Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Nav-TV iPod adapter install

I live in West Los Angeles. Who did your installation? Where are they located? Would you recommend them? I expect delivery of my 997TT in early November. gmt

Mine was done by Al & Ed's Autosound in Marina del Rey. As it goes, I wouldn't recommend them - long story, and nothing to do with the NAV-TV unit. I think that Al & Ed's in West Hollywood give much better service. They have done a few Nav-TV installs for Beverly Hills Porsche.

Al & Ed's are a total rip off (my local one is West Hollywood)...I really wouldn't buy or install from them....I seem to remember that a direct purchase from NAVTV is $600, whilst a purchase from Al&Ed's is $800!!!!and their install price was even more ridiculous. This is a very basic install item any half decent shop should be able to do a perfectly satisfactory job...

Nav-TV? Are you guys watching TV in a car? and a Porsche at that! &%$#@!!!

No... just listening to music.

Thanks for your response on the West LA installer. I've always thought of Al and Ed's as being a very retail type company that puts boom boxes in vans. I don't think that I would trust them for a custom quality car like the 997. I used to use Paris Audio but they are out of business. Does anybody know any custom quality shops in West LA?

I only used Al & Ed's as they had had a NAV-TV unit when nobody else did. Supply might be a little easier by now, but they were backordered for ages. NAV-TV have had a problem with the plugs that connect to the iPod.

Just had mine put in.....great sound but found that the 'shuffle' function does not work. Have spoken with Nav Tv on this and they are putting a software patch to allow that functionality. They tell me that they should have that up and running in the next day or so.....will keep you posted on the results.

Yes, and the shuffle/random track function resets itself everytime you restart the car.

There is also the bug where the currently played track name being lagged behind.

A couple questions:

Since the ipod acts as the CD changer in the PCM what happens if you have a CD changer? Obviously you can't use them together but when you unplug the iPod is the changer then recognized and usable?

Also, any installers in Dallas?

Thanks a lot!

My understanding is that once you install the NavTV unit, the CDC is completely by-passed and you cannot use it until you remove the NavTV module (not just the iPod).

Thanks W211. Can anyone confirm that the CDC is completely by-passed and unusable with the NavTV module?

The NavTv module definitely replaces the cd changer......NavTv are still struggling with the software patch to allow the 'shuffle function'.....they say it will be done but will probably take another couple of weeks before it will be ready.......will update again when I get some more information.

Do you have navigation in the car?

I have the nav-tv adapter installed since yesterday and actually its working - which is much more than the fictional Dension or DICE products(that far is true)

BUT:
    On the other side there are lot of software related issues I dont enjoy too much and actually some functionality is missing which makes it very difficult to use the ipod in a way it makes sense.

e.g. no chance to scroll throug all artists because after 30 items you have to wait around 5secs to come to the next 30 items. to scroll to the artists starting with S i needed 7 minutes !!!! (and my ipod is only with 19GB full !

e.g. if you select genre - lets say pop/rock and you have more than 99 songs - you are not able to hear the songs 100-xxx because after 99 list items there is no chance to go to a further page

and so on and so on

there are also so many not working functions (shuffle) so many cosmetic problems (song counter is wrong because systems says every song is 1:00 minute - so 99 songs are 99 minutes)

SO I REALL YHOPE NAV-TV WILL WOTK ON THIS SOFTWARE BUGS ASAP ! AND I ALSO HOPE THAT IN THE FUTURE THERE WILL BE A INSTALLATION AND/OR OPERATING MANUAL BECAUSE I ONLY RECEIVED THE BOX AND A FEW CABLES.

And by the way - does somebody now how the INterface will be upgarded with new software. I dont hopy that you have to access the box itself for that (because that would need 2 hours and a Porsche guy !)

You are right - there are some bugs, but this is a very good effort by NAV-TV to achieve integration within the PCM.

Personally I have never used shuffle, so didn't notice this one. It does take a while to scroll through, as I pointed out in my original posts, which is why I use playlists to break things up a bit.

As you say, at least they have a unit on the market. The audio is great, and I certainly wouldn't want to give mine up. I'm not really that concerned by any of the minor bugs.

My guess is that they will find a way to update the software via the ipod, and a download from their website.

I tried the playlist thing too - but as i mentioned when you have a playlist "titles starting with S" you only get the first 99 titles starting with s.

I just calculated it - From my 6900 titles on the ipod, I am not able to access more then 2500 in a acceptable manner.
    Ma friend has his ipod full with >20.000 items (just think about this)

Dont get me wrong - I am really pleased that somebody finally got it working - but im starting to really get angry that they didnt tested it enough and I am much more angry with porsche that they are not able to deliver any ipod interface (which would then work flawless I guess)

And this for a car which cost about 156,424.89 USD in Austria (EUROPE)

I just spoke to Nav Tv and they said not to get it if you do not have Navigation in the car. Is this true? I am dying without the 9000+ songs on my iPod.

Quote:
    997S-Vienna-Austria said:
    I have the nav-tv adapter installed since yesterday and actually its working - which is much more than the fictional Dension or DICE products(that far is true)

BUT:
    On the other side there are lot of software related issues I dont enjoy too much and actually some functionality is missing which makes it very difficult to use the ipod in a way it makes sense.

e.g. no chance to scroll throug all artists because after 30 items you have to wait around 5secs to come to the next 30 items. to scroll to the artists starting with S i needed 7 minutes !!!! (and my ipod is only with 19GB full !

e.g. if you select genre - lets say pop/rock and you have more than 99 songs - you are not able to hear the songs 100-xxx because after 99 list items there is no chance to go to a further page

and so on and so on

there are also so many not working functions (shuffle) so many cosmetic problems (song counter is wrong because systems says every song is 1:00 minute - so 99 songs are 99 minutes)

SO I REALL YHOPE NAV-TV WILL WOTK ON THIS SOFTWARE BUGS ASAP ! AND I ALSO HOPE THAT IN THE FUTURE THERE WILL BE A INSTALLATION AND/OR OPERATING MANUAL BECAUSE I ONLY RECEIVED THE BOX AND A FEW CABLES.

And by the way - does somebody now how the INterface will be upgarded with new software. I dont hopy that you have to access the box itself for that (because that would need 2 hours and a Porsche guy !)

Yes, I have the 99 songs bug too. I find that if I shuffle I do see songs from 100+. However, if I only go by the playlist, it only shows 99 songs.

When the song counter is off not advancing to the next song, when you press skip, it doesn't properly skip either.

All the bugs may require me to innovatively create extra playlists for the Porsche.

The single CD player playing MP3 is certainly more robust.

I don't have any iPod interface yet and have been using the CD player with MP3s. It's clearly better than nothing, but there are some pretty serious deficiencies there as well:

- It's a pain in the neck to actually burn the MP3 CDs. The beauty of the iPod is everything is online, all the time.
    - The Random function isn't really random; there's a single play order for each CD which never changes regardless of which song you start with.
    - The Random setting needs to be reset each time you either start the car or turn on the audio system; although it remembers which track was playing, it always starts in sequential play mode.

I think I'll watch this space a bit more to see how NavTV responds to the reported problems. I'm also interested in Sat Radio; anyone know if the Porsche Sat system plays nicely with NavTV?

Here here Scotty. I agree the MP3 CD random should be better. Its a trivial thing for them to make it truly random and have it remember remember random rather than revert to sequential.

I mailed Moni & Gary from Nav-Tv my list about the interface software problems (And I see everyday a few more)

Waiting for any response ;-(((

2 weeks and no answer in any way from nav-tv - I am thinking about sending the thing back....

I also purchased a nav-tv unit in anticpation of my Turbo being delivered later this month. But I'm thinking of returning it now as denison's unit looks like it is finally on the way to being released.

I am on the Dension waiting list. I wonder if it has some of the same problems that are reported with the Nav-Tv unit. For example, the sluggishness when searching through your songs, playlists with more then 99 songs, etc.

Have you heard anything new lately about the Dension unit?

Thanks.

Quote:
    Puffy911 said:

Have you heard anything new lately about the Dension unit?

Thanks.

I read some where that they will be releasing in 20 days from 10/17. I read about a group buy at 6speedonline I think.

I have been watching this ipod b---sh-t go on for almost 6 months or so. I know this is not constructive but surely Porsche use these forums to research their target market for future cars and upgrades.

My sister in laws volvo has a ipod plug. Yeah I know a Volvo.

My other car "Lexus" has a hard disk that can hold huge numbers of songs. we are talking a technology that is several years old now and is Mainstream.

Porsche figured after the 996 that they better get the cabin right. The 997 is a step up but gee, CD player in the boot on a expensive Bose option. My grandmother could do a better job of delivering the product. I dont think my kids know what a CD even looks like.

A hard disk and a software interface into the current PCM has to be cheaper and more efficient and save valuable boot space and and and.

The sad thing is my new c4s is 5 weeks old and this stuff really takes way from my total enjoyment level. Because when I hop in this car that in Australia I paid $250K for, I want it PERFECT!!!

STILL NO ANSWER AND ANY COMMENT FROM NAV-TV.
    And more and more bugs are coming up.
    E.g. when you browse around in a playlist suddenly he stops playing the song you selected but goes back to the first song in the list and YIPIEEEHHH the whole PCM lockes and you can not go to NAVI, MAIN SCREEN, Or what ever. Even disconnecting of the ipod doesnt help. I need to stop the car. turn off ignition, get the key out wait for 10 secs and than start again and wait until the PCM comes up again.

THIS NAV-TV UNIT IS BULLxxxx - I will definately send one last mail to nav-tv and if I dont get any response I will cancel my creditcard payment - maybe they will then talk to me ...

NEW INFOS FROM NAV-TV !!!
    After a very unfriendly e-mail in which I announced that I will cancel my creditcard payment for the ipod interface, I really got an answer.

Right now a new ipod-interface with a new software version is on the way - my porsche dealer will be happy that he has to displace the whole dashboard again to change the unit ;-))))

Quote:
    997S-Vienna-Austria said:
    NEW INFOS FROM NAV-TV !!!
    After a very unfriendly e-mail in which I announced that I will cancel my creditcard payment for the ipod interface, I really got an answer.

Right now a new ipod-interface with a new software version is on the way - my porsche dealer will be happy that he has to displace the whole dashboard again to change the unit ;-))))

Thanks for the information. Do you know what is involved in the upgrade? I purchased the unit in anticipation of installing it in my Turbo due the end of the month so the unit is not installed yet.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688716 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408777 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255555 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234815 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65403 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857649 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773495 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM