Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: More R8 pics

Quote:
    Oxonian said:

MKW: If the R8 is 80% as good as a Gallardo, then Porsche will be is serious trouble.

BTW, I'm thinking of selling my C2S and getting a 2007 Gallardo (my wife isn't too enthusiastic though). I'm just worried about reliability and daily use aspects.

I think a lot of faithful Porsche 911 guys have been frustrated by the common parts sharing and the holding back on each model line to prevent product overlap that has been Porsche's way of generating big profits . But many Porsche owners are also very pragmatic - that's why we prefer the security of a car we can drive to the supermarket as well as the track, large dealer network for peace of mind on typical longer US road trips, relative availabilty of spare parts that goes with long term Porsche ownership. I'll take a "Gallardo in Audi clothing" over the Lambo anyday for all these reasons.
    I think the buzz on this car , on this board, is bigger than ANY new model intro in all the years I've been here, wherever one stands. And I hope it serves as a nice wakeup call to everyone else competeting in this same market. We will all benefit , whatever model/brand we hold a liking for.

I still do not have official 0-160km/h and 0-200km/h metrics but, look at RS4 Limousine numbers:
    0-100km/h: 4.8s
    0-200km/h:16.6s
    1650kg

R8 has better aerodynamics and lower weight(1560kg) and it 0-100km/h is 4.6s for manual version(R-Tronic is little faster, Audi claims the same time for both manual and R-Tronic but, R-Tronic is faster specially till 200km/h) so, make your own asumption...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    BTW, Ron, what is your opinion here?

Well, regarding R8 and 997S performance wise nobody can assess anything until we get some reading on them, although magazines do not constitute anything but it helps to get a feel about the cars.

I personally have been a die-heart Porsche fan but lately, since their 997 introductions, I'm getting kind of cold about the brand. When 997S came out I test-drove it and didn't feel like a Porsche to me anymore. Of course this is my personal opinion but based on my past experience with 993 and 996, the 997 seemed like a comfortable sports salon, soft clutch and kind of numb steering feel as far as the feed back. And then I test drove my friend's 997TT, of course for a very short period of time but you get feel as to where Porsche is headed, and it was confirmed to me that may be I should try a different brand.

I've been on the R8 waiting list for the past 17 months when we didn't know what it was going to be called. To me, just by looking at it you can see everything about this car is so fresh and new that can't stop staring at it compare to other sports cars (design wise). Performance wise based on the specs it seems like a real kick ass car but again it remains to be seen. I personally don't think that R8 will come short since the RS4 proved itself as fantastic car performance wise and R8 in my opinion will be even better in the Dynamic driving compare to RS4. My prediction is that R8 will be very close to 997S if not better (may be). But all in all I am happy that Audi made this move with the R8, perhaps this will shake up Porsche and wake them up what other companies are up to and offerings are, as opposed to changing the engine a little bit and give it 5 more horse power and rip the customers off.

Ron, I agree with you!

Well , to give some credit to Porsche for responding to market pressures for more " value " in their cars , they no longer charge $245 for optional front footwell lights .

thank you

Seems like the automobile industry is entering a new era: the commoditization of super cars. Near-exotic performance at a fraction of the exotics' price-tag.

The Z06 proved that it's possible, the R8 may well continue this trend. The question is: will other automobile makers continue to gain performance grounds on established super-car makers? How will Porsche position itself?

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    Seems like the automobile industry is entering a new era: the commoditization of super cars. Near-exotic performance at a fraction of the exotics' price-tag.

The Z06 proved that it's possible, the R8 may well continue this trend. The question is: will other automobile makers continue to gain performance grounds on established super-car makers? How will Porsche position itself?

Very good question

Ron: I agree 100% with what you are saying. Porsche has been holding back and that's going to cost them some customers. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a while before that chicken comes to roost in the form of lower 911 sales and many of us will have made the switch by then.

Let's be frank about this. How many of us hate to listen to Nick Berry because we know deep down that there is a little bit of truth to what he says? I am an 11 year 911 driver and as loyal as any Porsche customer, but am beginning to feel a little let down lately. Let's face it, the styling of the 997 is a little boring. Porsche could have tried for something more dramatic but instead they chose to sell us a car that looks basically the same as it did back in 1999. To me, the 997 is a bit larger and less nimble than what I would have liked. PASM is a poorly executed failure. Tiptronic is still the only available electronic gearbox. And in the US, you can't even get the short shifter as a standard option. Hopefully, the R8 (and even the Z06) will open Porsche's eyes just a little bit.

I am surprised that you guys haven't seen the "official" 0-100kmh times yet. It's been on Fourtitute for the last 2 days. Anyway, it's 4.6s. Here is the info I am talking about. Audi R8 Link

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    Ron: I agree 100% with what you are saying. Porsche has been holding back and that's going to cost them some customers. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a while before that chicken comes to roost in the form of lower 911 sales and many of us will have made the switch by then.

Let's be frank about this. How many of us hate to listen to Nick Berry because we know deep down that there is a little bit of truth to what he says? I am an 11 year 911 driver and as loyal as any Porsche customer, but am beginning to feel a little let down lately. Let's face it, the styling of the 997 is a little boring. Porsche could have tried for something more dramatic but instead they chose to sell us a car that looks basically the same as it did back in 1999. To me, the 997 is a bit larger and less nimble than what I would have liked. PASM is a poorly executed failure. Tiptronic is still the only available electronic gearbox. And in the US, you can't even get the short shifter as a standard option. Hopefully, the R8 (and even the Z06) will open Porsche's eyes just a little bit.

Rennteam may not be best focus group to represent mkt which has many (or even a majority of) softer-core, brand-focused buyers, even for alleged sportscars/supercars....

Personally, am rather disappointed w/997TT's turbo lag, lack of exhaust note and lack of paddleshifters...and will move away from P to CL63/65 and 599....but numerous colleagues who have never driven a P (were 55/65/430 owners) are rather impressed w/my 997TT Tip and want to get a copy to add to their fleet....

And just as P seems to target the SL55 buyer base, w/increasingly GT-oriented, daily-use supercars, even the guys at F seem preoccupied w/creating increasingly daily-usable, approachable supercars, like 599/430, that the typical affluent, urban, amateur driver can appreciate and use/enjoy every day, even in mundane urban traffic....

Would argue SL55 changed the marketing/engineering focus of both F/P since its intro and initial success some 5 yrs ago....given R&D timelines needed to respond, 599 and 997TT represent latest competitive answers to this new paradigm....

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    City 20,8L
    Outside city 9.5L
    Mixed 13,6L
    C02 326g/km
    EU4

well figueres are not that bad....I usually add about 2 liters the average fuel consumption to make it real figueres...but anyway so far this car has exceeded my expectations, in every area !!!

thanks again kreso !!!!! , you are the man !!!

In my opinion, VKSF has hit the nail on the head in terms of economic analysis in the 100-200k luxuro/GT sports car bracket.

The days of the 993TT and the 355 Spdyer are long gone! If Fred the Finance guy or Larry the Lawyer are going to put down 150k for a car, they want aesthetics, ego, presence and comfort!

Numerical comparisons via dissemination of reliable telemetry (via internet/more comperably knowledgable dealer networks) have put an end to ostentatious factory claims (Ferrari's touted hp back in the day etc) and have made back to back comparisons almost a mockingly funny game of "EGO" ( my car goes to 200kmph in 12.1 seconds. Yours? 12.3? Hah! ).

Let's face it, the market has shifted. We have seen this trickle down in the very least in the concept of the super car (the shift from hardcore in your face leightweight rocket of the 80s a la F40, McL F1 etc... to the posh luxurious image of presence in the 2000s a la Murcielago, Veyron).

The SL55 very well may be the root of all of this. We can see the effec tit has on the market place. However, I hold Rennteamers to a little higher standard of taste in terms of things like driving feel, steering sensitivity, weight transfer, trackability.

----------

With that being said, I love the R8 in terms of its presence, its engine and its aesthetics. It's very refreshing! But if I were a prospective buyer (which I am not, financially capable), issues such as steering feel, break feel, weight transfer, sportiness would definitely be very pertinent to my purchase (note: not at all a reflection of the market segment's will).

I'm not a fan of heavy cars. Never have been, never will be. All of these cars now a days are getting fatter and fatter as car manufacturers are trying to install the latest safety technologies in addendum to luxurious ammenities in a sports car! To top it all, they often "hide the fat" with space-aged technological suspension manegment systems etc...

Only a serious test drive could tell...

One things for sure though: In addition to all of the impressive specs for R8, the curb weight will be the one flag that I would be anxious over if I were a prospective buyer!

Quote:
    Hurst said:
    One things for sure though: In addition to all of the impressive specs for R8, the curb weight will be the one flag that I would be anxious over if I were a prospective buyer!

Hurst,

One cool thing about a mid-engine design is that it gives a low polar moment of inertia.

That can restore some nimbleness to a higher-than optimum curb weight -- all other things being equal

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    4) Plus, since the R8 is an Audi, it won't incite the level of disapproving envy that would obtain from an Aston-Martin (or Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.). This can be a pretty big deal for non-bi-coastal USA wife approval.

Would a wife's envy of her husband's latest Lamborgotti Fasterossa be significantly reduced if she were invited to drive the car on a regular basis?

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    You're killing me Kreso with these pictures.

Ron, you can find some high-res sliced R8 here:
    http://www.supercars.net/gallery/119513/950/4.html

Nice pic

Where's the focus

Quote:
    Genki said:

Where's the focus

That's an autofocus, it chooses always the best object.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    4) Plus, since the R8 is an Audi, it won't incite the level of disapproving envy that would obtain from an Aston-Martin (or Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.). This can be a pretty big deal for non-bi-coastal USA wife approval.

Would a wife's envy of her husband's latest Lamborgotti Fasterossa be significantly reduced if she were invited to drive the car on a regular basis?

I didn't make my point as clearly as I should.

The envy hazard comes from random jerks (male or female) who would as soon key the side of one's exotic car as look at it. It also applies to some neighbors/associates who conclude that the car was expressly purchased to make them feel unworthy. Sad but true.

Wife (dis-)approval has much more to do with wondering if her husband is trolling for hotties (other than she) with a particular style of new car.

Some wives may fret that the reputation of the car in which she would be a passenger suggests to onlookers that she is a bimbo (one of those kind of women) who's self worth is defined by all the superficial contours of life.

The wife thing is much more dangerous than the vandalism/envy angle.

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Wife (dis-)approval has much more to do with wondering if her husband is trolling for hotties (other than she) with a particular style of new car.

ROFL
    This text belongs into the preamble of any sportscar buyer's guide

Quote:
    W8MM said:

Some wives may fret that the reputation of the car in which she would be a passenger suggests to onlookers that she is a bimbo (one of those kind of women) who's self worth is defined by all the superficial contours of life.

Oy! I pity the upstanding husband who is married to this type of spouse.

More pics, including manual gearbox gate...

http://shows.autospies.com/gallery/shows.asp?manu=&cat=&thisPage=69&galleryId=43

Sure ... it is a fresh car.

But performancewise ... why should i choose the R8 over an 997 GT3 as both wear the same price tag.

My personal opinion is ... the R8 is a car for the "bling" type of guys ... the design is not about asthetics, does not have the sculptural quality of a Carrera or a Lambo Gallardo/Murcielago or an Aston Martin... it is "overdesigned" ... made for the first look excitement and will look annoying and old in 1-years time.

I guess Audi is targetting the "gizmo generation" ... let's wait and see how sustainable this is going to be.

Greetz
    Tom

997 GT3 or GT3RS are awsome cars but, driving them whole year on the wet road? Or on the snow? No way... GT3/GT3RS is excellent dry weather/track enthusiast car IMHO.
    R8 is designed to ne usable every day of the year.

BTW, R8 with full options cost 5000Euro less then similary spec 997 Carrera S, 9000Euro less then similary spec Carrera 4S or 13000Euro less then similary spec Targa 4S.
    I compare fresh price list from Audi and Porsche and this info is the fact.

How about US prices?

Audi did a fantastic job with this car. It looks great and seems to perform great, too. And it definitely give Audi legitimacy in the sportcar segment.

If Audi doesn't put a cap on production, this car is going to put the big squeeze on the 911.

Quote:
    MAVERICK said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

Oy! I pity the upstanding husband who is married to this type of spouse.

This type of spouse is VERY common in cases where the car-buying money was made AFTER being married for a while, particularly if both parties are over 35, or so.

Ask around

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    If Audi doesn't put a cap on production, this car is going to put the big squeeze on the 911.

Porsche really don't need to worry. The 911 looks good and performs better than the R8.

The 911 looks good and performs better than the R8.

Performs better?? 997 GT3/GT3RS and Turbo are but, NOT Carrera S(X51)! So, your verdict is based on what??

Ok. You are "die hard Porsche fan" I guess...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763978 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436280 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260946 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257888 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82593 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876663 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808660 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM