Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

W8MM:
    noone1:

Ok, let's just take a poll.

Rennteamers, when is the last time your spun your car on a normal road? Not snow and ice. Just normal hardcore driving on the street.

SmileySmileySmileySmileySmiley

Do you always drive below 0.5g?

I must admit spinning my car on the public road is not a regular occurrence for my either, unless in my late teens when sideways was the only way to drive. I've spun the RS one time on the public road while drifting around a roundabout, during regular hardcore driving it seems hard to imagine how to spin. Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

W8MM:
    noone1:

Rennteamers, when is the last time your spun your car on a normal road? Not snow and ice. Just normal hardcore driving on the street.

If you spin your car on a public road just because you're driving it really hard, you should lose your license IMO. Incredibly dangerous and stupid. Requires insane speed or terrible driving to spin a modern car.

Porker:
    W8MM:
    noone1:

I must admit spinning my car on the public road is not a regular occurrence for my either, unless in my late teens when sideways was the only way to drive. I've spun the RS one time on the public road while drifting around a roundabout, during regular hardcore driving it seems hard to imagine how to spin. Smiley

Did you wreck the RS doing that? Hard to imagine spinning out in a round about and not hitting the curb really hard. Roundabouts are typically not very wide. Unless you spun it going a very, very low speed.

noone1:
    W8MM:
    noone1:

If you spin your car on a public road just because you're driving it really hard, you should lose your license IMO. Incredibly dangerous and stupid.

You got it wrong: People drive hard and the spinning is just a side-effect. Nothing to worry about. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

IMG_4057.JPGOur video taking attempts were cut short today, too much wind for the Hover Camera drone. Nice toy for taking selfies and videos of groups but as a drone very limited. Will need to get the Mavic I'm afraid.

Everyone needs a Mavic! It is just fun and the results are so much better than with my previous Phantom 2

noone1:
    Porker:
    W8MM:
    noone1:

Did you wreck the RS doing that? Hard to imagine spinning out in a round about and not hitting the curb really hard. Roundabouts are typically not very wide. Unless you spun it going a very, very low speed.

No of course not, it just spun. It was a double lane roundabout, it just spun around its axis. No harm done. 

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad

Porker:
    noone1:
    Porker:
    W8MM:
    noone1:

No of course not, it just spun. It was a double lane roundabout, it just spun around its axis. No harm done. 

Ah...roundabouts...real tire killers but so much fun. Smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Porker:
    noone1:
    Porker:
    W8MM:
    noone1:

Ah...roundabouts...real tire killers but so much fun. Smiley 

These were once Trofeo R's, RIP Smiley

IMG_1016.JPG

--

kiss One reason I do this stuff only when I have kids in the car (to entertain them)...or when the tires are done anyway. 

Black rims? What is wrong with you? indecision wink

--

Yesterday I took the 911R up then down Sea-to-Sky highway, in the rain.

Not crazy fast but had a few tail out moments with hydroplaning, been there done that with the Speciale before, it was actually scarier in the Speciale. Both on Cup2s. Did the run with the GT3RS in similar conditions too, but that car has the Dunlop Sport Maxx Race, the OTHER tire that came with the GT3RS. The Dunlops definitely has more grip in the rain than the Cup2s, hydroplane less. 

The 918 also ran in the same conditions before too, and that's the big surprise, it hydroplane even less than the GT3RS on same sized Cup2s, I am guessing the weight is the advantage there, more eight pushing down on the tire to force water out of the groves, so the tires don't 'float' as much on top of the water. 

Some would think it's dangerous, especially if it's their first time driving the road in such condition. But I did it so many times I know which section will have stationary water and how deep will it be and at what speed it will be safe, that's how much I know that road smiley

Another observation, the diffuser is definitely working on the 911R, I can see the rooster tail of vapour behind me, concentrated down the middle of the car, just like all the other cars that I have with a diffuser. 

--

Back to McLaren

9 things you should know

--

AM

So when do you get yours? indecision

--

I am waiting for the spider devil

Yesterday I did take a little time and took out mine 650. What a great car. I was driving here in Schwarzwald on public roads - so I had to take more care. But I think that 99% of the time my driving license was in great danger and I was with one foot in prison. Driving open and hearing the sound of the engine (mine is very loud and has a nice sound - sports exhaust) with the nice surrounding is such a great experience.

The car accelerates so fast - the time in between two turns seems to disappear. The steering is so precise and informativ. The breaks needs few minutes to get warm but then they are very strong. 

I start to learn to brake-steer, you have to brake in the turn later then normally I would do in GT3RS. It is as Alonso said for the Indy 500 - the foot has it's own brain. I am telling myself go on and brake later but very often my foot brakes too early.

--

AM

What is happening with Pirelli? They have stopped the production of all McLaren tires??? Including mine Smiley

Guten Morgen Herr xxxx,

ich dreh durch, wenn ich das so sagen darf. Die Italiener haben die komplette Produktion der McLaren Reifen gestoppt. Warum auch immer. Ich warte noch auf weitere Informationen.

Von: xxxxn, DE [mailto:xxxx@pirelli.com
    Gesendet: Donnerstag, 18. Mai 2017 08:48
    Betreff: IP 2649300 und 2649400

image003.png

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Pirelli Deutschland GmbH

1495202272172image003.png
    --

AM

New tires with McLaren rating coming? Smiley

--

They are probably upgrading all their tires to the latest compounds.

noone1:

They are probably upgrading all their tires to the latest compounds.

I would assume the same... Smiley Which would be great for owners of "old" cars as well.

Audi will do the same (although probably not as thorough as McLaren): The new Michelin PS4S with Audi rating is supposed to be offered with the next model year for the R8 but apparently as an alternative to the Cup 2, which doesn't make any sense. Unless there is going to be a new Cup 2 R02.

Considering the huge advances (it seems) in tire technology, it only makes sense that a performance car oriented manufacturer like McLaren chooses to "update" their tire choices, incl. older cars. Pretty commendable if true.

--

Yes, but my tires are gone - just 0,0001 mm and I need new!

Please Pirelli start the production - pleeeaaassse

--

AM

ALDO:

Yes, but my tires are gone - just 0,0001 mm and I need new!

Please Pirelli start the production - pleeeaaassse

Oops... This is not OK. Smiley

I assume you need the fronts, not the rear tires? 

--

Do you have 235/35 19 in the front and 305/30 20 MC1 in the rear (both Corsa MC1)?

If yes, there are tires available on reifendirekt.de (rear tires) and reifentiefpreis.de (front tires).

--

I need rear tires. 

I will change it to 245/35/19 in front and leave 305/30/20 at rear. I have Doerr ATS rims so I can go for 245 Mc1

--

AM

Double check the clearance on the rears at 305 to make sure they won't rub the diffuser. I forget what tire setup did it, but I recall certain size larger tires having contact problems with the rear diffuser.

305/30/20 is standard at rear.

--

AM

488 vs 650S from a roll

"Our newest five-star car, the McLaren 720S is the most exciting and entertaining car its maker has ever built. It’s packed with enthralling technology, and has a pace that saw it lap our benchmark handling circuit faster than its stablemate, the McLaren P1." - Autocar

I assume this is the lap they're talking about and here at the cars for comparison. I don't remember what kind of tires the P1 was on. They started doing tests towards the end with Trofeos, but the P1 may have been on Corsa in this test. I assume the 720S was on new Corsas.

1. Porsche 918 Spyder unknown 1:05.70 887 / 1665
    2. McLaren P1 unknown 1:06.80 916 / 1490
    3. Radical SR3 SL unknown 1:08.00 304 / -
    4. Ferrari 488 GTB unknown 1:08.00 670 / 1535
    5. McLaren 650 S Spider unknown 1:08.30 650 / 1471
    6. Ferrari 458 Speciale unknown 1:08.30 605 / 1451
    7. Mercedes-Benz AMG GT R unknown 1:08.30 585 / 1606
    8. Ariel Atom 500 V8 unknown 1:08.40 481 / 550
    9. Veyron 16.4 Super Sport unknown 1:08.50 1199 / 1888
    10. Ferrari F12 Berlinetta unknown 1:08.60 740 / 1699
    11. McLaren MP4-12C unknown 1:08.60 600 / 1434
    12. McLaren 570S unknown 1:08.70 570 / 1462
    13. Ferrari 458 Italia unknown 1:08.90 570 / 1497
    14. McLaren MP4-12C Spider unknown 1:08.90 625 / 1512

noone1:

"Our newest five-star car, the McLaren 720S is the most exciting and entertaining car its maker has ever built. It’s packed with enthralling technology, and has a pace that saw it lap our benchmark handling circuit faster than its stablemate, the McLaren P1." - Autocar

I assume this is the lap they're talking about and here at the cars for comparison. I don't remember what kind of tires the P1 was on. They started doing tests towards the end with Trofeos, but the P1 may have been on Corsa in this test. I assume the 720S was on new Corsas.

I am also excited to see the first comprehensive tests. A test in Sportauto would be most interesting to have soon Smiley

From someone who read the review. It's faster than P1 and slows everything shy of the hypercars out of the water."

"Hi Folks

So the first real test is in from Autocar (available at all good news agents today) and the results are well WOW!! Here are some of the highlights

• The 720s has knocked the 488GTB off its perch and is now regarded according to Autocar as best in class
    • Around the Autocar dry test circuit the 720s is faster than a P1 at 1min 6.1sec vs 1min 6.8sec
    • On the wet circuit the difference is huge, 1min 9.2 sec vs 1min 20.5sec in favour of the 720s
    • Braking from 60-0 mph in 2.44sec in 39.9m compared to 40.9m for the P1
    • Standing quarter of 10.4 sec compared to 10.2 for the P1
    • 0- 190mph in 22.2sec compared to 21.4 for the P1

Negatives seem to be restricted to the sound, not a surprise and as much as I hate to say it probably easily fixed with an aftermarket exhaust and the brakes don’t have that initial bite or feel.

To quote "the 720s could give the 488 a head start of almost 3 seconds allowing the 488 to hit 60mph before the 720s had even moved - and still beat the Italian to 170mph"

Stats at the end of the day only tell part of the story, but the rest of the article states that the 720s is the real deal, happy days.

So what can we conclude? Well this is only one full test, others will follow, but it does appear that McLaren may have winner on its hands"

The 720 is def an impressive product. Def got me thinking about getting one in a year or so....

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

I do most of my street driving in the speed range 0 to 120 kph, so the 720S would clearly suck. angry

For the track and for the Autobahn, things look different of course but let's be honest here: Especially in speed limited countries, the performance in the 0-100 mph speed range is most important plus the sound of the car.

Maybe time for McLaren to offer AWD at least in one of their future models? A modern AWD system shouldn't add more than 40-50 kg of weight.

Regarding the sound: Maybe the LT version will add some sound?!

--

I have my tesla P100D for the 0 to 120kph daily range smiley

The 720 would be a great weekend car for me after my GT3 fix indecision

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab - Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/20/24 4:22 PM
    watt
    684639 1779
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    407556 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255343 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    233985 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    64558 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4614 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

856896 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    771489 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM