care about is how the car will hold up in the 2-6 years period, the real test to quality.

3 Year VDS:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2006133

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Audi says its sensational R8 will win the war with Porsche's legendary 911!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/203073/audi_r8.html

Maybe on performance but not on looks. I wouldn't be caught dead driving an ugly car like the R8.

David

My friend has an rs4, same engine as the r8, maybe this is an irrelevent point , but its an absolute pig on gas, getting around 12mpg without flogging it. Just another data point for the wonder car audi r8 before anyone has ever tested one.

Quote:
    chapse said:
    My friend has an rs4, same engine as the r8, maybe this is an irrelevent point , but its an absolute pig on gas, getting around 12mpg without flogging it. Just another data point for the wonder car audi r8 before anyone has ever tested one.

A 3800 lbs car, powered by a high-revving 4,2-litre N/A V8, which is coupled to an all-wheel-drive system through a close-ratio 6-speed gearbox. What did you expect? 28 mpg?

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    chapse said:

A 3800 lbs car, powered by a high-revving 4,2-litre N/A V8, which is coupled to an all-wheel-drive system through a close-ratio 6-speed gearbox. What did you expect? 28 mpg?

I wonder if this car will get the gas guzzler tax (in US). I have heard the new M3 coupe gets the tax. This in my opinion is very say for a V6 to say the least. Seems like we are going backwards, not forward.

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    chapse said:

I wonder if this car will get the gas guzzler tax (in US). I have heard the new M3 coupe gets the tax. This in my opinion is very say for a V6 to say the least. Seems like we are going backwards, not forward.

Isn't the new M3 a V8? But yes, I agree with the other things. It's a step backwards when the cars' consumption increases despite ever improving technology.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    765440 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437298 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261439 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258221 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82772 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877548 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809824 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM