Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Audi says its sensational R8 will win..

Audi says its sensational R8 will win the war with Porsche's legendary 911!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/203073/audi_r8.html

Re: Audi says its sensational R8 will win..

Why can't people just leave the 911 alone , win or lose the badge says Audi not Sttugart or Porsche

If they price it low enough (under $80k), then it will definitely take many 997 sales.

I think the price will be closer to $100k though (there it will steal far fewer sales)...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    If they price it low enough (under $80k), then it will definitely take many 997 sales.

I think the price will be closer to $100k though (there it will steal far fewer sales)...

Grant,

I actually heard the U.S. pricing would be anywhere from 120k to 130k

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Why can't people just leave the 911 alone , win or lose the badge says Audi not Sttugart or Porsche

Look at the bright side of it, if they have enough pressure from competition they'll eventually come up with something cool.

Quote:
    edz61 said:

Totally agree to that!!!

I modestly think that the sentence in not adecuate. Besides truth or not, there are things you can think, but not say...a matter for gentlemen's manners.

In the other hand, I read in the article that between the "things to come" are the "ultra effective" ceramic breaks. Does this mean that we will have to wait for a "long" period, or they will be available in a reasonably "first moment"?

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:Grant,

Wow - that is by far the highest estimate I've heard. I think that would be a big mistake. Maybe an E-Gear V10 roadster at that price, but the 6-spd V8 coupe needs to be in the 5-figures to succeed, imho...

After all, it has the RS4 drivetrain (plus dry sump) which costs around half that much ($66k)...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Wow - that is by far the highest estimate I've heard. I think that would be a big mistake. Maybe a V10 roadster at that price, but the V8 coupe needs to be in the 5-figures to succeed, imho...

After all, it has the RS4 drivetrain (plus dry sump) which costs around half that much...

I totally agree. It should be priced around the 80s to be successfull anything more than that would drive the buyers out of the showroom.

while i think it will sell pretty well for such a expensive AUDI (Martin Winterkorn said they are not looking to make numbers with the R8, its more of a prestige pull), its actually good for us porschehpiles: Porsche will have to up their cars!

In the UK the mags are publishing the pricing for the V8 manual as being about Pounds1k more than a C4S

With the reasonable "must have" options (but no ceramic brakes), as far as we know, arround 130.000 Euro....

Maybe with a bit more, you reach the "next step"

This is Auto Express's sensationalist headline. Where is the actual quotation from the Audi marketing department stating this??

As far as I remember I did the configuration in the Audi German official page

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

Grant,

Makes sense, if you translate the Euro-prices into USD (I guess Audi did not close such a favourable currency hedge deal like PAG ).
    If Audi really intends to enter the sportscar market as one of their future strategic market segments, IMO they better should try to create a proprietary R8 Audi sportscar personality instead of just referring to the car as a "Carrera killer" or "German Ferrari". Based on the current Euro-pricelists a nicely equipped R8 comes at 997 TT-money (just have a look at the options list - I guess they already beat Porsche in this department).

Hence I guess the car won't steal away to much of PAG's bread & butter Carrera business. At the same time pricing and limited production seems to indicate that Audi tries to play the exclusivity game...but in this respect Ferrari & Lambo should have the edge.

I guess the R8 is intended to be a sort of tool to further polish Audi's image as a sporty carmaker and hence gain customers for their bread & butter business (which of course is X-time bigger than the 100k+ sportscar market).
    The acquisition of Lambo never achieved this goal, just because Lambo still is seen as a proprietary sportscar brand (and not as just one other brand in the VW-group) - of course for some good reasons considering Lambo's long and proud history as a stand-alone carmaker focussing on "sports cars only" - here we go again

With the current pricing and marketing approach the R8 may become just a nice collector's car for lucky car-nuts who can't resist to add another sportscar to their collection of P's and F's. If Audi really would have intended to develop a longterm strategic market position in the sportscar segment, they should have priced the car @ 85-100k IMO (including the most asked for options) .

Having said that, the car may be excellent in terms of performance and tech features (the first "real" reviews will tell us more), but car history is full of technically excellent cars which suffered from an inappropriate marketing approach .

Agreed with all the points above. At $100K in the US, it won't steal that much from 911 sales.

Keep in mind US prices are always cheaper that the EU price without VAT converted in USD (except for Ferrari).

Personally I would take a 380hp (updated) 997S over an R8 at equal price (cab+rear seats would help too)... For $100k, you can get a GT3, no brainer. The base R8 has to be around $80k to be competitive, the V10 around 997TT prices.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

Grant,

Ron, based on the Euro price and exchange rate, your number is correct.

Don't forget who sits on the VW board and owns 25% of the company. I doubt very much it will compete with the Porsche market. This car is for performance addicts that are looking for a German car that is sold in limited quantities and is different and unique. The R8 certainly meets that criteria.

Let us not forget that Porsche is into mass marketing homogenous cars and are not concerned with niche players.

It is a good sign for the 911 if manufacturers still use it as a base for comparisons...

hmmm...this car is getting more disappointing, kind of like the cayman. There was all this hype before it was released and then disappointment. Still a great car but not living up to the hype. Why do these companies allow the hype to happen? I can't imagine the hype helps them once the real specs come out and prove the hype to be false.

Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    hmmm...this car is getting more disappointing, kind of like the cayman. There was all this hype before it was released and then disappointment. Still a great car but not living up to the hype. Why do these companies allow the hype to happen? I can't imagine the hype helps them once the real specs come out and prove the hype to be false.

What hype? The car lived up to all of its promises. Performance is better than that of the 996TT, handling will probably be the best in the business and craftsmanship will leave other manufacturers scratching their rears. Not sure what you dislike about it?

The price...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Wow - that is by far the highest estimate I've heard. I think that would be a big mistake. Maybe an E-Gear V10 roadster at that price, but the 6-spd V8 coupe needs to be in the 5-figures to succeed, imho...

After all, it has the RS4 drivetrain (plus dry sump) which costs around half that much ($66k)...

At 120k it will lose a large proportion of its clientel...
    Bad move

I'd have a gallardo instead of that. Still think it has nothing on a 997!

Slightly OT but does anyone have the G prices in the US for 2007? Someone mentionned they were cheaper than 06 prices...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    The price...

Expected price was 95.000 Euros, which in the end turned out to be 104.000 Euros - still a good deal. You guys will just need to get used to a weaker dollar. It will cost you the same as us, but of course will seem much more expensive to you. You're probably right about the sales, though

Not right off bat but will find out on Oct. 12 when I go for Lamborghini Houston grand opening.

Will post pictures as well .

Nice thanks!

About the weak USD, it is true that at some point european cars should be more expensive BUT, they have to compete with american and japanese cars built in the US. So realistically, they can't raise the prices that much. Long term, if the situation persists, EU car manufacturers will open plants in north america to build cheaper cars (VW, MB and BMW already have plants on this continent). One effect would be less sales of USD vs the EUR as manufacturing would increase in the US, thus make the USD apreciate, until a balance is found again (ah the joy of frre markets and floating currencies).

That said, the USD will probably get stronger before that happens, it is kept artificially low by the US to preserve cheap US exports in time of a slowing economy, something the european governements struggle to do as they also have to keep a strong euro to buy cheap energy.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    That said, the USD will probably get stronger before that happens, it is kept artificially low by the US to preserve cheap US exports, something the european governements struggle to do as they also have to keep a strong euro to buy cheap energy.

Always a trade-off. Regarding north-american plants, how is the quality? My cousin from Canada was visiting here for Christmas and hired a VW Golf as a rental. He was really amazed at the difference in quality between his car, manufactured in Mexico and the car he had been driving here. This probably doesn't translate onto luxury brands, but is there any difference?

This is true for VW, their car are built in Mexico. But BMW and MB are building ML and X5 in the US (all of them I believe), less quality issues there.

Typical Euro car...overweight, underpowered, and most unfortunately way overpriced. Interesting how all these companies keep going after the same group of people ($85k-120k 911 buyer).

This portion of the market in my opinion is already flooded with too many choices. First off, you are going after a group of buyers that are as dedicated to their Porsche as a body guard to Osama Bin Ladin. Why can't a Euro manufacturer make an honest 400hp sports car for $55k. They couldn't keep up with production, it would sell more in the first year than 911's are sold in 5 years. They make tens of thousands of Corvettes in the US every year that meets this criteria and no one wants a peice of that market?

No, they spend all this money to get maybe 25%-35% (at best) of an already small nitch deidicated market. As stated above, leave the Porsche fans alone and let them continue paying $85k+ for their 911's. Why don't you build us a 400hp sports car and slap the competition directly in the face with a kick @ss car at a realistic price! The world doesn't need another $100k car.

As a very discerning sports car buyer, looking in the $55k range, I still have no other choice for a REAL performance car other than a Corvette. I need some real choices, not bedroom poster cars.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755373 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431627 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258877 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255924 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79909 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5265 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868960 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803016 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM