Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: More R8 pics

How about some more...

Hey Ron, somebody wants to say Hello to you!

what about Ceramik Brakes for Audi? are 380mm front?6pot?
    Normal steel specs?

R8 Iron brakes: 365mm(8caliper) front + 335mm(4caliper) rear
    Optional ceramics: 380mm(6caliper) both front + rear

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    From Paris via Auto Week...

Wow! Pure silver is the best color choice

Some info from my brother... He spoke with some Audi guys and they said that R8(420hp) is around 15s faster around Ring then RS4 Limo! With same Corsa tires and in Tom Kristensen hands...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Hey Ron, somebody wants to say Hello to you!

Hello baby

Quote:
    Oxonian said:I doubt that the R8 will have much impact on Porsche. The Carrera dominates its market segment and will continue to do so in the future. Remember the supposed 911-killer, a.k.a. AMV8?

I'm not so sure about that.

Since the USA is Porsche's biggest single market, I assume that the R8's eventual level of success in this market will be important.

1) Audi has a huge distribution system compared to Aston Martin. One has to actually make the cars available in order to sell them. In the USA, even though I live in the 26th largest market, I have to travel for almost two hours to look at, purchase, or service an AMV8. However, there are two Audi dealers within 15 minutes of my house.

2) In the USA, most Porsche dealers are also Audi dealers. They are not going to bad-mouth one brand over the other if there is a sale to be made either way. Should a customer display an interest in an R8 as well as a 911, the dealer will try to make some money either way. In this USA sales setting, the R8 will essentially function as another model in the Porsche line-up.

3) Just speaking for myself, I was attracted to the AMV8 but never really considered buying one because of concerns over ease of service, doubts about build quality, and a general feeling that it wasn't any "better" than the trusty 911 family. The R8, on the other hand, suffers from none of the above. I can't wait to see if I comfortably fit in the cockpit!

4) Plus, since the R8 is an Audi, it won't incite the level of disapproving envy that would obtain from an Aston-Martin (or Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.). This can be a pretty big deal for non-bi-coastal USA wife approval.

5) In my snow-prone but changeable climate, AWD is a big feature for every day driving. Why should I have to take another car to the office if it MIGHT snow on the way home. Wouldn't it be better to drive a fun car during the good-weather half of the day? Every drive-to-the office Porsche I have purchased since the 964 Carrera 4 has had AWD. The AMV8 is RWD.

When it's time to replace my 996TT, I perceive the R8 will be a much more serious Porsche competitor than the AMV8.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Some info from my brother... He spoke with some Audi guys and they said that R8(420hp) is around 15s faster around Ring then RS4 Limo! With same Corsa tires and in Tom Kristensen hands...

That fits with your previous info that the R8 is close to Gallardo and 997GT3

I'm sold. If this thing drives the way it looks...

Just called the dealer to put down a deposit!!

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    R8 Iron brakes: 365mm(8caliper) front + 335mm(4caliper) rear
    Optional ceramics: 380mm(6caliper) both front + rear

Fantastic brakes!

Ceramics brakes made by Brembo?????

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Manual version(say hello to Gallardo!)...

Awesome - I would definitely choose the manual gated shifter

So would I, but I would get rid of that hideous shift knob

Mike,

You should have been an attorney .

I love the way you outlined and explained the factual statements in your post , very true indeed Aston and Audi are totally different as far as Porsche competition is concerned.

Quote:
    W8MM said:

4) Plus, since the R8 is an Audi, it won't incite the level of disapproving envy that would obtain from an Aston-Martin (or Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.). This can be a pretty big deal for non-bi-coastal USA wife approval.

5) In my snow-prone but changeable climate, AWD is a big feature for every day driving. Why should I have to take another car to the office if it MIGHT snow on the way home. Wouldn't it be better to drive a fun car during the good-weather half of the day? Every drive-to-the office Porsche I have purchased since the 964 Carrera 4 has had AWD. The AMV8 is RWD.

When it's time to replace my 996TT, I perceive the R8 will be a much more serious Porsche competitor than the AMV8.

I'm with you 100% on these points. I'm not a " look at me " bling kinda guy , so something like a Gallardo ( and limited dealer network for similar low volume brands ) is a non starter. OTOH, I appreciate beautifully designed and executed luxury goods of all sorts . The R8 is truly an " everyday " exotic ( glassed in Carrera GT -looking engine presentation in a mid engined layout ) with inclement weather abilities like my 996 Turbo where I can take it to Tahoe even if there is a chance of very light snow on the way home , with Audi dealers along the way in Sacramento and Reno if something broke. I could drive as much as I want , like a Turbo- not worrying about garage queening it for worry of future resale , like some exotic brands .
    Plus , the view from the captain's seat looks a lot cooler than the Turbo / Boxster interior. I can see this car in it's base V8 config stealing a lot of sales from optioned out 997Ss at many Audi/Porsche showrooms , as both are around $100-110 K range .Good marketing strategy for Audi. They would have goofed up if it were ONLY available as a $180,000 exotic in twin v8 or na V10 form.

This car is really making me start to think about switching away from Porsche. If they came out with a V10 spyder I'd take out my checkbook in a minute. Alas, I think that is probably years away.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Mike,

I love the way you outlined and explained the factual statements in your post , very true indeed Aston and Audi are totally different as far as Porsche competition is concerned.

While Mike makes a convincing argument, but I somehow cannot envisage Audi succeeding in what other automakers have failed in (i.e. BMW, Merc).

I assure you that the R8 is one of those cars that are ultra-impressive on paper. However, it won't drive nearly as well as a 997.

Just wait for people to drive it and then you'll realize that it's only a big engine in a sexy shell. Probably it will be an inferior driving experience to current offerings from AMG and M-technic. It's only an Audi afterall

And you have your opinion... You KNOW that R8 is not as good as 997 Carrera S based on DREAMING or...??
    What if R8 proves to be A LOT better then 997 Carrera S(or 4S, Targa 4S etc.)?
    But, NO! That can NOT be true... You KNOW WAY more that most of us here.
    Ignorance and close mindedness in pretty accurate description here...

BTW, Ron, what is your opinion here?

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Mike,

While Mike makes a convincing argument, but I somehow cannot envisage Audi succeeding in what other automakers have failed in (i.e. BMW, Merc).

I assure you that the R8 is one of those cars that are ultra-impressive on paper. However, it won't drive nearly as well as a 997.

Just wait for people to drive it and then you'll realize that it's only a big engine in a sexy shell. Probably it will be an inferior driving experience to current offerings from AMG and M-technic. It's only an Audi afterall

Have you driven a Gallardo? That gets fantastic reviews and it is basically the same thing just less power so I dont see your point...

dsts6: You're right. The Gallardo is absolutely fantastic (I've been a passenger in a 2005 Gallardo, whose owner switched from a 996TT). But can the R8 equal the Gallardo? IMHO, unlikely.

KersoF1: I'm not being ignorant or closed-minded, I'm merely expressing my opinion on Audi vs. Porsche. On the other hand, YOU shuold be able to express your opinion in a more civilized/mature manner. We're all here to talk about a topic that we're passionate about not label each other with descriptions

Did you read your post? Well, sorry if I offended you but, you did make statement based on NOTHING. You did not drive R8, you do not like it and you drive 997 Carrera S TIP as your daily driver.
    Did you see me post on 997 board saying that 997 Carrera S is a bad car? NO.
    OK. I will stop here since we do not agree at all.
    I am sports cars enthusiast, NOT "single brand die hard fan". And for me Porsche is simply not "holy cow"...

Why does the R8 weigh more then a C4S, just wondering cause the one even has back seats. Is it that the R8 is bulkier and wider. I guess its lighter then the 997tt but still i wonder?

Quote:
    Oxonian said:
    dsts6: You're right. The Gallardo is absolutely fantastic (I've been a passenger in a 2005 Gallardo, whose owner switched from a 996TT). But can the R8 equal the Gallardo? IMHO, unlikely.

But even if it is 80% as good as a Gallardo, a 420 hp V8 R8 will be priced close enough to the 380 hp 997S in the US market so that it may steal many sales on the same showroom/service deparment floor , esp for the typical 997S driver around here driving /weaving while doing business on the cell phone. As Mike says, many will treat it as a lower price " Porsche Carrera GT " , at dealerships they already have relationships with. A few Porsche/Audi stores in larger US cities have split their operations to separate buildings to look more upscale, but their ownership /way of doing business remains united.

Guys, we are all gear heads here. We all have favorites because of our different tastes. I think that the one statement that keeps coming up from most of the people on this board is that Porsche better take heed. Many of us have been Porschephiles for years and Porsche counts on us to make every new Porsche successful. I also think that this car could be the one that comes closest to breaking that bind each of us has with Porsche. We all know that Lambo has really shaken Porsches tree with their new products, but many will not pay the price for the Lambos, where as we will try the new R8 because of availability to service and 60000 Dollars US more affordable. Porsche is holding back on Horse Power in order to get us to buy a new car every couple of years and keep their huge profits up. I think if they have not taken notice yet, it may be too late by the time they do notice.

Yes, weight is 1560kg. Order optional Ceramic brakes(-20kg) and bucket seats(-15kg) and you will get little bit less weight... 997 Carrera 4S weights less on paper but, weight is not such a big issue IMO.
    Look at BMW M6, it is heavy car but, it is excellent at accelaration.
    Any way R8 will be faster then RS4. Both in acceleration and on the track. BTW, RS4 is as fast in straight line as 997 Carrera S(X51) or almost as fast.
    Of course I am talking about manual versions of 997 Carrera S.

Quote:
    dsts6 said:
    Why does the R8 weigh more then a C4S, just wondering cause the one even has back seats. Is it that the R8 is bulkier and wider. I guess its lighter then the 997tt but still i wonder?

I think the two weigh about the same and the R8 has a beefy V8 in the back and a more luxurious interior...

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Manual version(say hello to Gallardo!)...

oh my !!!!!!!!!!!

bye bye r-tronic !! ....it is just greattttt!!!!!

I WANTTTT ONEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KersoF1: no offence taken. I'm a finance guy and I like to speculate under uncertainty. My bet is that the R8 will fall short of the 997. I could be wrong, but its a speculation.

MKW: If the R8 is 80% as good as a Gallardo, then Porsche will be is serious trouble.

BTW, I'm thinking of selling my C2S and getting a 2007 Gallardo (my wife isn't too enthusiastic though). I'm just worried about reliability and daily use aspects.

guys i have one more little question!!!!...its kind of dumb but its interesting to know, nevertheless

Kreso, is there any official fuel consumption figuere for the v8 engine, manual and/or r-tronic????

remember this is a v8 engine, and fuel consumptions wont be as good as the 911....at least in theory !!

City 20,8L
    Outside city 9.5L
    Mixed 13,6L
    C02 326g/km
    EU4

what do you think 0-160kph time will be ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689786 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409353 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255807 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235028 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65556 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858119 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774198 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM