Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Advice on new C4S purchase for newbie?

Greetings! I'm new to this forum and have been avidly reading up - it's truly a great resource.

So would love some advice on my potential new purchase. I currently have an '04 M3 (manual - lease up in Dec) and, like many before me, looking to step up to a P-car.

First, I've read about the likely MY2008 face-lift due out next year (somewhere between May and Sept according to the posts). All of the rumored improvements sound great (AWD from TT on C4, power boost, Sat, bluetooth etc.), but since my lease is expiring, I'm not sure what I would do if I waited, and waiting 12 months is not really "just around the corner." Mistake to buy today? Will the new intro add significant depreciation of the current model?

As for specs, would love comments on the following:

C4S Coupe - want to be able to track, but since it's my first P-car, I'm thinking the "4" for added stability for those of us not used to rear engine oversteer (smart? not?). Plus added benefit for northeast winters

- Midnight blue (E9) over black full leather (AT) - know this is subjective, but anyone have experience with this color combo? (I assume no resale issues?)
    - M6A Black mats
    - P01L Adaptive sport seats
    - XSC Porsche crest in headrest (from my reading it seems like it just ain't complete without this)
    - 640 Sport Chrono Pkg Plus (for the sport button, if not the clock)
    - 670 Nav for PCM (addictive to my current Nav)
    - 680 Bose High End Sound (even the premium HK sound in the M3 is terrible, so I'm wary of base sound pkg)
    - 267 Self dimming mirror (found these useful on the M3)
    - XLF Sport Exhaust Kit - Love the sound! Considered X51, but like others said - you put that on a C2S and you're in GT3 pricing and on a C4S it's Turbo land. But here's what I don't get - if there could be a 20 horse boost to the MY 2008 at a normal pricing step-up, how does Porsche justify that to those who spend $16,900 for similar increases? (silly question I guess - they don't)
    - XRR 19" Carrera Sport Wheel - Any comments on these vs. Carrera Classic (405)?
    - XPA Thicker wheel

Other options I considered but don't think I want to spend more:
    - 342 Heated seats - seems like many people order this, but I think more useful in a Cab than coupe
    - XAJ Std Rocker Panels Painted - nice to have, but probably not needed for a dark color ext?
    - Rear center console - what do people think here? I can't remember how good/bad the stock injection molded one looks - Ok as is? Strongly recommend painted? aluminum? leather?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Re: Advice on new C4S purchase for newbie?

Welcome aboard avogues! Cool specs. Do you plan to buy or lease again? Did you have a chance to drive a C2S? I just think that the rear wheel drive Carrera's more sporty and fun than the C4 or C4S. It depends on what you're looking for. Either way you can't go wrong..

If you do plan on driving all year, then the awd makes sense. However, Porsche has tamed the rear engine layout, especially with PSM standard. I would not get a Carrera 4S out of fear of oversteer. In fact, if you plan to track, you'll be a better driver in a rear wheel drive 997 eventually.

On wet pavement, snow, traction limited, then you'll be able to exploit the AWD--it's truly amazing in those conditions. But you don't need AWD, for example, to drive a 997 in the rain. It's really not a tail happy car when driven appropriately to the conditions.

As far as 08 models, some of the items (bluetooth, getting the AWD system from the Turbo) you may not see, especially bluetooth. Horsepower increases with Porsche are difficult to predict--the 997 may not see a bump in 08--would the 997 S get up to the rated horsepower of X51? You'd hope, eventually. I certainly wouldn't opt for X51 if you're planning to lease/own for 3-4 years.

But back to the next horsepower increase, right now with the targa and GT3 coming out, Porsche may be content to sit tight and let the current configurations play into 08 without a horsepower increase, especially if they can continue to get buyers to opt for X51--they had supply shortages and had suspended X51 availability for a good part of the 06 production run.

On your options list, even with a black interior, I'd do something with the center console--cover it in leather, carbon fiber, or aluminum look paint. The base plastic on the console stinks--it's the cheapest part of the whole interior. Not so sure about painting it exterior color (black and blue interior).

As for heated seats, I'm not a big fan of them (always seem too hot for my comfort level) but I'm in Dallas where it's not really cold very often. In the Northeast, that's something you'd likely want.

Quote:
    JMShrink said:
    Welcome aboard avogues! Cool specs. Do you plan to buy or lease again? Did you have a chance to drive a C2S? I just think that the rear wheel drive Carrera's more sporty and fun than the C4 or C4S. It depends on what you're looking for. Either way you can't go wrong..

Thanks. I haven't finalized my thoughts on financing, but may go with a short term lease as it's my first Porsche - though I imagine it's a car I won't want to give up. I test drove a C4 and I've driven a 996 TT and a 996 C2 (friends' cars). Truth is, I haven't spent enough time with any of them to develop a personal view. AWD in the northeast sounds nice to have - though a friend with a GT2 (haven't driven his yet) has said that AWD can quickly become no-wheel-drive for the uninitiated.

Do you use your C2 in Michigan winters?

Great specs. The way I see it is if you go for the C4S or C2S w/X51 it will be all good. Even if the price comes close to the GT3 and TT they are different cars. The GT3 is a track car that you can dirve on the road. The TT is a road car that will flat out rock and roll due to the TT. Is it overkill, who knows. A C2S/C4S w/X51 gives you the best of both worlds. No matter which way you go you will be happy. As for waiting for MY08 I say go for it now. Waiting a year for something that is just a rumor isn't something I would do at this point since it is a year or so away.

Thanks for all of the responses and advice!

I had a non-4 997 in NY this winter and had ZERO issues with traction. I would do a C2S w/ X51 if you are serious about tracking the car, however, have you thought that maybe a car that you track is not really a car you should be using in the snow?

Quote:
    avogues said:
    Do you use your C2 in Michigan winters?

I've had my C2 since the end of March this year. I don't plan to drive it this winter. I have a SUV for days that it rains or snows. I drive my C2 on the nice weather days and so far I've put on 4300 miles. If I did drive it in the winter, I'd just put on a set of winter tires(18s). AWD is not a must, but the right tires are. BTW, I'm moving to sunny California next year. Then it'll be goodbye to Michigan winters! Good luck with your order..

I like how you said stepping up to a Pcar!!!
    M3's are really nice, but a different german breed.
    I have Midnight Blue with Stone grey, was a no brainer choice at the time, but I really wish I would of looked at the Cocoa color interior, its soo unique.
    IMO, black is too harsh for Midnight Blue , but its a classic color!!

I love my heated seats, cant live w/o them, especially in winter cold morning start ups, but even this morning at 8am going to the Starbucks drive through I had it on low.

I had my console painted midnight blue, get it now if you like something different.
    Have a clear bra added into the deal, or have them give you a price and have one done right at purchase.

If you love a killer diller stereo, even the Bose upgrade wont satisfy your thirst for excellent sound.
    lastly,
    The XRR wheels 19' are HOT, look really nice on the 997
    Thicker steering wheel seems to be the 'in' thing now!!

I sold my BMW M3 convertible 2004. I now drive 2006 C4S and have two set of rims...summer and winter. I really love the C4S. The M3 is a wonderful car but the C4S is special. I think traction in the C2 or C4 will not be a problem, the winter tires will really help. The C4S is not really for 4X4 winter driving compare to the C2. Bothe are adequate. The C4S is really much sexier than the C2. Heated seats were a must for me. I have a coupe, but I am spoiled. I did NOT want another rag top as they are toooo noisey and not as rigid. I am not sorry I left the M3 behind, but it remians a powerful machine...it's just not a Porsche!

I drive a C4S with X51 and it is fantastic. To be fair, I have not had the chance to test it straight up in aggressive driving versus a non X51 CS or C4S; I drove a 2002 996 prior. That said, it is one freaking fast car and is dramatically faster than a late model 996. I don't see how the performance could be this different just from the shorter gearing of the 997 and an extra 30 bhp of the 3.8l versus the 3.6l engine in the S models; the X51 adds some serious kick to the car. Torque is excellent in the X51 from about 2,400 rpms up and it just rips over 4,500. I don't know if the price difference versus a comparably equipped turbo is appropriate (less than 18% I think) but if you desire a daily driver with a little more stealth than a turbo it is a good buy. I kind of like the exclusivity of the X51 also. The C4S handles very well and steering is quite light (I don't understand these 'heavy feel' comments that are claimed for the 4 wheelers). And it looks great from almost any angle.

I had a C2S and now I have the C4S, i will be driving it in the winter and I prefer the slightly wider shape, but as for driving the C2S felt a good deal better. It was more fun, and if you are going to track it the C2S would make most sense, the steering feel is noticably better.
    I had the carrera Classic wheels, and now have standard lobster forks, I did not realise how good I had it over cleaning them, but a comment on this forum about the lobster forks being the model wheel for my car sold me and I remain converted. The sport wheels are hell to clean by all accounts.
    I recently drove the Turbo at the dealers, and I am afraid all of that power is addictive, if I was in for a new car at present, and especially given your long (and expensive) option list, I would look at a near standard Turbo, it has many of the options, such as Bose and dimming mirrors and different wheels. There cannot be much differnece in price and wow how it goes. The salesman put his foot down the first time when warming it up for me and I got that primate reaction where your hands go out to either side because you are falling out of a tree! How much fun could you have with that.

Hi Avogues...
    Welcome to the forum. I think the decision for 4S vs 2S should boil down to three things:
    1) In the NE, the AWD is great for the winter. If it's going to be a daily driver (mine is), go for the AWD.
    2) If you like the curvier hips, go for the 4S
    3) If you want to be a little different, go for the 4S
    Regardless of which model you get, you'll want to invest in snow tires for the winter.
    As far as tracking goes, you'll have a blast with ANY 997.
    I wouldn't fixate too much on the potential offering from Porsche in terms of hp increases. Whatever extra power is added in 08 (if any), it will not be a deal breaker. Besides, next thing you know, you'll be wondering about the 998 models!!!!
    Go for it.
    Also, make sure those adaptive seats fit your frame. I really wanted to get them but I felt truly uncomfortable in them. Go to the dealer and try cars with each type of seat. In the NE, those heated seats are well worth the money.
    Enjoy - the waiting is a good part of the fun.

That does sound very cool.

Yes, the Turbo is well priced and the Turbo base model is loaded. When I saw the sticker at my dealer I was shocked. Porsche has an EXTRA fee for what should be standard on a $100K car. They charge extra for what you get from Honda as standard. Yet, I was happy to see that Porsche really stepped up to the bat and priced the Turbo slick. A really loaded S is priced close to a turbo for what you get. I think the car should sell. The two best buys are the base C2 and the Turbo. All the others 997s are set up to force you to buy high margin extras. In the end you need to buy what you want NOW and never worry about next year and more HP as with that logic you will never buy any car, but just wish and dream.

Quote:
    Coochas said:
    Hi Avogues...
    Welcome to the forum. I think the decision for 4S vs 2S should boil down to three things:
    1) In the NE, the AWD is great for the winter. If it's going to be a daily driver (mine is), go for the AWD.
    Regardless of which model you get, you'll want to invest in snow tires for the winter.
    I wouldn't fixate too much on the potential offering from Porsche in terms of hp increases. Whatever extra power is added in 08 (if any), it will not be a deal breaker. Besides, next thing you know, you'll be wondering about the 998 models!!!!
    Go for it.
    Also, make sure those adaptive seats fit your frame. I really wanted to get them but I felt truly uncomfortable in them. Go to the dealer and try cars with each type of seat. In the NE, those heated seats are well worth the money.

Agree!

Welcome Avogues.

Quote:
    Coochas said:
    Hi Avogues...
    Go for it.

Completely agree

I picked up mine in Stuttgart on the 27th of July, C4S Cab X51 AWESOME You will not regret it.

I will post some pics soon.

Please do! Pictures please!

Get the turbo, you won't regret it. Amongst the host of standard features; nav, Bose, full leather, power seats, self dimming mirrors, metallic exterior colors, (even an $800.00 U.S. dollar discount on special colors) the new AWD, wider hips, etc... you get IMMENSE power that can be used daily in any driving situation at low rpms. And if you stay on the gas, holy s**t!
    Resale will be better too.

Quote:
    Vincenzina said:

I love my heated seats, cant live w/o them, especially in winter cold morning start ups, but even this morning at 8am going to the Starbucks drive through I had it on low.

Vickie - Maybe you should wear more appropriate clothing.

I take it that it is you in your avatar?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690722 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409918 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256109 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235351 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65728 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858667 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774872 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM