Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 996 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Made it back alive!! -- Eastern Europe trip

Well, we made it! As RC reported earlier, we made a trip down through the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungry, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey to Istanbul and then back again via Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece and the ferry to Italy where we joined the hoards of tourists heading north (the worst part of the trip by far).

We covered about 9,000 km in a little less than three weeks.

The trip went well but was not without its little adventures. In Turkey we blew a rear tyre and had to limp into Istanbul on the space-saver spare.

And I lost count of the number of time we got stopped for speeding by confused police officers.

In general, the road conditions were a little tougher than I had expected (probably because we went a little further off the beaten path than I had originally planned) but security was probably a little better than expected. It is just my personal impression but I felt like security was better in some of the less developed parts of eastern Europe than it was in the more developed areas (Czech more risky than Romania for example).

Travelling in a Turbo felt a little like travelling in a space ship in places like rural Romania. The good thing about being in such a nice car was that everyone paid special attention to security. You were always parked in the best lit, best guarded spot. Border guards were often a little more interested in the vehicle documentation than they would have been with an average car but sadly, not one ever matched up the registration with the VIN. Alas, living with a stolen car in continental Europe would be too easy.

As you can imagine, we never saw another Porsche of any type in Romania and few elsewhere. The biggest surprise was passing another 996 Turbo headed the other way just a few miles from the Romanian border in Hungry.

Otherwise, an uneventful trip. The car now needs servicing and a bunch of warranty attention.

A few car related photos from the trip can be found here:

http://www.986host.com/gallery/FixedWing?&page=4
    http://www.986host.com/gallery/FixedWing?&page=5
    http://www.986host.com/gallery/FixedWing?&page=6

S.

Re: Made it back alive!! -- Eastern Europe trip

FixedWing, your car looks great. Looks like you had a fantastic trip. Thanks for sharing the pictures. What country did you enjoy most?

Welcome back...

...I surely enjoyed your trip description and the highly interesting pictures.
    Well, I told you about the roads before, didn't I?

Regarding security: don't feel too safe in these countries. Especially Romania and Bulgaria are dangerous because they don't seem to be dangerous at first sight. The Czech Rep. and Hungaria are apparently more dangerous for tourists in expensive cars but don't underestimate the criminal minds in less developed countries.

I think I read a statistic about car sales in Romania a few weeks ago and as far as I remember, I saw one new Porsche sold in 2001 by Porsche Romania. One single car.
    I really don't know if this is true but on my last trip there, I didn't see one single Porsche over there. A lot of SUVs however, especially the Grand Cherokee, Mitsubishi Pajero and some Mercedes ML. On these roads over there, the perfect cars.

Belgium!!

It is great to be home.

Seriously, parts of Romania were very nice. They truely are for the hard-core though better not to take a new car there. The mountain photos were taken there. In fact, September TopGear magazine has a photo in it which was taken in almost exactly the same spot.

Take a look at the placement of the armco in those photos. I have come to the conclusion that the Romanians buy used armco from places like Nürburgring and then just stick the short sections up wherever. Half the time they don't even bother with end posts. In about 20 years they will be finished. Each piece looks like it has been previously used.

I also enjoyed Bulgaria because the speeds were higher. Better suited for the Turbo maybe. Even the short lag on the turbo for the 996 can get a bit tiring on tight hairpins with massive drops. Under these conditions what you really need is immediate and consistent power.

Turkey really has the right idea. All of those machine guns are intended to keep the traffic moving right along. It works! Istanbul was my favourite city though better to use the cheating taxi drivers than drive a nice car yourself.

Speed traps everywhere in northern Greece but the mountain roads are very well suited to the Turbo. That's where I ruined my latest set of brake pads.

I think the car might one day look great again but right now it is extremely dirty. At 46,000 km it isn't a new car anymore.

S.

Good advice

You are giving good advice RC. Over the years, I've spent a lot of time in Cambodia and I do recall how newcomers often didn't recognise the danger that they were in. Appearance can deceve.

S.

Regarding the blown tire...

...I saw the picture and something isn't right. Looks like a production flaw if you ask me. You might want to contact Porsche to tell them.

Regarding spare tires: next time you do such a trip, take the phone number from Porsche Germany with you.
    I know that the Customer Commitment Department always helps customers in emergency situations and I'm sure there would have been the possibility to ship a Pirelli tire to Turkey in 24 hours (maybe through diplo mail?).

I remember when I had a problem with my former 996 and a guy at the factory told me to take his phone number and phone him whenever I need help. He would get me ANY part in latest 48 hours to my location. Now this is what I call customer commitment.

Re: Regarding the blown tire...

I am absolutely sure you are right on the tyre. It shouldn't have blown under the conditions we were running it. It wasn't low on air and there was no evidence of a puncture. At the moment of the blowout we were travelling straight at 200 km/h. I had just slowed from 230 km/h. I'm just glad that we were on highway and not the mountain roads we had been on an hour prior.

I'm no expert but the belts appear to have seperated on the inside sidewall. I never saw the tyre off the car though. Now I wish I had taken the time to ask to see it but at that moment it wasn't the priority.

My Belgian dealer told me that his Pirelli supplier told him that the tyres that Pirelli gives to Porsche and Porsche dealers are of a better quality than then ones that are sold generally. The one that blew up was originally sold in the USA. It is an interesting theory at least even if not totally believable.

I am sure that if I had made enough noise something could have been done. Had I been stuck in Istanbul with [b]no[/b] tyre then I would have made some noise. As it is, at least I could roll.

The handling on the car with one new rear tyre and one used rear tyre was unusual to say the least. Only in an emergency should a Turbo be driven that way. In the mountains it was quite dangerous.

The trip was quite an experience but I have to say that I am really enjoying being back in Belgium today. I need a rest!! This morning I dropped the car off at the dealer with a 2-page list of things that needed attention. No idea when I will have it back again.

S.

Tire quality...

...ALL Pirelli P-Zero tires with N-classification have the SAME quality worldwide. As far as I know, Pirelli produces N-classified tires at their Germany factory only.
    IF your blown tire had an N-classification (it must have been N3 on the Turbo), it was the standard approved tire for the Turbo. From the picture I'd say that there was a production flaw but I have to admit that I'm no expert.
    Maybe the tire lost air and you didn't feel it? However this is very unlikely at speeds over 200 kph.

I'd contact Porsche anyway to get some answers. I bet you didn't take the blown tire with you but the pictures give a pretty good impression of what happened.

Re: Tire quality...

RC, I also heard that story about different tire qualities and got this confirmed by a well known Ferrari dealer in Germany. First quality productions with less tolerances are used to be delivered to the car manufacturers.

Since when do Ferraris run on N-classified tires?
    Not on N-classified tires. On N-classified tires, quality is always the same. This is an agreement signed with Porsche and I highly doubt that Pirelli would brake it.
    On non N-classified tires, tire quality can vary a lot, no doubt about it. It also depends where (factory) the tire has been manufactured.

Did you know that there is a production date on tires? You should also check if your tire set is from the same production.

Another useful advice is to check the tires after mounting. The tire walls are slippery for a while (a few hours) and can make the tires change their position on the wheel. Mark the valve position on the tire, so you are able to control if the balance is still ensured.

It also depends a lot...

...on the guy who's mounting the tire. Especially 18'' tires are very sensible to excessive force during the mounting process.
    If the mechanic who mounts the tire to the rim isn't careful, he can do invisible damage to the tire.

FixedWing said that he alread has almost 50000 km on his car, so I suppose that the tires he has on it have already been exchanged once somewhere. This is where the problem could have initiated. Some mechanics are too dumb to follow their tire mounting safety instructions.

Re: Emergency Assist

that brings on a question... is there any kind of "porsche 24 hour road assistance emergency service"? i know this from my BMW and my father's merc, but what if i have a serious problem with my porsche on a sunday?

if porsche goes into mainstream now with 6 cylinder cayennes, they can't leave this field blank i think. or better call VW's road service?

There was a 24 h emergency service in Stuttgart area but I don't know if it is still available.
    I don't know about the US but in Germany, Porsche surely has to improve emergency roadside assistance, especially with the Cayenne introduction.

I believe it is specific to the importer.

Mine is a Belgian car. I have road-side assist included during the warranty period anywhere in Europe (this includes Turkey and, if I remember correctly, a little of north Africa).

To get it I must call Brussels and I must remain resident in Belgium.

I've used it once in Belgium. I didn't try to use it in Turkey as I knew it was going to take a lot longer than would changing the tyre myself.

S.

The tyre has a bit of a history

The tyre that blew came mounted on a second set of rims that I bought used in the USA and transported to Belgium.

The tyres had 7/10th tread remaining. It obviously wasn't the original tyre on that rim.

I had my dealer mount the wheel on my car just before I left Belgium and, as you can see, the tread was just above the wear bars on the inside when it failed.

S.

Michelin

RC,

Do you have any info on when Michelin will resume manufacturing the 295/30ZR18 for the back of the Turbo??

I was told maybe 2H02 but so far I've seen nothing to suggest this might be true.

I would love to be able to run Michelins on my car on the street. They're obviously better in the rain. Also, as a member of the PCD I can get a full set for Euro 636 ... but not if Michelin won't make them.

S.

Re: Michelin

I drive the Michelin Pilot Sport on all sports cars and I can confirm that they are soooo much better in rain compared to the Pirelli P Zero.

The member rates for Michelin tires offered by the Porsche Club Deutschland (PCD) are very interesting. Unfortunately some important tire sizes are not available at this time, e.g. the GT2 tires. Porsche dealers, at least in Germany, are able to organize the tires within a few days ... for the official Porsche price tag, of course.

Last I knew, the GT2 was on the list ...

Last time I checked, the GT2 was on PCD's list of available tyre sizes.

S.

Re: Last I knew, the GT2 was on the list ...

Yes, the GT2 tires are on that list but as far as I understood, only GT2 drivers get them because of limited supplies.
    They check it by the VIN number.

Here's the list, the Adobe Acrobat Reader is needed to view it:
    PCD-Michelin Tire Availability/Order Form (.pdf format)

Please be aware that one has to be a member of the Porsche Club Germany to take advantage of this offer.

The tires are on that list but the rear tires are not available at this time.

I too heard that they are very careful with the distribution of these tyres. The prices are so much lower than commercial prices that they have to be careful.

Of course, I haven't been able to check this out first-hand being as I cannot get the Michelins to fit my car.

I joined the Porsche Club of Nürburgring at the beginning of the year specifically because I wanted to get the tyres. The price difference easily justifies the membership fee. But at the moment I joined the club published an updated list without the 996 Turbo. Can't win.

Rudi Philipp of PCN did suggest ot me trying to use the GT2 tyre on the Turbo so maybe they aren't that careful about matching up the VIN to the tyres ordered?

S.

Re: Made it back alive!! -- Eastern Europe trip

Great photos, and it must be an experience for you... I can't imagine navigating in such places, Does the GPS software show the map of the trip?

I always wanted to go to Eastern Europe, never thought about bring my 996 Turbo tho

Who needs GPS?

With so few roads, GPS is almost unnecessary. Good old fashioned map book should be enough. In fact, most of the region is only covered in one large-scale map covering two pages in the Michelin Europe map book.

William, in the last few days of the trip, Edna and I started to talk about driving the Europe to Hongkong route. Three possible ways to go: 1) the northerly route through Russia and down. 2) the middle route through the Kunjab (sp?) pass from Pakistan into China and 3) the southerly route through India. Could be fun!!! Not so far really. :)

Do you know what the biggest problem would be? That Hongkong doesn't allow LHD cars in. We could probably make it all the way to Lowu but no further.

S.

Stephen, now I'm absolutely positive...

In reply to:
    Edna and I started to talk about driving the Europe to Hongkong route. Three possible ways to go: 1) the northerly route through Russia and down. 2) the middle route through the Kunjab (sp?) pass from Pakistan into China and 3) the southerly route through India. Could be fun!!!

...you're completely NUTS.

Re: When you decided to do it...

Please count me in We could be the only nuts who drove a 996 Turbo half way across the world.

Re: I second that :D (NT)

Do it in a 996 Turbo?

Now you're the one that's nuts William. I doubt a Turbo would make it ... but it just might. Maybe a convoy??? Or better still, a race?

I was thinking we should talk to Porsche about giving us a Cayenne to take across. Good advertising for them. Know anyone that is buying a Cayenne in Hongkong? Why don't you talk to them and see if they'd like you to collect it in London and bring it to them. Tell them it would save them the shipping charges. It would also be a lot cheaper in London and they would only need to pay the taxes on a (well) used vehicle.

My wife's boss here in Brussels has ordered a RHD BMW M3 to take back to Hongkong. I was thinking of offering to drive that back for her. The SMG would be nice on a long trip like that.

S.

Flattery will get you everywhere RC. :)

If Porsche gives us a Cayenne...

...I'd take part in such a trip. Maybe a convoy of several Cayenne driving the "old" route from Europe to Asia?
    I'm a bit concerned about driving through Pakistan however but maybe Porsche could provide us with bulletproof Cayennes? There's a huge market for such high safety cars throughout Eastern Europe and Asia.

Count me in guys.
    Do you hear us Porsche???

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777237 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441702 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262780 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260956 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85224 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5571 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880656 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815959 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM