Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Is there a fix for the stall/surging problem?

I know this was discussed in other post but it never was established as to whether there is a TB on the problem. I have had my S in once and they corrected the software. However the problem continues especially at slow speeds and it is becoming dangerous i.e. pull on to a street after making a turn and the car almost stalling before lurching/surging ahead.

I am scheduled for another service next week and if there is information to help correct the problem I would like to know about it.

Re: Is there a fix for the stall/surging problem?

I have the same experience as you and, to my knowledge, there is no fix yet. I took mine back after the software update, which did help, and complained again of the hesitation and was told there was nothing further to do at this time. Sometimes the dealers are the last to know though. There is a new set of TSB's that are out that I have not seen yet. If there is anything in them I will report it here. Keep in mind though, the software update that we both received was actually not a documented bulletin.

Another software adjustment was done. I was told that if I drive with two feet; braking with the left and throttle with the right, the problem would continue.

Apparently the stalling is caused because of the lack of time between braking and throttle. I have tried this and for the most part the problem seems to be resolved.

What self respecting Porsche owner is a one foot driver?

Quote:
    nberry said:

I would imagine it is difficult to maintain your self-respect when you are only one foot tall, even if you do drive a Porsche.

fritz

OOPS!

I should have read the whole thread before I submitted that last post.

fritz

Quote:
    nberry said:

Let me see if I understand you right: you're braking with the left foot and you press the throttle with the right foot? Did I understand you right?
    I drive all my automatic cars with the right foot only and this is actually what every driving school is teaching.
    Heel and Toe is the secret, it works with automatic too.
    Using the left foot for braking can be even dangerous because the whole concept of the automatic tranny and the brake/throttle paddles are adapted to one foot operation only. Every wondered why the brake pedal usually is a little bit wider?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    OOPS!

I should have read the whole thread before I submitted that last post.

fritz

...as if by accident...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Another software adjustment was done. I was told that if I drive with two feet; braking with the left and throttle with the right, the problem would continue.

Apparently the stalling is caused because of the lack of time between braking and throttle. I have tried this and for the most part the problem seems to be resolved.

Left foot braking aside, you received a more recent software update? This would be two software updates? Can you give us any more details? If there is a new update, I plan to see my dealer.

Quote:
    GM Austin said:

...as if by accident...

I can see that not much gets past you GM

fritz

Have you had the Tiptronic kickdown software adjustment? I was advised by another poster that there have been 4 software updates.

RC you are streching on this one. A wider brake pedal can make it easier for the left foot to brake. This much I know all the automatic transmissions I have driven using my left foot to brake have not had a problem stalling.

But I suppose given the incredible bias in favor of Porsche on this board many would argue that if a Porsche brake failed it is because the driver did not know how to drive.

Porsche like the Pope is infallible.

Hey Fritz, nice try but your remark is as hollow as all your other comments on this board

We're really making an effort lately to keep this as friendly a forum as it has been in the past so if everyone could please help us out and keep the comments directed toward the cars we would appreciate it.

Nberry, I am aware of Mike's four software updates but my dealer says only one was available. Some time has passed since I last discussed it with them though so if you have recently received something, what was it?

All I know is they made a software adjustment on each visit. I mentioned to the service rep. the Tiptronic kickdown and he nodded as if he knew what I was talking about.

When I picked up the car, the service rep asked me whether I used two feet to drive because his regional rep asked him the question.

Since using only my right foot, the stalling problem so far has resolved itself. When I drive with both feet it begins to stall/surge.

Driving automatics with both feet? I'm curious, whats the reason? thats regarded here as a big no-no for safety reasons. I have driven extensively many automatics since my father only likes automatics and I don't see any advantage over right-foot driving.

The pedal is large and using the left foot I BELIEVE gives me a faster reaction time to brake. Using only your right foot requires lifting your foot off the throttle and moving it over to the brake and then depressing the brake pedal.

Using both feet your left foot needs only to apply the brake pedal and the right foot off the gas. The left foot is always near the brake pedal.

Isn't there a definite advantage with F1 style gearboxes, where the coasting lag can be minimized or eliminated, and driver inputs can be smoothed out? However, I think the others are referencing the apparent throttle cutout that occurs with more advanced left foot braking techniques (which is indeed dangerous).

However, I'm not sure there is a real problem, when used with the kind of driving someone is likely to do in a Cayenne. Unless of course Nick, you tap the throttle when full on the throttle.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    The pedal is large and using the left foot I BELIEVE gives me a faster reaction time to brake. Using only your right foot requires lifting your foot off the throttle and moving it over to the brake and then depressing the brake pedal.

Using both feet your left foot needs only to apply the brake pedal and the right foot off the gas. The left foot is always near the brake pedal.

I see, I guess reaction times should be quicker if the left foot is ready and near the brake. Still, the difference would be only minimal (except in lauches were the difference would be more significant) to be worthwhile IMO, I guess its a personal driving choice with which one feels more confortable with.

Quote:
    Justin said:
    Isn't there a definite advantage with F1 style gearboxes, where the coasting lag can be minimized or eliminated, and driver inputs can be smoothed out?

With the risk of sounding stupid, what is coasting lag? the lag of the throttle after braking into a turn or not being on the throttle?
    All I now is that when I drive non-gearbox karts I use left-foot braking extensively, not to be smooth slowing the car (most of the times I use left-foot braking I already used trail-braking into the turn to help point the kart into the apex), but rather to be able to come out quicker out of the corners, especially if you intend to make a pass before the next curve. They don't have a lot of power and with no gears, maintaining throttle input through the turn while modulationg the result between the brake and the throttle really helps since the engine stays the whole time in the high RPM range for when you need to accelerate out of the corner and need all the power you can get. However, other turns allow you to forget about the brake and coming in at WOT use a quick lift-off oversteer to iniciate the oversteer and continue with throttle overteer then to make the rest of the corner, so the RPMs never drop and the kart still turns around the corner.

I believe F1 one drivers that started out in karting (which most of them then) use left-foot braking in F1 now, but probably more for achieving more smoothness in and out, they have plenty of power and gears.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Hey Fritz, nice try but your remark is as hollow as all your other comments on this board

Nick,

I'll take the "nice try" as a compliment, and praise from you is praise indeed!

fritz

GM: My contribution to maintaining a friendly forum.

Thank you fritz.

Sorry Carlos,
    I meant to say the lag between the time the driver releases their foot from the throttle pedal and applies pressure onto the brake.

Thanks, Justin, I get it now

Fritz, honestly there are other good sport cars in the marketplace. You need to look past Porsche once in a while.
    Many others are and they are pleasantly surprised.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM