Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

GT3, R8, New Esprit 08 or Gallardo

Hi Everyone,
    I'm not posting often but i do read you alot. But today i do need your advice and your help.

Well i've got a CT for my daily basis, I've got A Lotus Exige 265 HP for the track & fun. i love those to 2 cars.

I have no doubt about the CT, i'll keep it. I'm not sure with the Lotus Exige. Keeping it and getting a GT3 or a R8? Selling it and getting only a Lotus Esprit 08 or Gallardo?

After reading your topics, the GT3 seem to be a good car for Track and daily basis, The R8 as well.

The Lotus Esprit 08 looks great but i do not know yet the performance and if good for track & daily basis. The car is calling me out as well the GT3

The Gallardo= Love the Car but find it to exclusiv for track or daily basis and not sure i'll get discreet with a monster like this.

Ah god..... why did the human create such lovely & perfoment cars and not womens.
    With a women you don't need to give money out, (well it depend) but you don't know if it'll last for ever, with a car you give money out but you know that you'll keep it all your life
    About the GT3, i'm very close to sign at my dealer, but just have doubts about the Clubsport pack: The reason is that i don't fit in with my shoulders
    Thanks for you advice and enjoy life because it is short.

Re: GT3, R8, New Esprit 08 or Gallardo

Esprit production has been pushed back I believe so it should be a while I believe untill you can get one but dont' take my word for it, check that info out for yourself as well. That should be an interesting car but I do not know how it will compare.
    Upcoming Honda NSX may be interesting although it may be more of an M6 competitor then a GT3 competitor.
    The GT3 is the most direct raw sports cars of those you mentioned(not including Esprit(have no idea)).
    Its my current favorite not in terms of looks or the rear engine bit but in terms of its driver focused....ness.
    Gallardo and R8 are similar. I would rather wait for the V10 R8 then get the Gallardo. V8 will be slower then all the cars you mentioned but fast enough. Both these cars are luxorious, somewhat heavy awd where as the esprit and GT3 or less viable as daily drivers like the other two.
    What exactly do you want out of a sports car and I can help you out more.

What exactly do you want out of a sports car and I can help you out more.

Effectiveness, lightness/ powerfull, Not to many electronical assistance. Looking really for what we still can call a car. I guess i'll get that more in the GT3 and the Lotus Esprit. Correct about the Lotus delaied. I like to feel a car and to bring it where i want to. It's true that with the R8 & Gallardo as both car are made by Audi, the weight will be present and the sensations might be slightly different. By the other way The Lotus and the GT3 are for me more exclusiv cars. Then if i look on the resalling part. A GT3 will find an owner pretty fast, A R8 maybe too, a Lotus or a Gallardo maybe not. I love the sensation of my Lotus Exige it's like a go kart and this is what i'm looking for as a replacement.

Also depends on what track you want the car for.

If the track doesn't have long straight areas or really wide bends I don't know how much enjoyment you will get on such a track from the GT3 compared to a Lotus (basically what I am saying if it's a high speed track go for the GT3 but if it's not the difference between an Elise/Exige and the GT3 on a slower track it's not that big in terms of sensations).

And from your words it looks like you are looking to find some additional fun.

Also don't forget that when you buy a GT3 you buy a package that was fine tuned so many years (for instance the GT3, GT2 and turbo are using an older engine block that is better and older in design but more expensive than the engine blocks used in general production C2/C2S/boxster/cayman etc.).

For pure high speed racing thrills nothing will beat the GT3 (maybe the RSR or the cup car .

The new R8 which I love it's a road car IMO. Same people that want to buy a Turbo or a Gallardo should look at those.
    They are too GT for me. Not raw enough. think about it: AWD, DSG, electronic suspension and so on. You can train a monkey to drive such cars pretty fast and obtaining similar lap times every time. For example, all my friends from US, some of them Porsche drivers, they pick the non-PASM and manual versions of the cars.

But that is a matter of taste and frustration

Either for the people like me that are nostalgic and they want to have control of the cars or for the people that want to be "the king of the hill" just pressing the pedal to the metal and letting the car do the rest. But I still believe you want to be in the first category judging from your words.

I agree with you Pentium. The design of the track will be a uge factor for the car. On a winding track, the Lotus will be better then the GT 3, more nimble but on a track like the Castellet in France, the GT 3 will be faster & better, no doubts.

But this is not what worries me. I know that the easy think would be " if you can get both, do it" Get the GT3 & Lotus Esprit or get the Gallardo & R8. This is not the point.Also the car does not make all the difference, the driver does too.

The bottom line of all my thinking before bying is really to get from those 4 cars, the best compromise.
    As i said, i do not want to get one of this car just to show of, no i'm really looking to get the best out of it.

If i try to convince myself, the GT3 will give me satisfaction in almost everything. Track, daily basis, fun , light, fast etc...
    The Lotus Esprit might behave well on track like a GT or my Exige and might be also possible to go down town once in a while without a feeling of grandiositie and show of.
    The R8 no problem for a daily basis but not convince on track and the Gallardo not convince with my-self that i'll managed such a car in front of others people or friends, even if i feel free to buy what i want to buy. but....
    Anyway, it does help me to read your post and your advizes. Thanks even if i'm still

Well first its a really tough decision....

Anyway as you want to keep the cayenne turbo, I would sell the lotus exige to buy either a Gallardo , gt3 or R8, but I would definately erase from the list the new espirit.

I dont know which one I keeped.... the gallardo and gt3 are probably focused on the same direction.

About the new R8, well from my point of view is just an amazing car, apart that its brand new to the market the price is lower than a gt3 or gallardo....

I am just a bit sorry , but I would go for a 997gt3 white with cgt seats in leather ...then I would change the rear gt3 wing for the RS one, and there you go, the best car in the market

I am just a bit sorry , but I would go for a 997gt3 white with cgt seats in leather ...then I would change the rear gt3 wing for the RS one, and there you go, the best car in the market

No big thinking : easy and specific i like that, but... you right maybe i should keep it simple

the gallardo...it has been in the market for quite a time now, but anyways now with the 520bhp must be a experience to drive.. Also in some way it could reduce the usability for daily driving, it would probably turn more heads while passing by, and therefore much more insecure while parking her at public parkings etc

About the R8, i would wait about a year or so, when you have seen some of them in the road, and like this made up your mind if you like it or not and if you go for the v8 or v10, and while all this happens you already have had the 997gt3 for some months, driving her, and enjoying the best porsche sound in the world, with those 415bhp that easily enter into the cabin ....for me again im sorry about the R8(i really like it), but at the end of the day its an audi vs a new engine, new interior, new design new everything 997gt3 ....Its easy in some way !!!, trust me !!!

What kind of transmission would you prefer, that may narrow things down a bit...manual or sequential

Cram, if you want to track the car than quattro is not an option IMO. And the GT3 is a better package not only because all the motorsport history that comes along with the car (to be read: everything it's already close to perfection in terms of performance) but also from a financial point of view. I love Lotus cars but which one do you think you can sell faster and at a better price?

Also please don't make a choice without driving all these cars on a track first. It's like buying shoes on the internet.

And the R8 and the new Elise are at least 3 years away in terms of track fine tuning. Buy the GT3, have fun and see 3 years from now if you want to go somewhere else.

P.S. You can drive the GT3 to the track, change the brake pads and wheels (that's what I would recommend anyway) and than have a lot of fun. Do you really think you can do this with a Gall/R8 ? Maybe the Lotus yes, but the other two ... at least not for long ... something will break sooner or later.

Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    What kind of transmission would you prefer, that may narrow things down a bit...manual or sequential

Sequential, i love it for a racing car but not for a normal car. So to your question = Manual

I love Lotus cars but which one do you think you can sell faster and at a better price ?

I guess easely the GT 3. Well, i'm going to get a good night sleep on your post and advises, then on the fifth i'll drive the GT 3 for an hour and then i'll go for a try on the Gallardo,

Thank's guys

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:

Or just buy a RS

Quote:
    BC911J said:
    Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said:

Or just buy a RS

Love the RS but i don't see the point to pay the amount of the RS when the GT3 is almost similar.

I'm really looking forward to my test day on the fifth for the GT3. After all the topics that i've been reading on the GT3, i'm 95% convince that i'll sign for it.

I did get informations about the Lotus Esprit that aren't very positiv so why not going for it

Well, Here is my conclusion on my 1h1/2 GT3 test drive.
    Take place in the car Lovely feeling. Turn the key Lovely sound. First gear and go.Really nice behavior and smooth on the road.
    Then i go for some road a little bit more free of cars and nice curves. Here my report:

I liked the direct feel of the chassis
    Precision
    Sound
    Power
    Easily a daily driver car

Liked less: precision of gear box, second to third, specially when the car is ' twisted'
    the behavior of the car with the suspension sport turned on.
    It jump to much and car less easy to handle.

I guess once we get to know the car, it must fun

After my test day, back to the dealer and guess what volks.
    I pass order for it. White, clubsport, Black weehls, bi-xenon and michelin cup tire.
    Let down the Gallardo, The R8 and the Lotus Esprit. Well, what amazing . I can't wait to get it

that is what i would have done , exactly same combination!!!

As I said I would install the RS rear wing, but to each his own.

When is it coming?, I'm glad you choosed the gt3, its the best car of the pack, and apart from that its also the cheapest between gallardo and f430, so this makes it even better !!!

Did you shoot any pics by chance???

again congrats !!!!, and YES!!! i'm jealuos....jealuos in a good way of course

Quote:
    Alex18_996CC said: that is what i would have done , exactly same combination!!! As I said I would install the RS rear wing, but to each his own. When is it coming?, I'm glad you choosed the gt3, its the best car of the pack, and apart from that its also the cheapest between gallardo and f430, so this makes it even better !!! Did you shoot any pics by chance??? again congrats !!!!, and YES!!! i'm jealuos....jealuos in a good way of course

Thank's. It should arrived in the second time of 2007. Around August. Will let you know. You can find some pics at the topics "pics GT3 during my test driving from Gnill". It's the same car that i've tried.

I am glad that you made this choice. Have fun!

Do people find the even R8 remotely attractive? I don't like it at all. Enjoy the GT3. As Alex, I am very jealous.

I'm really excited about it. Thanks god that the winter will come so the waiting time will be less longer but guch i'd like to do miracles .
    I guess patience is a good virtue. and it's worth.
    Anyway thanks for your different points of you.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688440 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408658 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255499 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234748 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65366 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857536 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773287 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM