Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Instrument dials in guards red option

Dear Friends,

I am currently defining the specs for the replacement of my 997C2. Can someone post a pic showing the instrument dials in guards red, please ? The car will be meteor grey, with black interior. I am thinking of having the seat belts and instruments in red to recall the red break calipers.

Thank you in advance

Re: Instrument dials in guards red option

What are you replacing it with?

Gnil,

I am currently having the same dilemna you had at the time, i.e. difficulty to decide between a C2S and a C4S. I love the feeling of the C2S better than the C4S, but as I am living in the mountains, the 4S may be a better choice even if I rarely drive in winter. Also, the additional 44mm on the C4S are very attractive...

if you are upgrading, and you want to make it worth your while, include the Carrera Power Kit in your order sheet... you'd be going from 325 bhp to 381 bhp... the extra 44 mm certainly look better, but I'd give priority to the Power kit, unless money is no issue...

I saw them on a showroom 987 Boxster - they were not very legible to my eyes, didn't look too attractive and were a waste of money IMO.

Not the best pic of them i'm afraid, but should give you an idea

Here's another i found on the US ebay site for a 996 Turbo

Many thanks for the pics, Percymon. Indeed, it doesn't look too good on the 996TT.

Actually, I was thinking of having the instruments in red looking at the pic below posted by Kunal in the Ferrari board. Quite nice in the Ferrari IMO :

They do look good in the Ferrari, maybe just a single dial in red is less intense ont he eyes !

Had red dials/stitching/belts on a 996TTS I recently owned....red dials were simply awful in terms of legibility; in P, red dials actually appear more bordeaux-like in many lights...my second 996TTS had the alum dials...which were brilliant in readability/aesthetics

On F, the red tach is more legible than P's red dials (have had two 430s w/red tachs), but on 599 have spec'd yell tach for even better legibility...and coordination w/yell F logo on steering wheel air bag cover.....

Quote:
    Nico997 said:
    Gnil,

I am currently having the same dilemna you had at the time, i.e. difficulty to decide between a C2S and a C4S. I love the feeling of the C2S better than the C4S, but as I am living in the mountains, the 4S may be a better choice even if I rarely drive in winter. Also, the additional 44mm on the C4S are very attractive...

..and I would now change mine for the C2S. Had a chat today at the garage with my dealer to see how much it would cost me change next summer. ideally I should wait for the 998..but..
    Are you going to get the face lifted version or are you not waiting that long?

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Quote:
    Nico997 said:
    Gnil,

..and I would now change mine for the C2S. Had a chat today at the garage with my dealer to see how much it would cost me change next summer. ideally I should wait for the 998..but..

I am frustrated about the way my car behave around twisty B roads. Even with full tank and trail breaking I have understeer. The front end is really nervous trying hard to get some grip especially over hot bumpy tarmac.

I don't know, i always have the feeling that the experience would be much better with -20mmm and i can't decide if i should trade in for a C4S with sport chassis (there isn't any pres car for test drive).
    Last week i had an Audi RS4 for a couple of days. I followed the same winding road and the car was flying. Awesome.

May be in countries with poor tarmac, 4wd is a bonus. Gnil, does your car has a real benefit over bumpy, slippery roads?

I 'm seriously thinking to sell my C2S and forget all about it trynig something that copes better in Greece.

Red dials/belt looks good in my opinion...Even better with red stiching and mats

Quote:
    zoltan said:

I am frustrated about the way my car behave around twisty B roads. Even with full tank and trail breaking I have understeer. The front end is really nervous trying hard to get some grip especially over hot bumpy tarmac.

May be in countries with poor tarmac, 4wd is a bonus. Gnil, does your car has a real benefit over bumpy, slippery roads?

I 'm seriously thinking to sell my C2S and forget all about it trynig something that copes better in Greece.

Without sounding like i'm criticising your driving style (and completely off topic for this thread) trail braking is not the best way to get any Porsche round a corner - all braking should be completed in a straight line, the correct gear selected for the curve ahead and the power gently applied into the bend, balancing the car in the bend and then applying progressively more power as the vanishing point goes away from you (ie the bend opens out)

A 4WD chasis is more forgiving to understeer and gives you the confidence to get the power on earlier, but think about your driving of your current car - that rear end really does take some shifting if you keep the car balanced.

Before you give up on your C2S think about spending 700 euros or less for some on road high performance tuition - its the best money i ever spent on my cars.

For some time I debated Guards Red Instruments and Seat Belts before placing my order. In fact it plagued me for some time after the order went in.

Anyway, after taking delivery of my car I subsequently changed my mind about the Red Instruments, although they look mint I have come to terms with it fairly easily, however, Black is what I should have gone for but was persuaded to stick with the standard by friends. As the Seat belts can be retro-fitted this remains an option albeit more expensive.

If you do go for both, now this is my opinion, the red stitching doesn't really look right, perhaps too much red. I'm not sure if this red stitching is standard if you order red clocks, if it is I'm so glad I never went for it.

The seatbelts matching the brake callipers looks just right.

dg911, your interior looks great . I like the red stitching and dials, but not the red piping on the mats though..

Quote:
    zoltan said:
    Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Quote:
    Nico997 said:
    Gnil,

I don't know, i always have the feeling that the experience would be much better with -20mmm and i can't decide if i should trade in for a C4S with sport chassis (there isn't any pres car for test drive).
    Last week i had an Audi RS4 for a couple of days. I followed the same winding road and the car was flying. Awesome.

Sorry to carry on the off topic.
    The -20 mm on very bumpy roads makes the car MORE nervous then the PASM. The 4WD, like said makes the car really stick and gives more confidence to open throttle earlier.
    Like said all, braking must be done before the curve, but with the 4WD I guess one can more easily correct a mistake when in the curve

thanks Gnil

Here's a photo from Rennteam.

IMO, People shouldn't do anything to the car that creates a "red herring" situation.

IOW, THE FIRST THING everybody notices is your purple guages and purple seatbelts and then asks you why you ordered them and your answer is "because I thought they look cool," then the person says, "Oh." End of conversation.

OR: the next question is "why doesn't the 'clock' face match?"

Quote:
    Gnil said:..and I would now change mine for the C2S. Had a chat today at the garage with my dealer to see how much it would cost me change next summer. ideally I should wait for the 998..but..

Gnil,

Interesting. You too prefer how the C2S handles or are there any other reasons ?

Re. the facelift, I don't know yet if I am going to wait or not. I have a factory tour planed on 5 September and will try to get more precise info there.

At the moment, there is a strong demand for second hand 997s and I can make quite a good deal by selling my car now.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Here's a photo from Rennteam.

IMO, People shouldn't do anything to the car that creates a "red herring" situation.

IOW, THE FIRST THING everybody notices is your purple guages and purple seatbelts and then asks you why you ordered them and your answer is "because I thought they look cool," then the person says, "Oh." End of conversation.

OR: the next question is "why doesn't the 'clock' face match?"

MMD,

Very, very good points, thanks

ResB, VKSF, dg911,

Many thanks for you very helpful contributions

It' s just the handling , but I must say that I got used to my C4S now.. and enjoy it a lot too

One more thing, I'm a minimalist (less is more) and when I see colored seat belts I try to keep my mouth shut. They are long, strappy, floppy, twisted, saggy, and strictly and totally functional, so why on Earth would they get so much vibrating attention in the car? I could guess that they are "emergency equipment" which is REQUIRED to be bright red or yellow in a *track* car? Sounds kinda like a too lame reason. Sorry, just my opinion... .

Quote:
    MMD said:
    One more thing, I'm a minimalist (less is more) and when I see colored seat belts I try to keep my mouth shut. They are long, strappy, floppy, twisted, saggy, and strictly and totally functional, so why on Earth would they get so much vibrating attention in the car? I could guess that they are "emergency equipment" which is REQUIRED to be bright red or yellow in a *track* car? Sounds kinda like a too lame reason. Sorry, just my opinion... .

I totaly agree! I tried to...but I have yet not found colored seat belts attractive! Maybe the air bag covers should be red too

Quote:
    Gnil said:

Just to keep you posted, I finally decided to keep my good old 997. Indeed, I drove tested a 997 C2S again and find too little differences for my style of driving with my 997 C2 to justify to put a few additional thousands francs to get a new car. My dealer drove my car and said he was amazed how good indeed is my current car and agreed with the very small gap compared to the 997 C2S. Note that I am not doing track days which in this case would have certainly justified to go for a 997 C2S.

In addition, I did some colour comparisons and it appeared that I would have gone a second time for arctic silver. So, almost no esthetical differences with my car.

So, I have decided to invest in a few options that were not available at the time I ordered my car, i.e. PSE, short shifter and Carrera Sport 19" wheels. The car is going on surgery next week

@ Nico: Wise move!

@ MMD: I completely agree with your idea about red/yellow seat belts. But in my own case, I've chosen a cocoa interior with a GT silver car. I didn't want black belts (black and brown don't blend). My silver grey seat belts actually blend better with my overall interior/exterior combination.

Easy, your car will look fantastic
    Silver Grey Seatbelts blend perfectly with Cocoa - IMO not "blingy" at all
    Stay brave - only two more weeks to go for you
    Here's a small appetizer (though only the scaled down version of your baby)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689871 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409397 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235051 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65570 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858149 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774247 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM