Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Today I got a puncture....

Quote:
    snarf said:
    This is the response I received from my dealer re the 996 collapsable spare option for the 997:

"Even though the 996 space saver might physically fit it is doubtful that it would be safe.

The 996 had a maximum wheel size of 18", whereas the 997 C2 S has 19" wheels as standard. The overall diameters and the rolling radius of the wheel/tyre assemblies are different on a 996 than a 997, which might make the car unstable and cause problems with the cars electronic systems.

We would not therefore be able to confirm that it is safe to do this and should you choose to do so it would be entirely at your own risk, both to your safety and to the reliability of the car.

However, in some markets Porsche are still required to provide a space saver spare and it should be possible for us to obtain the parts for a 997 C2 S if desired.

An initial investigation indicates that the parts required are as follows:

Emergency Wheel @ Pounds432.84 + vat
    Boot For Emergency Wheel @ Pounds196.00 + vat
    Scissors Type Jack @ Pounds81.34 + vat
    Foam Part @ Pounds21.03 + vat
    Threaded Bolt for Assembly Wheel @ Pounds3.79 + vat"

This fits on top of one of the rear seats - I've seen a picture somewhere - looks like a large black bag sitting on a polystyrene foam moulding restrained by the seat belt.

More dealer BS!

BS point one: first of all the tire supplied by porsche that fits in the back seat is the non-collapsible "space saver" spare found on the 986 and 996. IT TOO HAS THE EXACT SAME 26" DIAMETER AS THE INFLATED COLLAPSIBLE SPARE (26 inches).

BS point two: the collapsible spare (same 26 inch inflated diameter as the 996/986 "space saver" spare provided by Porsche which fits in the baack seat) is reccommended by the Porsche Club of America Technical section of their website.

So you have your choice of two spares, both 26 inch working diameter overall (unlike our 997 tires which are 27 inch diameter overall). Collapsible one fits in trunk (because of smaller DE-flated diameter) with useable space left over. You also can choose the "space saver" which must be slanted to fit in the trunk and takes up all the room (that the main reason why it's in the back seat).

Dealers are suuuuuuch aholes. Just making sh*t up as they go along; insted of getting on the phone and learning new information.

Finally replaced the tyre with a new one - I did both rears in the end as the other one only had about 1mm tread on it. Total cost for 2 Pirellis (P-zeros) was Pounds550.

That's very good information. Any part numbers for the "Emergency Wheel" would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    Dan L said:

MMD,--I flat ran out of time to price check that set up at the factory but have been told that there MAY be an issue with that setup fitting on the PCCB equipped cars. Any insight? Maybe some evening I can get you to measure your inside diameter with some calipers. I'm of the impression that the PCCBs may be too big to fit that 996 spare.

Dan

Fits both black calipers and red calipers (front and back) on the 997.

Don't know about the PCCB, I

I guess there is a good chance it will fit because the rim of the spare MIGHT be the same ID as the 19 inch wheel.

Good question though... . If I were near the car I'd run out and give it a quick measure... . If you didn't have "official" confirmation from Porsche, you'd really need to try it on your actual wheel though... . I was told if it clears the calipers it's fine, even by a tiny 2-3 mm, you're only going 50-60 mph on the spare anyway.

thanks for the measurements. will attempt to do a fit check here sometime.

Dan

Quote:
    Dan L said:

thanks for the measurements. will attempt to do a fit check here sometime.

Dan

Hey Dan, you're welcome.

I've been looking at pictures of PCCBS (sorry no real-life ones around my "circuit').

It doesn't look good, though. Your clearances look reeeeeally minimal (like a half-inch or less!). Plus we're assuming the inside contour of the wheel is shaped such that the big squarish-edged calipers will clear... .

Good luck.

If the spare doesn't work at least you can get a jack/wrench and a DIY plug kit for a roadside repair of a puncture.

My wife's audi has two or three DIY plugs still going strong (she's "got no time" for proper repairs).

Quote:
    1st997 said:
    That's very good information. Any part numbers for the "Emergency Wheel" would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I can't help with part numbers at the moment I'll try and obtain info from dealer next week. However, having read MMD's comments you might want to consider the the 996 kit as this would be more ecconomical on space.

Found this picture on my hard drive, unfortunately I didn't keep a reference to its source.

Quote:
    1st997 said:

Here it is from the Porsche Club of America website, tech section

--------------------------------

You can buy a spare for the 997. Part number 99636202002 and the cover 99636152100. Unfortunately, the wheel will take up half of the trunk to put it in.

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 8/8/2005

--------------------------------------

Here it is from the Porsche Club of America website, tech section

--------------------------------

You can buy a spare for the 997. Part number 99636202002 and the cover 99636152100. Unfortunately, the wheel will take up half of the trunk to put it in.

Peter Smith - PCA WebSite - 8/8/2005
    --------------------------------------

Not sure but I think it was Coochas (aka Dave) that posted the following parts list for the 996 kit:

996-362-020-02 Emergency tire (996)
    996-722-101-00 Wheel Insert
    996-721-211-00 Scissors Jack
    999-571-074-30 Mounting Bolt
    999-361-521-00 Tire Bolt
    996-361-411-00 Belt

Note that the item 996-361-521-00 is described by MMD as a cover but as a tire bolt in the above list.

Quote:
    snarf said:

Note that the item 996-361-521-00 is described by MMD as a cover but as a tire bolt in the above list.

Don't blame me, I'm quoting Peter Smith of PCA.

anyway it appears Peter Smith (and I) are correct. Here's numbers from another source.

The tire bolt number is 999-571-074-30
    "tire boot" (a large plastic bag) is 999-361-521-00

Coochas goofed or is quoting someone who goofed, whomever made a typo, insted of "tire BOOT," they typed "tire BOLT"

Details! What a PITA

Today I got delivery of my spare collapsible tyre with the foam insert, the boot (which is nothing more than a large plastic bag resembling a trash bag) and the belt. I am puzzled as to the use of the belt as it is too short to hold the foam insert in place. My best guess is that it is used to hold the tool kit (for which I am still waiting)inside the spare and, since it has a loop on it, that may be used to aid in removing it from the trunk without it falling from your hands on top of the car. It is a red belt with a loop on one end and a black plastic snap-on clip. If anyone can shed some light into the use of that belt, I'd really appreciate it! I already had the jack and mounting bolt. Now, I know someone mentioned that it must be stored inside the trunk in a slanted position but, how do I do that without it distorting the plastic cover for the CD Changer by the bulkhead/firewall??? And how does one prevent it from swaying from side to side every time one corners??? Any help, again, would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

Sorry I can't help with part numbers at the moment I'll try and obtain info from dealer next week.

As promised part numbers supplied by dealer all prices GBP:

Emergency Wheel @ 432.84 + vat
    996 362 020 03

Boot For Emergency Wheel @ 196.00 + vat
    996 361 521 00

Scissors Type Jack @ 81.34 + vat
    996 721 211 00

996 722 101 00

Threaded Bolt for Assembly Wheel @ 3.79 + vat
    999 571 074 30

I was suprised that this is nearly identical to the 996 kit suggested by others and dismissed by my dealer as unsuitable. There are, however, a few differences - the part nmber for the wheel ends in 03 and not 02 and the description of parts does not match exactly - looks as though some items and numbers have been transposed.

i am trying to be prepared.. i've assembled my best guess of the stuff i would need to attempt a flat repair in , say the middle of no-where usa , which would be complete with no cel phone service. all this is independent of whatever porsche has supplied somewhere upfront.

needle nose pliers - to remove offending object
    tire repair kit - rubber plugs and glue, plug puteriner
    box cutter to trim rubber plug
    valve core removal tool.
    large can of tire inflater stuff
    pressure guage
    tp guage

if this dosen't work next step is to push it over the nearest cliff, be seriously pissed at the porsche idiots, swear off porsche's for a long time.

in the event i ultimately go donut spare i'm gonna leave my expensive rim and flat tire for the buzzards

Add:

Flashlight
    Gloves
    Large plastic bags / sheet (if you have to get down on the ground...)

(And a gun a shot th Porsche before you push it over the cliff - sorry, I couldn't resist that one).

I carry a spare tire and tool kit, etc. from a 996 along with what you've listed. I hope this is the first car that I have ever owned that did NOT get a flat.

Ronnie, regarding inside wear on rear tires, check your alignment. I had the same problem and found my camber settings to be outside the spec from the factory. Excellencent post on spare tire.

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    large can of tire inflater stuff
    pressure guage
    tp guage

I would get a small 12V air compressor instead.

I just paid $100K for a car, I have no spare tire , I have to resort to my own devices to figure out screwy workarounds because the company does not offer an easy soluton, whats wrong with this picture.

Quote:
    chapse said:
    I just paid $100K for a car, I have no spare tire , I have to resort to my own devices to figure out screwy workarounds because the company does not offer an easy soluton, whats wrong with this picture.

having trouble viewing the picture...do I click on something?

I know...I was in a loaner for four days because of a rear flat. Roadside assis. would only haul it to the dealer 60 miles away and they didn't have the tire in stock!

Quote:
    snarf said:
    There are, however, a few differences - the part nmber for the wheel ends in 03 and not 02 and the description of parts does not match exactly - looks as though some items and numbers have been transposed.

I'm not an expert but I have come to believe those last two numbers are not important to us. They probably indicate the supplier/mfgr-ing facility or something. I got two "identical" oil filters for my car; same part number except for different last two numbers... .

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    Today I got delivery of my spare collapsible tyre with the foam insert, the boot (which is nothing more than a large plastic bag resembling a trash bag) and the belt. I am puzzled as to the use of the belt as it is too short to hold the foam insert in place. My best guess is that it is used to hold the tool kit (for which I am still waiting)inside the spare and, since it has a loop on it, that may be used to aid in removing it from the trunk without it falling from your hands on top of the car. It is a red belt with a loop on one end and a black plastic snap-on clip. If anyone can shed some light into the use of that belt, I'd really appreciate it! I already had the jack and mounting bolt. Now, I know someone mentioned that it must be stored inside the trunk in a slanted position but, how do I do that without it distorting the plastic cover for the CD Changer by the bulkhead/firewall??? And how does one prevent it from swaying from side to side every time one corners??? Any help, again, would be greatly appreciated.

Can be mounted UPRIGHT like shown in photo below.

Simple weldment of a nut on a plate is then poprivited into position shown. Threaded rod and wing nut with large wooden "washer" are then applied.

Quote:
    GA997S said:
    Quote:
    chapse said:

having trouble viewing the picture...do I click on something?

I know...I was in a loaner for four days because of a rear flat. Roadside assis. would only haul it to the dealer 60 miles away and they didn't have the tire in stock!

Well BMW's answer to this conundrum of no spare tire is to use run flats all around , is there a more elogant solution by the bavarian elves at stuttgart.

That is a very practical solution. I intend to keep my car for a long time, unless it gives problems with some kind of engine failure (I hope not). Therefore, I am not concerned that I would be modifying the car somehow by riveting something onto its firewall. Thanks for the idea.

Cayman

Would this "solution" work on a Cayman? Can you fit the space saver spare in the front boot of the Cayman?

i got a flat tire and waited for the stupid road side assistance for more than an hour. To top that off, my freakin rims also got punctured. I had to replace one rim for almost $1200 + the cost of tire.

unfortunately i don't think this problem is going away so.. i'm adding a replacement to my kit of s--t that i'm hoping will be helpful when the eventuality arrives. i had a small coleman, yup , compressor kit that actually came with a previous porsche. it looked marginal. so i just ordered a heavier duty looking 12v unit from griot's garage that at least looks up to the task. it's item # 10296 on their website.

Quote:
    snarf said:
    Quote:

Sorry I can't help with part numbers at the moment I'll try and obtain info from dealer next week.

As promised part numbers supplied by dealer all prices GBP:

Emergency Wheel @ 432.84 + vat
    996 362 020 03

Boot For Emergency Wheel @ 196.00 + vat
    996 361 521 00

Scissors Type Jack @ 81.34 + vat
    996 721 211 00

996 722 101 00

Threaded Bolt for Assembly Wheel @ 3.79 + vat
    999 571 074 30

Snarf, are you sure you got charged UKP 196.00 for the Boot For Emergency Wheel (996 361 521 00) as it is $3 here !!!

I've decided to go for the spare but after a chat with Suncoast I am concerned about it knocking on the hood and possibly denting it from below. Therefore have also decided to go for the Das Schild liner. Any thoughts?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM