Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Thicker vs Multi func steering wheel

For those of you who orderd thicker steering wheel, are you happy with your decision? Do you get tired on long drives? If you had to do it again, would you order multi func wheel? Any comment on pros and cons on both is appreciated. Thx.

Re: Thicker vs Multi func steering wheel

YES! Very happy with my decision! I originally had a multi-function steering wheel on order but then I was able to try both out in Austria. First I drove a tiptronic version with the MF steering wheel and then I switched to a manual with the thicker steering wheel. Day and night difference between the two. It was just so much more enjoyable driving the Turbo with the thicker rims. I didn't even mind losing the buttons either. And I drove both versions for long distances and both were fine.

Why choose when you can have both?

(I agree this option epitomizes "extortionate pricing" though )

I have the "thicker" steering wheel, but I have found that it is not that much thicker (still too thin compared to the same thing for my 996TT). When I ordered my 997TT, it was either the thicker steering wheel (without multi-function) or the multi-function steering wheel but without the thicker leather option. I believe now you can have a "thicker" multi-function steering wheel.

thicker is better .... they should come out with thicker steering wheel with Muti func

Quote:
    TWSLK55 said:
    thicker is better .... they should come out with thicker steering wheel with Muti func

I really like the multifunction wheel, with the CF insert and finished in full leather (even the bottom bar). If they could do it thicker, with a smaller diameter, it would be a bestseller.

There is the option of thicker multifunction wheel from Exclusive.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    There is the option of thicker multifunction wheel from Exclusive.

Yes, I know. What would be really cool for this car would be the addition of a smaller diameter multifunction wheel - you can't get the smaller diameter with buttons or CF right now, nor can you fully clad it in leather.

Quote:
    TWSLK55 said:

agree thicker is always better

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    TWSLK55 said:

Dimitri, I hope that was your wife typing, not you .

This is what I want to add on From Rinspeed

I did get to try a Turbo with the MF steering wheel that has the aluminum rims and although it's thicker than the leather version, it wasn't as satisfying as the sport rims.

I looked for the option for MF with thicker leather rims and it doesn't exist AFAIK. I would've gotten that if it did. If someone can provide an option code for the MF with thicker rims then I'll believe that it does exist. I would've ordered that.

It's too late for me now since I ordered the sport version with the thicker rims BUT I'm swapping it out to the TechArt version.

If I could do it again, I'd get the MF steering wheel and swap it out to the TechArt rims. Theirs is perfect IMHO.

This is the sport steering wheel with thicker rims.

This is the MF steering wheel with the thinner rims

And this is the MF steering wheel with aluminum. (note the lack of thumbrests. It does have the bump stops on the back)

I still despise the round mini cooperish/vw steering wheel, and prefer the classic look of the thicker 3-spoke 996 wheel with leather airbag and crest. The shape is what kills me on the 997 wheel.

So if the MF is available in thicker, and with a leather airbag module, crested, I'd probably go that route. I just don't like that round center.

My 2 cents.

Quote:
    rhino said:

Rinspeed

It's ironic, I didn't care for the "round" look either but it's since then grown on me. I love it now. Fits the sporting character of the car, IMHO. Still, I'd get the MF version with the TechArt conversion if I could do it all over again.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    TWSLK55 said:

i was talking about the steering wheel...you?

431 Multifunction steering wheel
    +
    CPA Thicker leather MF steering wheel

This is on my order and you will see it in November...
    BTW, you need to order both codes to get Thicker MF wheel.
    CPA is Porsche Exclusive option.

Just looked at my options packet and looks like that option code is new. I'm still curious as to what it'll look like, so please do post pictures.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm still satisfied with my choices.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    TWSLK55 said:

i was talking about the steering wheel...you?

Why, steering wheels, of course! Err... Let's just forget this conversation ever happened .

the multi -functions seem to work well enough but i've found that when i'm involved with engaging road work i'm not much into fooling with all that is available with this wheel.... i definitely agree that a thicker wheel is the only way to go from a driving perspective....i like the techart wheel that other have gotten. this is also available with the multifunction controls....imo best of both worlds.

The sport thicker steering wheel is much preferred over the multifunction steering wheel due to the smaller diameter wheel. This provides for more leg and knee room for tall drivers (I am 6'7").
    The thumb rests at the 2:00 and 10:00 position are also very comfortable on long rides and good for the fast & twisty roads!
    The multifuncion controls would be nice but the compromise regarding the above points is not a good tradeoff for myself.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    431 Multifunction steering wheel
    +
    CPA Thicker leather MF steering wheel

This is on my order and you will see it in November...
    BTW, you need to order both codes to get Thicker MF wheel.
    CPA is Porsche Exclusive option.

I have the round steering wheel in my 997S and just can't get use to it and the reason for switching to MFSW. This CPA option is a good idea.

Trip to the delaer today revelaed that CPA option (Thicker MFSW) is a $980 adder plus the $250 for MFSW itself. The description says thicker MFWS in crossed stitch leather. Does the cross stitch means palm of your hand will be touching the threads? Anyone has any picture of this option?

It's probably the stitching across the inside of the rims. All of them have it. I seriously doubt that the stitching would be on the sides or the outsides.

Do you think its worth $1000? Would you get this option if you still could change your order?

Interesting..your dealership might be overcharging you. I've got the official order guide here (I'll email it to you if you PM me your email address). The CPA is $930 not $980. I probably wouldn't have gone that route. What I'd have done instead is just get the 431 - Multifunction steering wheel for $250 and then get the TechArt rims for it. But if I were to order it again without planning on getting the TechArt version then I'd defiitely say that it's worth the extra expense. It's really amazing how much better thicker rims are than the skinny rims. Makes driving much more enjoyable.

Thanks Jason. I tried the MFSW today and it didn't feel skinny though. I may have misread the $930 and thought it was $980. Thanks for your help. I will get it

Quote:
    rhino said:

Now that Rinspeed wheel is a GREAT look. I like the horn ring around it being covered in Alcantara too. I need to get the stock ring (vulcan grey) painted.

I really think Rinspeed is the best option aside from the GT3 wheel(which is not an option for the TT).

Dealer tried to add this CPA option and system accepts the CPA option but rejects Adaptive sport seat and syas Adaptive NOT avaiable so we could not add this option today and the dealer says Porsche could be out of Adaptive seats. Dealer will call the main office tomnorrow to see if Porsche is out of Adaptive seats or if its just a bug. I'll be Pi$ed if Porsche is out of Adaptive seats.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    800574 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    447530 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265403 323
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    264324 288
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89545 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

884523 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    830573 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM