Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AMG C43 - Impulse buy

Mercedes screen and UI designs are a joke even compared to Porsche. So much space wasted, no way to configure nicely... Can't wait for Apple to crush that market...

SciFrog:

Mercedes screen and UI designs are a joke even compared to Porsche. So much space wasted, no way to configure nicely... Can't wait for Apple to crush that market...

I agree, Mercedes isn't there yet... Even the old Porsche PCM (3.1) looks better.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I agree, The Mercedes system is behind. It is awful to navigate through the menus. In the pro side - the voice recognition is the best I ever had. Also, the autonomous driving is very very advanced.

We've been looking for a successor of my wife's Audi S4 Estate which had two weeks back his 8th anniversary and 115k km and she's been really annoyed by its extreme fuel consumption (>18,5L driving in the city w/o any "special car maneuvers" resp. 12-13L on Austrian highways rolling @140/150 km/h).

I wanted to replace that car with an Audi A6 Competition Avant (as our 3 year old daughter needs more space in the future) but basically she wanted smaller car with less fuel consumption and AWD, for the rest she didn't care to much.

So I started to look for such a car and found the AMG GLA45 as that car ticked all the boxes but when we wanted to take a test drive we noticed that the trunk was to small and in the showroom we saw a GLC's and C estates.

So we took drives in GLC 350d (great car, good on gas, nice drive but somehow boring) and a C43 Coupé (what a sound, fuel consumption is fair, nice automatic tranny, lot of gadgets) and on Monday I took delivery of my wife's new car, a AMG C43 T which has been a Mercedes factory car before (9 months old/ 10k km).

fullsizeoutput_2f52.jpeg

IMG_0111.JPG

Basically the car is (almost) fully loaded, it has even the AMG Performance seats BUT unfortunately the sales guy mixed up (standard) "Sportauspuffanlage" with AMG "Performance exhaust" so our car isn't fitted with the great AMG part which is a definite must-have @C43 as the sound is just fantastic and as it's switchable you can adapt it to your moodfrownOn the phone the dealer assured me that AMG exhaust was included but in all written offers only "Sportauspuffanlage" was mentioned and so I couldn't cancel the car anymore w/o paying a cancellation fee mail 

So I took it back home, as I normally barely drive my car (Mini Cooper Works) and all my business trips are via airplane I just wanted to have something nice with "some kind of performance" and sound so now I try to have the AMG exhaust system retrofitted but all in all after driving it now for 500km I must admit that this car's really a nice ride for our needs (AWD, enough space and power) and the fuel consumption is also lower than before.

@Lars997

MANY THANKS for your support prior to the purchase as that simplified the decision making a lot Smiley

Congratulations. Hope you can enjoy that car as much as we can. 

I had recently the A45 as a courtesy car and was badly disappointed. Didn't feel like a Mercedes. You will enjoy the C-Class, I'm sure!

Safe journeys!

Congrats, a great car. Also looking at it as a DD but I barly need it

Congrats! Nice car! What is the size? Like an Audi 4 estate or 3 sportback?

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

It is like an Audi A4

Nice car Lord D kiss

Josef:

It is like an Audi A4

Smiley

Looks like a great family sport wagon Smiley

--

Exactly and in the most recent Auto Bild Sportcar there is a short test of a C43 with a EUR 750 chip tuning to 435 hp indecision

The AMG C Wagon is one the most desirable options in the market. It has the perfect size and shape together with those hot AMG engines it makes the best option without any doubt. Competition is far away , very nice buy, congrats 

--

J.Seven

Thanks to all for your nice words, Looking forward to drive the car by mid of next week again (being away again).

@Josef

I read the same article today on the plane, was a nice artcle and it seems that this tuner/ Recechip is good?

->  https://www.racechip.com/shop/mercedes-benz/c-class-w_s205-from-2014/c-43-amg-2996ccm-367hp-270kw-520nm.html?product=chip_ultima...

Another nice tuner would be (thanks @Lars) DTE Tuning

->  https://www.chiptuning.com/en/mercedes-benz/c-klasse-kombi-s205-2014/amg-c-43-4-matic-205-264-367ps-270kw-2996ccm/powercontrol.h...

Unfortunately our car hasn't the AMG performance exhaust so I'm wondering if I could still do these mods w/o retrofitting any sport exhaust?

What do you think as I'm not so deep into tuning (yet)...

Josef:

Exactly and in the most recent Auto Bild Sportcar there is a short test of a C43 with a EUR 750 chip tuning to 435 hp indecision

SmileySmileySmiley

--

Mercedes seems to offer good deals for their cars...

Just yesterday, a customer of mine who works for a large insurance company, ordered a Mercedes GLE 43 AMG.

That insurance seems to have some sort of buying/lease program for employees and while he initially wanted a Macan because he always liked my wife's former Macan Turbo, he went with the Mercedes.

Why? He got 20% rebate from Mercedes and Porsche offered only 8% for the Macan. Huge difference.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I read the same article today on the plane, was a nice artcle and it seems that this tuner/ Recechip is good?

->  https://www.racechip.com/shop/mercedes-benz/c-class-w_s205-from-2014/c-43-amg-2996ccm-367hp-270kw-520nm.html?product=chip_ultima...

Another nice tuner would be (thanks @Lars) DTE Tuning

->  https://www.chiptuning.com/en/mercedes-benz/c-klasse-kombi-s205-2014/amg-c-43-4-matic-205-264-367ps-270kw-2996ccm/powercontrol.h...

Unfortunately our car hasn't the AMG performance exhaust so I'm wondering if I could still do these mods w/o retrofitting any sport exhaust?

What do you think as I'm not so deep into tuning (yet)...

Two very similar offers, very interesting, thanks.

I guess the missing AMG exhaust should not be an issue but I am not an expert either.

RC:

Mercedes seems to offer good deals for their cars...

Just yesterday, a customer of mine who works for a large insurance company, ordered a Mercedes GLE 43 AMG.

That insurance seems to have some sort of buying/lease program for employees and while he initially wanted a Macan because he always liked my wife's former Macan Turbo, he went with the Mercedes.

Why? He got 20% rebate from Mercedes and Porsche offered only 8% for the Macan. Huge difference.

Huge difference! Especially those GLE / GLC Coupes are selling like hot cake. They actually have a very long delivery time. The Macan hype is a bit over, whoever wanted one got one. 

I was also looking into an C63S T but living in Austria we need a car with AWD!

So we looked as well at GLC43 but the waiting time resp. availability isn't that great therefore we went for the C43T and after my wife gets accustomed to the power my plan would be to switch for an GLC 63S in two to three years timesmiley

Prices are crazy in Germany, in Austria you can't get more than 12-15% discount on AMGs, for our car we've got almost -40% (!!) so it was a no brainer to buy it and import it ourselves...

And your (German) special deals (lease and insurrance offers) aren't available with usmail

So now I'm very tempted to do some tuning to the car but I'm still a little bit worried about damages if we're doing it via a "box" and escpecially as we don't have the AMG exhaust.yes

Lord_Driftalot:

I was also looking into an C63S T but living in Austria we need a car with AWD!

So we looked as well at GLC43 but the waiting time resp. availability isn't that great therefore we went for the C43T and after my wife gets accustomed to the power my plan would be to switch for an GLC 63S in two to three years timesmiley

Prices are crazy in Germany, in Austria you can't get more than 12-15% discount on AMGs, for our car we've got almost -40% (!!) so it was a no brainer to buy it and import it ourselves...

And your (German) special deals (lease and insurrance offers) aren't available with usmail

So now I'm very tempted to do some tuning to the car but I'm still a little bit worried about damages if we're doing it via a "box" and escpecially as we don't have the AMG exhaust.yes

Germany has a very competitive car market. The GLE 43 AMG my customer ordered has a 7 months waiting time...and he still got 20% (through the company he is employed at though).

What is interesting is the fact that dealers usually get incentives for lease deals, so a lease can be "cheaper" or more interesting than actually buying and/or financing the car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Good evening,
    When I wanted to pick up my wife from the airport today, there was a iron pipe on my lane, which I could not avoid (on the lane next to me was another vehicle) or brake to a standstill (behind another 10m distance another vehicle) So I had to "drive over" ... Conclusion Tire damage right front (see photos):

Now to my questions:

• Should I now better change both tires on the front axle?
    • Or all four right away (front + rear axle)?
    • If I should change all, what tire would you recommend?
      • Currently Dunlop Sport Maxx RT MO are mounted on 19 "
      • The tires have about 10.5k KM down, wear is the same for all four as the front tire in the photos

I am glad about your advice / opinions, thanks & kind regards

1495903909918IMG_0253.JPGIMG_0254.JPG

Sorry to hear/see that. Gladly (hopefully), no more damage was done.

I would definitely change both tires on the front axle. If the tires on the rear axle still have 6-7 mm left, no need to change them. Talk to your trusted Mercedes mechanic though, he should have more experience with this type of car than I have.

As to the recommended tire type, I don't have a clue. If you were happy with the Dunlop, stick to it. If not, ask the mechanic if there are alternatives (with M0 rating) for your car.

I understood that this is your family car, so maybe you should stick with the Dunlop M0.

--

Hello RC,

gladly nothing else happened, even though that I was on my way together with my little girl (3yrs) and we had to wait almost two hours for the tow away truck! heart

As we did only drive 600km since we took delivery of the car I have frankly speaking no clue about this tire, so far I liked it a lot but I was interested in maybe (better) options:

• Michelin Pilot Sport 4 MO *according to latest tyre test this should do the trick
    • Dunlop Sport Maxx RT MO
    • Conti SportContact 5 MO

Let's see what Mercedes will tell me next Monday, if I switch to another tyre than Dunlop I'd have to change all four tyres!laugh

Lord_Driftalot:

Hello RC,

gladly nothing else happened, even though that I was on my way together with my little girl (3yrs) and we had to wait almost two hours for the tow away truck! heart

As we did only drive 600km since we took delivery of the car I have frankly speaking no clue about this tire, so far I liked it a lot but I was interested in maybe (better) options:

• Michelin Pilot Sport 4 MO *according to latest tyre test this should do the trick
    • Dunlop Sport Maxx RT MO
    • Conti SportContact 5 MO

Let's see what Mercedes will tell me next Monday, if I switch to another tyre than Dunlop I'd have to change all four tyres!laugh

Some manufacturers offer a damage warranty for a certain period of time (like for example Pirelli for my PZero PZ4 on my R8). The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 M0 sounds interesting...the Conti SportContact 5 M0 isn't that bad either. No clue about the Dunlop (your original tire).

--

600km - I would change only the broken tire. And - I would change to the same brand/type than the rest of the car! The Dunlop is ok, but I would recommend the Michelin Club Sport 2 for serious fun (kidding) smiley For all year round the Michelin Pilot Sport will be the better choice than the Dunlop Sport Contact. Stay away of the Conti - my friend has them and they are noisy 

@Lars

The tires are about 10,5k KM, I just did drive only 600km since delivery!

So I fear that we'd have to change at least two of them and in case the total wear is off to much, I'd change all four (and in this case to the Michelin Sport 4S)

Ah ok - I see. In that case - how much rubber left on the rear ones? You indeed might want to think about changing all four!

@Lars

I'll have them checked tomorrow and will then decide...

Lars,

I believe you are supposed to change all tires simultaneously on an AWD car because the computers checking for wheel slip are assuming tire diameters are factory spec, thus old tires in the back will have a very slightly smaller diameter causing the computer to think poor traction. This is also why you need to change left and right at the same time; so the ABS doesn't think it's rotating (or slipping) more than the other.

waiting for PDK:

Lars,

I believe you are supposed to change all tires simultaneously on an AWD car because the computers checking for wheel slip are assuming tire diameters are factory spec, thus old tires in the back will have a very slightly smaller diameter causing the computer to think poor traction. This is also why you need to change left and right at the same time; so the ABS doesn't think it's rotating (or slipping) more than the other.

Depends on how much profile the rear tires have left. 6-7 mm should be the limit but of course, it would be more ideal to exchange all four tires.

--

waiting for PDK:

Lars,

sounds feasible!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776599 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441470 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262654 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260792 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85078 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5494 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880484 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815591 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM