Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Do we get a 911 only because we need rear seats?

I felt like asking this before when the Aston Martin V8 Vantage came out but we all subsequently discovered that the AMV8, while being exceptionally pretty to look at, doesn't outperform a 997S on the road or track.

BUT now the Audi R8 is out. All we have are pictures and info on the spec. No one here or in the motoring press has driven it yet so it's still too early to say anything for sure.

However, there's a chance that the new R8 will be around equal to a 997S in terms of track/road performance. On the assumption that this is the case, are the only differences that the R8 is more bold in style while the 997S offers rear seats? That's a depressing thought.

I am due to take delivery of a new 997S in November. Like many here, I too have been impressed (wowed even) by the new R8. Still, when I woke up this morning, having slept on it, I felt like the hoohah of yesterday's launch had subsided and that I am still in love with, and much prefer, the 997S. But is there anyone here who now feels that the only tangible reason left for going for a 997S are the rear seats? If so, has it really come to this?! That a thoroughbred sportscar like a 911 uses its rear seats as the deciding factor influencing people to buy it?

Re: Do we get a 911 only because we need rear seats?

Rear seats: major selling point.

Along with the handling and driving feeling, but it looks liike the R8 will have that. Maybe the real R8 target is the GT3...

Pick your favorite hot supermodel. Your FAVORITE has a few difficult to quantify qualites which are deciding factors when you purchase (her clone?).

I've always been a fan of Porsche "personality" ("Excellence is Expected while world hunger must be stopped").

Not sure about Audi personality, kinda like, "I wanna be the *best* super model, why shouldn't I be? After all I'm just as good as the rest of them."

I often take my kids to school.... that would be impossible in a two seater

One of the big selling features of the 911 is the rear seats. Without the seats I would have purchased something else. My three year old son absolutely loves going for drives in this car. Without the rear seat this would not be possible. It is the only real sportscar that can accomadate the entire family.

The answer is NO!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    The answer is NO!

I agree. They are useful when needed. Thats it really. If you really "needed" rear seats you'd get an RS4, M5 etc. I know I got one because it's a 911 and the rear seats meant that the wife would let me get one.

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    The answer is NO!

I agree. They are useful when needed. Thats it really. If you really "needed" rear seats you'd get an RS4, M5 etc. I know I got one because it's a 911 and the rear seats meant that the wife would let me get one.

Absolutely agree , ""come on guys tell the truth"" - there as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike...2 would sit rigid ....

throt......

I have to say that I love my 997S but I also love a lot of other sports cars; to me the back seat helps to rationalize the purchase of a 911 over other sports cars which are not as practical; I still have my deposit on the Vantage and have received numerous calls to go and place the order but the 2 rear seats are what holds me back from ordering one. Last week I took my Mom and Dad plus my daughter in the 997S for a 150 mile round trip and everyone was fine, my 94 y.o. dad did complain that the front seat was tight but he survived none the less.

2 seats were a selling argument with my wife...I like the boxster a lot...but these 2 seats can be really helpful...

Maybe they matter for some, but I've never actually used the rear seats. I have two baby daughters, and I guess I could get car seats for the rear but it seems like it would be a real pain to get them in and out. Instead I just bought a four door to use if I'm going anywhere with my girls.

The R8 looks like it has some real potential, and I'm sure like a lot of other Porsche drivers I'll take a look at it. However, over the years I can think of a fair number of releases that were intended to go head-to-head with the 911; I can't think of one that really accomplished this. The new Aston Martin is the latest that comes to mind.

Maybe the Audi will be the one that succeeds, but I'm not holding my breath. First and foremost among my concerns is weight. The Audi seems to be coming in pretty heavy. Second is that I believe it is only available as AWD. Maybe that is fine for the C4S crowd that likes this sort of thing, but if you really prefer the RWD 911 variants the Audi is going to be a compromise.

Certainly not!

I drive a 911S though I generally do NOT need rear seats.

In fact, I just might consider getting a Cayman S next time I get the urge to update my wheels.

That way, I'd have have a perfect excuse not to drive my mother-in-law around.

PS: Do they sell a roofrack for the Cayman?

Yup - we sold our year old 987S and got a 997 C4S Cab so that we didn't always have to use the Cayenne S for family trips out. We all loved the Boxster but couldn't all fit in it - so it had to go. When the new V8 M3 comes out it may be a threat to another 911 when we come to change but nothing in the Audi range will come close.

The back seats sure help, not for passengers but for stuff you might be carrying. As for the Audi, being built based on th Gallardo, it will be performing just as good or better than the 997S with a higher sticker price. Nevertheless right or wrong I am loyal Porsche buyer and will continue doing so God willing. I have always had one Porsche in my garage regardless of other cars I have owned.

For me the back seats were a major selling point not only for the occasional extra passengers (short distances only) but also for my bag or other stuff that I carry around with me. It's so easy to throw things in the back and than just go. I will do so even in a sedan. Going back and forth to the trunk it's definitely not my favorite sport.

Quote:
    Jeannot said:
    2 seats were a selling argument with my wife...I like the boxster a lot...but these 2 seats can be really helpful...

You can fit 3 runway models in the back if you tell them to crunch up - so yes, very helpful these seats are (as Yoda would say)

Quote:
    ajcastaneda said:
    You can fit 3 runway models in the back if you tell them to crunch up

Uhm, AJ, do you have pictures of that?

Coming from 986, having owned one for 5 years, would probably have purchased 987 except for the arrival of our first child 7 months ago. Having dreamt of owning the "icon" 911... the presence of the back seats sealed our decision. It is sure tight room wise back there but it's also handy for shopping bags, briefcase etc etc.

The back seats don't mean squat to me..

Gotta have 'em! I use the back seats 3x/week for our two small girls. I would have been serious 997 GT3 or AMV8 Vantage fodder if I didn't need the rear seats.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I felt like asking this before when the Aston Martin V8 Vantage came out but we all subsequently discovered that the AMV8, while being exceptionally pretty to look at, doesn't outperform a 997S on the road or track.

BUT now the Audi R8 is out. All we have are pictures and info on the spec. No one here or in the motoring press has driven it yet so it's still too early to say anything for sure.

However, there's a chance that the new R8 will be around equal to a 997S in terms of track/road performance. On the assumption that this is the case, are the only differences that the R8 is more bold in style while the 997S offers rear seats? That's a depressing thought.

I am due to take delivery of a new 997S in November. Like many here, I too have been impressed (wowed even) by the new R8. Still, when I woke up this morning, having slept on it, I felt like the hoohah of yesterday's launch had subsided and that I am still in love with, and much prefer, the 997S. But is there anyone here who now feels that the only tangible reason left for going for a 997S are the rear seats? If so, has it really come to this?! That a thoroughbred sportscar like a 911 uses its rear seats as the deciding factor influencing people to buy it?

The 911 is the only car that can provide a driving experience no other car can deliver.
    No other car on this planet feels like a 911, sounds like a 911 and turns like a 911. That is why I'm in love with the car...

Quote:
    ResB said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    The answer is NO!

Back seats was absolutely not the reason why I purchased an 911, one would be crazy to overlook all the qualities of this sports car to get it only for back seats. It is just a plus, but come on, not the reason why I'm getting one, so far from it.

Porsche, there is no substitute

The problem the R8 has is that it looks like a huge SUPERCAR, dunno if I can see myself dashing about town in it like you can a 997.

Back seat was supposed to be a bonus, but when tried fitting myself in there, I don't think I can do it even sideways!

Did anyone actually manage to fit a babyseat in the back?!

I haven't tried to fit a baby seat in the back, but was able to sit in the back myself 5'10" 180# could probably do that for 20-30 minutes, with front R side passenger in the same discomfort.

But hey I plan to be driving, and hopefully none of the models have the same body type as me.

There has been more frequent talks on this board about comparing the current 997 to the upcoming M3 and other models, and how porsche needs to provide a bump in horsepower, so as not to appear anemic.

I am new to the board and my first porsche is set to be build in November. I saw the light and decided not to wait for the 997 refresh/ update. I plan to use it as my daily driver.
    I test drove several other cars as well.

My reasons for a 911.
    The back seats are useful whether you have 2 small children or need to throw another super model in the back. The fact that you can actually recline the front 2 seats is a huge plus for me, unable to do that in the AMV8, Cayman S, and probably the R8.

Some may disagree with me on this point, but I found the placement of the 911's engine in the rear allows the the engine sound to be more tolerable over long distances. I found the Cayman and AMV8 to loud and draining if you were travel long distances or have conversations, as I plan to.

Handling, Steering precision, Comfort as a dialy driver.

Durability, suprising fuel economy.

Company heritage

Timeless design, a car that has had essentially the same design for more than 40 years and probably the next 40, was actually a selling point for me, I plan to keep mine until it can run no more. A vehicle that causes people to take a second look, but is also subtle enough that to the lay person won't know if it was built in the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's.

I have three small children and my wife drives a minivan. The minivan is clearly our "family" car. But several times a week I have to pick up my son from daycare or take my daughter to school in the morning or some other errand. They are small trips to here and there but the 911 make my life easier because of it. I get a fantastic, iconic sportscar and I can be the uber dad as well.
    Also, I didn't want to buy another car and have it waste away in the garage depreciating and costing me butloads in insurance (I've done that before where I have three cars for myself and one for my wife). Yes, I can afford to buy it, but it kills me to know what a waste it is. I have a friend who manufactures rims and has a high-end shop here in Miami. He has a bunch of different cars which he gets to keep in the showroom and write it off as a business expense. If I could do that, then I might have bought a Ferrari 430 and a Maserati Quattroporte and maybe even a Boxster.

My original reply was NO... but let me clarify:
    I got a 911 NOT for the rear seats but because it is a 911 - an all-in-the-rear design. I do not use the rear seats for anything other than storage - and I do not store any heavy stuff back there - for safety reasons.

No for me. I got it cause I grew up wanting a 911. Was visiting my folks last week and came across my first ever scalextrix set... looks like I had 911 embedded into my subconcious from the age of 3 and a half.

I definitely like the fact that regular 911s have rear seats. That's why I bought a Carrera S with x51 so that I can have 996 GT3 levels of power but in a Carrera based car. In my case, I want to drive my car as much as possible and having those seats in the back allow me to do so. Otherwise, had I bought a GT3 or 996 GT2 (both of which I would love to own - no questions about it) I would be relegated to driving my car whenever I was alone, which would be rather sporadically. That's not my idea of enjoying a car such as a Porsche! If it was within my plans to get another car as expensive as my X51 Carrera S, I would undoubtedly buy a 997 GT3 RS while keeping my Carrera S.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689815 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409364 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255811 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235038 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65559 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858122 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774215 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM