Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Headlight black outs

My lights got stolen a few weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone knew if I could buy some headlight blanks for a 997 similar to the ones on race cars???

Re: Headlight black outs

Check with this company. I think he can pretty much make you anything you want

http://www.bumperplugs.com/

I didn't think of that thanks

Eric @ bumper plugs could not be of any help

Yeah, sorry, we don't make anything that size.....

But I would suspect some of the race prep suppliers do.

Thanks Eric

My guess is you'd have to go to a salvage yard, get a pair of headlight units, gut them, and paint them with a can of spray paint.

Re: Xenon stealers should be taken down BIG

Rhino, those lights give me the creeps looking at them.
    Looks like a pissed of fly with big dark eyes....creepy!
    Goodluck, I know why your looking for them.
    I assume your getting another pair of Xenons also?

Yes I'm trying to outsmart the off duty mechanics (I mean bad guys) around my neighborhood. Yesterday I saw another 997Scab a few blocks away with its lights missing . I wish I could turn my car into an old school slant nose or paint those black outs the same color as the car. I don't know what to do; maybe I should try an aftermarket alarm??? or get an AMV8 Vantage.

or this

Quote:
    rhino said:
    don't know what to do;

Hey buddy I wish we were neighbors. I'd (we'd) find a way to attach those suckers with 1/8 inch aviation cable and looped crimps so that they'd have to be un fastened from the trunk interior. Put a warning lable on the fender saying the things don;t just pop out anymore andd are fastened from the inside with cables/chains. Would be Eaaaaaaasy to do. GD things just slide out after retaining clip is depressed (or so I'm guessing from the photos I've seen. I KNOW with a little know how and ingenuity your new ones can be theft proof by fasteneing them in so only having trunk up allows access to attachment points.

We should be pi**se at POrsche for not correcting this GROSS DEFECT since they knew about it from the 996 era.

As far as damage to fenders is concerned, I BELIEVE the crooks can getthem out without ANY damage and once they see they are not coming out "normally" they will [censored] of and go somewhere else leaving maybe just a minor scratch on your car.

Thanks bud I'm going to try an aftermarket alarm and have them wire the sensors directly to the light brackets hopefully that stops them. I would like to run some live wires so the thieves get electrocuted, but then I would probably get in serious trouble forcing me to be the one stealing headlights because my boss doesn't want a murderer in the company.

The most effective solution would be a code chip, similar to what all the radios have now. If disconnected from the car (or if the battery is disconnected), you have to enter a code to make the lights work at all. Given the price of the lights, this would be pretty small change.

The way the lights are mounted is the first problem, they are way to easy to remove!!!

The joke is, the headlights are retained by a piece of cheap bent wire no more substantial than a coat hanger. Found that out when I took the light units out of my car to switch from RHD to LHD for driving in Europe.

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    The joke is, the headlights are retained by a piece of cheap bent wire no more substantial than a coat hanger. Found that out when I took the light units out of my car to switch from RHD to LHD for driving in Europe.

Yeah I was thinking of slathering them with an epoxy paste and sliding them in to harden solid. THEN when the lights MUST come out for maint, just cut thru the sheet metal from inside the trunk to detach them.

Why isn't this a problem with other manufacturer lights? Maybe it is but I would have to think that ease of removal is one reason. Possibly P plan to make the proper changes with the new face lift coming up.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Thanks bud I'm going to try an aftermarket alarm and have them wire the sensors directly to the light brackets hopefully that stops them. I would like to run some live wires so the thieves get electrocuted, but then I would probably get in serious trouble forcing me to be the one stealing headlights because my boss doesn't want a murderer in the company.

The wire catch in the back should help alot.. I think you should eletrocute them. I will vouche for you. Remember, they will fall dead on the side of your car..soo walla.. One less ignorant MFer to deal with...right? Rhino your cool out there in Florida.. . They have 'sonic' alarms I heard for motion??? I think clipping them in with wires will work though..

Get Them Etched With The Car's VIN

I read that this helps. So what exactly are these people doing with the Porsche lights? Do they use the whole light or are they disassembling them?

Re: Get Them Etched With The Car's VIN

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:
    I read that this helps. So what exactly are these people doing with the Porsche lights? Do they use the whole light or are they disassembling them?

I hear they gut them and sell parts to ricers so they can ungrade their cars' headlights

Bastards.

I have heard this is happening to Audi's, Nissans and several others. There was an epidemic up in Boston of them stealing them from Audi's. Costing thousands in damage.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    tincanman99 said:

I hear they gut them and sell parts to ricers so they can ungrade their cars' headlights

ok, I might be ignorant, but what is the use of the blacked outthings then? Do they cover the lights, but do the lights still work, or do you take the lghts out,and replace them by the blacked out plastics?
    -Joost-

I wanted to replace the lights with the blacked out plastics (paint them the same as the body color) and then put the zenon lights in place of the ones used for fog lights. Then keep the factory headlight assembly in storage until I am ready to sell the car and put it back to stock.

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:
    Bastards.

May I suggest dear sir that your choice of expletives should be vastly more extreme and numerous?

rhino,

Can you post a pic of your car sans headlights?

This is a very bad situation where you can't even park your car in public without losing your headlights. How would get home after a late show?

Dan

The fog lights work very well alone, so I figured if I replace them with the xenon bulb and put blank covers on the light openings I would be alright. After thinking about it for a while I am going to try the aftermarket alarm. I will take pics from my phone and post them today.

That actually sounds like a reasonable solution. Drive with just the fog lights. If the police question you on it tell them that you have gotten tired of them not caring much about repeated reports of stolen headlights, and can't spring for your deductible every other week to replace them.

dan

The winner from Sat GrandAm race has one..
    Suppose you could email Tafel Racing and find out their source

Thanks Trundle997S nice find. It's much better than the one I found I will definitely give them a call.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764444 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436577 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261080 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257995 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82661 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5329 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

876949 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809032 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM