Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Anyone have photos of 997GT3 in Arctic Silver

Hi guys,
    Anyone have a picture, link, video of the 997GT3 in Arctic Silver.
    Cheers in anticipation

Re: Anyone have photos of 997GT3 in Arctic Silver

Sorry,I have only GT silver

Still the best color imho

that or black

Is that standard ride height for a GT3? - looks lowered

Quote:
    stone said:
    Is that standard ride height for a GT3? - looks lowered

GT3's are always really low (although you can adjust the height manually with the standard coilovers)...

for some reason... it look a bit too light to be GT silver to me...

Quote:
    Genki said:

That is GT imho

Here is my (ex) 997 Turbo to compare - it is GT Silver: -

Quote:
    nomis said:
    Quote:
    Genki said:

That is GT imho

Here is my (ex) 997 Turbo to compare - it is GT Silver: -

Why did you get rid of the 997TT so soon?

Quote:

Because imho, it was soulless.

It lacked character and after owning a 996TT, I was prepared to loose bag loads of money in depreciation on another Turbo when I was enjoying it.

I'm sure many will love it but it just wasn't for me. Give me a raw Porsche with personality and I'm a happy man - fast is easy to find but soul in a modern Porsche is harder.

Quote:
    nomis said:
    Quote:

Because imho, it was soulless.

It lacked character and after owning a 996TT, I was prepared to loose bag loads of money in depreciation on another Turbo when I was enjoying it.

I'm sure many will love it but it just wasn't for me. Give me a raw Porsche with personality and I'm a happy man - fast is easy to find but soul in a modern Porsche is harder.

Thanks for the honest answer. That's the same reason I sold my 2002 996C2 and bought a 993 (to go with my 73 911). Faster isn't always more fun - I really enjoy the older cars alot (of course the 73 is faster AND has more character than my 2002C2 )...

Obviously that should have read, "I was prepared to loose bag loads of money in depreciation on another Turbo when I wasn't enjoying it"

Must have been tired

To be honest Grant, I actually looked at going older - 73 RS - but I also want I car I can use in all weathers and not worry about rust, etc.

I think I have the solution but only time will tell!

GT3 Buddy

Quote:
    BC911J said: GT3 Buddy

Are you saying that the GT3 will also be the solutions to my worries

nomis, thanks for such a gr8 and honest answer. As bad as this may sound I was crazy about my ex Turbo and when I bought the 997S while I lost some performance I was happy that I bought a newly designed Porsche as I had 3 996's, Targa, Coupe and Turbo. Now despite the long wait to see the 997TT, for some reason the 997TT does not do for me. No offense to the 997TT owners but nomis has point. 997TT is an extreme machine but it just does not quite do it for me. It's like a gorgeous woman you date and everyone says she is a dream marry her and you just can't see yourself married to her

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    nomis, thanks for such a gr8 and honest answer. As bad as this may sound I was crazy about my ex Turbo and when I bought the 997S while I lost some performance I was happy that I bought a newly designed Porsche as I had 3 996's, Targa, Coupe and Turbo. Now despite the long wait to see the 997TT, for some reason the 997TT does not do for me. No offense to the 997TT owners but nomis has point. 997TT is an extreme machine but it just does not quite do it for me. It's like a gorgeous woman you date and everyone says she is a dream marry her and you just can't see yourself married to her

Guys, I would never talk-down the Turbo but if I was too use your analogy: it's like getting Angelina Jolie into bed (or any other hot woman you've lusted after who portrays herself as a sex-kitten) and then feeling like you've spent the night with a nun

The looks never quite worked for me and the performance, while staggering, is too easy and too attainable but ultimately, lacking soul and character. Just mho but one brought about after owning a 996TT and waiting for 4 years+ to buy a 997TT.

As for GT3

Quote:
    nomis said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

Guys, I would never talk-down the Turbo but if I was too use your analogy: it's like getting Angelina Jolie into bed (or any other hot woman you've lusted after who portrays herself as a sex-kitten) and then feeling like you've spent the night with a nun

The looks never quite worked for me and the performance, while staggering, is too easy and too attainable but ultimately, lacking soul and character. Just mho but one brought about after owning a 996TT and waiting for 4 years+ to buy a 997TT.

As for GT3

I agree I like the GT3, it looks agressive, mean and intimidating and a thorough bred indeed. Again Turbo is hot but does not make the cut so far

I understand your opinion of the 997tt. I just sold my 997tt back to the dealer and ordered a 997C4S coupe. If I had seen the tt on the dealer floor I probably would not have ordered it. I could'nt fall in love with the wheels or the led's and eyeball fog lights. Yes it is an excellent car and I don't mean to detract from it, but it just didn't do it for me. Kind of like a beautiful woman with not so great legs and bad teeth. Thanks for making me realize I'm not crazy, I think...

Glad I'm not the only one also to prefer the C4S over the TT. I like the cleaner lines and classic appearance of the C4S and the PSE gives it the sound it deserves over the muted turbo. The turbo is an incredible car in all regards but the C4S fits my needs and desires a little better right now.

xraydoc,
    It is posts like yours that make those of us with deposits down for the 997tt nervous. I have not even driven the TT yet as there seems to be none to test. I am sure the dealership is glad to have your TT as they can mark it up 10-20K and sell it quickly.

I do apologize for causing any concern about the tt. It is infact a magnificent machine and always will be. My coments about its looks were unnecessarily overly critical. It is just my own feeling about the car. For every guy like me there are many more who will love it and be very happy with it.Please excuse my lack of discretion and enjoy the car. It won't dissapoint you

The 997TT is an excellent car and one I waited for, as I said earlier, for over 4+ years. I was one of the first to have the car in the UK and was really hoping I would love it and, thus, keep it for years. However, as soon as I first started seeing the official GmbH shots of it, I was a little worried. At the launch, I spent longer looking at the GT3 and the 550 Spyder they were preparing for Goodwood Festival of Speed - surely not a good sign when you're there to see your new car.

Everyone is different and each to their own but my own personal view was that if you are going to use the 997TT as a daily driver, you will probably love it! However, for me, it was only every going to be a weekend/fun-day car! And as such, it felt like it lacked something.

Here is what I said at the time (when I sold it): -

As I've said to a few people off-line, it's not that the Turbo wasn't good - it was perhaps that it's too good (I know, I know... hardly a real criticism).

The 996 Tubo is a good car and the 997 Turbo is really just the 996TT +10% in all areas: - more power, thus faster, better handling, slightly nicer inside and in general terms a 10% increase in all areas. However, ever since the 965 Turbo 3.6 (the last of the RWD) and the 993 Turbo (last of the air-cooled), Porsche have been building safe cars that are easier to access the full power, without any risk. This, imho, leaves them lacking a little character and for want of a better descriptive word, soul.

The 997 Turbo was/is a great car but for me, it lacked any sense of occasion and in simple terms, was not worth Pounds50,000 more than a 996TT with X50 - which is almost as fast and offers the same sanitised driving experience.

In my opinion, it's very easy to go fast and in modern terms, it's cheap - a second hand Evo, Impreza, M3, VX220, etc, are all fast and very rapid cars. So going fast isn't the issue and wasn't the primary motivation for my Turbo purchase. For me it was a combination of things - Porsche heritage (which they've traded on for too long and need to start rebuilding in terms of racing imho), the iconic 911 shape and the 4-seater aspect for weekend driving with the family. The 997 Turbo met these things but lacked the one important thing I look for in a fun, frivolous car, the sense of soul. A car that makes you feel as one with it.

I'm glad I've owned one and it was a good experience, just not one that makes me want to come back time and time again to drive it. The sure fire sign that it wasn't for me was the "shoulder test". When I sold it, and walked away, I didn't need to look back over my shoulder to take one more look... the sure sign, imo, that this wasn't the car for me.

[back to now]

I stand by these words - a great car but just not for me

I love the 997TT.

The soul of the car, lies in how it makes speed so accessible in comfort and luxury. It's surreal.

While I do not have the skills to safely push the car to its limit, seeing professional drivers on video doing four wheel drifts in the TT makes me understand the true capacity of the vehicle.

I least care about the brand's racing history, to me it's the bullet proof tool to safely and confidently pass everyone on the street when in a rush! The fact that it's has decent resale value, good passive and active safety, luxury equipment also helps.

Well, we are all different but the above are what I look for in a car. If having to trade the TT for the GT3, I would probably find the latter lacking in low-end torque and road friendly traction, being ill suited except for the track.

I agree I don't like the fog lights but I love those wheels in person. And they even hide the brake dust, now whatelse can you ask for.

Everything you've said is available for half the price in a 996TT with X50... how does that sit with you? I'm not being funny or trying to pick holes because I agree, people buy cars for different reasons.

I guess for me, the 997TT doesn't feel special enough to be a weekend car and it's not worth double a 996TT - so where does it sit?

PS - here is my 996TT (ex), I just feel this car is still beautiful and has the same, if not more, presence than my newer 997TT

Quote:
    nomis said:
    has the same, if not more, presence than my newer 997TT

There is only one thing that kept me from buying a 996XX...those headlights. I know that sounds ridiculous but it (imo) really takes away from the aggressive appearance. ...and those wheels don't help either.

Quote:
    nomis said:To be honest Grant, I actually looked at going older - 73 RS - but I also want I car I can use in all weathers and not worry about rust, etc.

Well that is a valid concern - particularly in the UK. Fortunately, it's pretty dry here...

BTW; found another nice GT3 pic... :O!
    -Joost-

Quote:
    nomis said:
    Obviously that should have read, "I was prepared to loose bag loads of money in depreciation on another Turbo when I wasn't enjoying it"

I think this reads better::

"I was not prepared to loose bag loads of money in depreciation on another Turbo when I wasn't enjoying it"..

throt...

Yes, yes.... you really can see how tired I was

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690958 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410115 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256171 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858778 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775076 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM